Heroes Art Work That Seems a Bit Off

Rezzy

13 hours ago, r4v1sh said:

Well, I think Olivia's art looks weird overall. The black traces in her first pose are a bit too drawn out, and, while her other two stances are okayish in that aspect, her battle stance makes no sense and her wounded stance is somewhat over-the-top (she looks like a non-combatant, really, even when she's quite strong). But maybe that's just me nitpicking the artist style, since I also find Hector and Raven art style too much comic-like, with the large black traces and lack of shading, even though they're quite good (is it same artist as Olivias?)

Yeah.  AKIRA drew Olivia, Lon'qu, Hector, and Raven.

24 minutes ago, Sarki said:

If I'm not mistaken, same artist drew Cordelia. Their faces almost look identical. Ech.

No, Cordelia and F!Corrin have different artists.  The artist who drew Cordelia also drew F!Robin, Hinata, and Oboro.

To check who drew who why don't you look at the thread I made about this:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sarki said:

Thoughts on Fae & Raigh's art? I mean, they're starkly contrasting like Arthur, Olivia, or Raven (side note: Raven's poses & rendering is really badass), but I can't help put feel there's something a little... off about their saturated, chibi-ish figures up against most of the cast. Raigh even starts out alongside Virion & Matthew, blegh!

The artist is the same person that does Etrian Odyssey's characters.  I think it works very well for Fae, and is hilarious given Raigh's personality.

What annoys me is how most of these artists have drawn the damaged armour with cracks and chunks taken out as if they'd been gouged out by an oversized, jagged, sharp spoon. They should have dents from various weapon blows, some holes from swung weapons and pierced sections from sword/lance thrusts, maybe some armour missing or falling off (like Gunter's damaged artwork), etc., not cracks and chips flying off like it's made from goddamn porcelain. It's fucking metal.

Just pulled a Cordelia, and I see what people are saying about her face.  If you ask me some of her features support her head being at more of an angle and some of her features support it being more directed to the camera, so I decided to play around with them a bit.  Results for anyone interested:

Normal:

cordelia_org.png.18c6bccd7e42d00340b5e0455e10e61f.png

Directed to the camera more:

cordelia_nosejob.png.2c63bf558ac82a697716b85f7a8cca83.png

Further to the side:

cordelia_eyeandmouthjob2.png.ffc5728a1bd052d64580f82363657e94.png

Yeah, Ogma's muscles do look weird there...

Imo, Roy looks too young (and also a bit stiff), Hector's face isn't Hectorish enough, and the style there just doesn't work for me there either, and yeah, I don't like Eliwood's eyes, but his art is fine to me otherwise.

Ephraim looks too stiff to me.

Chrom looks a little too scrawny.

Cordelia has too much forehead.

And I think that's about it.

Edited by Anacybele

Well, I'm currently playing the paralogue with Laquesis and Eldigan. And, well, people might complain about Eliwood's eyes, but Laquesis's ones are no better. It's like they tried to toast her eyes with honey and spilled the whole bottle and made it into an eye. Sure, I'm not fond of moe stuff, but those are so wide, and it's not even cute imo xD. Ruins the rest of the artwok so much. Same can be said for Eliwood, though, but his is actually hilarious.

The rest has already been mentioned, as in Ogma's Muscles, Catria's pose, Lon'qu's face in battle, Sophia as a whole, Cordelia's face, and Oboro/Hinata in their normal pose, though Hinata has less of a weird face. I feel I preferred Oboro's angry face a lot more than this one. 

F!Robin is also underwhelming. M!Robin has cool artworks when F!Robin looks... I don't know... daydreaming? 

I may have something against the artist who drew Cordelia and co. but his rendition of Cordelia is terrible. 

In battle Draug do bother me too. I don't know. his eyes/facial composition doesn't go well with me... I can't put my finger on it, though.

On 2/20/2017 at 7:10 AM, Raven said:

What annoys me is how most of these artists have drawn the damaged armour with cracks and chunks taken out as if they'd been gouged out by an oversized, jagged, sharp spoon. They should have dents from various weapon blows, some holes from swung weapons and pierced sections from sword/lance thrusts, maybe some armour missing or falling off (like Gunter's damaged artwork), etc., not cracks and chips flying off like it's made from goddamn porcelain. It's fucking metal.

As someone with an interest in medieval combat thanks to this series, it's awful to look back and see how many errors there are even given the fantastical premise. Isn't it also nice how nothing gets dirty in this world? Also of note is Hinoka and Stahl getting chunks torn off in the middle of their scarves. How do you even do that without tearing it clean in two?

Cutting some slack though, dented metal is probably harder to draw than chipped/cracked ceramic and less pleasing to the layperson(?). 

Just looked through some of my units: Draug and Wendy's shields and Narcian's breastplate. Damn. 

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Ephraim looks too stiff to me.

Armor is fairly restrictive, especially with a breast plate that large, so at least it makes sense. 

As another point, a lot of characters are off balance. And what is Narcian wearing on his legs? I didn't know Nomura was art director. 

11 minutes ago, Locked Apple said:

Armor is fairly restrictive, especially with a breast plate that large, so at least it makes sense.

People used to tell me rather frequently that my armored characters looked stiff in the concept art I would draw. I've also seen armored characters look less stiff than Ephraim and yet still look natural and practical.

Edited by Anacybele

5 hours ago, Skrawl said:

Just pulled a Cordelia, and I see what people are saying about her face.  If you ask me some of her features support her head being at more of an angle and some of her features support it being more directed to the camera, so I decided to play around with them a bit.  Results for anyone interested:

Normal:

cordelia_org.png.18c6bccd7e42d00340b5e0455e10e61f.png

Directed to the camera more:

cordelia_nosejob.png.2c63bf558ac82a697716b85f7a8cca83.png

Further to the side:

cordelia_eyeandmouthjob2.png.ffc5728a1bd052d64580f82363657e94.png

Yeah, I see that now... Actually, I think its also her eye shape. They seem too.... young. If they were narrowed though it'd probably look weird

I take issue with Hector's damaged art. The others look cool to me, but the way he holds his axe in his damaged one looks unnatural to me.

Edited by Blade_of_Light

Ahh, what is wrong with my artistic eye! 

I love Gwedolyn's and Eliwood's odd styles! Gwen may be the only unit I burn all my feathers on!

Anyway, a few bother me, but it's petpeevy.

Takumi, for one, as his hair looks way too oversized for his head.

Odin's tiny head gives the illusion you are looking up at him. Or that he has a really tiny head.

Subaki just cut your bangs, son. Can't be perfect if you can't freakin see.

Olivia's artwork is really gross looking to me. The dirty lining is off, but I never used her, so I never grasped how weird her costume was. 

Also, I'm pretty convinced it's just tumblr being tumblr with a combination of cellphone brightness, but I've seen a startling amount of whitewashing complaints over Niles's art. I don't really see it, but his skin tone is different in Heroes. 

Most edits to correct it severely over correct and make him go from olive to chocolate so I don't know what is going on.

Edited by Altrosa

Est and Lachesis look really weird. They look too "chibi" and as a result, their eyes are WAY too big. I can't take you seriously if your eyes look like they're popping out of your head.

Edited by Canas

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:12 PM, Rosetta said:

Female Robin's oversized head.

Sophia's over-long right arm.

Lissa's expression.

My friend once asked me about Setsuna's gender.

Lissa in general weirds me out. Her face is weird and her new voice is annoying.

On 2/20/2017 at 1:03 AM, eclipse said:

The artist is the same person that does Etrian Odyssey's characters.  I think it works very well for Fae, and is hilarious given Raigh's personality.

THAT's why Fae looks so familiar.  I love the Etrian Odyssey artist's style and design.  I'm really glad they did some of the pictures.  

7 hours ago, Canas said:

Lissa in general weirds me out. Her face is weird and her new voice is annoying.

I absolutely love Lissa's weird expression and annoying voice.  They fit her fiery attitude so well IMO.  

I'm not a big fan of Cordelia's art.  Which is a shame since she has so much good artwork out in the wild.  And she's probably my best character with +Attack and her brave weapon (unfortunately she has - Def... which would have only been better if it was - Res or -Health)