Glade, the least popular Fire Emblem character

Jotari

You would expect characters with no development like Gareth would be last. It must suck to be Glade, your best friend and wife are more popular than you. I guess it's official, Glade is the Marty Jannetty of Fire Emblem.

4 hours ago, qwernst said:

You would expect characters with no development like Gareth would be last. It must suck to be Glade, your best friend and wife are more popular than you. I guess it's official, Glade is the Marty Jannetty of Fire Emblem.

I guess, but to be fair, Gareth's games at least got a US release, so there's a chance your average voter would know who he is. No such luck for the likes of Glade, who's in a game that only dedicated FE fans would've played, especially if the bottom ranks of that list swelling with Jugdral and other Japan-only game characters are any indication.

To those wondering why Ralph was able to get a higher place than Glade: guys, you clearly don't understand how powerful memes are. I know, it's sounds ironic, but Ralph is one of these characters that has become a meme and this kind of bought him some popularity.

Regarding Glade, I actually knew about him: I mean, he wasn't the greatest character in thracia, but he and his generics are pretty useful in the chapter he joins. Also, everytime I replay the game, It always makes me smile how Glade says that Prince Shanan prefers to go out with women instead of helping he and other soldiers in protecting Tahra, when this "prince Shanan" was actually Shanam.

10 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Look, the reason for this is obvious.

Glade's married to Selfina, who is obviously the best waifu in that game. Jealousy. That's gotta be it. Right?

Lies. Everybody knows that Sara is the best waifu in Thracia 776 ;)

4 hours ago, The Malign Knight said:

To those wondering why Ralph was able to get a higher place than Glade: guys, you clearly don't understand how powerful memes are. I know, it's sounds ironic, but Ralph is one of these characters that has become a meme and this kind of bought him some popularity.

Regarding Glade, I actually knew about him: I mean, he wasn't the greatest character in thracia, but he and his generics are pretty useful in the chapter he joins. Also, everytime I replay the game, It always makes me smile how Glade says that Prince Shanan prefers to go out with women instead of helping he and other soldiers in protecting Tahra, when this "prince Shanan" was actually Shanam.

Lies. Everybody knows that Sara is the best waifu in Thracia 776 ;)

The thing about Ralph is that he's so unnoteworthy to the point of noteworthiness. And haha. I don't recall that Shanam reference. Shana's a great character. Especially in the much more serious world of Jugdral (why would he disguises himself as a wanted rebel!?). I'd love if they did something like that. He's the one joke character I can think of in the series that really nailed it.

15 hours ago, Magilou said:

As for me there exist less memorable characters in FE than Glade.

He fulfills an important role in one chapter at least, the chapter he joins.

Some other characters from FE5 like Trewd or Ralph are less memorable than him because they never play a role. (haven't even recruited Trewd in my FE5 runs yet because he's so meaningless)

Troude's actually a pretty good unit. Not amazing, but he joins at a time where slapping Crusader Scrolls on him and getting a few perfect level ups is fairly easy and will make him a very solid unit. Even without the Scrolls, he's basically just a tankier Shiva. That said, yeah, if you haven't trained up Shiva or, for whatever reason, don't want to use Mareeta, he'll find a spot on your team nicely.

And Ralf is actually a reasonable substitute for Machyua, Orsin and Halvan. Of course, you should be using at least one of those three, since they're all very good units, but Ralph joins with good bases, solid growths, and can immediately use any unlocked axe/sword upon joining. He's a very good unit who is pretty much immediately going to show his worth.

Really, given the Fatigue system, both Ralf and Troude can be used reasonably as substitutes for your main team.

Glade has arguably even less of a place, since mounted units will rarely ever fill out their Fatigue gauge if you play like a smart guy and bench any non-Free Knights on indoor maps. You'd be using Glade as a replacement for Finn, who really shouldn't be in any situation where he should be replaced.

Edited by Slumber

20 hours ago, Jotari said:

The thing about Ralph is that he's so unnoteworthy to the point of noteworthiness. And haha. I don't recall that Shanam reference. Shana's a great character. Especially in the much more serious world of Jugdral (why would he disguises himself as a wanted rebel!?). I'd love if they did something like that. He's the one joke character I can think of in the series that really nailed it.

I'm not surprise that you don't remember it, but here It is:

Glade:
“Hm… What about Prince Shanan? If he is a direct descendant of the Sword Saint Ordo, he must have power far greater than ours. Why does he refuse to help?”

Dean:
“Oh…him. He apparently has no interest in battles in lower places.”

Glade:
“Hmph, and he spends his time playing with the women, eh?
…We have no choice. We will have to fight on our own.”

As you can see, It's so serious, but It always makes me smile, for some reason.

18 hours ago, Slumber said:

Troude's actually a pretty good unit. Not amazing, but he joins at a time where slapping Crusader Scrolls on him and getting a few perfect level ups is fairly easy and will make him a very solid unit. Even without the Scrolls, he's basically just a tankier Shiva. That said, yeah, if you haven't trained up Shiva or, for whatever reason, don't want to use Mareeta, he'll find a spot on your team nicely.

And Ralf is actually a reasonable substitute for Machyua, Orsin and Halvan. Of course, you should be using at least one of those three, since they're all very good units, but Ralph joins with good bases, solid growths, and can immediately use any unlocked axe/sword upon joining. He's a very good unit who is pretty much immediately going to show his worth.

Really, given the Fatigue system, both Ralf and Troude can be used reasonably as substitutes for your main team.

Glade has arguably even less of a place, since mounted units will rarely ever fill out their Fatigue gauge if you play like a smart guy and bench any non-Free Knights on indoor maps. You'd be using Glade as a replacement for Finn, who really shouldn't be in any situation where he should be replaced.

I agree. Ralf and Troude, while not as good as Orsin or Mareeta, can still be useful when your most powerful units cannot be deployed because of the fatigue. Plus Troude also has Nihil, tough It's not that useful, albeit there are moments where It has Its use, I would say

1 hour ago, The Malign Knight said:

I'm not surprise that you don't remember it, but here It is:

Hide contents

Glade:
“Hm… What about Prince Shanan? If he is a direct descendant of the Sword Saint Ordo, he must have power far greater than ours. Why does he refuse to help?”

Dean:
“Oh…him. He apparently has no interest in battles in lower places.”

Glade:
“Hmph, and he spends his time playing with the women, eh?
…We have no choice. We will have to fight on our own.”

As you can see, It's so serious, but It always makes me smile, for some reason.

I agree. Ralf and Troude, while not as good as Orsin or Mareeta, can still be useful when your most powerful units cannot be deployed because of the fatigue. Plus Troude also has Nihil, tough It's not that useful, albeit there are moments where It has Its use, I would say

Ah I see. It's kind of a call back joke since you only see Shanam for the first time in the proceeding chapter (which absolutely confirms that its him Glade is talking about since he's hanging around in Tahra at the time) so reading that text for the first line the player would immediately assume he's talking about the real Shanan.

1 hour ago, fangpoint333 said:

I can't help but feel like a lot of the votes that went to characters less noteworthy than Glade were pity/joke votes. I liked him fine during my runs in 776 but he does get outshined by Finn who does the whole loyal knight gimmick better.

Arden was the second highest rated Jugdral character after Sigurd, so this goes without saying.

Just now, Jotari said:

Third highest. Arya was second.

Ah, I must've missed that. Regardless. Leif, Nanna, Seliph, Finn, Lewyn, Brigid/Evayle... all fell to the mighty meme that is Arden.

5 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Ah, I must've missed that. Regardless. Leif, Nanna, Seliph, Finn, Lewyn, Brigid/Evayle... all fell to the mighty meme that is Arden.

Am I the only one who thinks that his votes are almost completely ironic? Like, I wouldn't be surprised if he's become a meme in Japan just based on how far behind he gets left in the dust in Horse Emblem: Genealogy of the Gigantic Maps.

• 8 months later...