Who should I upgrade to 5 star?

flaredare911

I've been lucky enough to get a 5 star Ephraim, Minerva, and Lucina. Therefore I have 1 of every color except grey in 5 star. I originally planned to upgrade Tharja, Nowi, Roy, Cecila, or Cordelia before I got my 5 stars but now I feel like I should upgrade a colorless unit to round out my team. Unfortunately the only color 4 star units I have are Setsuna, Sakura, Matthew, or Jeorge. Should I upgrade one of them? Or upgrade one of the better units I have to 5 star regardless of their color?

Colorless are kind of disappointing in the current lineup in my opinion. Takumi is broken. Jeorge and Kagero are good alternatives and healers scale really bad at higher levels. You're better off with a dancer than a healer at level 40. 

That being said, Nowi and Cordelia are really good. Tharja is pretty good too but I'd consider those two 1st. Anyway, before upgrading anyone you should always check their boon/bane. Literally, if you considered upgrading Roy 1st but his boon/bane is really bad you might reconsider alternative 2 for an upgrade if boon/bane is on your side this time. 

There's actually a science to this. Because some characters come in multiple star levels, you'd be (potentially) wasting a ton of feathers since the upgrade from 4* to 5* is huge.

Here's the list of 4* that have their own natural 5*
Red: Ogma, Cain, Corrin (male), Chrom, Caeda, Marth, Roy, Tiki, Tharja, Lilina
Blue: Abel, Effie, Catria, Peri, Nowi
Green: Camilla, Sheena, Hawkeye, Raven, Fae, Merric
Grey: Jeorge, Kagero, Jakob, Sakura, Maria

Anyone that comes out as a 3* also has a 4* version. So you can either upgrade from 3* to 4* then 4* to 5*, or just wait for 4* then go direct.

Based on your list, I'd take either Setsuna or Matthew up to 20 then upgrade them to 5*, since neither of those has a natural 5* you may full in the future.

While the above is a consideration, I'd consider it kind of false advice. You /could/ pull a 5 star of a unit you feathered in the future, but it's not anywhere near likely enough to count on, and even if you do, you get a choice between two different sets of boon/banes and get a +1 out of it anyway. Upgrading a worse unit just because the better one can be pulled as a 5 star doesn't help you.

Out of your options, I would say that your main options are Nowi, Cordelia, and Jeorge. Nowi and Cordelia are double blue, but they provide a different niche to Ephraim, so they aren't exclusive by any means, especially with green being rather rare outside of a few standout units. Jeorge is a strong ranged attacker with potential for a large AoE nuke, tough it charges rather slowly. All 3 are strong units in their own right and you can't really go wrong with any of them. After them, Tharja is your best option. She's a strong unit in her own right, and is a source of magic damage, which you lack. Double Red isn't as good as double blue against the current meta, however, and Nowi also provides magic damage, while being overall stronger as a unit compared to Tharja.

None of the others are particularly good choices. Roy is just worse than Lucina, and doesn't offer much to differentiate himself. Cecilia is magic damage, but both Tharja and Nowi are better choices due to her lack of speed and colourless units being able to counter her. Setsuna is a lot of utility packed into one unit, but it very specialized against dagger and bows, struggling against other unit types. Sakura, like all healers, kind of falls off in later game content, but she's still alright. As a healer, she'll do her job as a 4 star anyway, so upgrading her isn't worth it. And Matthew simply isn't all that great, he tries to be a ranged chip tank but just isn't as useful as most other dagger users.

None of your grey characters there are good/worth the feathers.

Its better to upgrade one of your other 4*s. If you manage to get lucky enough to get a 5* of a good 4* unit you already promoted, you can keep the one with better IVs, and then make it a +1 version. With frankly is better than having a 5* Matthew or whatnot.

None of them.  Your team lacks magic damage and range, so I'd go with Cecilia.  While Tharja is outright stronger, you'd need to completely redo your team if you want to make her shine.  Cecilia can fill the role of colorless nuke (though you'll want to use Robin the minute you get him).

Edited by eclipse

10 hours ago, flaredare911 said:

I've been lucky enough to get a 5 star Ephraim, Minerva, and Lucina. Therefore I have 1 of every color except grey in 5 star. I originally planned to upgrade Tharja, Nowi, Roy, Cecila, or Cordelia before I got my 5 stars but now I feel like I should upgrade a colorless unit to round out my team. Unfortunately the only color 4 star units I have are Setsuna, Sakura, Matthew, or Jeorge. Should I upgrade one of them? Or upgrade one of the better units I have to 5 star regardless of their color?

If you really want someone colorless I'd wait until you get someone a little better like Kagero to get her to 5 star cause she is definitely the best ninja/colorless there is. With the units you have I think you should wait until you get someone a little better to five star, right now I don't think it's necccesary. Always remember: one 5 star = ten 4 stars.

Edited by Arcanite

13 hours ago, eclipse said:

None of them.  Your team lacks magic damage and range, so I'd go with Cecilia.  While Tharja is outright stronger, you'd need to completely redo your team if you want to make her shine.  Cecilia can fill the role of colorless nuke (though you'll want to use Robin the minute you get him).

I definitely need range and magic would help wonders with armored units. I now have a 4 star Robin as well. You think he'd be the better unit to upgrade over Tharja and Cecilia? It'd be double blue, but at this point I'm probably looking at doubling a color anyway. Only reason I would consider Cecilia instead is because she has more movement. Jeorge was another consideration since he adds range and and an advantage against fliers. It's such a tough decision because It'll be ages before I save up enough feathers again. You ultimately recommend Robin though?

23 hours ago, TEHPWNZOR said:

That being said, Nowi and Cordelia are really good. Tharja is pretty good too but I'd consider those two 1st. Anyway, before upgrading anyone you should always check their boon/bane. Literally, if you considered upgrading Roy 1st but his boon/bane is really bad you might reconsider alternative 2 for an upgrade if boon/bane is on your side this time. 

How do you find out their boon and bane? My 4 star Cordelia is AMAZING but I wouldn't have any magic/range attackers if I upgraded her. Might have to save her as a replacement for Ephraim down the road. 

14 hours ago, Ether said:

After them, Tharja is your best option. She's a strong unit in her own right, and is a source of magic damage, which you lack. Double Red isn't as good as double blue against the current meta, however, and Nowi also provides magic damage, while being overall stronger as a unit compared to Tharja.

None of the others are particularly good choices. Roy is just worse than Lucina, and doesn't offer much to differentiate himself. Cecilia is magic damage, but both Tharja and Nowi are better choices due to her lack of speed and colourless units being able to counter her. 

Would my newly acquired Robin be the best option at this point?

8 minutes ago, flaredare911 said:

How do you find out their boon and bane? My 4 star Cordelia is AMAZING but I wouldn't have any magic/range attackers if I upgraded her. Might have to save her as a replacement for Ephraim down the road. 

You can see it once they're 4* level 20+, 5* level 1 or 5* level 40. Just Google IV Calculator for Fire Emblem Hereos. Type in their level 1 stats and you'll see their max level stats. For 4* just press unlock potential and you'll be able to see their 5* level 1 stats. 

Robin is about just as good as Nowi, he's a good anti-colourless unit, and is fairly bulky for a mage. They both do magic damage, so you could choose either. Robin is a more popular pick in the meta, but that partly stems from him having been an arena bonus unit(which he no longer is atm) and from being a more common roll. If range is a big consideration for you, then definitely go with Robin over Nowi. I will say that people here seem to really under-estimate Jeorge. He's a very powerful unit, and the only reason you don't see him everywhere is because of how ubiquitous Takumi is in the meta. Robin is likely still better for your purposes now that you have him, but people shouldn't be dissing Jeorge like that.

21 hours ago, flaredare911 said:

I definitely need range and magic would help wonders with armored units. I now have a 4 star Robin as well. You think he'd be the better unit to upgrade over Tharja and Cecilia? It'd be double blue, but at this point I'm probably looking at doubling a color anyway. Only reason I would consider Cecilia instead is because she has more movement. Jeorge was another consideration since he adds range and and an advantage against fliers. It's such a tough decision because It'll be ages before I save up enough feathers again. You ultimately recommend Robin though?

Yes, I recommend Robin.  He's relatively bulky, hits colorless for super-effective damage, and can do something to the glut of red 5* units (like the Falchion users).  Cecilia, sadly, is made of wet paper.