General Fire Emblem tip?

jschmitdinger

Yo dudes and dudettes! So I've played a couple fire emblem games (shadow dragon and blazing sword) and I can't really get along with something..

Basically in every game what I did was decide which units I wanted to train and basically ignored all others. I choose to level them up to lv. 20 before promoting them, but what happened is that in the end of the game they all were mostly lv 18 or 19 and only a couple had been promoted, and didn't even get to level up.

So yeah, I loved both games, but before moving on the next title I wanted to ask you guys, is this really it? I feel as if I'm not getting the most out of my units.. is there some sort of strategy to make them more powerfull or something? What use is there in pushing them to lv 20 before promoting if you're not gonna enjoy them once promoted? Any tips are really welcome.

Thanks a bunch!

Edited by jschmitdinger
grammar

It really depends.

In "linear" FE, I don't get a unit to lvl 20 for promotion. Example : in my latest run of FE7 I get a General Oswyn immediately in Chapter 16. Why? Because I like it that way and I don't feel like grinding some levels too...

So yeah, as for a tip, I usually goes for a unit at lvl 15-17 or with a maxed Stat. The concerned unit at those levels nearly (believe in the RNG!) maxed some Stats so here goes a promotion! 

I don't know if this helps you at all. But that's how I manage promotion in "linear" FE.

Edit : wrong chapter in my example. My bad, been a long time.

Edited by Ycine

Well, you mean they end up 18-19 still unpromoted or 18-19 promoted? If the first then it's really strange. It can be because you use too many units. If you concentrate on a relatively small team (16 units or 20-25 for better diversity) there should be completely enough exp in any FE game starting from FE6 (i didn't play the earlier ones).

I generally go only for lvl 20 promotes. The exceptions are: maxing some stat earlier (same thing as Ycine posted) and healers who gain levels slower before getting weapon in their advanced class. For healers as a rule of thumb I use level 16-18 as their "cap" in unpromoted class. With all this and by using a limited cast I almost always get everyone I use to their pormoted classes and levels ~18 in them.

upd: Btw, from strategic point it's completely fine to promote everyone around 15-16. I do like to maximize the stats for everyone but it's really not needed and the early firepower can make the game more balanced in difficulty.

Edited by Avestus

This is in the wrong subform.  I'm moving this to General FE.

Whether your strategy works or not depends on the size of your team.  I find a core of 12 in Shadow Dragon (including Marth) will have more than enough experience to tackle everything.  Blazing Sword should have a similar amount.

@eclipse sorry, I thought I had posted on General FE.. my bad.

@Ycine thanks for the tip. I really wasn't paying much attention to maxed stats. 

@Avestus and @eclipse I meant 18~19 unpromoted, with some being promoted but on really low levels. Looking at my team in blazing sword, I only work with 12 units, including the lords.

Maybe in another playthrough I can level up them better, thanks a bunch guys!

It definitely sounds like you're using too many units. I don't think I've ever done a run with more than 12 main units (excluding units whose levels I don't care about too much, like dancers), even when I'm using prepromotes.

1 hour ago, Fly_or_Die said:

It definitely sounds like you're using too many units. I don't think I've ever done a run with more than 12 main units (excluding units whose levels I don't care about too much, like dancers), even when I'm using prepromotes.

This. Most of the time the key to success in FE is choosing a relatively small group of units out of the pool you're given, and training them up. Trying to use everyone will result in a team of weak units that can't put up much of a fight. Treat is like an exclusive club. FE is about quality over quantity.