Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

12 minutes ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

They pretty much got rid of the free unit rotation of old and replaced it with the GHB rotation, ey? OK, I guess, shame for my Olivia, but I can accept it.

So Tharja or Lilina.... hmm, not sure yet, prolly Tharja, Lilina kinda su.... is kinda meh; but tbh, it doesn't matter, this will be a 20-19-20 season for me, probably. Could use a care-free season again where I do not have to think about scores at all, although that pretty much doesn't exist anymore with AA being what it is.

The AA limit needs to be adjust the upper 1k and 5k are cramped as fuck

No Legendary unit with +10 merges & 3 units +10 and blessings = you auto drop from top 1k, its insane

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Hilda said:

No Legendary unit with +10 merges & 3 units +10 and blessings = you auto drop from top 1k, its insane

And you need three of those teams for three of the four blessing types to consistently stay there? Well, unachievable for me, so I'll enjoy my Rank 3k and higher rewards until I get permanently pushed out of it. Luckily, the only thing that stings a bit are the extra 1k feathers, the rest is irrelevant for me.

Didn't break 5k score barrier in regular arena, but I got new personal highscores in both arena (4988) and AA (5016, first time 5k!). 

Hopefully I'll get AA done tomorrow for the new season, since TTs start on Wednesday.

As for the bonus unit: Valter won't help me much, since Cordelia covers red. Roy would be perfect, but I'm not able to pull him. I'd go with Lilina, but she is missing B-Skill/Assist and Ike will get higher scores anyway. I may even put my first blessing on a unit: Earth blessing on Cherche. 

Edited by mampfoid

7 hours ago, Hilda said:

My team of Tiki, Gwendolyn [+Atk, -Spd], Amelia, and Brave Ike is currently rank 534 with a score of 5,228. All characters are optimized for score other than Tiki's Triangle Adept 3, Gwendolyn's nature (+Spd would bump her up a point), and Gwendolyn's Killer Lance+.

I should be able to replace Gwendolyn with Myrrh next week to bump my score up by a point (average 0.5 points per match), though I'll have to fish for an opening match that doesn't have Bold Fighter Zelgius in it (thankfully, most of them at the top run Warp Powder for points).

They should really make everyone that ties for first place count as only one place in the ranking.

The fact that there's always a million-way tie for first is dumb when the rewards tiers are split how they are. But at least it's not as bad as the old "top 100" tier that contained 150-200 or so players all tied for first.

It's time another (not-so-)exciting episode of Kuroi Continues to Get Outrun By the Curve!

• Tier 20 score of 5092 (Nino +10 with Aether, Atk Ploy 3 Seal; Nowi +10 with LB+Def, Aether, DD3 Seal; Adult Tiki with LB+Res, Rally D/R, Aether, Hone Spd 3 Seal; Anna 5* with Def Ploy 3 Seal) - #2091 (/5531)
  • Arena Assault score of 5180 (Nino +10 with Aether, Atk Ploy 3 Seal; Nowi +10 with LB+Def, Aether, DD3 Seal; Adult Tiki with LB+Res, Rally D/R, Aether, Hone Spd 3 Seal; Draug +10 with Wo Dao+Def, Rally D/R, Blazing Wind, Panic Ploy 3 Seal) - #1225

The Rally Def/Res on Tiki isn't new, but I kept forgetting to list it. Draug got three more merges, since I couldn't get more Tikis and Quick Riposte 3 to Nowi would have been worth less than a merge. I'm pretty sure the game low-balled me a bit here, but I didn't have time or energy for a second run. Granted, even if it were more generous, I doubt it'd get much farther than 5200 and given the discussion here, that wouldn't have gotten me into top 1000. Oh, well, I guess I can take solace in knowing this many points means I'm never going to fall out of top 3000. I might have to start optimizing my core a bit more after Draug gets Aether, since I'm starting to really run out of places to go without, say, considering building a Sheena to go with Draug. I think I'd need more Hector fodder before that and the one one I recently got went toward making Florina a Berkut Lance+ Res wall (inspired by Hilda's implacable Clair) because favouratism (and I don't think 60 more SP on Draug on its own would have done much).

I guess if two more Hectors did somehow happen, I could go for something like Sheena (+Spd), Draug, Nowi and my Fjorm +1, putting Water Blessings on Draug and Sheena (Nowi already has hers) and then only gunning for the top 1000 during water seasons. That would be something stupid like another 240k feathers off of now, though, so I dunno how I feel about that.

I haven't done a report in ages, so here's how things are going down in lazy whale land:

Arena (Tier 20)
Score: 5,102 (1 death)
Defense: 608 (×?)

Arena Assault
Score: 5,228 (0 deaths)

43 minutes ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

I'd need more Hector fodder before that and the one one I recently got went toward making Florina a Berkut Lance+ Res wall (inspired by Hilda's implacable Clair) because favouratism (and I don't think 60 more SP on Draug on its own would have done much).

You don't really need favoritism to justify using Florina with that build. Florina is pretty much the best non-armored Berkut's Lance magic wall in the game.

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

You don't really need favoritism to justify using Florina with that build. Florina is pretty much the best non-armored Berkut's Lance magic wall in the game.

Fair, though it was less about justifying the build itself and more about justifying using my only Distant Counter fodder on her over Draug when Draug is my AA point slave. In theory, the pragmatic thing would probably be to build Draug to stand on his own with the expectation of having that armour/trainee/legendary team to lead AA with down the road.

@Astellius - Thanks for the words of encouragement! I managed to do it! My normal Arena score was easily around a thousand ranks above the cut-off for tier 20, so for those interested, 5058 seems pretty safe. With armors in the rotation next week, who knows? And my score in AA (5078 I think) was good for around rank 2700. It wasn't the safest score, but it was good enough!

Still dunno who I'm going to use next season. I may try Lyn. She's not finished being built yet, but at the very least, she might be able to serve as a Reinhardt counter if I need her to. Until I'm done with her, I may just use Valter. I'm not sure I wanna replace Lucina... Too many dragons!

Back to tier 19. I guess it's still a long way before I can stay in tier 20 but getting a score above 5k is good enough for now. 

On AA as always I'm unable to stay in the top 5k thanks to the huge range gaps I get (702-720 is too inconsistent). One day I'll go back to the top 5k but first I'll need to think about who I wish to invest into to make a permanent +10 team.

Offense score of 5098 (T20) remains in T20, combining with a defense score of 616 for max rewards.

Teams faced (streak):

Spoiler

q2ZCzrJ.png

Teams faced (other):

Spoiler

WiEB2PG.png

I should probably think about omitting minor words from my character epithet abbreviations. I first considered it when I realized that if I encountered a Happy New Year! Takumi, he would be listed as "Takumi (PoS)", but I never actually saw one so I promptly forgot about it. But now that Love Abounds has happened, I have noticed that poor launch Hector is stuck with "Hector (GoO)", and any Love Abounds Lilina would be "Lilina (BoY)".

Anyways, Nino & Co. put in work again. Unfortunately, I managed to net two poorly timed deaths early on in the season due to carelessness, and I ended up digging into my crest stash to secure a streak. Brash Assault on Nino is still fun, and was very handy for taking out Great Flame/DC Myrrh (on top of the usual Wary Fighter & Super-Spd Stacked DC armors). Getting to run both WoM and QR on Azura was very handy and made enemy red units sad.

Alfonse in the next bonus unit rotation means that I'll be going back to my flier core for the next two Arena seasons. As a nice little bonus, the season's Sacred Coin payout gave me enough to finally finish off Def Ploy 3 for Caeda.

~

3 hours ago, Astellius said:

@LordFrigid I saw your team in the Arena today! :D

Wow, that makes twice in one week my team has been encountered by a SF member...how'd it go?

Season 54 Results:

Score: 4,994
Defense: 602

1wkeY0E.png

The new update brought upon some significant changes to my core, namely in shiny new Prf weapons for Hinoka and Caeda!  Amidst all the doom and gloom surrounding powercreep, it's nice to see that IS is willing to give direct buffs through doling out new skills to older units like this.  I'm hoping it becomes a regular thing with new updates.

Hinoka's Spear I was initially somewhat iffy on, but I'm beginning to see its value as I play more.  Its passive is essentially a free Goad so long as she doesn't stray too far, and stacked with Narcian's she's constantly operating at 60/44 offenses that can't be Panic'd.  +Spd is potentially her best boon now, and I couldn't be happier to have never pulled a +Atk one before.  It's such a radical change for her that I'm rethinking what build I even want to use with her.  TA is a remnant from my initial -Atk Hinoka, but it still helped for killing Swords on enemy phase as a compensation for the Brave Lance's low power.  I don't expect that to be much of a problem anymore, and she might be better served with something like Fury or even Heavy Blade from a spare Ike I pulled.  Next week I'll have the dew to refine her weapon, and get to play around with movement shenanigans. :)

I love the Wing Sword.  Aside from looking cool, one-shotting green armors before they can even retaliate and deleting any horse enemy, even Blues, is so satisfying.  It was my first choice to upgrade between it and Hinoka's Spear, and once Moonbow had been replaced with Iceberg, Caeda's special procs enjoy the same killing power they did with the Wo Dao.  It makes me wonder if, like Hinoka, +Spd becomes a more desirable boon for her. 

Lyon's fun, despite being incomplete.  He gets dibs on the next 4* Roy I pull.  Until then, he checks the defensively weak red mages and provides Res buffing support.   

My core all get blessings, not that they really matter.

Arena Assault:

rZIiE29.png

My rank keeps going down, despite scoring  higher than I normally do.  It's a worrying trend, and I fear it won't be long before I'm pushed out of the 5K threshold as well... 

Previous Season Results:

5 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

My team of Tiki, Gwendolyn [+Atk, -Spd], Amelia, and Brave Ike is currently rank 534 with a score of 5,228. All characters are optimized for score other than Tiki's Triangle Adept 3, Gwendolyn's nature (+Spd would bump her up a point), and Gwendolyn's Killer Lance+.

I should be able to replace Gwendolyn with Myrrh next week to bump my score up by a point (average 0.5 points per match), though I'll have to fish for an opening match that doesn't have Bold Fighter Zelgius in it (thankfully, most of them at the top run Warp Powder for points).

They should really make everyone that ties for first place count as only one place in the ranking.

The fact that there's always a million-way tie for first is dumb when the rewards tiers are split how they are. But at least it's not as bad as the old "top 100" tier that contained 150-200 or so players all tied for first.

Do any of your units run stuff like reposition, or all rally/def to optimize score?

Back to Tier 19 for me.  I hope I can get some more L'Arachels, so I can replace Ursula with her on my core 3.  Until then, the extra merge on Ursula from later this week will make her +4 for me.  With all those merges, I might be able to stick in Tier 20 next time, but we'll see.

@DarkLordIvy It looks like you can use your +10 Soren in Arena tomorrow.

Just now, Kaoxt said:

Do any of your units run stuff like reposition, or all rally/def to optimize score?

+10 Mystery Tiki [+Spd, -HP] (Lightning Breath+ [Def], Rally Def/Res, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 3, Drive Def 2, Atk Smoke 3)
+10 Gwendolyn [+Atk, -Spd] (Killer Lance+, Rally Def/Res, Aether, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Drive Def 2, Panic Ploy 3)
+10 Amelia [+Spd, -HP] (Slaying Axe+ [Spd], Rally Def/Res, Aether, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Armor March 3, Drive Def 2)
+10 Brave Ike [+Atk, -HP] (Urvan, Rally Def/Res, Aether, Distant Counter, Beorc's Blessing, Drive Def 2, Quick Riposte 3)

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Back to Tier 19 for me.  I hope I can get some more L'Arachels, so I can replace Ursula with her on my core 3.  Until then, the extra merge on Ursula from later this week will make her +4 for me.  With all those merges, I might be able to stick in Tier 20 next time, but we'll see.

@DarkLordIvy It looks like you can use your +10 Soren in Arena tomorrow.

I'm very excited!! I get to use my Soren/Ike/Ike/Ike team to full effect!
I'm thinking of going all in and throwing the earth blessings I got from the GHB quests on bIke and Soren. According to the articsilverfox calculator that would put me in the 720-735 range, which is terrifying and tempting.

2 minutes ago, DarkLordIvy said:

I'm very excited!! I get to use my Soren/Ike/Ike/Ike team to full effect!
I'm thinking of going all in and throwing the earth blessings I got from the GHB quests on bIke and Soren. According to the articsilverfox calculator that would put me in the 720-735 range, which is terrifying and tempting.

Now that I've actually got some Blessings, I'm tempted to use a few more of them, but I don't know if this recent flood of Blessings is a one-time thing or they're going to continue being a regular reward.

26 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

+10 Mystery Tiki [+Spd, -HP] (Lightning Breath+ [Def], Rally Def/Res, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 3, Drive Def 2, Atk Smoke 3)
+10 Gwendolyn [+Atk, -Spd] (Killer Lance+, Rally Def/Res, Aether, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Drive Def 2, Panic Ploy 3)
+10 Amelia [+Spd, -HP] (Slaying Axe+ [Spd], Rally Def/Res, Aether, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Armor March 3, Drive Def 2)
+10 Brave Ike [+Atk, -HP] (Urvan, Rally Def/Res, Aether, Distant Counter, Beorc's Blessing, Drive Def 2, Quick Riposte 3)

Who are you using for bonus unit normally? Rotating between Anna, Alfonse, etc.?

45 minutes ago, DLNarshen said:

My rank keeps going down, despite scoring  higher than I normally do.  It's a worrying trend, and I fear it won't be long before I'm pushed out of the 5K threshold as well... 

Exactly this. I've been managing to stay in top 5k since the beginning of AA and constantly improving my score. My new highscore of 5016 was worth rank 4868 this time ... 

Will you give Hinoka's spear also the upgrade? Guidance for Fliers seems useful for your team. 

29 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Now that I've actually got some Blessings, I'm tempted to use a few more of them, but I don't know if this recent flood of Blessings is a one-time thing or they're going to continue being a regular reward.

It seems like they'll be a semi-regular reward at the very least, especially since we've got that new mode coming up that requires blessed units.

20 minutes ago, Kaoxt said:

Who are you using for bonus unit normally? Rotating between Anna, Alfonse, etc.?

That's my Arena Assault team.

My Arena team core is

+10 Mystery Tiki [+Spd, -HP] (Lightning Breath+ [Def], Reposition, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 3, Fortify Dragons, Atk Smoke 3)
+10 Nowi [+Atk, -Res] (Lightning Breath+ [Def], Reposition, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 3, Fortify Dragons, Distant Def 3)
+10 Fae [+Atk, -Def] (Lightning Breath+ [Def], Reposition, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 3, Fortify Dragons, Atk Ploy 3)

My bonus unit is whoever I have merged the highest of the available choices.