Jump to content
Murrdogg93

Which Path would you prefer as Canon & Why?

Canon Path  

77 members have voted

  1. 1. Which path would you want for the true canon path?

    • Conquest
      18
    • Birthright
      27
    • Revelation
      32


Recommended Posts

It's hard to say.

Obviously IS wants to push Rev as canon, even though Rev has the stupidest plot in the entire series and ruined Fates for me.

IMO, both Conquest and Birthright are canon, just in different universes, so one universe will remember how Nohr conquered Hoshido while another will remember how Hoshido defeated Nohr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly with all three paths being pretty bad I'm not sure if I want any of them to be canon. Hell the japanese title was Fire Embloem If, referring to the "what if" scenarios each story has, so in that regard you could argue that none of them are canon. With that said however I would imagine IS pushing Revelations hard as the canon story, despite being the worst written of the three.

 

If I was forced to choose between the three I'd go with Birthright as that one was the least worst of the three in writing quality.

Edited by Naturesshadow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Birthright. Technically Revelations is the golden path where everything is puppies and roses unless your name is Scarlet or Izana, but the story is dumb so I'd prefer the next best ending. In Birthright, Hoshido is saved and the bad Nohrian leadership is purged (and Ryoma promised to send food to Nohr so that may prevent future conflicts).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Birthright, because it's able to stand on its own more so than the other two. Yes, it's also very standard FE but that's why I prefer it to be the "canon" route. Conquest borrows far too much from the third route, and in a way it spits on the previous FE games when it says Corrin can do all the things they did on that path and still be a beloved hero -- even by the people whose lives they had ruined.

Revelation is supposed to be the "golden" route and the best ending, though it feels undeserved and cheap. Once Corrin gets both sides together, it feels as if the two sides get along a little too well, and Valla was a mistake. I think ideally, Fates should've been a more fleshed out Birthright with no children, no other paths, and some of the Nohrians being recruitable.

Edited by Sunwoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoho, allow me to tell you about parallel universes.  Also, inb4 it's turned into a stealthy "which path is best written" topic.

I think sensibly, I'd prefer Birthright.  With the necessary adjustments - give us world building, more characterization, and a few interesting twists - it could be a FE story on par with lots of other FE stories.  And yeah, it'd be nice if we could get more Nohrians to help flesh out the world and bring some non-Hoshidan blood aboard.  I mean more than just Mr. "Most Obsessive Best Friend" and your loyal servants.  And give me a way to save Flora; that death was hot n' spicy may-may-ness, yeah, but it was also really stupid.

But I digress.  People have already stated reasons CQ and Revelation can't be/shouldn't be canon.  They're poorly written, they can't stand on their own, and one of them ruins the whole point of the rest of Fates.  BR isn't as poor in writing quality, and it doesn't commit the latter sins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None. I couldn't justify a choice because no path plays out even closely to the way I'd prefer it. 

It's obvious Revelation is meant to be canon, however, as it reveals pretty much everything worth knowing and it ends with sunshine and happiness all around, not to mention Corrin gets their own little kingdom to run out of the blue. The other two paths are bad ends because the world is doomed.

Edited by Thane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like it should have been Revelations but as people are saying, shitty writing etc.

Due to reading what other people said and having no opinion of my own I voted Birthright lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Revelations is obviously supposed to be canon, but to me, Birthright felt the most natural. Like, these events could actually be happening without massive leaps in logic. Of course, the events of Birthright really only work if you ignore the things learned in the other two paths, and don't question why Azura didn't tell you about any of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah revelations should be canon and it has the most satisfying ending with both kingdoms coming together, but then it's really bad and lazily written.  birthright has the most coherent plot, but a lot of forced shock value deaths are in it for the sole purpose of trying to make the story not canon.  and less said about conquest's story the better. 

i think fanfiction would be better than any of these

Edited by Radiant head

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't feel that any of them are canon. As many have stated, Revelation's shoddy writing and nonsensical plot post arrival in Valla make it very difficult to take it seriously. Birthright may at least be semi-consistent, but what little consistency it had goes flying out the window once you play the other routes where Azura actually feels like pointing out the primary threat. As for Conquest... the less said about it the better, what with how the game continually beats you over the head saying that you chose the wrong path.

I honestly can't even bring myself to vote for any of them. OP, you should add a 4th option: None. If nothing else, it would be interesting to see how many pick it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had to pick between the three, Birthright. Even with the Valla stuff, which is honestly barely even relevant to Birthright, it's the most complete of the three stories and the closest to objectively (in terms of writing technique and how well it's utilized) well-written that any of the three get.

I'd second warchiefwilliams' suggestion that there needs to be a "None" option, because that's the one I would actually pick if I could.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having given this topic some more thought, I think I'd say it depends on the Corrin in question... I would actually agree with the boxart's depiction of f!Corrin siding with Nohr and m!Corrin siding with Hoshido as canon, given the psychological tendencies of each gender-- I don't recall the details, but some study said something about how males are more inclined to justice and judgment and females are more inclined toward empathy and understanding, and IMO this makes sense for the two path choices (not saying that this is the case for all individuals of each gender, ofc not at all, it's just a statistically validated trend from what I understand is all).

So m!Corrin chooses Hoshido because it makes sense to him to stay with the family you SHOULD have been with at birth, and he wants Garon to answer for his crimes; f!Corrin meanwhile would side with Nohr because she assesses that the emotional impact of losing her would be greater for both herself and her Nohr siblings if she were to go with Hoshido, and further reasons that she might be able to mitigate losses in the other side by being involved herself (which I guess would be like the logic behind the Death Star plans from Rogue One if anyone saw that movie...?? I'll put the details in spoilers below in case anyone wants to know/doesn't care about spoilers).

Spoiler

Basically Rogue One's MC's father was asked by the empire to work on the Death Star plans, and though he didn't like what he empire was doing, he agreed and designed it with the weakness seen in A New Hope, with the rationale being that if he refused, it was an inevitability that someone else would do it, and if someone else did it then the rebels would have no hope of stopping it.

And I think that logic works pretty good for Corrin's rationale to join Nohr, even if other plot details are... well.. y'know

'Course, it'd be less of a discredit to Corrin's character in Conquest if Garon was written less blatantly evil and hadn't clearly tried to get them assassinated as far as they're concerned, but what can you do. None of them are perfect.

Edited by BANRYU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Banryu, while I get what you're saying, how would a female Corrin who is supposedly more "empathetic" fail to assess the emotional impact that her joining Nohr would have on her Hoshidan siblings who have just lost their queen and mother because of her?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sunwoo you want to '@' me if you want me to see that.

So, see, your response is a perfect example of the male logic/reaction thing I was talking about lol. And see, if it were me, I would totally agree? But what you may not be considering is what that's being weighed against-- we don't know Corrin's exact age either in-game or at the time when Garon kidnapped them, but I'd say that... maybe 10 years spent in Nohr is probably a safe guess? Given that they scarcely remember their own mother it's probably safe to say that it could have been even longer than that. You're weighing however long that X amount of years' worth of bonding and growing up with the Nohrian siblings-- who, aside from Corrin's serving staff and Gunter, are all they have, mind you-- VS the few weeks (or however long it was? IDR) with the Hoshidan ones... I'm not saying it's an easy decision to make, but presumably your Nohrian siblings are gonna have a longer, more difficult time getting past losing Corrin than the quick Band-Aid rip of the HoshiSibs losing them (though I admit that's a drastic understatement, they have less to get over as far as Corrin is concerned and more to do with Mikoto... The HoshiSibs should have an easier time viewing Corrin as an enemy than the NohrSibs would). Granted, the logic falls apart a bit given the circumstances of the Ganglari and the rest of the writing surrounding Conquest and Garon, but...

tl;dr yes I think someone who values empathy above justice/judgment would make that decision, yeah.

Edited by BANRYU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BANRYU I'm still not really sure how these notification thingies work, but I guess that's a feature now.

4 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

So, see, your response is a perfect example of the male logic/reaction thing I was talking about lol.

Not completely sure what this is referring to, but I ain't a dude despite what the profile says, lol

4 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

But what you may not be considering is what that's being weighed against-- we don't know Corrin's exact age either in-game or at the time when Garon kidnapped them, but I'd say that... maybe 10 years spent in Nohr is probably a safe guess? Given that they scarcely remember their own mother it's probably safe to say that it could have been even longer than that. You're weighing however long that X amount of years' worth of bonding and growing up with the Nohrian siblings-- who, aside from Corrin's serving staff and Gunter, are all they have, mind you-- VS the few weeks (or however long it was? IDR) with the Hoshidan ones... I'm not saying it's an easy decision to make, but presumably your Nohrian siblings are gonna have a longer, more difficult time getting past losing Corrin than the quick Band-Aid rip of the HoshiSibs losing them (though I admit that's a drastic understatement, they have less to get over as far as Corrin is concerned and more to do with Mikoto... The HoshiSibs should have an easier time viewing Corrin as an enemy than the NohrSibs would). Granted, the logic falls apart a bit given the circumstances of the Ganglari and the rest of the writing surrounding Conquest and Garon, but...

tl;dr yes I think someone who places empathy above justice/judgment would make that decision, yeah.

Hmm, I think I get what you're saying, but it sounds an awful more like selfishness than empathy, or at the very least making a mess of someone else's house and not bothering to help clean it up. Awful analogy, but I can't think of any other way to put it.

Edited by Sunwoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because of the Outrealms and the Heirs of Fate's DLC, I could see all 3 canon in their own universes but the one I want as a true path, is Birthright.

Of course, Revelation would make the most sense since it is supposed to be the "golden ending" but it is poorly written and the story doesn't make sense just like in Conquest.

In my opinion, in Birthright Corrin's actions make sense and the story is a bit similar to some previous FE's stories.
Compared to Conquest and Revelation, it has less plotholes and references to Anankos/Valla which make the story a bit better than the other 2 as well and Birthright stands more as its own.

Edited by Thunderstar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BANRYU said:

tl;dr yes I think someone who values empathy above justice/judgment would make that decision, yeah.

The situation isn't as simple as "choosing the people closest to you or justice". The character would have to factor everything into it, how they feel about the Nohrian siblings, how the feel about the Hoshidan siblings, how they feel about Nohr's crimes, how they feel about Hoshido's plight, how they feel about leaving their home behind and how they feel about the several murder attempts already made on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything but Revelations I guess.

I prefer to think Conquest/Birthright are both "canon" in some parallel universes. "What if I chose this?" instead.

You know kind of like what the game was about at first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think it would make more sense for male corrin to choose birthright, and female corrin to choose revelations, because as shit as the revelations story is, no protagonist with any credibility or worth would choose the conquest path

though you could maybe have an amoral asshole corrin who drops the sanctimonious pretext for conquest, that would be kind of neat

Edited by Radiant head

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

@BANRYU I'm still not really sure how these notification thingies work, but I guess that's a feature now.

Not completely sure what this is referring to, but I ain't a dude despite what the profile says, lol

Hmm, I think I get what you're saying, but it sounds an awful more like selfishness than empathy, or at the very least making a mess of someone else's house and not bothering to help clean it up. Awful analogy, but I can't think of any other way to put it.

oops sorry I did take that for what it was .3. my bad

I suppose you could look at it that way? Though to be fair, going with that analogy, you're also looking at someone who was brought to someone else's house more or less against their will (however happy they were to stay once there) and the mess was through something that can scarcely be blamed on them for (I mean... unless there was some way Corrin could have known their sword was a frickin' demon-bomb....??). I can understand how it would seem like fleeing responsibility, but clearly that's not the way Corrin looks at it.

In any case, we can agree to disagree, that's just my interpretation haha ;; I'm not saying it's necessarily the best/right decision, but I do like the implied (though I'm not sure how intentional it was) thematics of light representing harsh justice and darkness representing complex emotion just in general, going beyond their stereotypical representations as simply good and evil, and given how Corrin's written in both routes (however badly lol), it sort of seems like that may have been what they were going for. The execution may not be great, but I like the concept.

6 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

The situation isn't as simple as "choosing the people closest to you or justice". The character would have to factor everything into it, how they feel about the Nohrian siblings, how the feel about the Hoshidan siblings, how they feel about Nohr's crimes, how they feel about Hoshido's plight, how they feel about leaving their home behind and how they feel about the several murder attempts already made on them.

Oh, undoubtedly. It's a very complex issue and decision with plenty more elements than just what I discussed, those were just the points of reasoning that stood out to me haha ;;

Edited by BANRYU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BANRYU said:

oops sorry I did take that for what it was .3. my bad

It's not an issue, I have reasons for being deceptive about my gender

2 hours ago, BANRYU said:

suppose you could look at it that way? Though to be fair, going with that analogy, you're also looking at someone who was brought to someone else's house more or less against their will (however happy they were to stay once there) and the mess was through something that can scarcely be blamed on them for (I mean... unless there was some way Corrin could have known their sword was a frickin' demon-bomb....??). I can understand how it would seem like fleeing responsibility, but clearly that's not the way Corrin looks at it.

In any case, we can agree to disagree, that's just my interpretation haha ;; I'm not saying it's necessarily the best/right decision, but I do like the implied (though I'm not sure how intentional it was) thematics of light representing harsh justice and darkness representing complex emotion just in general, going beyond their stereotypical representations as simply good and evil, and given how Corrin's written in both routes (however badly lol), it sort of seems like that may have been what they were going for. The execution may not be great, but I like the concept.

Well, if there's any reason the mess could be blamed on Corrin it's because they were there in the first place. Although I also need to question why the Hoshidans didn't bother to disarm them either. And yeah, like, I don't have any issue with how you explained things regarding how you feel male Corrin and female Corrin would pick their sides, I just didn't really understand how the logic for female Corrin and empathy worked. I think bad writing's just to blame everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Revelations. Because all of the paths are kinda bad storywise, but at least Revelations has a "feel good" feel to it. And I kinda like the idea of being the "I can't tell you" idiot character. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

It's not an issue, I have reasons for being deceptive about my gender

Well, if there's any reason the mess could be blamed on Corrin it's because they were there in the first place. Although I also need to question why the Hoshidans didn't bother to disarm them either. And yeah, like, I don't have any issue with how you explained things regarding how you feel male Corrin and female Corrin would pick their sides, I just didn't really understand how the logic for female Corrin and empathy worked. I think bad writing's just to blame everywhere.

no judgments here =3= And yeah, I think we can agree on the writing if nothing else, haha... =w=

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...