Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

Hmm, I like this new arena. I feel a bit more pressure to score my best now. Currently, my 4696 points got me at tier 15, rank 4,339 (enough to go up by 2 tiers as of now, but it's certainly not going to last).

Fumbled my 7th arena streak by not noticing someone's Eirika had Swordbreaker on... and that cost me 2 units. Such shame, much sadness. Wow.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Othin said:

That doesn't sound quite right. Tier 17 and below put up many more players than they put down, so below Tier 17, the tier sizes should start shrinking quite a bit. Meanwhile, there's plenty of room in the upper tiers, so when things settle a bit, most players should actually be in Tier 17+ (~70%). The Tier 14-17 range should only end up with ~50% of players (with quite a bit of overlap because of Tier 17 being so large, being between a primarily-up tier and a primarily-down tier).

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 3.01.31 PM.png

These numbers certainly aren't exact, since they assume a perfect equilibrium which will never exist because of new players constantly joining Tier 7, but they should be a reasonable estimate.

Woops, I must have misremembered then. Thanks for the correction.

This gives a similar spread to the table you posted, albeit in percents, which I used as my reference. The main point is that hardly anyone will be T13 or less, while the rest of the playerbase is concentrated in the remaining tiers save T19 and T20.

I'm glad defense wins now has more tiers for feathers, so it partly makes up for the loss from getting 2,500 from ranked before. Also surprised I got a defense win so fast last night. I'd actually accidentally set up my offense team in the first slot, so somebody lost to the team I was using to do my runs rather than one I actually set up for defense. I really wish this game let you see defense replays.

27 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

I'm glad defense wins now has more tiers for feathers, so it partly makes up for the loss from getting 2,500 from ranked before. Also surprised I got a defense win so fast last night. I'd actually accidentally set up my offense team in the first slot, so somebody lost to the team I was using to do my runs rather than one I actually set up for defense. I really wish this game let you see defense replays.

same here. i'd also like to see some replays of when my defense team loses because i'm having a dry spell lately no matter what i do ;u;

meanwhile Death Blow Reinfart doing 0 damage to my Felicia is a good time.

Score of 4746, rank 3300 tier 15. I'm expecting to be at least tier 16 by the end of this season. Used 5* chrom, 5* robin(m), 4* robin (f) and 5* clarine. 

The new maps are a nice change but did take a while to get used too. I still don't feel that confident using terrain at the moment. 

I don't think the arena's necessarily harder, I just think the changes need some getting used to.  I really struggled my first two matches (lost the first, won the second but it was tough), but I adjusted my play style and I've been doing better since. I do like how defensive units are more useful now.  Before offense was way more important but these new tiles are make high defense units a pain to take down.

I'm probably not going to run a bonus unit this season though.   Felicia was enough of a weakness on last week's arena.   I think I need to get more used to the changes before I put handicap on myself.

I'm beginning to regret investing all that SP into Vantage Fury Anna, and would've rather done Life And Desperation Anna, but I don't have anyone to comfortably let Anna gobble up for L&D. Time will let this one slide I suppose until L&D fodder hits my plate.

Running Alfonse in tandem with Anna is pretty awful but I don't want to invest skills into my +Res -Def Marth because while he's i guess safer to run than Alfalfa, I just don't get much out of him from anything other than Spur Spd. This makes me hope I get some sweet red pulls during Celica banner

I managed to get a seven streak. Only two deaths, surprisingly. Still disliking the new maps, but oh well. Currently ranking in the 5000's somewhere, but that'll likely increase pretty quickly. I doubt I'll get a better score this week. 

I managed to get a deathless run, with Reinhardt, Cherche, Klein and Olivia.  Fliers seem to be good on the new maps because of all the trees and bridges.  I think it's important to remember that while the defense bonuses help the enemy they can help you too.  What I would usually try to do was split up the enemy and then bait them so that I was on a defensive tile and they weren't.  Armors also seem to be more common so I think it's important to have at least one good mage.

43 minutes ago, Elieson said:

I'm beginning to regret investing all that SP into Vantage Fury Anna, and would've rather done Life And Desperation Anna, but I don't have anyone to comfortably let Anna gobble up for L&D. Time will let this one slide I suppose until L&D fodder hits my plate.

Running Alfonse in tandem with Anna is pretty awful but I don't want to invest skills into my +Res -Def Marth because while he's i guess safer to run than Alfalfa, I just don't get much out of him from anything other than Spur Spd. This makes me hope I get some sweet red pulls during Celica banner

If that Marth is 5* he will have healing from his Falchion which could become much more useful now with the defensive tiles.

I know I'm now heavily considering Renewal 3 on my +def Chrom.

27 minutes ago, pumpkinspice48 said:

I managed to get a deathless run, with Reinhardt, Cherche, Klein and Olivia.  Fliers seem to be good on the new maps because of all the trees and bridges.  I think it's important to remember that while the defense bonuses help the enemy they can help you too.  What I would usually try to do was split up the enemy and then bait them so that I was on a defensive tile and they weren't.  Armors also seem to be more common so I think it's important to have at least one good mage.

Yeah, I'm surprised how many people seem to be seeing the forts as an increase in difficulty rather than a decrease. I'm still taking some time to get used to them, but the player's ability to use better tactics, particularly falling back when necessary, should make it possible to be the one spending more time fighting on forts. Armored enemies in particular seem likely to suffer from this, since it's easy to control where you fight them.

I love the new maps, they favor high mobility. But I wish there were an aura of sorts when a unit (mine or theirs) sits on a defense tile, these are not always easy to see with units on them.

I'm a bit surprised by the tiny increase in points brought by my brand new 5* Cecilia. I finished the last season with 4748, and my deathless streak brought me just 4778. 30 pts for 40k feathers (Cecilia and Gronnblade+), that's a very low point-to-feather ratio. The only squads that bring substantially more points are full armors (690), but I've seen just one in 9 battles.

So apparently Soren might be glitched for defence points? Multiple people on GameFAQs are reporting putting him on their defensive team but not scoring more than 300 points for defence despite him being a focus unit.

7 minutes ago, TheNiddo said:

So apparently Soren might be glitched for defence points? Multiple people on GameFAQs are reporting putting him on their defensive team but not scoring more than 300 points for defence despite him being a focus unit.

Mist > Soren confirmed, lol.

3 hours ago, wizzard of soz said:

this made me bust out laughing

I always appreciate when my humor is appreciated. Takumi hasn't been a problem for me because Robin is such a great counter. But I think Takumi sensed that and decided he wasn't going to cooperate.

I'm really contemplating investing in Horse Emblem for the next Arena round simply because I think it will really help my defense team. I kind of wish Armor Emblem had more going for it because Zephiel is REALLY growing on me. I'm convinced he and Hector would have a great time tearing apart a map together. But it's probably only REALLY good if you can get Distant Counter on all of them. lol I typed Discount Counter first.   Those Distant Counter teams are scary looking.....

This morning my rank had dropped to the 6000s.

If I have two more rounds to go and I net about 690 from each battle, is it likely at all that I can remain in rank one like this (provided I dont mess up)?

Any thoughts?

Spoiler

Screenshot_2017-05-09-16-10-48.png

Edited by rockocalypse

Nice, with the new changes to defence I can finally run the same offence and defence team. Even if I'm not done training her yet, with any luck my level 36 vanilla Titania will lure some unsuspecting people straight into the Reinhardt/Xander/Cecilia death trap. Though I surprisingly already got a defence win, it was before I had the opportunity to swap in a bonus unit so it's only 288.

Now time to sit down at the drawing board and try to figure out a nice skillset for Titania. Looks like she'll be eating Eldigan's place on the team for the next week so she might as well do it in style.

26 minutes ago, rockocalypse said:

If I have two more rounds to go and I net about 690 from each battle, is it likely at all that I can remain in rank one like this (provided I dont mess up)?

Any thoughts?

Screenshot_2017-05-09-16-10-48.png

No one knows. We haven't seen a full week of the tier system yet, so there's not enough information to even really guess what the cutoffs will be.

I spent a couple Crests and got a Deathless streak, mostly to try out the new Arena system.  I'm a shade under 4800, but that's pretty much the highest I can get with my Horse Emblem team.  I don't know how brutal the cutoffs will be.  I imagine everyone who's been playing since week 1 is in the same tier.

I've also got 2 D wins already, so I don't have to worry about changing my lead rep once the gauntlet starts.

11 hours ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

I could imagine my Mist being the reason people are not skipping on me, but I will probably never know. My team is Mist (Put whatever I could find on her to increase score, HP +, Live to serve and the 7+heal depending on current health), Ryoma +2 (Standard Fury,Vantage build), Spring Lucina (standard Bladetome, Desperation build), Nowi (standard TA, Quick Riposte Build). As you can see, my team is nothing special and just decked out with SI.

Strange none the less very nice on the wins!  I'm suspecting mixing some of my vantage nastygrams in with my horse emblem may make a better overall defense... but who knows.  Today is weird.

Don't know if unlucky, but I just ran into a bunch of Dancer teams with units that counter my team pretty hard. Doesn't help I do not have a good 5* Bonus unit this round either (currently using Ryoma, Erika, Nino, and Felicia). The fact that the maps I played are mostly open does not help either.

1. Azura, Ryoma, Hector, Takumi (I wanted to make this team...)
2. Reinhardt, Azura, Camilla, ??? (No mobility, Azura + Reinhardt means deathless is impossible for me.)

Man, what happened to just plain Takumi and M!Robin, heck, even Lindes, Ninos, and Julias? I can handle those. These dance compositions are murdering me...

So, initial impressions are that I miss the old maps. I'll probably have to reevaluate everything again, but I do not think I'll be maintaining my Arena ranking for a while if this is how things will go...

Currently at Rank 7731 ( out of a pool of 57K ). And Dancer Emblem has wrecked me several times at once as well. >< Worse case scenario: Horse Emblem + Dancer + that bridge map = bye-bye Deathless run indeed.