Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

Back to tier 19. I bet I could've stayed if I fished for the 732-734 matches but that's not worth it for me.

On AA a score of 5,066 isn't enough for top 5k. Honestly...trying to get there without four 5*+10 units seems futile. 

I ended with 5 defense wins, with the highest one being worth 618 points. 3 of those are +10 A!Tikis, it seems they weren't prepared to face a Chill Def Cordelia.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Season 70 Results:

Score: 3,668
Defense: 604

VjUrOtd.png

Got to love Fjorm bonus + water season.  3,662 was within 100 ranks of falling out two hours before closing.  I haven't kept up with the rate of decline recently, but that was not something I was about to risk.  Next season should be more lenient. 

Flier Formation has been something I wanted to try out for my core, but there was no way I was sacking my only Elincia for it.  The new seal is a welcome addition for me, although I'm undecided whether it or Close Defense is more desirable.

Arena Assault:

mWUGAJd.png 

Previous Season Results:

Spoiler

Season 12: 4,678 | 284 | 25,513
Season 13: 4,740 | 0 | 19,082
Season 14: 4,794 | 289 | 6,331
-----------------
1.3.0 Update
-----------------
Season 15: 4,820 | 576 | 15 --> 17
Season 16: 4,788 | 568 | 17 --> 16
Season 17: 4,719 | 568 | 16 --> 17
Season 18: 4,776 | 0 | 17 --> 18
Season 19: 4,780 | 0 | 18 --> 17
Season 20: 4,796 | 578 | 17 --> 18
Season 21: 4,806 | 594 | 18 --> 19
Season 22: 4,792 | 560 | 19 --> 18
Season 23: 4,836 | 288 | 18 --> 19
Season 24: 4,828 | 288 | 19 --> 20
Season 25: 4,838 | 582 | 20 --> 19
Season 26: 4,822 | 578 | 19 --> 20
Season 27: 4,808 | 580 | 20 -->19
Season 28: 4,792 | 580 | 19 --> 18
Season 29: 4,830 | 582 | 18 --> 19
Season 30: 4,822 | 582 | 19 --> 20
Season 31: 4,806 | 584 | 20 --> 19
Season 32: 4,820 | 584 | 19 --> 20
Season 33: 4,812 | 582 | 20 --> 19
Season 34: 4,836 | 582 | 19 --> 20
Season 35: 4,822 | 582 | 20 --> 19
Season 36: 4,838 | 578 | 19 --> 20
Season 37: 4,788 | 580 | 20 --> 19
Season 38: 4,854 | 580 | 19 --> 20
Season 39: 4,830 | 582 | 20 --> 19
Season 40: 4,908 | 0 | 19 --> 20
Season 41: 4,920 | 580 | 20 --> 19
Season 42: 4,922 | 580 | 19 --> 20
Season 43: 4,914 | 582 | 20 --> 19
Season 44: 4,966 | 582 | 19 --> 20
Season 45: 5,006 | 600 | 20 --> 20
Season 46: 5,016 | 600 | 20 --> 20
Season 47: 4,976 | 596 | 20 --> 19
Season 48: 4,972 | 596 | 19 --> 20
Season 49: 4,988 | 600 | 20 --> 19
Season 50: 4,984 | 598 | 19 --> 20
Season 51: 5012 | 604 | 20 --> 19
Season 52: 4,990 | 598 | 19 --> 20
Season 53: 4,848 | 600 | 20 --> 19
Season 54: 4,994 | 602 | 19 --> 20
Season 55: 5,002 | 600 | 20 --> 19
Season 56: 5,050 | 606 | 19 --> 20
Season 57: 5,016 | 608 | 20 --> 19
Season 58: 5,014 | 608 | 19 --> 20
Season 59: 5,052 | 608 | 20 --> 20
Season 60: 5,064 | 612 | 20 --> 20
Season 61: 5,066 | 618 | 20 --> 20
Season 62: 5,088 | 614 | 20 --> 20
Season 63: 5,100 | 610 | 20 --> 20
Season 64: 5,070 | 610 | 20 --> 20
Season 65: 5,068 | 618 | 20 --> 20
Season 66: 5,086 | 309 | 20 --> 20
----------------
2.5.0 Update
----------------
Season 67: 3,642 | 606 | 20 --> 20
Season 68: 3,648 | 614 | 20 --> 20
Season 69: 3,646 | 612 | 20 --> 20

Offense score of 3732 (T20) remains in T20, combining with a defense score of 640 for max rewards.

Teams faced (streak):

Spoiler

2lpINfL.png

After foddering off a Legendary Lyn to Fjorm, I was able to pull off a Tactics team featuring a Sacred Stones core of Eirika, Myrrh, and L'Arachel. +12/12/12/12 combined field & combat buffs on Eirika is funny. I've never used a Horse Mage seriously in the Arena before, and I have to say, using L'Arachel to totally abuse the AI's Rally rules was hilarious.

6 hours ago, Hawk King said:

As long as you have a core of 3 units who are +10 with high SP skills, your 4th unit (usually the bonus unit) can be +0 and you will be able to stay in tier 20 with ease.

Get your core done and never worry about falling out of tier 20 ever again.

Cherche and Cordelia are +6, Caeda could get a +4 merge. I won't give up on them so easily. 

I'm beginning to think the last set of maps were the ones that give me the most trouble... Somehow this season, I got my deathless run in Arena and AA on the first try...and both scored WAY higher than I've ever gotten before. Arena is 3682 and AA is 5150. Glad I got this stuff out of the way this week...I wonder if Ryoma's going to be a bonus unit next season...and if it'll be water season again. It would be kind of nice to get to abuse that bonus again.

Got a 3,349 in Arena just now with my first-ever horsey emblem team of Ares, Elise,  G!Marth, and Camus.  Would've been deathless except in the last match, I failed to kill the opposing Ares in the enemy team before his special got charged up.

Be at peace, little Elise...

So I'm still oblivious to the scoring system.   Aside from a deathless run, what else can contribute to a higher arena score?  Does unit health at the end of a match bare any blame in that?  Skills used?  Rarity of skills used? 

28 minutes ago, Selena4Lyfe said:

So I'm still oblivious to the scoring system.   Aside from a deathless run, what else can contribute to a higher arena score?  Does unit health at the end of a match bare any blame in that?  Skills used?  Rarity of skills used? 

Sounds like you'd want to read this. And this.

Basically, the factors that matter are:

• Unit rarity
  • Unit level (their 1-40 level)
  • Unit merge level
  • Unit base stat total (before skills. I don't think stat points gained from merging are counted either)
  • Total skill point cost of a unit's build. The cost of the skill equivalent of the unit's Sacred Seal is included. The 1.5x SP cost multiplier for inherited skills is ignored.
  • The unit's blessing, if the unit is on the team with a Legendary Hero whose element matches the current season.
Edited by LordFrigid

Finished normal arena with a score of 3,640. Should be more than enough to climb back to tier 20. 

Also got a defense win of 616 points so that's good, I can freely change my seals/skills without worries. 

I haven't finished my AA run, I keep thinking that I have less built units when I really have like 40+ of them and I'm using crappy stuff like a 4* Narcian instead of someone like Dorcas which is just gimping myself.

2 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

Finished normal arena with a score of 3,640. Should be more than enough to climb back to tier 20. 

Also got a defense win of 616 points so that's good, I can freely change my seals/skills without worries. 

I haven't finished my AA run, I keep thinking that I have less built units when I really have like 40+ of them and I'm using crappy stuff like a 4* Narcian instead of someone like Dorcas which is just gimping myself.

4*s with gem weapons/breaker skills are the true heroes of AA. It's an incredible thing when you run into a team of all lances and just put Arthur in and watch him smile them to death

15 minutes ago, Johann said:

4*s with gem weapons/breaker skills are the true heroes of AA. It's an incredible thing when you run into a team of all lances and just put Arthur in and watch him smile them to death

I don't know, they were the best before but in a world of Bold Fighter+Ignis armors and Myrrhs they don't work anymore. Those monsters don't care about WTD, you hit them and they survive killing you next turn. They hit you, you're dead. It's a lose/lose without Guard/strong stats. Even the Catria I geared for AA with Sapphire Lance+Swordbreaker gets shredded by Zelgius (screw that guy, that's why Micaiah is geared to 1-shot him).

Right now the best choice for budget AA 4* units seems to be: Anti-armor weapon/TA/Breaker. 

19 hours ago, Alexmender said:

I don't know, they were the best before but in a world of Bold Fighter+Ignis armors and Myrrhs they don't work anymore. Those monsters don't care about WTD, you hit them and they survive killing you next turn. They hit you, you're dead. It's a lose/lose without Guard/strong stats. Even the Catria I geared for AA with Sapphire Lance+Swordbreaker gets shredded by Zelgius (screw that guy, that's why Micaiah is geared to 1-shot him).

Right now the best choice for budget AA 4* units seems to be: Anti-armor weapon/TA/Breaker. 

I mean yeah Bold Fighter does make it hard, but even Zelgius can't do a whole ton if his Atk is down 40%. Plus, Breakers will prevent BF from doubling as long as they enemy doesn't have enough Spd, so I'm kinda surprised that your Catria can't survive. Even for Myrrh, you can use characters like Lloyd, Eliwood, or Fir with Ruby Sword rather effectively. 

I have a 4* Laslow with TA/breaker/armorslayer but that's he'd the only one like that. I save him for dealing with absurd Amelia + Sheena setups on the shittier maps

Edited by Johann

1 hour ago, Johann said:

I mean yeah Bold Fighter does make it hard, but even Zelgius can't do a whole ton if his Atk is down 40%. Plus, Breakers will prevent BF from doubling as long as they enemy doesn't have enough Spd, so I'm kinda surprised that your Catria can't survive. Even for Myrrh, you can use characters like Lloyd, Eliwood, or Fir with Ruby Sword rather effectively. 

I have a 4* Laslow with TA/breaker/armorslayer but that's he'd the only one like that. I save him for dealing with absurd Amelia + Sheena setups on the shittier maps

It was a mix of fighting whale tier stuff and me playing bad. Zelgius wouldn't die thanks to being in a Def tile with full Armor buffs, Black Luna alone removes a huge chunck of Catria's health regardless of Sapphire Lance (like it deals around 30 dmg) and me not using a dancer meant that I couldn't get Catria out of there before EP started. Doesn't help that he had like 46 Spd so he was totally capable of doubling her despite Swordbreaker. I've seen some Ayras do similar stuff with the Regnal Astra+Wrath combo but I never thought Zelgius could be so ridiculous. Black Luna was a mistake

Funnily enough Zelgius is the only unit that makes me tremble in fear, the other BF armors are a lot easier to deal with because Aether's higher CD makes it that they need 2 rounds to proc it without a Slaying weapon and while Ignis can be painful it is easier to plan against.

The Myrrhs are me exaggerating though, despite their high Atk/Def they really aren't that threatening as long as I bring a sword with QR. 

----

I finished my deathless AA run worth of 5,090.

28 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

It was a mix of fighting whale tier stuff and me playing bad. Zelgius wouldn't die thanks to being in a Def tile with full Armor buffs, Black Luna alone removes a huge chunck of Catria's health regardless of Sapphire Lance (like it deals around 30 dmg) and me not using a dancer meant that I couldn't get Catria out of there before EP started. Doesn't help that he had like 46 Spd so he was totally capable of doubling her despite Swordbreaker. I've seen some Ayras do similar stuff with the Regnal Astra+Wrath combo but I never thought Zelgius could be so ridiculous. Black Luna was a mistake

Funnily enough Zelgius is the only unit that makes me tremble in fear, the other BF armors are a lot easier to deal with because Aether's higher CD makes it that they need 2 rounds to proc it without a Slaying weapon and while Ignis can be painful it is easier to plan against.

The Myrrhs are me exaggerating though, despite their high Atk/Def they really aren't that threatening as long as I bring a sword with QR. 

----

I finished my deathless AA run worth of 5,090.

Ah yeah that makes sense. I save TA Corrin and Nowi for rough looking Zelgius situations cuz of his poor Res and that I gave those two swordbreaker, while my Catria has QR.

Of each color, which unit do you think gives you the most trouble? I'll agree with Zelgius on red and for the exact same reason. For green, it's Robin, only cuz my best reds don't have great Res, so Bold Fighter can take out a lot of reds just because it's two strong hits. Blue and colorless I dunno about, I have enough counters that nothing from those two are a problem.

Edited by Johann

44 minutes ago, Johann said:

Ah yeah that makes sense. I save TA Corrin and Nowi for rough looking Zelgius situations cuz of his poor Res and that I gave those two swordbreaker, while my Catria has QR.

Of each color, which unit do you think gives you the most trouble? I'll agree with Zelgius on red and for the exact same reason. For green, it's Robin, only cuz my best reds don't have great Res, so Bold Fighter can take out a lot of reds just because it's two strong hits. Blue and colorless I dunno about, I have enough counters that nothing from those two are a problem.

For green I'd say certain variants of Amelia, while she doesn't hit very hard without specials her high Hp/Spd/Def and relatively above average Res makes it really hard to deal with her as I'm unable to double without Axebreaker/QR. M!Grima is a funny one, he has scary stats and skill combos but he crumbles against BK!Chrom thanks to Chill Def so I always consider him as a free kill. For blue it's Spd stacked Nowis, they tend to caught me off-guard with their 40+ Spd because most of the time I expect the usual SB/QR combo. For colorless I can't really think of anything, H!Jakob is the most annoying but he's limited by his build making him easy to deal with.

Back to tier 20, but I had to battle for that, and only going for the 710+ opponents. With a final score of 3558, it was done without problem. And Bride Tharja can be monstruous. Team :

Spoiler

KbODw6j.png

And Robin is finally +10 ! It's the first step to be able to stay in the 20th tier.

And I encountered three interesting units/builds during these runs... One of them just made the battle really complicated.

Spoiler

Ypu4x0s.png

YVNdkHz.png

Two units getting some love ! And from the same guy ! It was beautiful. This guy need to be applaud.

3441utG.png

Okay, THAT was the unit who give me some problems. In normal case, Robin kill her with the counter, but... she cannot be countered like that. And with a Green mage behind (Julia, I think ?), I really had some struggle in the open map that there was. Watersweep + Phantom Spd seal.... This Lilina was some real threat ! Didn't see that coming...

I wonder what's worse. Sitting out for at least two weeks and missing out on rewards or scrambling my way back from Tier 17 after panic promoting Alphonse (which probably won't happen before the next bonus week)? Or potentially sinking as low as tier 15 if I'm unlucky and don't have any of the next set of bonus units either? God, I hate the bonus unit system so much.

Edited by Nanima

14 minutes ago, Nanima said:

I wonder what's worse. Sitting out for at least two weeks and missing out on rewards or scrambling my way back from Tier 17 after panic promoting Alphonse (which probably won't happen before the next bonus week)? Or potentially sinking as low as tier 15 if I'm unlucky and don't have any of the next set of bonus units either? God, I hate the bonus unit system so much.

The requirements for T16-17 are extremely low, running a 4-star bonus hero won't drop you anywhere near that far.

38 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

The requirements for T16-17 are extremely low, running a 4-star bonus hero won't drop you anywhere near that far.

Well, I've been thinking of promoting him anyway, amd I can always.slap together an emergency kit for him. I'd rather not sink lower than I have to, but I guess this is good to keep in mind for future seasons.