Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

Last week I hit exactly 4700. Which is my personal record. I'm at 3877 now with one to go. Assuming I read the average of 650 I seem to hit I'll get to about 4500. I'm happy with that and pray it's enough to get me to rank 18 to start earning that extra orb.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This better get me to tier 20. I finally got full SI on everyone and gave Nino an extra merge, bringing her to +2.  Current score of 4822, rank 1655. I could try getting higher by fishing but some of these teams are scary, especially with how heavily merged they are. I only have a merge of +2, why am I facing a team with a total of +14 >.<

2 minutes ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

Isn't that just the nature of Advanced Arena? Even with +0 team total, I recall facing as high as +10 total from an enemy team, so +14 doesn't seem all that unreasonable for a +2 team to face.

Eh...I guess I'm not used to the jump. Previously the most I would face would probably be a +4 team. Then today, I added a B slot and Special to Sharena and finally gave Nino Desperation. I guess I underestimated how heavy these are weighted. 

I have full skill inheritance and no merges and I expect to face teams with total merges of +10 or higher. It's just how the arena works.

I don't usually pay attention to merges, anyway. I just get used to the sort of stat ranges enemies have, and a bit of variation from there doesn't let them beat hard counters.

Does anyone know what the Score cut-off for going from Tier 19 to 20 is?  I want to know if I should even bother trying to get a higher score; it may not be possible for me to make the cut, just like the last time I was demoted.  4763 puts me at 2970 out of 6583.  Did I mention I hate the new system?

I've been recording the cut-offs alongside my ranking reports.

Tier 19 score of 4856 (New career high! No deaths; no surrenders; 690, 696, 692, 698, 690, 690, 700; Nowi +2, Sharena 5*, Eirika, Nino +3):

• Jun 15 12:35AM PT - #703 (/2271 to Tier 20)
  • Jun 15 4:00PM PT - #1104 (/2305 to Tier 20)

A rather concerning drop with almost nothing added to the threshold. I'm worried this score won't be good enough after three more days. I don't think I can score much better without some heavy fishing, though.

As of 10:48pm EST on June 15, 2017, my score is 4904 and my rank is 652. Since there are three more days left, if I am lucky, I think I might be able to slip into tier 20.

4 hours ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

I've been recording the cut-offs alongside my ranking reports.

Tier 19 score of 4856 (New career high! No deaths; no surrenders; 690, 696, 692, 698, 690, 690, 700; Nowi +2, Sharena 5*, Eirika, Nino +3):

A rather concerning drop with almost nothing added to the threshold. I'm worried this score won't be good enough after three more days. I don't think I can score much better without some heavy fishing, though.

Thanks for the info.  I think it's literally impossible for me to get a higher score than you, so I won't blow any crests fishing for a better score.  Most of mine are 680ish.

A score of 4,802 puts me at Rank 1,932 in Tier 18, so I'll likely be returning to Tier 19 next week. Currently have one defense win worth 568 points. I haven't changed my team but I'll likely be switching out Sharena in favor of Ephraim next week, since Camus will be my bonus unit.

With my next 20k feathers, I'm looking forward to bumping a Hana to 5* for passing LaD 3 to my Bride Cordelia. There's also Legion who I'd like to use once he enters the rotation, but I lack Brave Axe fodder. All things in good time, I suppose.

Haven't managed a deathless run yet, but haven't really put in much effort, since I think I'm probably demoting back to Tier 18 anyway. 4814 last week put me at around rank ~3k or so, while the cutoff rank is something like ~2k.

But I got my defense win!

Seems like my luck with Defense wins really tanked after Tempest Trials started.

Already got my deathless 7-winstreak but I doubt it would be enough to bring me to tier 19 once the week is over.

Hmm... got two deathless streaks with one more merge on Reinhardt and both times I still scored exactly the same as last week or even lower. I got a feeling they changed the match-up formula because the arena is so much easier and less points earned.

Also, too many people putting L&D on Bridelia on defense which practically gives Hector teams a free win.

Hit 4,852 for the week and rank 150-ish in tier 18, so I'm sure I'll be back up to 19 next season.

I feel kind of stupid, since to get this score because I finally balled-up and used a team of Ike/Hector/Reg Cordelia/B Cordelia as opposed to my usual team of Tharja/S Camilla/Reg Cordelia/B Cordelia, and I've never really had the guts to do so.

I usually hate switching out Camilla for Hector because I'm so used to her ranged attack and ease of movement(plus an extra Reposition) compared to his slow armored ass(even with Pivot now on him). I haven't had Tharja off my arena team pretty much since I got her months ago, so that was a step out of my comfort zone too. Playing with 2 good Vantage, ranged counter units may seem like "what's the problem," but it's just not my usual playstyle.

I managed to do no deaths, even with some close calls since I actually ran into shit like a +6 +atk Rein with the new QP seal + Moonbow meme. He had Azura waiting to dance him too, and Xander with cav buffs. If my Hector hadn't been in Vantage range with Bonfire active I'd of lost a unit for sure.

Their BST and Ike's Aether really boosted the score though. Went from getting matches worth 682-684 points at most to 698-700 with the Ike/Hector switch in. If I had done this last season I might have just made the cut to tier 20, but still maybe not.

Edited by Alkaid

7 minutes ago, Okigen said:

Hmm... got two deathless streaks with one more merge on Reinhardt and both times I still scored exactly the same as last week or even lower. I got a feeling they changed the match-up formula because the arena is so much easier and less points earned.

Also, too many people putting L&D on Bridelia on defense which practically gives Hector teams a free win.

L&D b!Cordelia is funny. I've OHKOed one with my -Atk Hector.

33 minutes ago, Okigen said:

You can't cover every threat with every unit.

You can say the same that Reinhardt gives any team with Julia, Fae, etc. a free win or Hector gives any team with a red unit a free win. That's no different.

Anyone in Tier 20 have a general idea of what the cutoff for staying in Tier 20 is?

I'm not sure it's possible with my team's merge levels, even if I fish for points, so I wanted some idea of the cutoff to know if I should try for it or just take it easy this season and drop back to 19. 

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

You can't cover every threat with every unit.

You can say the same that Reinhardt gives any team with Julia, Fae, etc. a free win or Hector gives any team with a red unit a free win. That's no different.

But she could have been given Fury instead?

1 minute ago, Okigen said:

Not everyone has Fury. My Cordelia and Camus have L&D 1 and 2 respectively because I don't have Hinatas.

Edit: And not everyone builds their units for their defense team. L&D is significantly better than Fury 3 in an offense team, since it increases coverage.

Edited by DehNutCase

10 minutes ago, Okigen said:

33 Spd is notably easier to double attack on player phase than 35 Spd, which negates the boost in physical bulk from 50 to 58, especially because colorless cannot use weapon triangle advantage to mitigate damage.

Any Brave weapon wielder doesn't care that her Def went up from 14 to 22 because it's still too low to matter.

Against a defensive team, Fury Cordelia loses 4 damage compared to Life and Death before the first counterattack, and you really want to squeeze out as much damage as you can on those first two hits to limit your opponent's choices.

And once again, the point of a defense team is not to win against everything. As long as your team wins against something and that something is a sufficiently common team composition, you've done your job.

• Jun 16 4:00PM PT - #1387 (/2346 to Tier 20)

Getting a little worried here. If the same approximate rate keeps up, I'll just be barely within the promotion zone come end of season. Don't expect to stay there if I do get in, though (maybe after about another month or so to let the population fill out).

Also got one more defense, but my highest is still 580.