Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

2 hours ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

My best score in the past was 4816 and my max with great enemy luck would probably be in the high 4820's.

I don't think that would be enough, so I'm wondering if it makes any sense to bother trying or just use a weaker team and just get the 4000 score for that reward.

May as well just use a weaker team for the easy 4000.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't end up raising my score because I was away at a music festival for a good chunk of this week, but my score of 4836 is getting me back into Tier 20 anyway.  I'm at rank 1058 out of 10,105 in Tier 19.  

I got a lot of defense wins this week with my Team of Hector, Olivia, Reinhardt, and Anna.  I don't know the exact number because it deletes the old names after 10, but I think I had close to 20 defense wins!

27 minutes ago, Infinite Dreams said:

Didn't end up raising my score because I was away at a music festival for a good chunk of this week, but my score of 4836 is getting me back into Tier 20 anyway.  I'm at rank 1058 out of 10,105 in Tier 19. 

4836 got into Tier 20 at about rank 1000 out of some 3000 people that advance, hmm, that's better than I expected.

That gives me hope, maybe a score of high 4820s could advance? Not that I could have gotten that as I didn't have any 5* bonus units this week. Maybe in a couple weeks, advancing back to tier 19 should be no problem this week.

I woke up this morning and ended up with a second defense win for the week. There was much rejoicing. I think I'd like to use Katarina this week, but I've hardly leveled her. XD I decided to aggressively level my 2 star Alfonse instead because I kind of want to complete the Michalis quest...plus I've really neglected the Askr trio.

Anyways, it looks like I'm going to be moving up to tier 19. Those feathers are going to be nice to add to my stash. I guess I'm just going to start hoarding for now because I don't know who to promote.

Also, I realized, I'm a really bitter loser. I think every time another team ruins my deathless streak, I beat them anyway and surrender to the next team because I don't want the team that actually ruined my streak to get the satisfaction of a defense win.

2 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Also, I realized, I'm a really bitter loser. I think every time another team ruins my deathless streak, I beat them anyway and surrender to the next team because I don't want the team that actually ruined my streak to get the satisfaction of a defense win.

haha, i do the same sometimes! and then later i feel kind of guilty...my bitter self also never ever surrendered to a team with Reinhardt, curses to everyone that pit me against that monster when i had no greens on my team...though thankfully i recently got my Julia maxed and kitted out so i'm good. 

Just now, wizzard of soz said:

haha, i do the same sometimes! and then later i feel kind of guilty...my bitter self also never ever surrendered to a team with Reinhardt, curses to everyone that pit me against that monster when i had no greens on my team...though thankfully i recently got my Julia maxed and kitted out so i'm good. 

I never feel any remorse. XD If they're going to ruin my day, I'm not going to give them the satisfaction of reaping the rewards of my defeat! (Even though they probably already have a billion defense wins.)

1 hour ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

4836 got into Tier 20 at about rank 1000 out of some 3000 people that advance, hmm, that's better than I expected.

That gives me hope, maybe a score of high 4820s could advance? Not that I could have gotten that as I didn't have any 5* bonus units this week. Maybe in a couple weeks, advancing back to tier 19 should be no problem this week.

I think I had about that score, but got demoted last week.  I guess I just got a bad tier cycle, since it seems the weeks I'm not in 19, it has a lower threshold to get into 20.

I got back into Tier 19 this week, we'll have to see what the cut-off will be like this week.  Hopefully, they send that boat map to the depths on the abyss.  It leaves little room for maneuvering.

2 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I never feel any remorse. XD If they're going to ruin my day, I'm not going to give them the satisfaction of reaping the rewards of my defeat! (Even though they probably already have a billion defense wins.)

damn that's savage xD i guess i just think about how i wouldn't want someone to do that to me! (but probably true)

1 hour ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

And here I thought I would be the only one being like that... nice to see that there are other people just as evil. xD

Anyway, while I still can't believe it, but a lowly Score of 4810 - my personal best even- actually managed to promote me into T20 just barely. Those extra feathers, aswell as the fact that I don't have to care about my Score this week since I will be demoted anyway, are very much appreciated. I was sure I would make it there eventually, but definitely not so soon.

1 minute ago, SakuraFish said:

And here I thought I would be the only one being like that... nice to see that there are other people just as evil. xD

Anyway, while I still can't believe it, but a lowly Score of 4810 - my personal best even- actually managed to promote me into T20 just barely. Those extra feathers, aswell as the fact that I don't have to care about my Score this week since I will be demoted anyway, are very much appreciated. I was sure I would make it there eventually, but definitely not so soon.

What, really? I'm pretty surprised! I would have expected that low a score to get in!

If I had known, I would have promoted Camus to 5* and rolled with him...

1 minute ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

What, really? I'm pretty surprised! I would have expected that low a score to get in!

This is why everyone should be like Nino and just do their best.

6 minutes ago, SakuraFish said:

I do that all the time, but ever since I got to Tier 20, I do that less and less because when I lose a unit, it is more likely that I will lose because the opposing team has highly merged units.

5 minutes ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

Yeah, the surprise got me pretty hard as well. But here we go, even if we think our effort is in vain, sometimes it just pays off.
Also Camus is amazing, you should totally promote him anyway

1 minute ago, XRay said:

I do that all the time, but ever since I got to Tier 20, I do that less and less because when I lose a unit, it is more likely that I will lose because the opposing team has highly merged units.

It has happened to me a few times as well that I got completely sweeped, especially from those annoying FlierEmblem Teams. Usually however, I'm still able to overpower the enemy even after a loss which mostly happens to HorseEmblem teams, and damn it, they sure as hell don't need another defensive Win.

Whelp, to think I could have gotten to tier 20!

I didn't want to promote Anna to 5* and I didn't want to promote Camus to 5* unless I got Reinhardt for horse emblem. I did get Reinhardt just yesterday, and by then it was too late to train up Camus.

Or, I was just lazy and needed a break from the game after the tempest trial grindfest...

1 minute ago, SakuraFish said:

Yeah, the surprise got me pretty hard as well. But here we go, even if we think our effort is in vain, sometimes it just pays off.
Also Camus is amazing, you should totally promote him anyway

It has happened to me a few times as well that I got completely sweeped, especially from those annoying FlierEmblem Teams. Usually however, I'm still able to overpower the enemy even after a loss which mostly happens to HorseEmblem teams, and damn it, they sure as hell don't need another defensive Win.

I get sweeped by pony teams too. Depending on the map, I either slaughter them easily or they slaughter me easily.

Season 21 (1.3.0 S7) Results:

Score: 4,806
Defense: 594 (New Record!)

nfsIbTs.png

It feels good to be able to run a full team of 5*s again.  With Camus as a bonus Hero, I can rock a partial Horse Emblem squad, with Julia tagging along for the ride.  Camus hits 46 Spd with a Hone and Goad bonus, which is good enough to double the vast majority of the cast.  With the help of defense tiles, I feel comfortable letting him take hits from even Nino and Julia if he's at full health, blowing them up on the counter.

For lack of anything better, Eldigan sticks with the default Lunge in his B slot.  I can't recall any particular instance it helped me, and Eldigan's role was mostly kept to providing buffs and positioning.  He also served as my win-condition against Hector.  No doubt something like Moonbow would be preferable to Glimmer, but it works well enough with his damage-output and Mystletainn, and I have 4* Peri's to get rid of.

Reinhardt with Moonbow and Quickened Pulse is pretty filthy, but I don't feel bad about it.  He has Bowbreaker 2 as an alternative B skill from our TT adventures, but I switched back to Vantage for BIG PTS.  Reciprocal Aid was another leftover TT skill, but it can be useful in the arena too I suppose.  Not like he really needs his HP.  

I don't have a worthwhile Cecelia to use, so Julia is included to counter enemy Reinhardt and other blue/green mages I didn't feel comfortable having my horses engage.  

Season 21 Hall of Fame:

Spoiler

mzJMCAv.png

Raven always seemed really good to me on paper, but unfortunately infantry melee glass-cannons don't really have much of a niche in the current meta.  Still it's nice to see one fully decked out.

FjeesaV.png

Encountered this on the one flying team I had to face this week.  Had I not been running a (mostly) horse emblem team, I would have been in trouble. 

nB27tKf.png

Didn't expect to see her at +1 this early after the Tempest, but there we go.

CHY7Q4l.png

"Well, I don't have any Death Blow fodder, but Armored Blow's just as good right?" 

HzMYVVr.png

mSXC1r6.png

Like with the above Reinhardt guy, I know I shouldn't be making fun of these people, they probably just didn't know, but I find it painful to imagine wasting TA3 like this...

Previous Season Results:

Score: 4818 (Avg. 688); score ranges from 682 to 692; was semi-selective for high points. Ranked ~2500 out of ~10000.

Defense: 570 (12)

Tier: 19 --> 20

Total Rewards: 6400 Feathers + 4 Orbs

Offense Team: (Fae+2/Lilina/Azura) + 4* Anna

Defense: Various... I tried fielding out various combinations to see which ones might yield more defenses, however, they all seemed to produce consistent results.  Probably carried by wings Azuza.

Don't think I'll be staying in Tier 20 sooo I'll be slacking off this week for Arena.

5044 Offense and 586 Defense (T20) picks up 6400 feathers, 4 orbs, and remains in T20.

I'm not really a fan of the map set that's expected to come up next; I'll see if having player phase presence with Nino resolves my issues with the breakable wall map, which is the only one that has given me consistent trouble out of the entire host of arena maps recently.

26 minutes ago, DLNarshen said:

"Well, I don't have any Death Blow fodder, but Armored Blow's just as good right?" 

your caption made it so much funnier xD i really can't think of anything it'd be useful for..he already erases so many DC units...Rebecca and NIles counter, OP!

3 hours ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

This is extremely petty though. Very petty. They literally earned a defense win, but you are going out of your way to deny them of the rewards they rightfully earned, and now you're bragging about how poorly you treated them. Why? I've lost some of respect for you.

20 minutes ago, Astellius said:

This is extremely petty though. Very petty. They literally earned a defense win, but you are going out of your way to deny them of the rewards they rightfully earned, and now you're bragging about how poorly you treated them. Why? I've lost some of respect for you.

You don't earn a defense win by killing one unit. You earn a defense win by persuading your opponent to surrender or defeating them outright.

33 minutes ago, Astellius said:

I agree generally with IceDragon, but I'll elaborate a little on my own personal view of it:

You didn't 'earn' a defense win until you've given the opponent a reason to surrender. I'm super casual half the time because, while I probably could make it to T20 if I really tried hard and focused all my resources and a lot of my effort on it, 1k feathers isn't worth the hassle. This means: At least every other week, I can afford to lose like 20 units through my weekly run and still be perfectly fine. Just getting 1 kill isn't nearly enough to earn a win during weeks like that.

If the promotion requirements get even laxer, it might be that I can take it bloody easy every single week, in which case you have to either wipe my team or cry.

Edited by DehNutCase

2,500 feathers for 4,790 offence points;
   900 feathers for 580 defence points;
2,000 feathers and 4 orbs for promoting to tier 19;

5,400 feathers and 4 obs overall. The most I’ve ever got from the arena, methinks. Awesome!

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

You don't earn a defense win by killing one unit. You earn a defense win by persuading your opponent to surrender or defeating them outright.

Just now, DehNutCase said:

I agree generally with IceDragon, but I'll elaborate a little on my own personal view of it:

You didn't 'earn' a defense win until you've given the opponent a reason to surrender. I'm super casual half the time because, while I probably could make it to T20 if I really tried hard and focused all my resources and a lot of my effort on it, 1k feathers isn't worth the hassle. This means: At least every other week, I can afford to lose like 20 units through my weekly run and still be perfectly fine. Just getting 1 kill isn't nearly enough to earn a run during cases like that.

If the promotion requirements get even laxer, it might be that I can take it bloody easy every single week, in which case you have to either wipe my team or cry.

Sure, but my reply was to @Rafiel's Aria. Her whole point was that she would refuse to surrender to someone who ruined her deathless run, because of that fact, but then would surrender immediately to the next person she faced.

So, to @Ice Dragon, she was convinced to surrender, but chose to give her surrender to someone who didn't earn it. She specifically is going out of her way to avoid surrendering to the person who actually defeated her.

@DehNutCase Again, she was given a reason to surrender. Indeed, she said she would surrender. But she's going out of her way to not surrender to the person who caused her to surrender. She's specifically denying a defense win to the person that otherwise earned it.