Fire Emblem VS Fire Emblem Fates

Hiro08

Fire Emblem(Gameboy) VS Fire Emblem Fates  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which game do you prefer?

• I like the original more, Ima go with Fire Emblem for the Gameboy
    • I like the newest game more, Ima go with Fire Emblem Fates

Fire Emblem for the Gameboy was the first Fire Emblem English title, now that the new games are announced let's first compare the first Fire Emblem game to latest 3DS game, Fire Emblem Fates. I know there are lots of old fans and lots of new ones. So let's see, which game do you like more? The first ever, or the newest?

In terms of gameplay I prefer fates. They have a refined complexity and superb map design. The gba games map design is good but in my opinion it still loses to the flood of interesting map mechanics in Conquest, not to mention the finally polished pair up and skills system. In terms of story, characters and world-building I prefer the older games, because I hate all that weeaboo shit being stuffed in a lion share of supports (thankfully, not all of them) as well as non-existent world-building and offensively stupid story.

FE 7 simply because of the better story.

While Fates has amazing gameplay, its horrid story and main cast are enough to make me dislike the game.

I'm going with Fates since my opinion on an FE game is mostly impacted by its gameplay and I could care less about the story. I find that Fates has better gameplay (Conquest especially).

I actually prefer FE7's gameplay over FE14's gameplay in the first place, and FE7's story is less offensive to me than the entirety of FE14.

Fates. I'll be right there hating on the game like everyone else because we need to be demanding better narratives from higher budge titles, but there's just so much more to offer in terms of gameplay. I can forgive a bad plot a million times over bad gameplay, and I can't really say 7 has that much of an edge in terms of story. It ends with one of my most hated endings for a certain character.

Plus there's offensively unskippable tutorials on your first playthrough. Lyn mode is so dull that dedicated players skip it like a bad habit in favor of hector hard mode. And the flawed means of attaining supports really stands out in this one compared to sacred stones. SS not only allows support grinding between maps, but the opportunity to save abuse if you want to 100% the log on your own time. Character balance is not very good, you're either Raven good or Dorcas bad. Your main lord's promotion comes too late. I'd appreciate a "I like both equally" option, but I'd still pick Fates.

I'd say Fates has better gameplay overall (obviously they had a lot of time and past games to build off of) but for story and characters, FE7 wins hands down. Fates will fade into a bad memory whereas Blazing Sword will always have a fond place in my heart. That said, I don't play either very extensively these days.

7 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

I actually prefer FE7's gameplay over FE14's gameplay in the first place, and FE7's story is less offensive to me than the entirety of FE14.

This, pretty much. While FE7 isn't my favorite game in the series, its story is miles better than Fates', and honestly I find Conquest's gameplay to be decent at best and FE7's to be more enjoyable overall.

Take a wild guess, I'll give you a hint starts with an F and ends with a 7. Who knew that my second favorite game of all time would be the one i'd pick, I certainly would not.

In all seriousness I actually do like Conquest a lot from gameplay perspective,  I believe it's number 4 right now on my top FE games (7, 9, 4, then 14 C, 10 = 6, 8 >> 14 R (by virtue of being slightly harder), 14 B, 12, 13, 11).  But it has quite the hill to climb for me and it didn't quite reach it's story and characters are simply horrible and many since systems that are highly flawed.  Also it doesn't help that I do not really like Birthright and Revelation even close to as much as Conquest. I would love it if anything could top 7 for me but nothing has, and until they hire competent writers nothing ever will  because if the story is garbage then it can never be better than 7, 9, and 4 imo.

Edited by Locke087