Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

7 hours ago, azurrys said:

It was kind of cool to see an optimised cavalry team, but goddammit, I was at 5/7 deathless! And now I really want to build an all-mage cavalry team but don't have Leo. Someday.

You don't need all three colors for a cavalry defense team. The point of a defense team is not to win every match, it's to win at least one match per week.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm late to the party but seriously Julia is so good. Managed to pull a +atk one in Ike's banner and she frequently sits at 59/60 atk when buffed with Eirika. I thought Soren/Ike would be my green mage killer but with the sudden arrival of Julia, well they can wait on the bench.

Man, Takumi has become so lackluster in Arena runs; I want to use my Sanaki, but she gives less points and when I use worthless Takumi, I don't seem to manage deathless runs, because he sucks against those frekking merge teams (still no idea why I'm facing obvious kamikaze whale teams with + 5 merges, when I only possess a single one-time merge. It's really frustrating and I have nothing else to do in the game, arrrgh....

Surprisingly though, I had three arena defense wins rather quickly this week, while I barely got one last week. I really wish I could see how often they fought and what made them lose beforehand and win in the current week.

59 minutes ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

Man, Takumi has become so lackluster in Arena runs; I want to use my Sanaki, but she gives less points and when I use worthless Takumi, I don't seem to manage deathless runs, because he sucks against those frekking merge teams (still no idea why I'm facing obvious kamikaze whale teams with + 5 merges, when I only possess a single one-time merge. It's really frustrating and I have nothing else to do in the game, arrrgh....

Surprisingly though, I had three arena defense wins rather quickly this week, while I barely got one last week. I really wish I could see how often they fought and what made them lose beforehand and win in the current week.

Takumi doesn't do as well on offense with his default kit, since Close-Counter on a ranged is pretty much strictly inferior to Distant-Counter on a melee.

However, his stat spread is absurd if you make him into Klein+. L&D Brave Bow+ and he goes to town. You can also just use his legendary bow with Fury 3 or L&D, of course, and he still hits like a truck. (Really need to take off close-counter so he can use the good, +stat A-skills).

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

You don't need all three colors for a cavalry defense team. The point of a defense team is not to win every match, it's to win at least one match per week.

While I agree, without IS putting in a way for us to see if we're even being challenged (and how often/by whom) there's really no way to properly gauge what makes a defense team work.  Some people will get double digits every week, while someone else with a similar or even identical defense team won't win anything.  Then there's instances where you set a new defense team, instantly win, but then it never wins again.

It's such a crap-shoot that I'm trying to ween myself off of even checking the defense results.  No use worrying about something that can neither be controlled nor measured.

1 hour ago, DehNutCase said:

Takumi doesn't do as well on offense with his default kit, since Close-Counter on a ranged is pretty much strictly inferior to Distant-Counter on a melee.

However, his stat spread is absurd if you make him into Klein+. L&D Brave Bow+ and he goes to town. You can also just use his legendary bow with Fury 3 or L&D, of course, and he still hits like a truck. (Really need to take off close-counter so he can use the good, +stat A-skills).

Absolutely, I agree, though I'm still building up my Bladetomeusers who need those A-skills first, only got one Hana and I guess Zephiel, though sacrificing those would surely be bugging me. Finally, there is the problem of him not being in my planned final build for infantry (Flier/Horse Emblem might follow if I feel the need to be a scrub), so it's just the frustration I have now and because I wasted all my duel crests (yes, I managed to use them up because of all the single matches, where the kamikaze teams kill one of my units.).

You are obviously correct and he is useable with SI; I would just need a spare 40k feathers for it that I neither want to use on him, nor currently possess.

4882 score update:

4pm PDT 4/26: 272

6pm PDT 4/27: 430

Reasonably sized drop, but not unexpected, I wouldn't say...especially given that people not getting extra swords would be completing streaks of 7 by today at the earliest.

Team Flier has picked up 3 defensive wins, maxing out at 288.

Team: 5* Jeorge, Takumi, Eirika, Sharena (no merges)

This week's deathless run:

Score: 4784

Defense: 288

Last week, with the same team:
Score: 4766

Defense: 287

An improvement over last week, which was a personal best that got me into the top 10k. Seems like 16 points makes a big difference. Will it be enough to get into the top 5k? We'll see, but I doubt I will score much higher this week, my attempts to improve upon my score all ended up with a death somewhere in the run.

pJEYz7P.png?1

1 minute ago, DehNutCase said:

At least she buffs. My Navarre literally does nothing.

I actually tried using Navarre at first. Boy was he useless. And then I realized Sharena was a bonus unit and that I have her at 4*. Amazingly, even beyond buffing she's even good for taking a single hit. Might not seem like much, but it did make my life at least once or twice in my arena chain. 

Just now, Ryu Yuki said:

I actually tried using Navarre at first. Boy was he useless. And then I realized Sharena was a bonus unit and that I have her at 4*. Amazingly, even beyond buffing she's even good for taking a single hit. Might not seem like much, but it did make my life at least once or twice in my arena chain. 

Navarre tanks a single Lucina hit, and deals 10 damage in return.

(Spoiler Alert: All Lucinas double Navarre for lethal). Hate him, so much.

I was leveling Navarre to use in the arena, then I randomly decided to check what skills I'd need to make him one-round Hector and figured I might toss him a bone if he was like 1 or 2 damage off.  He basically needs the absolute optimal conditions to ever even consider one-rounding Hector.  After that, I finished leveling him because I always level the GHB units, but then benched him for Sharena.

Really curious if they're going to rotate Alfonse/Sharena/Anna every week or just now and then.  If they're sticking to the rotation, I'm definitely going to have to save some feathers.

3 minutes ago, GinRei said:

I was leveling Navarre to use in the arena, then I randomly decided to check what skills I'd need to make him one-round Hector and figured I might toss him a bone if he was like 1 or 2 damage off.  He basically needs the absolute optimal conditions to ever even consider one-rounding Hector.  After that, I finished leveling him because I always level the GHB units, but then benched him for Sharena.

Really curious if they're going to rotate Alfonse/Sharena/Anna every week or just now and then.  If they're sticking to the rotation, I'm definitely going to have to save some feathers.

I would imagine it's just now and then. If they do it every week though, I am seriously going to need to consider 5*ing them because it's just so worth it in the long term. But I first need to complete two 5* Adult Tiki(s) for inheritance purposes, so it's going to take quite a while before I can ever get around to that.

12 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Navarre tanks a single Lucina hit, and deals 10 damage in return.

(Spoiler Alert: All Lucinas double Navarre for lethal). Hate him, so much.

You have my deepest sympathies.

Woah, 4778 is rank 3757. I think that's the highest I've ever gotten. I think I might be able to stay within the top 5k.

Also, Darting Desperation Lucina + Life and Death Kagerou + Azura + Fury Reinhardt netting me six defense wins so far. Ah, how good it feels to torture other people.

On 4/25/2017 at 11:31 PM, Ice Dragon said:

Just realized I never updated this.

Score: 4,910
Defense: 302

Well, at least there's something I can brag about for all my dumb mistakes.

Haven't won a single defense since the first one on the first day. Is Ninian scaring people away?

Oh well, anyone who actually fights my team soon will be met with an unpleasant surprise... my +4 Olwen [+Spd, -Def] (Dire Thunder, Ardent Sacrifice, Draconic Aura, Life and Death 3, Desperation 3, Hone Cavalry) is almost ready to join her brother on my defense team (just need SP for Ardent Sacrifice and Hone Cavalry, which I can use my fourth merge to gather for me).

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Haven't won a single defense since the first one on the first day. Is Ninian scaring people away?

Oh well, anyone who actually fights my team soon will be met with an unpleasant surprise... my +4 Olwen [+Spd, -Def] (Dire Thunder, Ardent Sacrifice, Draconic Aura, Life and Death 3, Desperation 3, Hone Cavalry) is almost ready to join her brother on my defense team (just need SP for Ardent Sacrifice and Hone Cavalry, which I can use my fourth merge to gather for me).

I must mention that I'm getting an unusually small amount of defense wins this week too. Usually I'm filled with 10 people on Day 1, or at least close to it, but this season I've only had 2 for a while now, for whatever reason. Also that sounds just positively scary. Sure wouldn't want to run into that team!

And yes your Ninian is so awe-inspiring that I'd probably feel pressured to bow before her if I ever ran into your team

2 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:
  Hide contents

Had a unit die in the first match, couldn't be arsed to carry Navarre through another 7 matches, so I'm just going to stop here this week. (I can't wait for an actually useful bonus unit next week.)

I feel you. Maybe you want to consider raising the Askr trio to 4*? They seem to be consistent bonus heroes, so there's that going for them.

Edited by Ryu Yuki

1 minute ago, Ryu Yuki said:

I feel you. Maybe you want to consider raising the Askr trio to 4*? They seem to be consistent bonus heroes, so there's that going for them.

If they end up every week, I'll be 5*ing them. Didn't bother these 2 seasons because it's not certain that they'll be on the rotation again.

14 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Had a unit die in the first match, couldn't be arsed to carry Navarre through another 7 matches, so I'm just going to stop here this week. (I can't wait for an actually useful bonus unit next week.)

Man, once Xander gets on the bonus heroes list, it's gonna be a breeze.

42 minutes ago, Ryu Yuki said:

Also that sounds just positively scary. Sure wouldn't want to run into that team!

And a destroyer of worlds was born:

Spoiler

SzoraGj.jpg

That's 36 / 48 / 45 / 13 / 26 when Hone Cavalry from Reinhardt is up.

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

And a destroyer of worlds was born:

Hide contents

SzoraGj.jpg

That's 36 / 48 / 45 / 13 / 26 when Hone Cavalry from Reinhardt is up.

Considering her movement, two-tile attack range and the fact she hits twice, that's seriously scary... Thankfully she seems to be an easy kill on the offense, with that paper-thin defense of hers.