Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

I just want to say, I really hate the Lava Map this week.  Is the game trolling me, by giving me nothing but Flyer or Kagero teams on the Lava Map?

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I just want to say, I really hate the Lava Map this week.  Is the game trolling me, by giving me nothing but Flyer or Kagero teams on the Lava Map?

Well just temporarily run an archer on your team! And you have Faye too so she'll take no damage on Kagero's counter attack!

2 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

2 swords left?

Bro

What happened :(

Good thing they stack up like pancakes ha

Had 25 to start with. Takes an average of maybe 1 refill to get 1 Advanced opponent worth 700 or more.

Got Reinhardt killed by a Faye because I forgot it had Swift Sparrow on the 5th run.

Got Cecilia killed by a Reinhardt because I didn't realize it did as much damage as it did and could have been prevented it by having Sophia give her a Fortify Res buff on the 6th run of my next set.

Got someone I don't even remember who anymore killed by a Reinhardt because I screwed up my unit placement and it moved the other way which screwed me over on the 2nd run of the next set.

Got through the fourth set without anyone dying. I am so through with the arena for this week.

Maybe I should replace Cecilia's Life and Death with Fury so that she's guaranteed to survive Reinhardt and then turn him into mincemeat with Unlimited Blade Works.

Or promote a few more Cecilias to merge because I'm almost certain +10 Cecilia with Life and Death can survive +10 Reinhardt with Death Blow.

13 minutes ago, Ryu Yuki said:

Also you're not running Julia anymore? What's your current arena team actually?

Had to remove Julia for the past season due to bonus heroes.

+1 Sophia [+Atk, -Spd] (Raudhrraven+, Dragon Fang, Triangle Adept 3, G Tomebreaker 3, Fortify Res 3)
+10 Ninian [+Spd, -Res] (Lightning Breath+, Dance, Triangle Adept 3, Escape Route 3, Fortify Dragons)
+4 Reinhardt [+Atk, -Spd] (Dire Thunder, Blazing Thunder, Death Blow 3, Vantage 3, Hone Cavalry)
+0 Cecilia [+Spd, -Def] (Gronnblade+, Life and Death 3, Escape Route 3, Hone Cavalry)

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I'm getting Flier Emblem Springmilla like no tomorrow on the lava map. Can't say I've seen much of Kagero though. Either way, Flier Emblem doesn't bother me as much as Julia being unreachable across lava, so I personally am not complaining too much. But it does become problematic when Springmilla can ORKO my Takumi, so Flier Emblem does force me to be pretty careful.

20 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Well just temporarily run an archer on your team! And you have Faye too so she'll take no damage on Kagero's counter attack!

I might have to.  I had switched to Tiki, Julia, Sharena, Takumi, since it seemed to work better than Faye, Abel, Tiki, Julia.

It's not so much that I lose, I just have trouble pulling a Deathless streak, since manueverabilty is terrible there, and Takumi can only take out one at a time.

21 minutes ago, Ryu Yuki said:

I'm getting Flier Emblem Springmilla like no tomorrow on the lava map. Can't say I've seen much of Kagero though. Either way, Flier Emblem doesn't bother me as much as Julia being unreachable across lava, so I personally am not complaining too much. But it does become problematic when Springmilla can ORKO my Takumi, so Flier Emblem does force me to be pretty careful.

It seems it's just this map, too.  I ran the same team for the second half of last week, and didn't have nearly as much trouble.

At least my D Team continues to excel, and I've got 3 wins already.  I'd love to switch my "Representative" character around, but I'm hesitant to change my D Team, since it seems to pick up like 20 wins per week for me.

37 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Had to remove Julia for the past season due to bonus heroes.

+1 Sophia [+Atk, -Spd] (Raudhrraven+, Dragon Fang, Triangle Adept 3, G Tomebreaker 3, Fortify Res 3)
+10 Ninian [+Spd, -Res] (Lightning Breath+, Dance, Triangle Adept 3, Escape Route 3, Fortify Dragons)
+4 Reinhardt [+Atk, -Spd] (Dire Thunder, Blazing Thunder, Death Blow 3, Vantage 3, Hone Cavalry)
+0 Cecilia [+Spd, -Def] (Gronnblade+, Life and Death 3, Escape Route 3, Hone Cavalry)

I see that you're still using Sophia even though her time has passed. You must have really grown fond of her. Also considering your Wishiwashi status, aren't you better off running your 40+10 Nowi or something? I understand that Reinhardt is an awesome unit, but Nowi's high BST plus the fact you have a 40+10 variant of her should probably give you a much higher score than Reinhardt could. Heck, my 40+10 Nowi is carrying me to 4900ish even though I'm running a completely vanilla 4* Sharena with 0 inheritance. The fact you have a Ninian to super-buff her should be even more of a reason. Of course you probably have a good reason, but I am kind of curious as to why you went with this team.

Also shouldn't you change up Ninian's C-Skill with this kind of lineup?

@Rezzy Also you're going to have to elaborate on that 'Respresentative' character and D Team thing. Sorry, I don't hang around this thread often enough to know too much about the happenings here. But whatever your D Team is, it sounds pretty amazing to pick up 20 wins per week.

Edited by Ryu Yuki

4 minutes ago, Ryu Yuki said:

@Rezzy Also you're going to have to elaborate on that 'Respresentative' character and D Team thing. Sorry, I don't hang around this thread often enough to know too much about the happenings here. But whatever your D Team is, it sounds pretty amazing to pick up 20 wins per week.

Sorry for the jargon, the representative character, for lack of a better term, is the first unit on your first per-set team.  They stand at the top of your castle on the home screen and go and greet your friends.

D Team is Defense Team, which is your first pre-set team and the one people face when they go up against your Arena team.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

Sorry for the jargon, the representative character, for lack of a better term, is the first unit on your first per-set team.  They stand at the top of your castle on the home screen and go and greet your friends.

D Team is Defense Team, which is your first pre-set team and the one people face when they go up against your Arena team.

Ah, that makes sense. What is your Defense Team anyway? And who exactly do you want to change your lead unit to?

Just now, Ryu Yuki said:

I see that you're still using Sophia even though her time has passed. You must have really grown fond of her. Also considering your Wishiwashi status, aren't you better off running your 40+10 Nowi or something? I understand that Reinhardt is an awesome unit, but Nowi's high BST plus the fact you have a 40+10 variant of her should probably give you a much higher score than Reinhardt could. Heck, my 40+10 Nowi is carrying me to 4900ish even though I'm running a completely vanilla 4* Sharena with 0 inheritance. The fact you have a Ninian to super-buff her should be even more of a reason. Of course you probably have a good reason, but I am kind of curious as to why you went with this team.

Also shouldn't you change up Ninian's C-Skill with this kind of lineup?

Sophia fills the really annoying hole of Spring Camilla (also Nino and Julia) counter which I desperately need because of the sheer number of +10 Spring Camillas (also Nino and Julia) I see. Also, after removing Robin from my team, I've needed a good tank for colorless, and Sophia also does that.

Reinhardt was chosen because he's my most powerful cavalry unit since I needed someone to buff Cecilia for Gronnblade+.

Ninian puts in work with Nowi on my defense team, so I'm keeping Fortify Dragons on her even though I have no other dragons on my offense team. I'm too lazy to switch Fortify Dragons in and out as I do my offense runs.

I really wish I could just run my previous team (when Sophia was a bonus character) of Sophia, Ninian, Nowi, and Julia. With Fortify Dragons on both Ninian and Nowi, the two of them could tank even some of the scarier greens.

Oh, I also forgot to add that I have S HP +3 on Ninian for 49/27/27 bulk (49/33/33 with Fortify Dragons).

2 minutes ago, Ryu Yuki said:

Ah, that makes sense. What is your Defense Team anyway? And who exactly do you want to change your lead unit to?

My defense team is Julia, Abel, Baby Tiki, Takumi.  It's mostly the same team I use on Offense, minus whoever I need to switch out as a bonus character.

Right now, I switched out Abel for Sharena on my offense team.  On the Lava map, that -1 Movement is really hurting, and I seem to get the Lava Map every time this week.

As for my lead unit, I'd just like to switch it up a bit.  I like my team well enough, but I'd like to put Leo, Est, or various other units that aren't that great in Arena, but are guys I like as my lead.

Hi. I don't know if i can make a new topic about this since its just a question. I haven't been catching up with feh news but i know they were gonna add the new arena matchmaking where u wont find units with inherited skills if your team doesn't have any. So is this out yet? Or did i mishear it?

38 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Sophia fills the really annoying hole of Spring Camilla (also Nino and Julia) counter which I desperately need because of the sheer number of +10 Spring Camillas (also Nino and Julia) I see. Also, after removing Robin from my team, I've needed a good tank for colorless, and Sophia also does that.

Reinhardt was chosen because he's my most powerful cavalry unit since I needed someone to buff Cecilia for Gronnblade+.

Ninian puts in work with Nowi on my defense team, so I'm keeping Fortify Dragons on her even though I have no other dragons on my offense team. I'm too lazy to switch Fortify Dragons in and out as I do my offense runs.

I really wish I could just run my previous team (when Sophia was a bonus character) of Sophia, Ninian, Nowi, and Julia. With Fortify Dragons on both Ninian and Nowi, the two of them could tank even some of the scarier greens.

Oh, I also forgot to add that I have S HP +3 on Ninian for 49/27/27 bulk (49/33/33 with Fortify Dragons).

Ah, that makes sense. Yeah Springmilla is definitely popular this season, and I've run into plenty of 40+10 Flier Emblem teams with her leading the charge. I can see why you'd want a counter for her. Also that makes sense about Reinhardt, I suppose it would be a pretty devestating combo with Cecilia. How is Cecilia working out for you actually? I have a 4* Cecilia with that exact nature, and I've been wondering whether she'd be a worthwhile investment somewhere down the line. And yes, I do love how Nowi is awesome enough that she can actually tank greens quite well, and even more so with Ninian's buff supplanting her. Unfortunately I tend to see green nuke mages rather than axe-users in the arena pretty often so this doesn't quite come into play too often for me. And I can also understand that it'd be a hassle to switch out skills; I actually do so for my Nowi, and it's kind of a pain. I feel like TA3 just doesn't work as well on defensive runs, so I swap it out for Fury or Defiant Atk when she's defending. Also that's a pretty impressive bulk there, with HP+3. I should also consider giving my own Ninian that seal, now that I think of it. She's -HP/+Spd so she could definitely use it...

35 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

My defense team is Julia, Abel, Baby Tiki, Takumi.  It's mostly the same team I use on Offense, minus whoever I need to switch out as a bonus character.

Right now, I switched out Abel for Sharena on my offense team.  On the Lava map, that -1 Movement is really hurting, and I seem to get the Lava Map every time this week.

As for my lead unit, I'd just like to switch it up a bit.  I like my team well enough, but I'd like to put Leo, Est, or various other units that aren't that great in Arena, but are guys I like as my lead.

Ah, I see. I can definitely approve of Baby Tiki. And yes, the lava map seems to be a very common map. I get it over 50% of the time, and it gets kind of tiring after a while. I think what really bothers me the most is its linear pathing; I can't do 'square' formations and I'm pretty much forced to line everyone up. It makes it hard to buff my units sometimes, and there's not a lot of wiggle room for infantries. The lava in the middle of the map makes it really hard if there are ranged units across of it that can deal serious damage to mine, and it's easy to get swarmed due to how little room there is to get my units out when needed.

@LoboKD001

That update is out already, yes. Unless I'm hallucinating the last several weeks of my life or something.

Edited by Ryu Yuki

39 minutes ago, Ryu Yuki said:

How is Cecilia working out for you actually? I have a 4* Cecilia with that exact nature, and I've been wondering whether she'd be a worthwhile investment somewhere down the line.

She one-round kills every blue unit not named Effie when Hone Cavalry is active. It is amazing. My only wish is that she had more Res so that she could be guaranteed to tank a round of combat from Reinhardt. Right now, I'm stuck baiting Reinhardt into a vulnerable position so that I can snipe him.

42 minutes ago, Ryu Yuki said:

And yes, I do love how Nowi is awesome enough that she can actually tank greens quite well, and even more so with Ninian's buff supplanting her. Unfortunately I tend to see green nuke mages rather than axe-users in the arena pretty often so this doesn't quite come into play too often for me.

Ninian managed to tank a hit from Spring Camilla with double digit HP remaining sometime last week because I screwed up my positioning. It was glorious. (And then I had a teleporting Ninian for the rest of the match. It was more glorious.)

47 minutes ago, LoboKD001 said:

Hi. I don't know if i can make a new topic about this since its just a question. I haven't been catching up with feh news but i know they were gonna add the new arena matchmaking where u wont find units with inherited skills if your team doesn't have any. So is this out yet? Or did i mishear it?

That's been out for a few weeks now. It doesn't prevent you from being matched against them, but just decreases the likelihood.

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Ninian managed to tank a hit from Spring Camilla with double digit HP remaining sometime last week because I screwed up my positioning. It was glorious. (And then I had a teleporting Ninian for the rest of the match. It was more glorious.)

Wait, Ninian tanked that...? Holy cow, I didn't think that'd be possible. Nowi is understandable, since mine can kinda tank green nukers pretty decently if she isn't facing a +Atk 40+10 super-buffed Gronnblade+ opponent. But Ninian? I know she'd be respectably bulky with her own buff working its magic on her, but not to the point she'd tank Spring Camilla (Who I'm guessing was 40+10?). Wasn't your Ninian even running Triangle Adept? That's really something else...

By the way, since you're one of those that runs Fortify Dragons to buff Ninian, I'm sincerely curious about something. Do you think Fortify Dragons would work better on Young Tiki or Nowi? I actually have a spare Ninian, and I'm really not sure about who to give her buff to. Or if I should merge her to my superior Ninian. I'm even almost considering just waiting it out to see if anyone else will ever get Fortify Dragons.

5 minutes ago, Ryu Yuki said:

Wait, Ninian tanked that...? Holy cow, I didn't think that'd be possible. Nowi is understandable, since mine can kinda tank green nukers pretty decently if she isn't facing a +Atk 40+10 super-buffed Gronnblade+ opponent. But Ninian? I know she'd be respectably bulky with her own buff working its magic on her, but not to the point she'd tank Spring Camilla (Who I'm guessing was 40+10?). Wasn't your Ninian even running Triangle Adept? That's really something else...

Running calcs, neutral +0 Spring Camilla has 35 Atk. Gronnblade+ is 13 Atk. Triangle Adept 3 on Ninian makes that 67 effective Atk. Subtracting Ninian's 33 Def at the time makes that 34 damage, leaving her with 15/49 HP. That's the most vanilla scenario possible.

The Camilla wasn't buffed at the time, so the worst it could possibly have been would be +Atk +10 Spring Camilla with 42 Atk. Triangle Adept 3 makes that 77 effective Atk. Which leaves Ninian with 5/49 HP as the worst case scenario under those circumstances.

Yeah. Ninian can tank some absurd things as long as she doesn't get double attacked.

On a random note, -Res +10 Ninian with Fortify Dragons active and S HP +3 tanks +Atk +10 Reinhardt with Death Blow 3 with 7/49 HP remaining. With =Res, she tanks the same Reinhardt with Hone Cavalry active with 1/49 HP remaining.

17 minutes ago, Ryu Yuki said:

By the way, since you're one of those that runs Fortify Dragons to buff Ninian, I'm sincerely curious about something. Do you think Fortify Dragons would work better on Young Tiki or Nowi? I actually have a spare Ninian, and I'm really not sure about who to give her buff to. Or if I should merge her to my superior Ninian. I'm even almost considering just waiting it out to see if anyone else will ever get Fortify Dragons.

Whoever tends to stick near Ninian more often.

Ninian's first merge is +1 HP and +1 Spd, if you think that will benefit you more than another Fortify Dragons user.

I have a feeling Ninian will the the only Fortify Dragons donor for quite some time. I'm expecting Nils to have Hone Dragons. Myrrh might come with Goad or Ward or possibly a negate effective damage skill (really anyone's guess at this point). Bantu might be the next character I wouldn't be surprised to see Fortify Dragons on (considering he's probably best known for soaking up hits and his terrible accuracy).

4 hours ago, Ryu Yuki said:

Tell me about it. It's easily my most hated map, because I don't run fliers. The linear and limited pathing just screws your movement options and I get zoned particularly hard if Julia is on the opposing side. Her range just stops me from going to the middle of the map entirely and I can't reach her across the lava either. It's the kind of map where ranged units and fliers thrive, neither of which I particularly run much of. (I do occasionally throw in my 40+1 Takumi when I get fed up though)

Thankfully, being able to change my initial starting position has made it more manageable for me. That single map screwed me hard if I had subpar starting positions because the opponent doesn't wait for me to rearrange myself.

Even with one flier, that map is still annoying.  My melee units have to hoof it up to the enemy.  Tharja ruins my day.  Julia/Nino is somewhat manageable.  Linde/M!Robin/Reinhardt just dies.

6 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Even with one flier, that map is still annoying.  My melee units have to hoof it up to the enemy.  Tharja ruins my day.  Julia/Nino is somewhat manageable.  Linde/M!Robin/Reinhardt just dies.

Yeah, I can definitely imagine it'd still be rather annoying. But for melee units especially, it becomes easy for them to be zoned because of that lava wall in the middle that allows enemy ranged units (or fliers) to reach them but not vice versa. At the very least, I tend to be forced to wait for the enemy team to swarm me before I can reliably start picking them off. Unfortunately I've been too focused on attaining my first 40+10 unit that I've completely neglected to try raising a variety of units, so I don't have any real fliers to work with.

What team do you actually run? From what it sounds like, I'm assuming 2-3 greens, but that's just me making my own assumptions here.

Just now, Ryu Yuki said:

Yeah, I can definitely imagine it'd still be rather annoying. But for melee units especially, it becomes easy for them to be zoned because of that lava wall in the middle that allows enemy ranged units (or fliers) to reach them but not vice versa. At the very least, I tend to be forced to wait for the enemy team to swarm me before I can reliably start picking them off. Unfortunately I've been too focused on attaining my first 40+10 unit that I've completely neglected to try raising a variety of units, so I don't have any real fliers to work with.

What team do you actually run? From what it sounds like, I'm assuming 2-3 greens, but that's just me making my own assumptions here.

The -raven+ TA Spring Camilla that ate a lot of resources.  She single-handedly nullified blue/colorless as threats.  The only things that survive her wrath are Linde and Effie.

Might run Ryoma over Tiki for this season, just because of the lava map.  At least he can do something about it.  Virion can tank a hit from Julia/Nino, and if I'm lucky, Tharja.  But +Spd Tharjas screw me over VERY hard.

13 minutes ago, eclipse said:

The -raven+ TA Spring Camilla that ate a lot of resources.  She single-handedly nullified blue/colorless as threats.  The only things that survive her wrath are Linde and Effie.

Might run Ryoma over Tiki for this season, just because of the lava map.  At least he can do something about it.  Virion can tank a hit from Julia/Nino, and if I'm lucky, Tharja.  But +Spd Tharjas screw me over VERY hard.

Hm... That's pretty scary actually. Spring Camilla already has a lot of mobility, and being able to single-handedly check two different colors does make her extremely useful. I would say that it was probably worth whatever resources you had to throw her way. I can definitely see her being worth her weight. Also Ryoma might be worth running over Tiki, since he deals physical damage and most mages tend to suffer from lower physical defense (Except the Robins). Does your Tiki have Lightning Breath+, or does her problem lie elsewhere? Also I'm surprised Virion can tank any kind of magical hit with that paper-thin Res of his. 13 Res at 40 is a very dangerous threshold, no matter how I look at it. His other stats do seem respectable though, so I can see why you'd use him. 

Edited by Ryu Yuki

4 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Okay, Ice Dragon is pissed. Pissed enough to spend 23 sword refills to get his goddamn 4,900+ deathless run.

Made three dumb mistakes that cost me three perfect streaks, and I refuse to give anyone the satisfaction of a defense victory from me. So now I have 2 sword refills left.

Score: 4,910
Defense: 302

I want Julia back as my Reinhardt counter. ;.;

Just realized I never updated this.

Score: 4,910
Defense: 302

Well, at least there's something I can brag about for all my dumb mistakes.

1 minute ago, Ryu Yuki said:

Hm... That's pretty scary actually. Spring Camilla already has a lot of mobility, and being able to single-handedly check two different colors does make her extremely useful. I would say that it was probably worth whatever resources you had to throw her way. I can definitely see her being worth her weight. Also Ryoma might be worth running over Tiki, since he deals physical damage and most mages tend to suffer from lower physical defense (Except the Robins). Does your Tiki have Lightning Breath+, or does her problem lie elsewhere? Also I'm surprised Virion can tank any kind of magical hits with that paper-thin Res of his. 13 Res at 40 is a very dangerous threshold, no matter how I look at it. His other stats do seem respectable though, so I can see why you'd use him. 

My only 5* feather promotion was for the raven+ tome.  I'm nowhere near another one, since I've been using my feathers to get skills on my other units.  I think Spring Camilla's the best choice for -raven, since it greatly cuts down the damage she takes from archers (Single-hit record is 14 from a buffed Takumi).

Tiki's running her default weapon, because I have one decent Adult Tiki (not using her for inheritance) and zero Nowis.  I'm seriously considering Dark Breath+, since it fits my debuff style.  She's also -Atk.

My Virion is 4* with -Res.  That's 9 Res at level 40.  He makes up for it with the HP +3 seal, giving him 47 HP total.  He's +Spd, and with Spd +3 in his A slot, not much doubles him.  That means he can take exactly one non-Raven hit, and live to tell about it.  The poor sop on the other end will usually regret it, though!  Which reminds me, he needs something like Swap, so that I can run a melee attacker up to the mage and make them cry.

22 minutes ago, eclipse said:

My only 5* feather promotion was for the raven+ tome.  I'm nowhere near another one, since I've been using my feathers to get skills on my other units.  I think Spring Camilla's the best choice for -raven, since it greatly cuts down the damage she takes from archers (Single-hit record is 14 from a buffed Takumi).

Tiki's running her default weapon, because I have one decent Adult Tiki (not using her for inheritance) and zero Nowis.  I'm seriously considering Dark Breath+, since it fits my debuff style.  She's also -Atk.

My Virion is 4* with -Res.  That's 9 Res at level 40.  He makes up for it with the HP +3 seal, giving him 47 HP total.  He's +Spd, and with Spd +3 in his A slot, not much doubles him.  That means he can take exactly one non-Raven hit, and live to tell about it.  The poor sop on the other end will usually regret it, though!  Which reminds me, he needs something like Swap, so that I can run a melee attacker up to the mage and make them cry.

Ah, I see. Well, as the sole flying mage in the game, -raven is indeed an amazing weapon on her. You can reduce archer damage without resorting to Iote's Shield while also granting her the ability to check half the game with amazing flexibility. 14 damage from a buffed Takumi is indeed really impressive, and I can see how it'd work so well. Also that explains a lot about the Tiki. Yeah, I'd definitely suggest running Ryoma over her because of how well he can counter green mages and also since he has really optimized stats to begin with (Amazing Atk+Spd). 

Meanwhile 9 Res almost sounds scary, but that's indeed a lot of HP. I can see how you manage to make him work, as one would presumably need 56 Atk to OHKO him with any kind of magical blow. Also Swap is an excellent movement assist, but I do recommend trying out Reposition as well. Reposition moves another unit a whole 2 spaces backwards while placing the user in front of them. If you have a tank, it's an excellent skill for saving some melee unit that performed an assassination. Not only will you have someone defending them, the 2-tile displacement will also make it less likely that some nearby mage will get funny ideas about trying to sneak a hit in on them.

Edited by Ryu Yuki

12 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm running a similar squad, except that Gunter replaces Sophia. Gunter and Cecilia are 4* +0, Ninian and Reinhardt are 5*, +1 and +0. Matchups are 662-680 BST. Hone Cavalry on Gunter, Goad Cavalry on Reinhardt, Protect Cavalry on Cecilia.

I've faced many 5* Julias and some 5* Ninos, but every one of them could be oneshot by a carefully buffed Cecilia, most of the time with a good damage margin, and sometimes (Julia) with an overkill double hit.

Does the situation change drastically with the +10 merged 5* that you are facing ?