[RELEASE] Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade Localized Names Patch

This is a modified version of gringe's FE6 localization patch detailed here:

The dialogue and story/script remain unchanged. All this patch does is update the names of all the characters in both data and script to match those localized in the Fire Emblem Heroes Choose Your Legends event. So now Allen is Alen, Wendy is Gwendolyn, etc. As always, let me know if there are any bugs and errors past the first chapter, and enjoy!

EDIT: Thite is now Thea, and you can apply this patch onto a clean FE6 rom.

FE6 Name Patch v2.1.zip

Edited by PikmTheHero
update v2.1

19 minutes ago, PikmTheHero said:

On the Heroes website its Thite, so

EDIT: Where is it translated as Thea?

Text in game from Shanna.

She talks about her older sisters Juno and Thea. I don't have the screenshot but I'm sure some one does.

I can see the value in putting in character names that have been used by released characters in Heroes like Thea and Gwendolyn ("Gwendolyn" doesn't fit in the UI on all screens by the way), but the names of unreleased characters on the website seem very liable to change. If you have the time to spend on it then I guess that's fine, but it seems like a waste of time to change names like "Allen" to "Alen" at this point.

Just my thought on the matter, though.

Two questions

Does Gwendolyn have any technical issues

and is the Link Arena functional yet?

If more names from the website are disregarded in Heroes what will your policy be, change as needed or revert all changes and go strictly on the basis of in game appearances? Gringe's sentiments echo my own after Thea basically threw the names out of the window; at this point if something on the site contradicts something in FE7 or Awakening it is much better to defer to FE7/Awakening at this point, since it seems more and more likely Heroes will ultimately retain the names already localized thus far (including Awakening) in spite of the website names, but afaik this isn't a case for any FE6 characters since Niime and Murdock were corrected. I just worry about the commitment needed since Heroes is going to be in it for the long haul and I don't want the patch abandoned halfway through getting official FE6 names in Heroes if it turns out the website names are horse crock.

can you also be sure to make it compatible with Gringe's companion numbers patch if at all possible?

edit: would it also be possible to have a version of the patch with ONLY the names of characters actually featuring in Heroes changed due to the whole Thea debacle? Could theoretically also make edits to the patch simpler in the future(?).

i still think a functional Link Arena is the biggest priority here either way since it remains the only non functional aspect of the gringe translation so that's what I primarily wrote this message for lol

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

On February 18, 2017 at 2:14 PM, PikmTheHero said:

Ok, about to push new update.

Someone did found discovered the data on Fire Emblem Heroes and Zephiel that has his legendary sword in his inventory which it's definitely used for those future event like Narcian. But, thanks for updating on all the names in the Binding Blade patch.

18 hours ago, wheelsonfire said:

The numbers patch already has the pre-Heroes patch installed on it, so putting a new one on it will not work (unless the hack itself is edited). I don't really see the need to do that anyway, because the hack plays perfectly fine as is.

The numbers patch changes everything to their localized FE7 values so the numbers patch is essentially what NoA would've put out plus some balancing tweaks. It's a pretty vital part of what a lot of people at least I personally know play; they literally always use it since they come from FE7.

On 2/19/2017 at 0:26 PM, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

Two questions

Does Gwendolyn have any technical issues

and is the Link Arena functional yet?

If more names from the website are disregarded in Heroes what will your policy be, change as needed or revert all changes and go strictly on the basis of in game appearances? Gringe's sentiments echo my own after Thea basically threw the names out of the window; at this point if something on the site contradicts something in FE7 or Awakening it is much better to defer to FE7/Awakening at this point, since it seems more and more likely Heroes will ultimately retain the names already localized thus far (including Awakening) in spite of the website names, but afaik this isn't a case for any FE6 characters since Niime and Murdock were corrected. I just worry about the commitment needed since Heroes is going to be in it for the long haul and I don't want the patch abandoned halfway through getting official FE6 names in Heroes if it turns out the website names are horse crock.

can you also be sure to make it compatible with Gringe's companion numbers patch if at all possible?

edit: would it also be possible to have a version of the patch with ONLY the names of characters actually featuring in Heroes changed due to the whole Thea debacle? Could theoretically also make edits to the patch simpler in the future(?).

i still think a functional Link Arena is the biggest priority here either way since it remains the only non functional aspect of the gringe translation so that's what I primarily wrote this message for lol

1. No, other than the game not being able to fully render her name on the unit select screen (just cuts of 3/4 of the way through). All other appearances of her name render fine.

2. No, this is a text-only translation hack.

I will change names as needed, I'm pretty flexible with this project, and I'll be on it as long as I have a working computer and demand. Edits to the patch are already quite simple for me, and I will update it easily as new information comes out. I can make it compatible with numbers, I just need to change what I create the patch from. However I do not currently have the time, and I will try to push a numbers compatible release either this evening or tomorrow afternoon.

On 2/22/2017 at 6:06 PM, PikmTheHero said:

1. No, other than the game not being able to fully render her name on the unit select screen (just cuts of 3/4 of the way through). All other appearances of her name render fine.

2. No, this is a text-only translation hack.

I will change names as needed, I'm pretty flexible with this project, and I'll be on it as long as I have a working computer and demand. Edits to the patch are already quite simple for me, and I will update it easily as new information comes out. I can make it compatible with numbers, I just need to change what I create the patch from. However I do not currently have the time, and I will try to push a numbers compatible release either this evening or tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for such an in depth response!

for the unit select screen I could put forth abbreviating her name as Gwen if you wanted to make it work, but that's just a suggestion

will definitely play the patch once the numbers patch is compatible with it

5 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

Thanks for such an in depth response!

for the unit select screen I could put forth abbreviating her name as Gwen if you wanted to make it work, but that's just a suggestion

will definitely play the patch once the numbers patch is compatible with it

Still unable to do numbers patch due to other commitments, and I can't change it to Gwen without ruining the purpose of this hack.

28 minutes ago, PikmTheHero said:

Still unable to do numbers patch due to other commitments, and I can't change it to Gwen without ruining the purpose of this hack.

Gwen solely for the unit select screen, Gwendolyn everywhere else. Sorry for the miscommunication

i should clarify the link Arena is technically functional but it needs work done on the text and the name writing system needs to be unjumbled

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

On 2/24/2017 at 8:46 PM, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

Gwen solely for the unit select screen, Gwendolyn everywhere else. Sorry for the miscommunication

i should clarify the link Arena is technically functional but it needs work done on the text and the name writing system needs to be unjumbled

1. It's impossible, because the game reads one offset for all the menus.

2. I may work on that, once I can actually get back to this project (ASO is killing me)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanted to note something. I was playing through the most recent version, and once I got Elffin I noticed an odd glitch where once his bird starts chirping the audio suddenly went silent until it returned to the map screen. Has this happened to anyone else?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2017 at 7:06 PM, Glaceon Mage said:

For the screenshot:

Reveal hidden contents

qZuumhi.png

Thea... It's really a much better name than Tate in the past (Thite would be even worse xD). I wonder why the Japanese name sounded that way.

Well, kudos to the localized team for giving her a much more acceptable name in Heroes. :)

On 4/10/2017 at 5:12 AM, Great Dane said:

I wanted to note something. I was playing through the most recent version, and once I got Elffin I noticed an odd glitch where once his bird starts chirping the audio suddenly went silent until it returned to the map screen. Has this happened to anyone else?

Is it working as intended in the original version? It must've mixed up with Silence's effect somewhere :unsure:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
2 minutes ago, crowbachprints said:

this patch feeds on my autistic obsession with canon localized names and thus i thank you immensely sir

i replied to this on accident and don't know how to delete it lmaooooo

Edited by crowbachprints