Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

It's the highest tier. 

If the feather rewards were any less, there wouldn't be much motivation for people to even try for it. 

I, for one, am just happy that this is a game where you can be completely F2P and still make it into the highest competitive tier and get the best rewards instead of this being a P2W game like some other gachas. 

Is it possible to get into Tier 20 as F2P?  I'm in 19 with a Deathless Streak with a few mergers, and I'm still not at the cut-off to move uo.

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

Is it possible to get into Tier 20 as F2P?  I'm in 19 with a Deathless Streak with a few mergers, and I'm still not at the cut-off to move uo.

I've gotten scores in the 4840s as f2p (and with no merges) which apparently would have been enough to move up to 20 last week but not this week. (Also I didn't get quite that high this week anyway.) I think the tiering requirements should still be tending to get more lenient over time, although there are some fluctuations.

1 hour ago, GuiltyLove said:

Dang :P I guess I'll just be bouncing between 17 and 18 every week :P

Just like me, actually. I’ve no hope to promote, so back to tier 17 it will be with me then. Back and forth, back and forth.

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

Should be, though you have to be willing to heavily invest feathers, which is kind of counter-intuitive if you're Arenaing to get feathers, but I digress. I've put a bit of money into the game, but almost all of it was in attempt to get a trophy Ike, with the most notable results being that I have no Ike, got my pity rate broken by a nigh-worthless -Spd Soren and snagged an okay 4* +Atk/-Def Eirika. The last one was actually pretty useful, though I had to drop 20k feathers on her to make her even viable as a team member. I'm basically no better off than the average F2P, so my strategy is basically the major viable F2P approach: never use 5* exclusives. All three of my core can be drawn as less than 5* (Nino at 3-4*, Nowi and Eirika at 4*). I've basically funneled the last two months' worth of feathers into promoting up crappy -Atk and -Spd 3* Ninos to merge into my good Nino to push her merge level up. I have had a little bit of fortune along the way in grabbing a couple 5* Nowis off of her focus banners, but that largely offsets some poor feather-spending choices I made when SI first came out and pre-matchmaking-revision. And even then, I'm on the very edge of the cut-off with Sharena 5*, Nowi +2, Nino +3 and Eirika. Of course, the new tiers are still young, and as Othin said, it should grow more lenient over time.

TLDR: For the moment, you more of less have to spend triple the amount of feathers you stand to earn. Wait 4-6 weeks and that will likely no longer be the case.

Well, I'm glad Hinoka's on next season's bonus hero list. Though, I guess that means I should probably actually give her some skills.

I think I should be able to get away with running Ninian, Hinoka, Minerva, and Spring Camilla this coming season, though I'm not particularly confident in my ability to run a player phase team.

1 hour ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

Should be, though you have to be willing to heavily invest feathers, which is kind of counter-intuitive if you're Arenaing to get feathers, but I digress. I've put a bit of money into the game, but almost all of it was in attempt to get a trophy Ike, with the most notable results being that I have no Ike, got my pity rate broken by a nigh-worthless -Spd Soren and snagged an okay 4* +Atk/-Def Eirika. The last one was actually pretty useful, though I had to drop 20k feathers on her to make her even viable as a team member. I'm basically no better off than the average F2P, so my strategy is basically the major viable F2P approach: never use 5* exclusives. All three of my core can be drawn as less than 5* (Nino at 3-4*, Nowi and Eirika at 4*). I've basically funneled the last two months' worth of feathers into promoting up crappy -Atk and -Spd 3* Ninos to merge into my good Nino to push her merge level up. I have had a little bit of fortune along the way in grabbing a couple 5* Nowis off of her focus banners, but that largely offsets some poor feather-spending choices I made when SI first came out and pre-matchmaking-revision. And even then, I'm on the very edge of the cut-off with Sharena 5*, Nowi +2, Nino +3 and Eirika. Of course, the new tiers are still young, and as Othin said, it should grow more lenient over time.

TLDR: For the moment, you more of less have to spend triple the amount of feathers you stand to earn. Wait 4-6 weeks and that will likely no longer be the case.

This has caused me to start to fall behind a bit. I'm taking a collector approach, where I want to get as many different characters to 5* as possible, which eats up most of my feathers and means I never want to upgrade characters to 5* just for merges or inheritance.

8SO8TMc.png

Whew. Took me about 20 crests of only picking 692 or higher (my absolute range seems to be 686-700) and got pretty lucky. Rank #1942 for now, cutoff is 2412 so I think I made it.

Gonna miss my smiling infantry and Cherche team. Time to embrace stern horse team, I suppose.

3 hours ago, Othin said:

This has caused me to start to fall behind a bit. I'm taking a collector approach, where I want to get as many different characters to 5* as possible, which eats up most of my feathers and means I never want to upgrade characters to 5* just for merges or inheritance.

Understandable. It's also generally better for game-mode coverage to have a deeper bench. Really, the main benefit is Arena score, since, barring hitting a few really key benchmarks (like when I pushed my Nino to 43 base Spd, which allows her to double 42-Spd Legion with a Hone Spd boost), the stat gain for individual merges is kind of pitiful for its price. Said stats add up over several merges to make a difference, but 20k isn't super amazing. I enjoy Arena quite a bit, so I'm willing to take the huge feather deficit to remain competitive, but I really can't recommend such an approach to people other than those who enjoy the mode as much as I do.

Tier 19 score of 4856 (New career high! No deaths; no surrenders; 690, 696, 692, 698, 690, 690, 700; Nowi +2, Sharena 5*, Eirika, Nino +3):

• Jun 15 12:35AM PT - #703 (/2271 to Tier 20)
  • Jun 15 4:00PM PT - #1104 (/2305 to Tier 20)
  • Jun 16 4:00PM PT - #1387 (/2346 to Tier 20)
  • Jun 17 4:15PM PT - #1684 (/2370 to Tier 20)
  • Jun 18 3:00PM PT - #1912 (/2392 to Tier 20)
  • Jun 19 3:00PM PT - #2210 (/2412 to Tier 20)

Okay, things picked up again, but didn't get too crazy, so I'm pretty much safe by a bit of a bigger margin than I anticipated. Defense team snagged two more wins overnight. Score for my practice streak was looking kind of low and I just finished leveling Athena on the weekend, so I decided to take the new team for a practice spin on the last three swords before season's end. Didn't fight enough greens to give Athena a chance to contribute to actual combo, though. Or maybe it's just that Nino's too good at wrecking stuff. >.>

Season 20 (1.3.0 S6) Results:

Score: 4,796
Defense: 578

ZV7zSmi.png

Switched back to Nino for reliability, and Ephraim finally got TA3 to replace his filler HP+3 A skill.  The next step is to get QR2, since bulkier reds like Xander, Eldigan, and even Ryoma sometimes can survive a hit from him, which is simply unacceptable in the WoM meta.  I'm just glad this rotation of bonus heroes is done with.

Season 20 Hall of Fame:

Spoiler

tU5bEOH.png

is this starting to look weird yet

ioI3xFm.png

This man has good taste in dragons.  It's too bad that even green mages give her lots of trouble, something that a DC red ought to be really good at it...

5bKpTFk.png

3QyrglH.png

These two were paired with a Zephiel+2 and a Navarre, both of whom I didn't screencap for some reason.  No team synergy whatsoever, but the dedication to the GHB Heroes is impressive.  I regret not sending him a friend request.

eQcTgD5.png

I only ran into horse emblem once this week thankfully, and it was on the split mountain map.  Any other map and I probably would have been food for this thing.

Previous Season Results:

While I easily got into tier 19 (I was ranked around 2500, over 8000 made it to tier 19), I do wonder how difficult it will be to advance to 20 or even stay at 19.

Some people are posting that scores of 4850 were barely enough to get to 20 this past week.

My personal best is 4816.

But if 4814 was ranked 2500 out of some 8500 people who advanced to tier 19 this week, maybe I'll have a shot since there's a LOT more people in tier 19 now that aren't using a ton of merged units?

It seems around 4820 is about as far as I can go with a team with no merges.

9 hours ago, GuiltyLove said:

I see Soren instead of Nino :P Reminds me of this: 

Hmm I wonder how easy it will be to stay in T18 this season. I don't have good units to use this time :/

Indeed, I meant Soren, not Nino, though I do have a Nino! Often when discussing one, the other is mentioned, they are two very similar units...

Welp, back to Tier 19 I go! Not that it's surprising or anything since I didn't even bother to get a deathless run this week. 

I'm probably just going to spend the rest of my days bouncing back and forth between Tiers 19 and 20 :'D

Score: 4812 (Avg. 686 per battle with battles ranging from 680-690)

Defense: 564 (1)

Tier: 18 --> 19

Total Rewards: 5400 + 4 Orbs

This week, a score of 4812 placed me at a rank of about ~2500 and about 8000 people were promoted into 19.  Promoting Fae to +2 definitely helped boost my score, where I can reach values as high as 692 per battle while running a Core + SI'd 4* team.  Gonna have to run 4* Anna as a make-shift buff bot for the next season.

Edited by Kalibur

My Deathless still got demoted.  I hate this system and hope they change the way arena tiers work again.

3 hours ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

While I easily got into tier 19 (I was ranked around 2500, over 8000 made it to tier 19), I do wonder how difficult it will be to advance to 20 or even stay at 19.

Some people are posting that scores of 4850 were barely enough to get to 20 this past week.

My personal best is 4816.

But if 4814 was ranked 2500 out of some 8500 people who advanced to tier 19 this week, maybe I'll have a shot since there's a LOT more people in tier 19 now that aren't using a ton of merged units?

It seems around 4820 is about as far as I can go with a team with no merges.

Indeed, I meant Soren, not Nino, though I do have a Nino! Often when discussing one, the other is mentioned, they are two very similar units...

It's impossible to stay at 18 or 19. You either advance or fall.

Well, this week was pretty uneventful. I got to tier 19 with a score of 4816 which isn't my best but I was too busy with the  TT and Legion to bother fishing for points.

I wonder how much do you need to go to tier 20 because I'm sure the best I can do is around 4836 with a full SI team, I'm f2p so the best merges I have available are a +1 Lukas and +2 Bride Lyn which seem pretty underwhelming compared to the +10 teams I've seen here, but I don't mind bouncing between tiers 18 and 19 and maybe getting to 20 every blue moon.

Next week I'll have to choose between Luke and Hinoka for the bonus...Sadly I'm not a big fan of Emblem teams, so I'll have to find a way to make them useful for my main team.

14 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I'm still F2P and made it this week. Merge wise my team was nowi +3, nino +2, bride lyn +1, adult tiki +0. I also had all skill slots taken except for bride lyn (since I planned on swapping her once the season ended). I'd guess you can drop a merge (maybe 2 depending on exactly how much skills count) if you make sure all skill slots are covered. You could also get there with a bit less if you forfeit matches which I never did to try get higher valued matches.

I'm guessing I'll go back and forth between tier 20 and 19 as I didn't make it by much. Other mild annoying thing is I can't really vary my team much if I try to maximize points as ninian and hinoka are the only other merges I have.

I made it into tier 18 this week.

Just got my highscore of 4,792 with a team of Celica/Camus/Michalis/Ninian

Barely had any trouble this time, which is surprising, considering how much I hate this map rotation.

Arena quests are back but they had to become available when the most cancerous map rotation is on.

After a shitty run, I quickly got a deathless 7-streak score of 4766.

Edited by Roflolxp54