Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

Managed a last minute high score of 4924, but I got kicked out of tier 20 last minute. @Rezzy, in case you want to keep tabs, it looks like the margin for staying in tier 20 this week was a smidge higher. I also stayed in the top 5k for AA. Finally, I earned two defense wins with my cancer horse team after a few days. I was a bit worried there for a second because I usually get a win within a few hours. Turned out that putting Quickened Pulse on Rein made a difference. I also put one of my WIP "Bae Emblem" teams in, and my boys managed to earn me two defense wins as well. Merric, Shigure, Summer Leo, and Innes put in their work. So proud.

Running Windsweep Alm is really fun. He makes a really good counter for Brave Ike and the few vantage units that I see here and there. Merric, as usual, is fabulous. Nowi finally maxed out hero merit. I'm kind of on the fence about replacing her. F. Corrin would earn me a similar amount of points, but her ATK is so much lower... I'll have to think about it. I have so many units that I hardly use. There is also a part of me that wants to give Merric a -blade build for fun. 46 SPD is respectable. It'd help him do a lot more nuking...but that sweet legendary weapon....

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Score of 5086 (T20) remains in T20, combining with a Def score of 518 for max rewards.

Teams faced (streak):

Spoiler

ou3X4Dc.png

Teams faced (other):

Spoiler

go0LLjH.png

Eirika, Nino, and Azura made their grand return to the Arena stage, and it was glorious. I had Nino start with the Deflect Missile 3 seal, and very quickly realized that it wasn't working out. I haven't found that she really needs any other seal, so I ended up giving her Brash Assault 1, because screw Wary Fighter. Wary Fighter can go die in a hole. I'm looking at you, Berkut's Lance/Distant Counter/Distant Def 3 Effie...and Devoted Monster Jakob too, I guess. If they ever come out with a Vantage seal and make Wary Fighter/Vantage a thing, I'll be ready.

Staring at 95 Sacred Coins all last week was really annoying...but between +40 from this Arena season and the projected +135 from the Voting Gauntlet I finally maxed out Panic Ploy and should have exactly (edit: not sure what I was thinking on that one) enough to finish Atk Ploy. That will complete my AA seal setup (though I think the Deflects might be worth more than the seals that have 240 point skill equivalents? I'm not 100% sure on that), and I can move on to Spur Atk/Spur Spd and Stat+/Squad Ace ones; I'm leaning toward Spur Atk to begin with.

Edited by LordFrigid

Back to tier 19, got all the feathers available. Not a lot to say, it was pretty easy considering I didn't have to do a deathless run, this week I'll need to focus more due to Arvis BST penalty so I'll have to rely heavily on high BST units which consists of only red and green units.

On Arena Assault I got 19 coins due to not being able to do a deathless run, either way it was fine. I'll just have to do better this week.

Season 40 (1.3.0 S25) Results:

Score: 4,908 (New Record!)
Defense: 0

KpVT2b4.png

During last week’s arena cycle, I was finally able to give Narcian his last merge until more copies of him are released.  I was also able to give Caeda a merge, as well as pull a non -Atk Hinoka from the Flier Boost banner.  With all that mind, it was time to stop fooling around and give my arena core a good workout.  The result was smashing my old record by over 50 points, and a renewed confidence that the team is workable. 

Narcian has summoner support, and is the character I’ve put the most feathers in by far.  Eventually he will inherit Aether for more points, and I’d love to pull another Hector for DC.  His default build is very one-dimensional, and while mine doesn’t deviate much from it Fury and Bonfire let him go toe to toe with most physical green units as well.  49 Hp makes him a great user of Panic Ploy, and I rely on a lot to check horse teams, especially those with Cecilia. 

Hinoka is another one of my favorites, and I was quite pleased to pull another one of her.  It’s probably not the best idea to have a 5* exclusive as one of my core arena units, but I’m not going to let it worry me.  TA3 and the Atk+3 seal are remnants from my old -Atk Hinoka, and will likely be replaced with Death Blow and a higher scoring seal at a later time. 

Caeda is quite an underwhelming unit without an absurd amount of investment, investment I was happy to give.  A weapon like Wo Dao is necessary to power through non-armored Green threats like B!Ike, and is a powerful tool regardless of the enemy color.  Distant Counter has been instrumental in countering all the green mages, in addition to the few H!Sakura I encountered this week.  She was originally equipped with her default Fortify Fliers, but Def Ploy scores higher and she makes excellent use of it.

Overall, I found the 694-708 scoring bracket to be a little bizarre.  Ran into a lot of teams that had one or two +10 merged characters backed up by +0s with incomplete builds.  I suppose my team is similarly lopsided (albeit to a less extreme degree), but I was expecting a little more consistency at this level.  The good news at least was that I ran into a lot less B!Lyn than normal – perhaps beginning to score out of range of the more casual players who simply slap their one free B!Lyn on their defense team. 

Anna was pretty much just a cheerleader this week.  She was nice to have as an emergency Reinhardt check and as an extra user of Reposition, but otherwise she was rarely in a position to do anything.

Arena Assault:

mGyR0o1.png

Hall of Fame:

Spoiler

J4Z6QG5.png

4KeNJuc.png

T0b3Dx8.png

Choice examples of some of the super merges I talk about above.

y4pexYb.png

Probably the most annoying thing I encountered this week.  High Def Archers perfect for running CC builds are not what I need to start seeing.  Caeda’s Def Ploy came in handy here, debuffing him, letting Narcian attack first and surviving the counter, and Hinoka finishes.

JveRJxa.png

I will never get tired of encountering fellow Narcian users and admiring their builds.  He had a +2 Berkut as well.

Previous Season Results:

Okay, no way in hell 4,882 score is going to keep me in rank 20 (current rank: 597, only taking battles that rewarded 696 or more) when I have 7 days to lose it, but dangit I am still proud of how I battled.

I'm especially proud of how I had to figure out what was essentially a lockdown scenario in which if I didn't take out 3 units in one go, I would lose one of my army and lose everything, so I had Arvis take out a TA3 Cecilia, Rein repositioned by Bridelia to take out a ToD Nowi, and then Pazura Dance Rein to take out Olwen, who despite standing on a defensive tile was taken out by Luna, leaving only the pitiful Olivia to eat the dirtcloud that erupted from the thunder that hit her.

Man... maybe I should give Bridelia Galeforce just so she is worth more...

Edited by Xenomata

Did my arena run with just 4054, because I'll be relegated to tier 19 anyway, like every second week. No defense wins yet, but I did my arena assault run with a score of 4906. Should be enough for top 5k like last week (4914). 

15 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Man... maybe I should give Bridelia Galeforce just so she is worth more...

Hopefully I’m not too late and you haven’t promoted a Cordelia yet (or maybe you just have a spare Galeforce lying around, idk); Bows, and anything not using an Axe, Lance, or Sword, can’t inherit Galeforce. She can take Aether though.

1 minute ago, LordFrigid said:

Hopefully I’m not too late and you haven’t promoted a Cordelia yet (or maybe you just have a spare Galeforce lying around, idk); Bows, and anything not using an Axe, Lance, or Sword, can’t inherit Galeforce. She can take Aether though.

Yeah I checked afterward to see who could inherit Galeforce and forgot to update.

Don't worry, I have a spare 5* Cordelia that I'll never use for anything but skill fodder.

Same team as last week, my legion, nephenee, arvis and Inigo and I managed a deathless (which is a first in a while), which puts my score at exactly 4800 (Whats the average value for a non-merged team?)

Ah, I'm not a fan of this map set up.  The boat map can go park itself in the most uncomfortable area of the netherworld.

I lost my Deathless streak, so I lost on purpose the next battle to give someone a win and reset.  But not to the person who broke my streak, because I'm petty like that.

In Arena Assault, I was playing a bit sloppily at the end, because I was doing it between rounds of the Gauntlet.  I had 3 deaths, but it's a starting point, at least.  I always forget to use my items...

28 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I lost my Deathless streak, so I lost on purpose the next battle to give someone a win and reset.  But not to the person who broke my streak, because I'm petty like that.

The only way anyone gets a win off of me is by killing all of my units. And I'll still finish the set and start a new one if my score isn't high enough. Because 100+ dueling sword restores.

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

The only way anyone gets a win off of me is by killing all of my units. And I'll still finish the set and start a new one if my score isn't high enough. Because 100+ dueling sword restores.

I've got like 350 Crests, but I just like to be as efficient as possible, so I'll start over, if I haven't got a Deathless Streak.  I used to not even try when it was my Tier 20 week, but i might just be able to swing it, if I do another merge or two.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

I've got like 350 Crests, but I just like to be as efficient as possible, so I'll start over, if I haven't got a Deathless Streak.  I used to not even try when it was my Tier 20 week, but i might just be able to swing it, if I do another merge or two.

I just get lazy because I can get 5000+ with one death, two if my bonus unit is fully built with a few merges.

39 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Same here. And given that the teams I lose units to include dancers, to whom I never surrender anyway, or horses, to whom I never surrender anyway, I don’t tend to surrender much.

Just what the actual fuck is this shit?

cl2ChmF.png

Thanks to Arvis+2’s and Olivia+4’s BST being so pathetically low, the matchmaker finds it fair and balanced that there also are a Reinhardt+3 and Lyn+4. And this team is worth 692. 692 fucking points.

Just what the actual fuck is this shit.

I absolutely fucking hate ranged dancers. Absolutely. Fucking. Hate. Ranged dancers for their abysmal BST allowing them to compensate horses.

So I lost everybody except Ninian, who finished off the last Arvis standing. 484 points out of 692.

Fuck that guy. Fuck dancers. Fuck ranged dancers.

What the actual fuck is this shit.

I’m so pissed.

How the fuck is this supposed to be fair?

4644 points in the streak, awesome. Should have been 4852, if I didn’t encounter that one fucking team.

I’m so pissed.

This week Nino is now +6! Got a deathless score of 4964. I'm happy with this run since I was able to do it on my first try despite running into 2 fully merged ranged horses + bonus teams. One of them was even on the damn boat map. 

Got myself into a scary situation on the last battle of my AA run yesterday.

l8gQzGb.png

A situation I'll pose to my fellow arena junkies here.  Assuming these are your units:

Spoiler

bpYrQK0.png

f8IxHZn.png

x4RV8YH.png

nZk08hW.png

And this is what the enemies currently look like:

Spoiler

wlfCcNF.png

j3Z50HK.png

WTHDJvm.png

(Buffs are +6, +6)

88EtRjQ.png

Clear the map without losing anyone.

@DLNarshen

Attack Cecilia with Edligan, he will kill her (he can double her) and it will make his Special charge ready
Dance Eldigan with Azura and proceed to kill Brave Lyn with his beefed up charge.
Proceed to kill Ninian with your Reinhardt
Reposition Azura with BLyn outside of Annas attack range.

4 minutes ago, Hilda said:

@DLNarshen

Attack Cecilia with Edligan, he will kill her (he can double her) and it will make his Special charge ready
Dance Eldigan with Azura and proceed to kill Brave Lyn with his beefed up charge.
Proceed to kill Ninian with your Reinhardt
Reposition Azura with BLyn outside of Annas attack range.

Eldigan one-shots Cecilia, so his special will not be charged for B!Lyn unfortunately. 

7 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

How the fuck is this supposed to be fair?

It's mostly because of a combination of things---more to do with your team rather than your enemy's.

The team is fairly simple to pick off if you had someone who can tank Arvis for 2 combat rounds, since that'll have Arvis and the Dancer next to each other twiddling their thumbs while Rein and Lyn walk in to get obliterated. Main problem with that plan is that the rest of your team needs high mobility to catch Rein & Lyn because Lyn will try to reposition Rein further back.

If you had someone who can Counter-kill Arvis (basically any physical unit that can counter at 2 range, or a particularly strong mage, preferably blue), then you could've just walked B!Ike up to the fort tile (with a ranged unit behind him), to keep Lyn and Rein occupied while Arvis kills himself and the dancer walks up to get ruined. The ranged unit bit is important because you need Rein in your threat square for Lyn to reposition him back---otherwise Lyn moves forward to get danced and that makes a huge mess.

With my current Arena team of Selena, Axe!Azura, Rein, andBb!Lyn, I'd have Selena tank Arvis for 2 rounds (Arvis only hits for 11 damage* when Selena just casually squats on a fort tile with Axe!Azura's +6 Res buff), Lyn and Rein moves forward to get obliterated by my Lyn and Rein, and afterwards I can do whatever I want.

*This is assuming he's using his Prf Tome with Fury 3, +2 merges. Prf with L&D does less because Selena has more res than him to avoid the -5 Res Edit: -4 Res, the tome's -4/-4 not -5/-5 debuff, -blade could do more, of course, meaning I'd have to counter-kill with Lyn instead, which makes turn 2 a bit harder---since his Lyn would get danced to pressure forward more, while Rein and the dancer hangs back.

Edited by DehNutCase