Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm proud.

j4VZ4yX.png

Yeah you guys all are breaking 5000 and whatnot but I just got into the merging thing a while back so this is a new height for me. I've never gotten more than 492X in normal arena before so this is huge. I owe most of it to those high point dragon teams. It can get a little dicey but Chrom can slay them all. Can't wait till he gets Close DEF and a Breath skill.

I got 9 Defense Wins this week, so at least my Armor Emblem team is doing better than my horse team.  I think they overdid it a bit with the trenches.  It's an okay concept, but half the maps have half the tiles filled with trenches.

I'll be going back to Tier 20 tomorrow.  I hope the next Banner has another Blue in it.  A couple more merges for my Rachel, and I can swap her in for Ursula on my core team to make staying in Tier 20 easier.

Update time:

• Tier 20 score of 5148 (Nino +10 with Aether, Atk Ploy 3 Seal; Nowi +10 with Aether, DD3 Seal; Adult Tiki + 10 with Rally D/R, Aether, Hone Spd 3 Seal; Fjorm +1 with QR3 Seal) - #961 (/5637)
  • Arena Assault score of 5188 (Nino +10 with Rally D/R, Aether, Atk Ploy 3 Seal; Nowi +10 with Rally D/R, Aether, DD3 Seal; Adult Tiki + 10 with Rally D/R, Aether, Hone Spd 3 Seal; Draug with Rally D/R, Aether, QR3 Seal) - #1044

Really surprised the regular Arena one hasn't fallen out of top 1000 yet. Arena Assault falling out was completely expected. Even if there was no score change muddying things up, going into water season basically meant Draug had a very low chance of being able to point slave hard enough to get me in. To be frank, I'm surprised I fell out by so few ranks.

Well I'm pleasantly surprised. ^^ I had 5066 in both the Arena and AA. Surprisingly, with how much I struggled in the Arena, my first AA run gave me a deathless victory. lol I get to stay in Tier 20 for another week, and as an added bonus, my AA score was enough to let me creep into the top 3k! (Like...I think I was ranked around 2950. Wow!) I really wanted to stay in the top 3k for the extra ore. I ended up with around 8 defense wins. And a lot of the teams had a 5*+10 set as their lead! Very satisfying.

It looks like the scoring adjustments dropped Arena Assault scores significantly. It worried me for a bit when after I had buffed up my team, it wasn't outscoring my old team, but it turns out the adjustments really did hit that hard.

A score of 5,234 last week got me rank 444, and a score of 5,236 this week got me rank 181.

With the splurging I did on the Fallen Heroes banner, I've finally gotten my Arena Assault lead team updated to modern standards:

• +10 Mystery Tiki [+Spd, -HP] (Lightning Breath+ [Def], Rally Def/Res, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 3, Drive Def 2, Atk Smoke 3)
  • +10 Dark Hardin [+Atk, -Spd] (Gradivus, Rally Def/Res, Aether, Steady Breath, Bold Fighter 3, Drive Def 2, Quick Riposte 3)
  • +10 Myrrh [+Atk, -Spd] (Great Flame, Rally Def/Res, Aether, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Drive Def 2, Guidance 3)
  • +10 Grima [+Atk, -HP] (Expiration, Rally Def/Res, Aether, Steady Breath, Bold Fighter 3, Drive Def 2, Drive Def 2)

Behold a flying loli dragging two evil overlords along with a rope fucking cancer with a gazillion Def. Except I don't have a high-merge Zelgius, so it's not that bad.

4926 comfortably went up as expected with rank 7500-8000ish, first promotion in a while that I wasn't nervous about losing out on. 4860 for the usual 4+3 run in AA was rank 15000-odd, again fairly comfortably achieved my goal. I can take it easy this week, yay.

Season 57 Results:

Score: 5,016
Defense: 608 (New Record!)

VLrW2Zh.png

No changes from last week.

Dragon emblem was out in full force this week.  Not so much because of FH!Robin, but rather because of Nowi.  So many people have her built up, and for good reason.  She really demands a dedicated counter, and I only had so many for AA.  Dragons really neuter the effectiveness of physical range units, rendering FH!Takumi mostly useless for combat.  Next week I'll use a bonus unit more suited to handle the dragon threat.

Arena Assault:

syipIO9.png

Previous Season Results:

Spoiler

Season 12: 4,678 | 284 | 25,513
Season 13: 4,740 | 0 | 19,082
Season 14: 4,794 | 289 | 6,331
Season 15: 4,820 | 576 | 15 --> 17
Season 16: 4,788 | 568 | 17 --> 16
Season 17: 4,719 | 568 | 16 --> 17
Season 18: 4,776 | 0 | 17 --> 18
Season 19: 4,780 | 0 | 18 --> 17
Season 20: 4,796 | 578 | 17 --> 18
Season 21: 4,806 | 594 | 18 --> 19
Season 22: 4,792 | 560 | 19 --> 18
Season 23: 4,836 | 288 | 18 --> 19
Season 24: 4,828 | 288 | 19 --> 20
Season 25: 4,838 | 582 | 20 --> 19
Season 26: 4,822 | 578 | 19 --> 20
Season 27: 4,808 | 580 | 20 -->19
Season 28: 4,792 | 580 | 19 --> 18
Season 29: 4,830 | 582 | 18 --> 19
Season 30: 4,822 | 582 | 19 --> 20
Season 31: 4,806 | 584 | 20 --> 19
Season 32: 4,820 | 584 | 19 --> 20
Season 33: 4,812 | 582 | 20 --> 19
Season 34: 4,836 | 582 | 19 --> 20
Season 35: 4,822 | 582 | 20 --> 19
Season 36: 4,838 | 578 | 19 --> 20
Season 37: 4,788 | 580 | 20 --> 19
Season 38: 4,854 | 580 | 19 --> 20
Season 39: 4,830 | 582 | 20 --> 19
Season 40: 4,908 | 0 | 19 --> 20
Season 41: 4,920 | 580 | 20 --> 19
Season 42: 4,922 | 580 | 19 --> 20
Season 43: 4,914 | 582 | 20 --> 19
Season 44: 4,966 | 582 | 19 --> 20
Season 45: 5,006 | 600 | 20 --> 20
Season 46: 5,016 | 600 | 20 --> 20
Season 47: 4,976 | 596 | 20 --> 19
Season 48: 4,972 | 596 | 19 --> 20
Season 49: 4,988 | 600 | 20 --> 19
Season 50: 4,984 | 598 | 19 --> 20
Season 51: 5012 | 604 | 20 --> 19
Season 52: 4,990 | 598 | 19 --> 20
Season 53: 4,848 | 600 | 20 --> 19
Season 54: 4,994 | 602 | 19 --> 20
Season 55: 5,002 | 600 | 20 --> 19
Season 56: 5,050 | 606 | 19 --> 20

Back to tier 20, getting defense wins this week was kinda hard but that aside everything went as expected, I just need to keep working on my merges to stay in tier 20 one day.

Offense score of 5074 (T20) remains in T20, combining with a Defense score of 618 for max rewards.

Teams faced (streak):

Spoiler

5NnWQWs.png

Teams faced (other):

Spoiler

PXoRTsC.png

I definitely noticed the impact of the matchmaking adjustments. On one hand, the lower score is a little worrying, though I suspect that's not as much of a problem as it seems, since everyone else's has been lowered as well. On the other hand, more variety in enemy team comps is more fun. I also see Reinhardt more, which is always nice, since Julia lets me convert an enemy Reinhardt into two easy KOs. I'm optimistic that I'll be able to remain in T20 without a completely score-optimized team.

I was nervous about staying in T20, since I was only about 150-200 slots above the cutoff just a couple hours before the season closed. I did not succeed in raising my score, but I did succeed in wasting a ton of crests! Turns out, that last ditch effort wasn't needed, since I ended up staying with the score I had, which was 5,046. Nice! With the rewards from the VG, I'm hoping to get sufficient feathers to throw another merge on Est.

Hmm, while everybody else has his score dropped by 10, mine in AA dropped from 5022 to 5000 (that's even the better of two deathless runs). Which let me drop out of top 5k, not barely but by 500 ranks. Worst season in months. 

@Charmeleonbrah Nice team! Dazzling indeed. 

Edited by mampfoid

My rank was 9,555 in AA this week. First time I've stayed in the top 10k in months. At the very beginning I used to be in the top 5k. How times change. Score was 4924 which isn't great but we're getting there.

Normal Arena score was 4946 which was an easy entrance to T20 but with precisely 0 chance of staying next week. I'll be feeding more merges to Matthew when I get him and once he's +10 then we can work on building up one of my other likely arena staples. 

Edited by Zeo

Cisk2I8l.png

8F13VOfl.png

I like it when the voting gauntlet arena quests line up perfectly with the reset!  I had to redo it once and didn't even mind because I got the quests done at the same time. :]

Edited by Infinite Dreams

Even if did a new personal high with 4,996 in regular arena, it's slightly disappointing to not break 5k. It's enough to get into tier 20 once again, so I won't try again. 

Alm has been especially helpful in this run. Brave weapons don't care much about vengeful/breath combinations and sometimes Roy fails to one-round Ninos. 

Now AA ... 

Anyone else think that the Arena is too forced of a mode? Personally I don’t like it. I never do well there and it’s gotten to a point where I can’t even go past Tier 18 anymore. I try to do well, I get destroyed, I get stressed out and get nowhere. Every time I play in the Arena I think “why did I start doing this again?” Because for me its nothing but a vicious circle and I’d just rather leave it alone, but I can’t when certain things can only be gotten through there...

10 minutes ago, sdgj1994 said:

Anyone else think that the Arena is too forced of a mode? Personally I don’t like it. I never do well there and it’s gotten to a point where I can’t even go past Tier 18 anymore. I try to do well, I get destroyed, I get stressed out and get nowhere. Every time I play in the Arena I think “why did I start doing this again?” Because for me its nothing but a vicious circle and I’d just rather leave it alone, but I can’t when certain things can only be gotten through there...

I know that feeling well and it occurs to me when arena doesn't want to let me win (happens every 2nd or 3rd week). Somehow I'm meeting less Cavalry teams and less teams with ranged units + dancer. This is helping a lot and made the situation better for me personally. What I don't like is the fast inflation of scores, because I don't want to invest all my resources into merges. I'm curious what IS will do if everybody is running three 5*+10 plus bonus and only highest BST units can enter tier 20. 

Winning against über-armor and dragon teams is pretty fun, but I hope they won't get stronger with the next iteration of powercreep, since winning is becoming a very close thing. For example I met a mono-blue armor emblem today and my Cherche couldn't kill Hardin as fast as usual. Even without his buffs (required baiting), she needed 3 rounds to kill him.

50 minutes ago, sdgj1994 said:

Anyone else think that the Arena is too forced of a mode? Personally I don’t like it.

This is arena assault for me. I absolutely despise the mode for how stressful, tedious, drawn-out, and generally unfun it is, I still have to do it at least once every week (or even more if I dare let my units die) because it gives feathers, coins, and rocks, and without feathers, coins, and rocks I can’t make my guys and gals stronger.

42 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

I know that feeling well and it occurs to me when arena doesn't want to let me win (happens every 2nd or 3rd week). Somehow I'm meeting less Cavalry teams and less teams with ranged units + dancer. This is helping a lot and made the situation better for me personally. What I don't like is the fast inflation of scores, because I don't want to invest all my resources into merges. I'm curious what IS will do if everybody is running three 5*+10 plus bonus and only highest BST units can enter tier 20. 

Winning against über-armor and dragon teams is pretty fun, but I hope they won't get stronger with the next iteration of powercreep, since winning is becoming a very close thing. For example I met a mono-blue armor emblem today and my Cherche couldn't kill Hardin as fast as usual. Even without his buffs (required baiting), she needed 3 rounds to kill him.

Let me tell you what I was trying to do today. I had a team set up with Hector, Vanguard Ike, Nowi and Reinhardt. Nowi and Reinhardt both have Earth Blessings. VL!Ike had his default Def Tactic so Hector and Nowi would become top-notch physical tanks. With the Earth Blessing’s boost Reinhardt would be pretty damn strong even though he’s not in horse emblem. I would have given Hector the Armoured Boots seal but as he is +HP I wanted to make use of the Panic Ploy 3 seal instead. Nowi had an anti-sword build + QR 3 seal but maybe I should change that as it makes her really weak to greens which are becoming more common.

Now, I thought my setup looked pretty strong. But no, I go up against the very things that counter me. First team I faced had a Myrrh on it. I also remember facing a Miciah. And coupled with the abundance of trenches and defence tiles... annoying as hell to face. I couldn't get a single win. And by that I mean I surrendered the moment one of my units died because Arena is strict like that. Not going back in, I’ve had enough drama for one day.

1 hour ago, sdgj1994 said:

Regular arena is generally tolerable, but I loathe AA. The ability to do it in small sessions over a number of days helps quite a bit with the pressure, plus for those who bounce between tiers, you only have to really put in meaningful effort once per fortnight. There's also the frustrating inability to field duplicate units in AA, which penalises people who have had the bad luck to say, pull two Ninians instead of one Ninian and one Azura, or two Hectors instead of a a Hector and a Vector. It's not like it gets cheaper to build two of the same character instead of two distinct ones. And of course there's the absolute tedium of having to manually select 28 different units from a menu over the course of a single AA session. It feels like inventory management in a game, just an absolutely unfun chore - and one that also applies to Squad Assault which is thankfully not a regular thing.

I'd really like it if they added the ability to split an AA session over multiple days, but I suspect the reason it can't happen is that IS don't want to have to store the data of what units have been used per session. Which to me seems to be a bit of a case of the cart pulling the horse.

Oh right, there's also the problem with inflexible reward brackets for AA. No matter how many players are active, the brackets are of fixed size - top 5000, top 10000, whatever, it's the same if FEH has a thousand active players or a million. Just like how the same mechanic in VG incentivises feather mercenaries to join small teams, it's absurd to have fixed tier sizes with a variable pool of players. And yet this reward system is how they distribute the rarest resources in the game.

Did AA with 5002 (still 20 points less than two weeks ago), I'll be far away from the top 5k treshold also this week ... 

The last fight has been satisfying: Elincia could quad Seliph, proc Galeforce and kill Nino in 1 turn. 

4 minutes ago, sdgj1994 said:

Let me tell you what I was trying to do today. I had a team set up with Hector, Vanguard Ike, Nowi and Reinhardt. Nowi and Reinhardt both have Earth Blessings. VL!Ike had his default Def Tactic so Hector and Nowi would become top-notch physical tanks. With the Earth Blessing’s boost Reinhardt would be pretty damn strong even though he’s not in horse emblem. I would have given Hector the Armoured Boots seal but as he is +HP I wanted to make use of the Panic Ploy 3 seal instead. Nowi had an anti-sword build + QR 3 seal but maybe I should change that as it makes her really weak to greens which are becoming more common.

Now, I thought my setup looked pretty strong. But no, I go up against the very things that counter me. First team I faced had a Myrrh on it. I also remember facing a Miciah. And coupled with the abundance of trenches and defence tiles... annoying as hell to face. I couldn't get a single win. And by that I mean I surrendered the moment one of my units died because Arena is strict like that. Not going back in, I’ve had enough drama for one day.

You have a pretty strong team there. I guess Reinhardt, Hector and VL!Ike are your core team? 

On first glance Micaiah seems to be your nemesis, but vanilla neutral +0 VL!Ike (with QR or QR seal) can tank and counter kill vanilla neutral +10 Micaiah (not +ATK +10 Micaiah though). Myrrh is another thing, Ike would need 2 rounds to kill her, but can't tank her at low health. 

I can see what's causing you trouble. While things changed in my favor (playstyle-wise) because I see less Reinhardts, things became worse for you because Reinhardt kills less things than before and is hindered by trenches. Do you have many merges on him?