Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

Got my second crown this week by taking advantage of the fact that we had a wind season with Eliwood as bonus. This week I am using Hel as bonus and my usual core (Flame Emperor, Fae, Aversa). I am lacking however lots Dueling swords I am standing at 0 now. Is there any way to farm them or something. Also the new maps are made for fliers. 

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I want to run my sailor mouth again this week, things actually went pretty well, and I didn't have to fish too much. I think I spent only 30 or so dueling sword restores.

Mathilda... actually got some work done, even if it required quite a bit of babysitting. And it helps that I got the same opponent 3 times, twice on the same map even (meaning I could win just by making the exact same moves).

Ran +10 Idunn, +10 Mathilda, +10 Legendary Azura, and +7 Legendary Leaf this week. Mathilda is running a cookie-cutter poverty build:

+10 Mathilda [+Spd]
Knightly Lance
Reposition
Aether
Life and Death 3
Desperation 3
Hone Cavalry
Swift Sparrow 2

Currently have a score of 3,860, which is rank 46, so I'm at no risk of dropping.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Meanwhile I almost dropped to T18 because running an unmerged Legendary Eliwood out of season is just asking for trouble. Had to fish a bit today just to get past 3700, which is a bit embarrassing. But my only other 5-star from this set is a completely unbuilt and unmerged Mathilda so my hands were tied.

Might relent and give Cecilia her refine next week, even if it's demote week, just to try it out.

Edited by Humanoid

This week I demoted from T21 to 20 as this wasn't a wind season. I used Hel to tank my way to 5 matches. This week since Julia will be bonus and there will be an earth season I will bless my core team and maybe I'll get the 3rd crown. As good as Cecilia is she doesn't even have C slot and is unmerged she is a no in arena. I will keep her in non red Astra offence to ruin everyone's day (she is getting good at this). 

I sent in Hel with my +10 BK/Gwendolyn/Jaffar, spent a bit of time getting a decent run to stay in T21. I have Cecilia at +10, so I should be able to get back into T21 next week.

I was able to promote back to Tier 21 by using Legendary Eliwood, even not being Wind Season. It was quite easy to do.

This week is demotion season, where I go back to T20, so I don't need to bother with Arena. Just do some easy matchs.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to redo my Arena Run, since with my current score I was getting close to not promote to Tier 21. This time I added Flame Emperor to my arena team, who I +10d last week.

Flame Emperor, nicknamed as "FE" by me, is a non-beast unit beast! Tanked a L!Chrom and L!Julia in the same map today. Outside the poor movement, FE is very buly, and receives even more stats from Marth's support.

When fully buffed from allies, FE has:

• 62 HP, which is pretty good (I don't run Legendaries, so it can't become higher);
  • 77 Atk, being 61 base + 6 from Rally + 5 if adjacent to Marth + 5 from Atk/Res Bond seal.
  • 42 Spd, being 31 base + 6 from Rally + 5 if adjacent to Marth.
  • 54 Def, being 44 base + 5 from Joint Hone Def (FE is the one with Rally Def on the team) + 5 if adjacent to Marth.
  • 52 Res, being 36 base + 6 from Rally + 5 if adjacent to Marth + 5 from Atk/Res Bond seal .

FE is pretty much adjacent to an ally all the time, because FE is an armor unit, so limited movement, and FE has Blue Flame, which requires an ally adjacent to unit to deal more damage.

Flame Emperor's full build is:5*  Lv 40+10+10, Slaying Axe+ (Res), Rally Atk/Def+, Blue Flame, Distant Counter, Special Fighter 3, Joint Hone Def, Atk/Res Bond 3.

Trying to stay in Tier 21 sucks. Spent 3 hours and a ridiculous 90 stamina restores just to complete a streak of 5. The current map pool is awful. As much as I absolutely hate some of the old maps, the couple bad apples in the new pool are even worse.

At least Ogma was at least decent this week. Barely.

It was a funny day, doing AA. I had no idea how to deal with Brave Hector. I was like "I just have to use Est", but then I remembered that EST IS USELESS AGAINST HECTOR now.

I had to give up 1 point of my score and use Young Merric, that is not of the current season.

On 9/2/2020 at 12:41 AM, Landmaster said:

B!Dimitri Bonus Week finally! I was at Rank 27 with my run, at Rank 38 now, promoting back into T20~ Should be able to easily get to T21 next week even though he's not +10~

You can do it! I believe you can enter T21 next Season.

Only just got AA done just now. And Arena just before. And now I have to do RB. My brain hurts so much. I think it's time to quit doing AA properly and revert to the old "bait minimum scores with a one-unit team" first up. I don't think I can reliably deal with CYL4 units without counterpicking and so my old structure of just having mostly generalist teams with the odd counterpicked substitute is no longer viable. I don't think I even have enough units to reliably counterpick the new units if they show up every fight, though it doesn't help that I generally don't know the skillsets of many new units since they're so complex these days.

I'm halfway through a fortnight of vacation time right now and playing so little it's increasingly feeling like I might have an epiphany at the end of it.

On 9/7/2020 at 2:40 PM, Humanoid said:

Only just got AA done just now. And Arena just before. And now I have to do RB. My brain hurts so much. I think it's time to quit doing AA properly and revert to the old "bait minimum scores with a one-unit team" first up. I don't think I can reliably deal with CYL4 units without counterpicking and so my old structure of just having mostly generalist teams with the odd counterpicked substitute is no longer viable. I don't think I even have enough units to reliably counterpick the new units if they show up every fight, though it doesn't help that I generally don't know the skillsets of many new units since they're so complex these days.

Firesweepers are a soft counter to basically everything that is not Null C-Disrupt. And anything running Null C-Disrupt is basically running a dead B skill against any raw damage nukes or regular tanks.

Pain staffers are the cheapest Firesweepers in my opinion, and you can build them en masse. Flying archers are the best in my opinion, but they are expensive to build.

Edited by XRay

i find so hilarious how well my +2 +5 Jorge can do against a whole team composed of edelgard alts

sure, he can't oneshot them all, he still needs some help from Paula, but he always manages to kill at least 3 of them without taking too much damage

• 2 weeks later...

Switched out Surtr for Brave Hector so that I could avoid having a team of 3 green units (Celica and Edelgard as my Legendaries), and he is so, so very busted.

Maltet's built-in Svalinn Shield lets him bait Duo Micaiah, who is normally a nightmare to deal with, with no trouble as well as easily tank Duo Ephraim. Preventing follow-ups also lets him laugh at Legendary Corrin, who is unable to activate the damaging half of her Special when she initiates into Hector since she doesn't get a second attack.

It's always nice when power creep favors the player instead of the opponent for once.

• 2 weeks later...

Late in my Arena Assault run today, I ran into a very dedicated Matthew team.

tdlfc1W.jpgatIQ2Iw.jpgBfKPCDD.jpgLoElYKJ.jpg

(Unfortunately they were pretty much helpless against my Cecilia and Brunnya.)

• 2 weeks later...

I was getting my Seteth ready for the Arena next season... but now that I know Hawkeye will also be a bonus unit, I will use him instead. My +10 Hawkeye will have fun!

On 10/18/2020 at 10:48 PM, Othin said:

Late in my Arena Assault run today, I ran into a very dedicated Matthew team.

Hide contents

tdlfc1W.jpgatIQ2Iw.jpgBfKPCDD.jpgLoElYKJ.jpg

(Unfortunately they were pretty much helpless against my Cecilia and Brunnya.)

Wow! I liked that each Matthew is built to buff/debuff an especific stat, and also have a boon that matches that same stat. It's actually not a bad team... but any raven tome unit or unit that can nullify penalties (like your Cecilia and Brunnya) can easily destroy them

Did they Harsh Command+ each other and stayed trapped there? lol

11 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I was getting my Seteth ready for the Arena next season... but now that I know Hawkeye will also be a bonus unit, I will use him instead. My +10 Hawkeye will have fun!

Wow! I liked that each Matthew is built to buff/debuff an especific stat, and also have a boon that matches that same stat. It's actually not a bad team... but any raven tome unit or unit that can nullify penalties (like your Cecilia and Brunnya) can easily destroy them

Did they Harsh Command+ each other and stayed trapped there? lol

Nah, they broke the walls and moved forward on their own. I don't remember my own team using penalties.