Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

Small random update on my runs...

For Arena, I still run my classic Ephraim, Nino, Ryoma, + Bonus Unit (typically Alfonse or Sharena) combo. For now I am simply content bouncing back and forth between ranks 19 and 18. I guess I don't take Arena as seriously as I used to, and my team comp works fairly well against most teams. I do run into problems when Anna is the Askr representative because she is still a 4* hero and not kitted out yet, but I don't let that worry me too much.

As for Arena Assault, I play that super casually. I tend to run "duo runs" (placing two of my highest members on the first team, usually Ryoma and Ephraim, while playing Beginner difficulty) while I just breeze through the rest of the content because of the lower "set strength" of the first team. I need to try out "trio runs" and see if I can still turn my brain off while maintaining a decent score. Personally, I find it better to just breeze through Arena Assault and get all 7 wins instead of trying a full team and failing somewhere along the way. This may change when there comes an actual use for Sacred Seals or I get back into FEH as a more "hardcore" player.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

There's a Tier 20 in the Beginners. And then there's a Tier 2 in the Intermediate, just to make it even weirder at first glance.

Beginner-Advanced depends only on the defensive team's scoring value. A tier 20 player could have used a strong team to get to that tier, but set a weaker team as their defence team.

Just now, Korath88 said:

Beginner-Advanced depends only on the defensive team's scoring value. A tier 20 player could have used a strong team to get to that tier, but set a weaker team as their defence team.

Like I said, I know the explanation. The sight of it juxtaposed against a Tier 2 with a better defence team is just weird.

On Arena Assault, I got a score of 4826, which has me at rank 3363.  I wonder if that will stay below the 5K threshold.  I was in the 2000s yesterday, so it seemed safe, but that's the biggest drop I've had this week.  Maybe we'll find out what Sacred Coins do tonight.

For regular Arena, my score of 4844 is rank 1263 which should easily get me back into Tier 20 next week, continuing the eternal cycle of 20-19-20 for me.  I don't know if the influx into Tier 20 will ever let me actually stay there or if it has already reached an equilibrium.

This week was pretty chill for me on normal arena, a score of 4664 will put me back on tier 19 (I just used Horse Emblem to finish it quickly).

On arena assault I completed a deathless streak for the first time (and with no items to boot for that final destination feel) with a score of  4848 which puts me at rank 2274 right now, I think I'll stay on the top 5k.

2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

On Arena Assault, I got a score of 4826, which has me at rank 3363.  I wonder if that will stay below the 5K threshold.  I was in the 2000s yesterday, so it seemed safe, but that's the biggest drop I've had this week.  Maybe we'll find out what Sacred Coins do tonight.

For regular Arena, my score of 4844 is rank 1263 which should easily get me back into Tier 20 next week, continuing the eternal cycle of 20-19-20 for me.  I don't know if the influx into Tier 20 will ever let me actually stay there or if it has already reached an equilibrium.

From what I remember, about 7k players dropped out of Tier 20 last week, and the amount currently set to move up is just over 8k. So it seems to still be growing, although who knows if the score threshold is still opening up as well.

Manage to get golden 4820+ score on both AA and Arena

Kinda get the hang of A assault now. With the addition of CYL Roy next season and hopefully Zephiel promo and maybe Trained Effie i could probably aim higher

Klein Dancer 1v4 Flier Emblem lol

20 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

Also are the bonus units changing yet? I've lost track.

They are.

The four CYL heroes, Olivia, Donnel, Valter, Sharena, and two randoms will be bonus units next two weeks.

Edited by Vaximillian

11 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

They are.

The four CYL heroes, Olivia, Donnel, Valter, Sharena, and two randoms will be bonus units next two weeks.

Well that's neat, I don't have to train anyone new besides the free CYL unit.

I should probably train my Raven tome users to prepare for Brave!Lyn...

2 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

I should probably train my Raven tome users to prepare for Brave!Lyn...

I’m glad Soren never leaves my arena team anymore. Sorry Robinman, you’re still screwed.

Mucked up another Arena Assault run due to making a mistake and not having items set. It's getting really annoying. Apparently your items get un-set when you close the app. It's really annoying.

I really need to get Frederick some SP to finish up his set for maximum Effie killing.

2 hours ago, mcsilas said:

Anyone know what the cutoff is to move to Tier 20 right now?

Also are the bonus units changing yet? I've lost track.

1 hour ago, Vaximillian said:

They are.

They're probably going to stay the same for one more week before changing to that. The CYL banner won't be out until the middle of this week, and we have yet to have a bonus hero set start without all of the characters available.

4543 points in AA with three deaths total. The single bridge map with the defensive tiles always gets me. Didn't use items because, well, I never remember they're there. And I'm dropping down to Tier 18 with two defense wins. Shame that bonus units are changing. My Alphonse lead seems to be the only reason I earn defense wins. 

34 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

4543 points in AA with three deaths total. The single bridge map with the defensive tiles always gets me. Didn't use items because, well, I never remember they're there. And I'm dropping down to Tier 18 with two defense wins. Shame that bonus units are changing. My Alphonse lead seems to be the only reason I earn defense wins. 

I'd imagine all 3 of the Askr trio are treated the same when people are picking teams---if Alfonse gets more wins, it's probably due to a more favorable map rotation for defense or else better synergy with the rest of your team. And bear in mind Alfonse does very well when he's 'fighting down,' that is, when he has a level lead over the opponents. 25 spd is horrible, and doubled by everything... vs. people of equal level, if he out levels his enemies he stops being doubled, which makes him a major issue to take out. And his high Atk goes from barely missing OHKOs to OHKOs all day every day.

Sharena is similar, but 32 base speed isn't really fast enough to double people consistently even if you're fighting down, and her Atk and bulk are both worse than Alfonse.

Anna's very hit or miss, she's either facing a favorable matchup (mages or blues, preferably blue mages), in which case she'll wreck people, or else a single tap from a brave user kills her. Fighting down probably doesn't help her since equal level brave users overkill her by a lot, meaning under-leveled ones would still kill her, and it's not like her offenses improve vs. favorable matchups, since she kills them all already.

That said, they're 3 units with different niches and colors, so my guess would be that it's mostly a team synergy issue regarding defense wins. (Since, if Alfonse is filling a certain role that gets wins, it means the role maker is missing on other rotations.)

13 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

I'd imagine all 3 of the Askr trio are treated the same when people are picking teams---if Alfonse gets more wins, it's probably due to a more favorable map rotation for defense or else better synergy with the rest of your team.

Yeah, synergy is probably it, as Alphonse is the only one of my trio with a sensible assist for defense teams - draw back. Because otherwise he's a gimmick build I made in order to get rid of access SP, Bartres, and Berukas. Defiant Defense plus Brash Assault. A build that requires him to survive a round, which is unlikely. Anna meanwhile has shove - a skill that's good enough for the player but is awful on defense, and Sharena still has Rally Attack. Still though, It's hard to see Draw Back being the one thing to make me go from 0 defense wins with the other characters to 5 last week and 2 this week.

If Olivia is a bonus unit next week, then I'm having her sub for Sharena. Sharena is my least tuned up Askr unit, and one of my worst blue units overall. 

Season 30 (1.3.0 S16) Results:

Score: 4,822
Defense: 582

mnSWsq9.png

When planning out my team for this week, all I knew was that I wanted to use Innes.  Realizing that I’ve been fortunate enough to pull both the Renais and Frelia siblings, and figuring I probably won’t get another opportunity like this, I decided it was time to run team “double-date”.

With no greens and no magic, my assumption was that this team would be a total bust in the reliability department, and was prepared to spend a bunch of dueling crests to get a deathless streak.  Contrary to these expectations, I winded up going 100% deathless for the week, using two crests to set a streak on the first day, and using every free dueling sword afterwards.  This team braved armor emblem squads out the ass, horse emblem, flier emblem, Reinhardt, dancers, and just about everything else in between.

I had a particularly satisfying win over a Robin-M lead hiding three standard Hectors behind him.  Eirika can one-round him with an Atk buff from Ephraim/Innes, but that’s usually all she’ll be able to do.  Thankfully she was up to task and survived the second Hector with 1Hp remaining, but that still left the third Vantage + Bonfire Hector waiting in the wings.  I needed to have Ephraim tank a hit, and tickle him with Moonbow so as to not activate Vantage, while at the same time putting him at the threshold where Innes could oneshot him with his charged Iceberg from the engagement with Robin (thx Cancel Affinity). 

Surprisingly Tana didn’t engage in combat much, and was used primarily for positioning support.

Arena Assault:

ufQeezT.png

Season 30 Hall of Fame:

Spoiler

kcDmo0j.png

Xander for the point-conscious player. 

cMtR4pp.png

Rgnm7sb.png

Found these two on flier team with another Hinoka and a Valter.  I was almost disappointed Valter didn’t have the Carrot as well.  Innes actually required a buff to one-round Subaki, which was kind of annoying.

Previous Season Results:

2,500 feathers for 4,758 offence points;
   900 feathers for 574 defence points (miracle happen);
1,800 feathers and 4 orbs for demoting into tier 18;
1,700 feathers and 15 coins for arena assault rank 21,764;

6,900 feathers, 4 orbs, and 15 coins overall. Sweet.

I decided to go and finish my streak early this season since I want to avoid the CYL-hell that awaits us as long as humanly possible.

Score of 4818 in T19 with (Amelia, Effie, Eirika, Nino+1) is currently Rank 541.

Spoiler

gm0etAZ.png

With a little bit of fishing I would probably be able to get about 20-30 total points more, but since this will be enough for the Promotion into T20 anyway, I see no reason to bother with that. I'll be missing this team once this season ends; Armors with Armor March are way too fun to use, especially on Maps with lots of forrest. Also Amelia and Effie are an amazing Duo together. Maybe I'll drop Nino and Eirika instead for some Horsefun with Xander/Eldigan and Lyn for an amazing 2 Horse/2 Armor-Team.

Unfortunately no Day 1 Defenses this time around, but I have faith that the Team that managed to get 10+ Defenses the last two seasons will be able to trip at least someone during the next days.

Also managed to get a deathless Arena Assault Run going for a Score of 4860 which is a new personal best. Starting Team was (Hector, Amelia, Effie, Alfonse). The score should be safe for the 22 Coins + 3k Feathers so I'm completely happy with that.

Spoiler

jJwCL7E.jpg

Surprisingly low amount of Reinhardts were encountered this time around; only 1 was trying to get me, but got shut down immediatly by my Cecilia. Instead of Horses however, a lot of Armors were waiting; all with Armor March ofc. Luckily, even with the additional movement armors are still pretty easy to play around, so this streak was actually kinda easy. Honorable Mention to my boy Tobin here who destroyed an 2 Amelia/Hector/Sheena team with the help of Sakura all by himself as well as Bartre who has proven yet again that no Effie can touch his stache. He has helped me every single Arena Assault until now; should I ever have more Feathers than I know what to do with, I'll promote that beast to 5*.