Went right into FE6 after playing FE7

Platysaur

... and holy shit, Hector was my favorite FE7 character. So practically right at the start, having him die? That really sucks, especially how anticlimactic it was.

Makes me wonder if they would have handled it differently if FE6 came out after FE7.

Edited by Platysaur

If they handled it after FE7 came out, Hector would have defeated Bern single handedly, and ripped Zephiel, Jahn AND Idunn in half with his bare hands.

It would have been a pretty short, boring game, so I see why they decided to tell Roy's story first.

3 hours ago, Slumber said:

If they handled it after FE7 came out, Hector would have defeated Bern single handedly, and ripped Zephiel, Jahn AND Idunn in half with his bare hands.

It would have been a pretty short, boring game, so I see why they decided to tell Roy's story first.

I'm completely understanding of this mindset.

Anyway, in all seriousness, I decided to have a look at the Numbers to see Hector's chances.

Spoiler

Hector's averages in FE7 (rounded): 56/30/23/21/14/28/14, 15 Con
Hector's stats in FE6 (Trial Map): 43/18/20/10/15/30/15, 20 Con

Zephiel's Normal stats: 70/24/20/14/15/22/24, 17 Con
And he only gets 1 HP in Hard, so meh.

Weapons... we'll compare both, so we'll consider their weapons differently. Zephiel gets Eckesachs. FE7 Hector will get Wolf Beil, since Armads has been put away by the time of the encounter. FE6 Hector comes with a Brave Axe and a Silver Lance, so we have those to consider.

Eckesachs: 15 Might, 90 Hit, 5 Crit, 15 Weight
Wolf Beil: 10 Might, 75 Hit, 5 Crit, 10 Weight
Brave Axe: 10 Might, 55 Hit, 0 Crit, 16 Weight
Silver Lance: 14 Might, 65 Hit, 0 Crit, 10 Weight

Considering the circumstances, I think it unreasonable to suspect that Hector can take advantage of Supports.

Zephiel's Atk: 40 against Axes (38 against Lances)
Hector's Atk (Wolf Beil): 57 (45)
Hector's Atk (Brave Axe): 39 (27)
Hector's Atk (Silver Lance): 29 (41 with FE7, but that Hector can't use Lances)

Zephiel's Hit: 147 vs Axes, 127 vs Lances
Hector's Hit (Wolf Beil): 118 (112)
Hector's Hit (Brave Axe): 98 (92)
Hector's Hit (Silver Lance): 122 (128 with FE7)

Zephiel's Avoid: 43
FE7 Hector's Avoid: 56 (54 w/Brave Axe)
FE6 Hector's Avoid: 35

Zephiel's Crit: 15- 1% odds on FE7 Hector
FE7 Hector's Crit: 11 (16 w/ Wolf Beil)- 1% odds with Wolf Beil only
FE6 Hector's Crit: 10 (15 w/ Wolf Beil)

So let's take a look at the battle numbers...

Zephiel will deal 12 damage against FE7 Hector, with 91% odds (93% if Hector uses his Brave Axe). He gets 1% crit odds, and FE7 Hector needs to take 5 hits to die.

Zephiel will deal 10 (8) damage against FE6 Hector, with 100% odds (92% against Hector's Silver Lance), and he can double. He can't crit, and FE6 Hector needs to take 5 hits if he has an axe, or 6 if he's using his lance.

FE7 Hector can deal 35/17x2 damage, depending on the axe. He can also naturally double. His odds are 75% and 55%, respectively- not good odds. The Wolf Beil has a 1% crit. Ironically, Zephiel's one HP makes a difference- he takes two Wolf Beil hits in Normal, three in Hard. Brave Axe needs 5 hits regardless, though.

FE6 Hector can deal 23/5x2/7 damage, with 69%, 49% and 79% odds respectively. Wolf Beil kills in 4 hits, Brave Axe 14/15, and Silver Lance 10/11. He can't crit.

So, in summary, FE7 Hector (and FE6 Wolf Beil) can kill Zephiel in less rounds than Zephiel can kill him. However, Zephiel's hit odds are much better than Hector's- the match in which Zephiel has the worst odds is against Hector's best odds, and it's still 91 to 75 in Zephiel's favour before True Hit.

There is one advantage Hector could use to lower Zephiel's hit odds and tip the odds in his favour, in theory. He could sit on that chapter's throne and benefit from +3 Def, +30 Avoid and passive healing for ~5 HP a turn. However, in doing so, he forfeits the match. Zephiel's Eckesachs can attack at 2 range, and there is nothing Hector can do to counter that without losing his throne's benefits.

Zephiel's extra range also gives him a bonus in this fight: by attacking at range on his turns, Zephiel can nullify Hector's Speed advantage. Considering the scenario, I believe Zephiel also gets the first attack.

Truth of the matter is, sucks to be Hector.

(I'm too mathematically drained to calculate Florina's odds right now... maybe later)

I actually made a FE6 vs calculator a while ago: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kLYSqf-PDW8YiXKykHI7Qvy3YljtkYKXeO-eZCM5lfw/edit#gid=0

Since FE6 Hector's stat's are what's in stone for the time FE6 takes place...

FE6 Trial Map Hector flat out doesn't stand a chance, period, if he uses a Silver Axe.

Zephiel does 10 damage, and doubles, with a 100% chance to hit with Eckesachs on a Hector using a Silver Axe, no chance for crit.  Hector does 10 damage, doesn't double, and has a 49% chance to hit.  Since Hector has only 43 HP to Zephiel's 70, there's no way he can win in a straight 1 on 1. without Serra there to help or something

Now if he  uses a Silver Lance:

Zephiel still doubles him, but he only does 8 damage per hit instead of 10, and at 92 accuracy.  Hector is now doing 11 damage per hit, at 72.9% accuracy.  Hector has much less HP than Zephiel, though, so Zephiel is still probably going to win!

tl;dr FE6 Hector definitely stands no chance unless the RNG gods really take a shine to him suddenly when he is using a Lance.

You've had the same reaction to Hector's death as all my friends who played FE7 before FE6. Personally, I played FE6 before FE7, so I didn't feel the same way about Hector. Still very sad though, because I WAS sad to see him die.

But certainly not as much as you or my friends who went by this timeline of the Elibe series. (FE7 => FE6)

Spoiler

Zephiel's HP: 71
Zephiel's Atk: 39
Zephiel's Def: 22
Zephiel's Hit: 137
Zephiel's Avoid: 43
Zephiel's Crit: 15
Zephiel's Dodge: 15
Zephiel's AS: 14

Now that we have Zephiel's numbers, a look at some of Hector's more broken friends from FE7- all three of his wives as well as Oswin.

Lyn (Mani Katti):

Spoiler

HP: 46
Atk: 45 (+1)
Def: 13 (+1)
Hit: 164 (+7)
Avoid: 86 (+7)
Crit: 34 (+15)
Dodge: 26 (+15)
AS: 30

Thoughts:

23 damage with 100% odds- kills in 4 hits. 3 hits, if her A Support with Hector is factored in. Doubles.
26 damage against with 51% odds- kills in 2 hits. In A Support, decreases to 25 damage with 44%.
Lyn has a 19% crit chance, 34% with her A Support.

...Forget Hector, how did Lyn die?

Florina (Silver Lance):

Spoiler

HP: 45
Atk: 37 (+1)
Def: 12 (+3)
Hit: 148 (+7)
Avoid: 72 (+7)
Crit: 12 (+15)
Dodge: 26 (+7)
AS: 23

Thoughts:

15 damage with 100% odds- kills in 5 hits. Doubles.
26 damage against with 55% odds- kills in 2 hits. In A Support, decreases to 23 damage with 50%
With A Support, Florina has a 12% crit chance.

...Not as nice a chance as Lyn, but still pretty nice. Keep in mind she's being weighed down by her lance, while Lyn isn't.

Farina (Silver Lance):

Spoiler

HP: 49
Atk: 38 (+1)
Def: 19 (+3)
Hit: 144
Avoid: 66 (+15)
Crit: 12 (+7)
Dodge: 22 (+15)
AS: 22

Thoughts:

16 damage with 100% odds- kills in 5 hits, doubles.
19 damage against with 61% odds- kills in 3 hits. With A Support, decreases to 16 damage with 46% odds (4 hits)
With A Support, Farina has a 4% crit chance.

Lyn has a quick fight, but damn- Farina gives him an even match solidly in her favour.

Oswin (Silver Lance):

Spoiler

HP: 59
Atk: 42
Def: 30
Hit: 133
Avoid: 48
Crit: 10
Dodge: 14
AS: 17

Oswin's presence is independent of his Support with Hector, but the bonuses are identical to Farina's. I will not be factoring them in.

Thoughts:

20 damage with 90% odds- 4 hits to kill.
8 damage against with 79% odds- 8 hits to kill.
Zephiel has 1% crit chance.

Looks fairly impressive for Oswin here, but do not be fooled- he lacks the AS necessary to double Zephiel, and because Zephiel can attack at range on his turn, Zephiel has two opportunities to attack each turn to Oswin's one. With hit odds as high as 79%, I do not like Oswin's chances as much as it might seem.

Final verdict? It's certainly plausible for Zephiel to have defeated all of Hector's potential death machines at Ositia. But they all have much better odds of victory than Hector himself.