how to get better at Fire Emblem...

I've played both routes on this game on difficult mode and it's not as easy as people say it is, especially chapters 17 and 19 :( The rest of the chapters are ok though. I guess I just feel bad that I have trouble when people say the game is so easy. My main problems with those two chapters are that there are way too many enemies and I get overwhelmed. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for when I ask for advice but I just want to not be bad. I still haven't beaten FE7 HHM. It's so hard :P

What are your main units? Do you keep going through the game even if one of your units dies?

Whenever I play maps with lots of enemies, if one of my units are in range, I check what weapon the enemy or enemies are wielding and if they have a weapon triangle disadvantage against my unit, I put them just in attacking range. That way I can know where to put my units without worrying about their survival. Supports work as well, especially if your team has to split up. 

SS tries to make itself difficult by adding a crap ton of enemies at the endgame. Birthright does the same thing to.

When it comes to dealing with maps with a lot of enemies, your strategy will have to revolve around how you place your units.  You need to place your units so that they aren't taking on too many enemies at once.

I usually use the twins, Seth, the pegasus knights (except Syrene) and some other ones I don't remember. :P I beat the game again last week and might try it again some other time. My cavaliers haven't turned out well at all! Franz keeps getting bad levels. I reset when someone dies but one time I was so upset about dying to a berserker crit (when I had WTA) on the desert chapter at the VERY END of the chapter that I just kept going because I didn't want to do it again. 

How do I know what the AI will target if there are multiple units in range?

7 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

I usually use the twins, Seth, the pegasus knights (except Syrene) and some other ones I don't remember. :P I beat the game again last week and might try it again some other time. My cavaliers haven't turned out well at all! Franz keeps getting bad levels. I reset when someone dies but one time I was so upset about dying to a berserker crit (when I had WTA) on the desert chapter at the VERY END of the chapter that I just kept going because I didn't want to do it again. 

How do I know what the AI will target if there are multiple units in range?

Sacred Stones allows infinite grinding. If you can't beat the enemy with your current levels, earn some more. Use Joshua, Gerik, Cormag, Tana, and Lute. Avoid Moulder and Syrene. Don't waste supports on units you don't use. 

The AI prioritizes attacking those who can't counterattack, those who are weakest, and those who will take the most damage. You can disarm a tough unit like Seth or Duessel and have them draw out enemies for your other units to attack. The AI doesn't care much about AVO, so put a low DEF/high SPD character like your peg knights or myrmidons in their range and they'll all come after you.

It's just about having a decent understand of how the game works. People who say it's easy are people who've at least played it once, veterans or n00bs who spam Seth (keyword spam). Start with knowing enemy range (you'll start getting an idea of it, eventually), basic calculations (how attack factors, like Atk - Enemy Def, efffective Mt which is x3 Atk not Damage) and know who has 2-range. And rather than train pretty much everyone, try to focus on a solid team of 8 (and/or) less people.

Knowledge of the game makes it incredibly easy. On a 1st playthrough it's going to be much more difficult.

As long as you know who to use from the beginning and what kind of a role they will be playing for your team; by the time you get to the end of the game you can breeze through it. For instance, Both Chapters 17 and 19 can be easily completed in 1 turn with use of the warp staff. Most people don't even get the warp staff, let alone use it on a 1st playthrough.