Constitution = How much you lift?

Ryuke

@Slumber ,,, What @Jotari said ... pretty much applied.

Vaida is clearly lifting as heavy as Glen... Or so they say. And lifts heavier than Joshua (then again .. he fools around alot of time).

Also goddamn Merlinus can lift anything. (Unless of course he uses a lift)

Edited by Ryuke

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2017 at 10:58 AM, Heptade said:

And can someone explain how Gleipnir, a book, is the heaviest wepon in FE8?

It weighs the same as a ballista. A ballista.

It's time to bring that number down.

4 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

It's time to bring that number down.

Indeed.

By the way, my Knoll just doubled with Gleipnir. First time I've ever seen that. Granted, it was Lyon with his Naglfar and his negative AS, but still, Gleipnir doubled. (These two should have had a special conversation... )

Edited by Heptade

3 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

Congratulation.

Hard to see someone using Knoll since he comes so late ... in a low level.

Well, he'll need some babying for one or two chapters. But I really like the guy, so it doesn't bother me at all. He catches up quicker than one would expect. He's pretty great as a Summoner, if he's used the right way.

On 2/24/2017 at 7:58 AM, Heptade said:

And can someone explain how Gleipnir, a book, is the heaviest wepon in FE8?

It weighs the same as a ballista. A ballista.

I always see tome weight as how "difficult" or "heavy" the magic within the tome is to use and feels to the user, or the toll it takes on the user's stamina to cast, which limits their reflexes and ability to dodge. Just my headcanon, though.

1 minute ago, Extrasolar said:

I always see tome weight as how "difficult" or "heavy" the magic within the tome is to use and feels to the user, or the toll it takes on the user's stamina to cast, which limits their reflexes and ability to dodge. Just my headcanon, though.

It is indeed much more realistic than the actual canon, but then, where does constitution come into play? :KnollRoll:

13 minutes ago, Heptade said:

It is indeed much more realistic than the actual canon, but then, where does constitution come into play? :KnollRoll:

I've always seen con as a mix of stamina and strength. High con characters are well-built walls that could run miles unfazed, and such, low con characters are adorable, squishy twigs that tire out very easily. Like, if Tellius had con, Rhys and Soren would be like a 4, while beefy Mordecai would be like a 12 (laguz in general would have higher con than beorc, at least in their transformed state). Tormod, raised by a laguz and with more stamina than average (he's got Celerity) would be roughly 6, on the other hand. So Tormod would be able to handle the stress of the higher weight tomes more than Soren can (and Soren's strength growth for higher tomes, which I see as roughly equivalent in POR, is pretty awful, haha).

Edited by Extrasolar

• 2 weeks later...

Lol even through the discussion, I only have a vague idea of what "con" does in fire emblem.

I know it's somewhat tied to how well you can use heavier weapons, but that's pretty much it. Does anyone have an actual description of what CON does?

3 hours ago, b0bhat said:

Lol even through the discussion, I only have a vague idea of what "con" does in fire emblem.

I know it's somewhat tied to how well you can use heavier weapons, but that's pretty much it. Does anyone have an actual description of what CON does?

It's pretty simple. Weapons have weight which reduces speed and con mitigates that factor. Or in formula terms Attack Speed = Speed - (Weight - Con) So if you have an Iron Blade with a weight of 6 and your unit has a con of 1, their speed will be reduced by 5 whenever they attack with it. However if your have a con of 6 or above the weight of the weapon won't slow you at all. Con is also used to determine what units can rescue other units and in the Tellius games, what units can shove other units.

Edited by Jotari

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

It's pretty simple. Weapons have weight which reduces speed and con mitigates that factor. Or in formula terms Attack Speed = Speed - (Weight - Con) So if you have an Iron Blade with a weight of 6 and your unit has a con of 1, their speed will be reduced by 5 whenever they attack with it. However if your have a con of 6 or above the weight of the weapon won't slow you at all. Con is also used to determine what units can rescue other units and in the Tellius games, what units can shove other units.

Ohhhhhhhhh... Thanks!

I never knew that, that's a pretty cool game feature.

Con's just body size, which the game generally correlates with the size of weapons you can wield without penalty.

Not sure why some people seem to have a problem with Vaida. Promoted adult males in FE7 range from 7 Con (Lucius) to 16 (Hawkeye/Dorcas/Oswin). Vaida's 12 clocks just above the midpoint there. It's hardly unreasonable to have one woman warrior who is bigger than an average adult man (and she's literally the only one in all the GBA games, though Meredy or however we spell her name these days is close at 10). If anything the adult women are definitely too small on average due to trending towards the Japanese ideal of women being petite.

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Con's just body size, which the game generally correlates with the size of weapons you can wield without penalty.

Not sure why some people seem to have a problem with Vaida. Promoted adult males in FE7 range from 7 Con (Lucius) to 16 (Hawkeye/Dorcas/Oswin). Vaida's 12 clocks just above the midpoint there. It's hardly unreasonable to have one woman warrior who is bigger than an average adult man (and she's literally the only one in all the GBA games, though Meredy or however we spell her name these days is close at 10). If anything the adult women are definitely too small on average due to trending towards the Japanese ideal of women being petite.

Gheb has 16 Con... Is Oswin as fat as Gheb?

Anyway, I think your explanation makes a lot of sense.

Edited by Heptade

8 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I think the main thing people are confused about with Vaida (and Meledy would be another contender for it) is whether the wyvern is taken into account for the unit's con. Which now that I think about it definitely is the case for Thracia where dismounting is a thing and you can compare. But those games typically have 20+ con for mounted units in general (I think).

Edited by Jotari

In the GBA games, the mount is obviously not taken account in the user's Con unless you want to argue that Florina + pegasus weigh less than Guy or Lyn, or that Heath + wyvern is lighter than Harken. It does lead to very silly situations where Guy can apparently carry both Florina and her pegasus, but so it that's the fault of trying to have only one stat to reflect this. Tellius fixed this by having both Con and Weight, with the latter including the mount and armour (e.g. in FE9, Gatrie/Brom had 4 more weight than the had Con, while Oscar/Titania/etc. had 23 more). Of course, since neither stat affected attack speed any more, they are only rarely paid any attention by most players (but do matter for some shoving strategies).

EDIT: Regarding Vaida and Meredy, they're just above average sized women. Many of the female wyvern riders seem to be, though; Minerva kinda looks it, Camilla definitely does, etc. Probably has something to do with wyverns being rather large mounts; smaller riders would likely favour the pegasus in-universe, which judging from appearance is swifter but not able to carry as much.

Edited by Dark Holy Elf

If the mounts were included in GBA!Con, the Pegasus Knights wouldn't be that light.

P.S. Vigarde is a closet fatty.

EDIT: I've been thinking about it, and while the mounts, obviously, are not included, the Generals' armors might actually be.

Edited by Heptade

• 2 months later...
On 3/23/2017 at 11:37 AM, Heptade said:

If the mounts were included in GBA!Con, the Pegasus Knights wouldn't be that light.

P.S. Vigarde is a closet fatty.

EDIT: I've been thinking about it, and while the mounts, obviously, are not included, the Generals' armors might actually be.

This must be the case, because how else do you explain Murdoch's 20 con? Or the fact that Hector gained 5 con between fe7 and 6

4 hours ago, Randombobman said:

This must be the case, because how else do you explain Murdoch's 20 con? Or the fact that Hector gained 5 con between fe7 and 6

Have you seen Hector though? In FE6 he looks like someone who spent the years lifting axes and drinking beer!

Edited by MadJak91

1 hour ago, MadJak91 said:

Have you seen Hector though? In FE6 he looks like someone who spent the years lifting axes and drinking beer!

I'm a lumberjack and that's okay!

It's certainly possible. Based on the scale the humans run it looks like 1 point of Con is probably around 5 kg/10 pounds so you'd expect the heaviest armour to add up to 4 points, and I could see the armour knight Con stats making sense that way (it'd make base Oswin 10 and base Wendy 6, for instance). Although, armour making it easier to lift heavy weapons is very silly, but you could write that off as a gameplay convenience.

3 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

It's certainly possible. Based on the scale the humans run it looks like 1 point of Con is probably around 5 kg/10 pounds so you'd expect the heaviest armour to add up to 4 points, and I could see the armour knight Con stats making sense that way (it'd make base Oswin 10 and base Wendy 6, for instance). Although, armour making it easier to lift heavy weapons is very silly, but you could write that off as a gameplay convenience.

You could consider it by the logic that the characters are accustomed to lugging so much weight around so their muscle mass is better suited to using heavy weapons without getting tired.

Edited by Jotari