Positive things about Shadow Dragon

Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon has the reputation of being the worst FE game in the series.  While I love this game to death, I am not so selfish to deny its overwhelming flaws.  The animations, while quick and fluid, were bland and lacked style of the earlier games like Geneology of the Holy war or the GBA games.  The Support System was almost shafted and replaced with automatic supports and simple character specific conversations.  A complete turn around of Permadeath, and requiring tons of units be dead to receive very easy gaiden chapters with poor units as rewards.

However.  

There are many good things that shadow dragon did as well, that many people praise the newer games like Fates and Awakening for doing: static Enemy range, button command animation (pressing the L button or trigger to turn off that specific animation), skipping enemy turns, Items returning to the convoy when an enemy dies, etc.  The story was not fantastic, but the world building, dialogue, and character development (mostly Marth) were quite entertaining.  I still remember trying to unlock every single alternate dialogue in the game.  Being able to forge effective weapons and unique weapons to give the player a sense of craftsmanship that was not possible in radiant dawn or path of radiance. (Still wish the colors would have come back) And most of all, Reclassing was put in to give replay-ability and new life in characters who were, in their normal classes, often difficult or even somewhat unappealing to use.  

Whether you debate me on that last one or any of those other points, I still believe Shadow dragon is not the Sh*t storm it is claimed to be, despite its poor sales and game implementations.  It's obvious I am biased towards the game, and I believe that many of the newer games learned a ton from the implementations from shadow dragon, for better or for worse.  I'm glad it was made the way it was, and I hope that players can see that it's not just a stick in the mud.  

So.  What did you like about Shadow Dragon? Why?

Geez, where do I begin?

- The title of this game should be Fire Emblem: Options Abound.  Reclassing turned otherwise boring characters/clones into their own thing. . .well, some of them, anyway.  It also put a nice emphasis on bases, which is why Wendell with a Levin Sword is funny.  You can choose whether or not you want to follow canon, or shoot canon out of a cannon (such as whether or not you give up the Spheres).

- The story is about Marth.  Thus, the story follows Marth, and treats the rest of his army like the supporting characters they are.  Death quotes give them enough personality, IMO.  They're short, but unique to each character (yes, even those prisoners).  And the writing is really pretty, to boot.

- Save points.  BRING THEM BACK!

- I think the gaiden requirements fit the narrative, even if they're not ideal from a gameplay perspective.  It's as if Marth took those side quests to bolster his flagging army.  Otherwise, he wouldn't have bothered to go to those places.

- The game is simple enough that a draft run is fun, but not so easy that assembling Any Old Team will net the best turn count.

- Buyable.  PRF.  Weapons!

- The inventory merging system was awesome.

- You can choose how much of the enemy's turn to skip (nothing, movement, everything).

- I miss dynamic growths.

. . .I'll shut up now.

32 minutes ago, eclipse said:

- The title of this game should be Fire Emblem: Options Abound.  Reclassing turned otherwise boring characters/clones into their own thing. . .well, some of them, anyway.  It also put a nice emphasis on bases, which is why Wendell with a Levin Sword is funny.  You can choose whether or not you want to follow canon, or shoot canon out of a cannon (such as whether or not you give up the Spheres).

- Save points.  BRING THEM BACK!

- The game is simple enough that a draft run is fun, but not so easy that assembling Any Old Team will net the best turn count.

- You can choose how much of the enemy's turn to skip (nothing, movement, everything).

YEEEEEESSSS, especially the save points.

I also enjoyed some of the narrative aspects of the game such as choosing which character to basically sacrifice at the beginning of the game.  With a series like Fire Emblem where you want all characters to live, choosing who dies intentionally is very different.

EDIT: Oh and the fact when you fight in the arena and your character survives, you can choose to keep going.

Edited by SHSL Ninja

• weapon triangle
  • Tellius's weapon weight system (despite it screws mages but whatever...)
  • tutorial chapters with two exclusive characters
  • side chapters (despite you have to sacrifice tons of your units. Not really an issue because like 50% of the cast is trash anyways)
  • forging
  • save points
  • FE9 battle theme in the arena

The prologue chapters. In addition to being a shoutout to the Fire Emblem OVA, I can't imagine the game without these chapters (don't think about the difficulties, don't think about the difficulties, don't-). And the choice of leaving a unit behind is excellent. Narratively, it's silly to think you could dress half your guys up as Marth to act as a diversion, but at least they tried to add something to the game. And I like choosing Jagen to make one last meaningful sacrifice

- Marth is actually a really solid character with a well handled character arc. Seeing him go from weak little princeling who just lost his kingdom to an accomplished hero in his own right is great, and it's paced perfectly. There are plenty of snippets of traits such as his feelings for Shiida/Caeda, his struggle with his grief over losing his mother during the celebration at the end of Chapter 17, his consideration and support of Nyna's feelings and so on. I always used to brush Marth off as a bland and uninteresting character, but on my current replay of the game I'm finding myself becoming more invested in his character.

- The story might be a bit simple and barebones, and a lot of the characters have next to zero characterisation, but the moment to moment writing is very good. The narration is excellent, and the character interaction feels organic and fluid. None of the dialogue feels wasted or like it's padding things out for the sake of it. It all feels very engaging and natural. The medieval-style dialogue is great as well.

- The number of gameplay options. The six difficulty levels, reclassing and forging make for a really customisable experience. My only sadness with this is that so many of the game's units suck. If the cast was better balanced overall, it could be really something special.

- I really like the soundtrack. The battle preparations theme is probably my favourite in the series, I like its map themes and Clash of Two Virtues is easily one of my favourite battle themes in the series.

- The high unit movement. The elevated movement ranges of every unit type relative to most other games in the series is always something I've enjoyed about this game, because not only does it speed up the pace of moving across the maps, but it also means you need to take extra care of what units you leave in enemy units' range. Horsemen can get pretty scary with flying units in tow! Special shoutout to Marth for having a whopping 7 Move and infinite chest opening utility. That's one of my favourite things about this game tbh.

- The overall lower stats of your units compared to enemies (on the higher difficulties, anyway). It really makes every stat point feel significant, and you really have to get the most mileage out of everything you've got. I like the reduced emphasis on dodgetanking as well, you pretty much always have to play assuming you'll be taking any hit aimed at you, especially in the earlygame.

- Save points are so useful. I agree with Etrurian emperor about the importance of when you choose to use them; use them wisely and they're a great boon. Use them poorly and you can back yourself into a corner.

- I find using Wendell to be way too fun. Something about a unit with those seemingly terrible bases and that portrait being one of the most flexible and useful units in the entire game is just so appealing to me.

16 hours ago, Apollo said:

I like the reduced emphasis on dodgetanking as well, you pretty much always have to play assuming you'll be taking any hit aimed at you, especially in the earlygame.

And that, Ladies and Gents, is how I beat hard mode 4 by myself. (And with Catria as a paladin owning medius with a Gradius crit)

23 hours ago, Ranger Jack Walker said:

Hands down, the best localisation. Great writing with the minimalist script they had.

Spoiler

Ruffian:
“You! Inside!”

Gordin:
“Grrrmph…”

Ruffian:
“Heh. I thought Altea was the great ‘ero Anri’s kingdom! Didn’t take more’n a couple of days to break you, now did it, Gaggles?”

Gordin:
“Mmph! Arrumph!”

Ruffian:
“What’s the matter, Gaggles? Can’t talk cause you’re gagged, Gaggles? Ba ha ha! I’ll letcha in on a little secret. Altea’s little princeling is on ‘is way ‘ere right this moment.”

Gordin:
“…..!”

Ruffian:
“Ooh, but sad for you, you look awful dangerous in the uniform… MISTER GRA SOLDIER! Ha! Soon as the prince sees you, ‘e’ll say, “Yow! It’s an enemy ambush!”-And that’ll be the end of you.”

Gordin:
“Gugrrrmph!”

Ruffian:
“Once the prince sticks you like a pig, we get to call him Marth the Tyrant, coz ‘e kills ‘is own countrymen.”

Ruffian:
“Won’t that be an ‘oot!”

Gordin:
“Rrrmph.”

Ruffian:
“So long, Gaggles! Better start praying to your ‘igher deity of choice!”
(Gordin killed as an enemy)
Gordin:
“May I suffer for my sins…”

(Recruiting Gordin)

Marth:
“Yow! It’s an enemy ambush!”

Sorry, but this is beyond juvenile. Reading this in context isn't any better, because Marth overreacts to a single, unarmed enemy soldier, who on closer inspection is gagged and tied up.

I will say that word choice is pretty authentic for most of the game's dialogue, I'll give it that. No characters that literally feel like they've been living in the 21st century of our world before being put into the game.

Edited by Gustavos

2 minutes ago, Gustavos said:
  Hide contents

Ruffian:
“You! Inside!”

Gordin:
“Grrrmph…”

Ruffian:
“Heh. I thought Altea was the great ‘ero Anri’s kingdom! Didn’t take more’n a couple of days to break you, now did it, Gaggles?”

Gordin:
“Mmph! Arrumph!”

Ruffian:
“What’s the matter, Gaggles? Can’t talk cause you’re gagged, Gaggles? Ba ha ha! I’ll letcha in on a little secret. Altea’s little princeling is on ‘is way ‘ere right this moment.”

Gordin:
“…..!”

Ruffian:
“Ooh, but sad for you, you look awful dangerous in the uniform… MISTER GRA SOLDIER! Ha! Soon as the prince sees you, ‘e’ll say, “Yow! It’s an enemy ambush!”-And that’ll be the end of you.”

Gordin:
“Gugrrrmph!”

Ruffian:
“Once the prince sticks you like a pig, we get to call him Marth the Tyrant, coz ‘e kills ‘is own countrymen.”

Ruffian:
“Won’t that be an ‘oot!”

Gordin:
“Rrrmph.”

Ruffian:
Gordin:

(Recruiting Gordin)

Marth:

Sorry, but this is beyond juvenile. Reading this in context isn't any better, because Marth overreacts to a single, unarmed enemy soldier, who on closer inspection is gagged and tied up.

Okay? What's your point? Do you even have one?

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

20 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

The scene I provided. "Beyond juvenile" to imply that it was written for small children to follow along, and I don't think that's good writing.

How precious. Good for you. Nothing about the scene is even remotely 'juvenile'. It was written for small children to follow along? Follow along what exactly? 

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

That's enough, you two.

1 hour ago, Gustavos said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I will say that word choice is pretty authentic for most of the game's dialogue, I'll give it that. No characters that literally feel like they've been living in the 21st century of our world before being put into the game.

You missed some of the context.  Marth and Co. are on the run from Gra, and have been turned into fugitives in their own homeland.  Being on the run is plenty stressful.  In order to get to the prison, they had to kill several Gra soldiers (practically speaking - anyone that wants to argue how it's possible to get to Gordin without killing anyone will be ignored).  Thus, Marth being jumpy upon seeing someone in a Gra uniform is perfectly plausible.  The wording's a bit cheeky, but I think it's more for humor than anything - notice the number of bad puns in the localization.

13 hours ago, Gustavos said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Ruffian:
“You! Inside!”

Gordin:
“Grrrmph…”

Ruffian:

Gordin:
“Mmph! Arrumph!”

Ruffian:

Gordin:
“…..!”

Ruffian:

Gordin:
“Gugrrrmph!”

Ruffian:

Ruffian:
“Won’t that be an ‘oot!”

Gordin:
“Rrrmph.”

Ruffian:
Gordin:

(Recruiting Gordin)

Marth:

>“So long, Gaggles! Better start praying to your ‘igher deity of choice!”

>Tfw SD did "Pick a god and pray" before "Pick a god and pray" was cool

Anyway, more seriously, while Marth's last sentence here feels quite comical(altough, like Eclipse said, Marth reacting like that is actually quite justified) , I can't really see what is so "Juvenile" about this part of the script.

Anyway, as much as people like to shit on about it, I actually loved the art-style of SD as I felt It was aperfect between "anime" and "realism", if that makes sense. Also, SD reclassing was really fun and Save points were a fantastic idea that should return.

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:13 AM, Ranger Jack Walker said:

Hands down, the best localisation. Great writing with the minimalist script they had.

I agree. The writing was one of the main reasons I enjoyed SD so much.

1 hour ago, The Malign Knight said:

Anyway, more seriously, while Marth's last sentence here feels quite comical(altough, like Eclipse said, Marth reacting like that is actually quite justified) , I can't really see what is so "Juvenile" about this part of the script.

14 hours ago, eclipse said:

That's enough, you two.

You missed some of the context.  Marth and Co. are on the run from Gra, and have been turned into fugitives in their own homeland.  Being on the run is plenty stressful.  In order to get to the prison, they had to kill several Gra soldiers (practically speaking - anyone that wants to argue how it's possible to get to Gordin without killing anyone will be ignored).  Thus, Marth being jumpy upon seeing someone in a Gra uniform is perfectly plausible.  The wording's a bit cheeky, but I think it's more for humor than anything - notice the number of bad puns in the localization.

Except Marth did not misreact out of stress. The very next lines are:

Gordin:
“Rrrgmph mrph!”

Marth:
“Huh? You’ve been gagged? Here, I’ll get that… Wait, I know you! You’re one of our archers, er…”

Anyway, the Ruffian overestimating Marth's stress levels isn't the issue, the plan itself is flawed. There are no witnesses to see that it was Marth or any of his soldier that killed Gordin, no evidence of the crime that couldn't easily be fabricated by Gra troops. If we assume the ultimate goal of this trap is to buy time for the advancing forces chasing Marth to catch up, why not post an actual ambush with the men you have or better yet keep the fort locked down (like it is in the start of the chapter as they introduce door keys) since it's the only means of passage through the area? And it took Marth just a moment to notice that Gordin was gagged, unarmed, and bound so as not to move. Being tied up is not reflected in dialogue, but Gordin not simply running once he was left alone in the fort would suggest only this. And the Yow! It's an enemy archer line being imagined word for word by the Ruffian who speaks nothing like Marth goes too far beyond one's suspension of disbelief - a total fourth wall break. The line is also completely out of character for Marth, and gods could you imagine if somebody like Corrin spoke that line in any context? You wouldn't hear the end of it. It's fortunate that few people remember these prologue chapters in any detail. Returning players always play on Hard, and new players are encouraged to do Hard as well by veterans that I've seen. Delving further into the scene you'll find more of the Ruffian's speak to be simple schoolyard bullying. The term "Gaggles" being repeated with no rhyme or reason reminiscent of dumb nicknames intended to annoy other kids as a bully would. The nickname "welp" would fit the scene more if we assume these characters to be adults. There's a functional application for "Gaggles", however, since drawing a gag on Gordin's portrait for this scene is apparently too much work, you need to reflect this idea through dialogue. And when there's a tot reading, you need to reflect details like this over and over since they do not immediately understand what it means to be gagged, our Ruffian needs to spell out the significance. There is another flaw in this scene's writing, and I'm only noticing it's there in the part I copied. Gordin's death quote. He is gagged, how is he speaking? It's not Gordin's generic death quote either, the same writers taking several pains to communicate that Gordin is gagged forgot this detail when writing his death quote for this chapter. I'd also ask what "sins" Gordin is referring to, but I'm officially thinking about this scene more than the writers did at this point.

And that is juvenile writing. Thank you for the opportunity to explain my reasoning, as the original post I got in my notifications was:

16 hours ago, Ranger Jack Walker said:

How precious. Good for you.

So I thought fine, doesn't want to talk about this so I won't push.

8 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Except Marth did not misreact out of stress. The very next lines are:

Gordin:
“Rrrgmph mrph!”

Marth:
“Huh? You’ve been gagged? Here, I’ll get that… Wait, I know you! You’re one of our archers, er…”

Anyway, the Ruffian overestimating Marth's stress levels isn't the issue, the plan itself is flawed. There are no witnesses to see that it was Marth or any of his soldier that killed Gordin, no evidence of the crime that couldn't easily be fabricated by Gra troops. If we assume the ultimate goal of this trap is to buy time for the advancing forces chasing Marth to catch up, why not post an actual ambush with the men you have or better yet keep the fort locked down (like it is in the start of the chapter as they introduce door keys) since it's the only means of passage through the area? And it took Marth just a moment to notice that Gordin was gagged, unarmed, and bound so as not to move. Being tied up is not reflected in dialogue, but Gordin not simply running once he was left alone in the fort would suggest only this. And the Yow! It's an enemy archer line being imagined word for word by the Ruffian who speaks nothing like Marth goes too far beyond one's suspension of disbelief - a total fourth wall break. The line is also completely out of character for Marth, and gods could you imagine if somebody like Corrin spoke that line in any context? You wouldn't hear the end of it. It's fortunate that few people remember these prologue chapters in any detail. Returning players always play on Hard, and new players are encouraged to do Hard as well by veterans that I've seen. Delving further into the scene you'll find more of the Ruffian's speak to be simple schoolyard bullying. The term "Gaggles" being repeated with no rhyme or reason reminiscent of dumb nicknames intended to annoy other kids as a bully would. The nickname "welp" would fit the scene more if we assume these characters to be adults. There's a functional application for "Gaggles", however, since drawing a gag on Gordin's portrait for this scene is apparently too much work, you need to reflect this idea through dialogue. And when there's a tot reading, you need to reflect details like this over and over since they do not immediately understand what it means to be gagged, our Ruffian needs to spell out the significance. There is another flaw in this scene's writing, and I'm only noticing it's there in the part I copied. Gordin's death quote. He is gagged, how is he speaking? It's not Gordin's generic death quote either, the same writers taking several pains to communicate that Gordin is gagged forgot this detail when writing his death quote for this chapter. I'd also ask what "sins" Gordin is referring to, but I'm officially thinking about this scene more than the writers did at this point.

And that is juvenile writing. Thank you for the opportunity to explain my reasoning, as the original post I got in my notifications was:

So I thought fine, doesn't want to talk about this so I won't push.

I'd love to respond, but I don't do giant walls of text with lots of rambling and no paragraphs.

In the meantime, what do you think happens to people under extreme stress?  I'm not talking about studying for finals, I'm talking soldiers in a combat zone.

18 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

And the Yow! It's an enemy archer line being imagined word for word by the Ruffian who speaks nothing like Marth goes too far beyond one's suspension of disbelief - a total fourth wall break. The line is also completely out of character for Marth, and gods could you imagine if somebody like Corrin spoke that line in any context? You wouldn't hear the end of it. 

it's literally just there for a joke dude, and i'm pretty sure marth is like 13 years old at the time

his character has barely been established aside from him being young and foolish and considering the time skip between that and any other part of the game it's pushing it to call it "completely out of character"

19 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I'd love to respond, but I don't do giant walls of text with lots of rambling and no paragraphs.

In the meantime, what do you think happens to people under extreme stress?  I'm not talking about studying for finals, I'm talking soldiers in a combat zone.

What? A new paragraph implies a new argument, and all of what I wrote is one - an analysis of the scene. Posting an empty response without doing the reading, where's a mod when you need one? I refuse questions from somebody that won't add to the discussion.

2 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

What? A new paragraph implies a new argument, and all of what I wrote is one - an analysis of the scene. Posting an empty response without doing the reading, where's a mod when you need one? I refuse questions from somebody that won't add to the discussion.

Right here.  And it's your duty to make sure that your argument is readable to the other person - it's called being considerate.

1 hour ago, Gustavos said:

No, it doesn't. You can use paragraphs to separate points. That's basic for writing say, a paper (or just having a discussion) and it makes everything more organized and friendlier to the eyes.

Anyways I really like SD. I really like the writing for it despite it being "dry." I find it more serious and mature compared to other games' writing, and I respect that. I also like how faithful IS remained to the original game, especially considering I never played it/don't plan on playing it.

Honestly, I've never had any complaints with SD. I like the characters, despite some being obviously better than others, I like the art style, I like all the difficulty options, etc. etc. I don't think people give it enough credit. :p

I never considered Shadow Dragon a bad game. I just feel... ambivalent. Anyways:

- the script. It had its funny moments but was overall concise and tight.
- skippable enemy phase
- continuous Arena matches
- sparce, one-time use Save Points on the map
- new prologue
- gaidens since they help a player that lost many units and doesn't detract from the main story. Who was really using most of those units anyways? I guess I'd only understand if someone wanted Horace and wanted everyone to stay alive.
- merging items

I place Shadow Dragon at "average" as I truly understand what they were going for but it could have been better as far as gameplay is concerned. Wish I could enjoy it more since I don't consider it that bad. I think it's stuff such as the iffy Avoid calculation and low growth rates that turn me off. Also the animations without faces. They weren't flashy--I didn't mind that--but not even having eyes bothered me a lot.