Fates~ A Year Later

Loki Laufeyson

How do you feel a year later?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still play and love Fates?

• Yee! Its some fun stuff and im still going strong with it!
    • No wai. I played it to hell and back. (or i just dont freaking like it.)
    • I am indifferent

So like, Fates has been out for a year in the West. In that year, theres been literal blood, sweat, and tears shed for this game in terms of discussion, acquiring it, and speculation about the future of the series. While FE's future is still a bit uncertain in terms of direction, IS seems pretty dead set on moving on. We didnt get that last wave of DLC for Fates. Other than Cipher cards and those specialty figurines, it seems like theres not much left of promoting Fates. I think that Corrin amiibo just isnt happening at this point. But you never know. What about you? Have you moved on? Do you still play the game and enjoy it? Has your opinions on the game(s), its characters, or anything relating to it changed in the last year? Sock it to me.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very indifferent to the game.

While I make out that I hate it, that's really only the plot that I despise with a passion. I don't really play the game much anymore (And now I feel bad for spending 120 euro on the SE), and I have not gotten any of the DLC. However, Fates has given us a lot of awesome characters, some of which are my favourites in the series like Sakura, Niles, Benny, Nyx and so on, new spins on old classes and some amazing gameplay that IMO rivals that of RD, which to date is my favourite in terms of gameplay.

Now that the honeymoon phase is over, a lot of the magic of Fates has worn off for me. Like Awakening, the more I played of it, and the more time I've had to reflect on it, the more I've realized how much of that game just rubs me the wrong way.

I still think it's a 100x better strategy game(All 3 versions) than Awakening, but some of the compromises they made to get there, and some of the mechanic changes, are things I would be fine with if they never came back. And splitting it up into 3 games I think was for the worse in the long run. Yeah, you get all sorts of crossover appeal, with Conquest being the hardcore strategy RPG old fans wanted, Birthright being the beefier Awakening for newcomers to the franchise, and Revelations being the bridge in between, but I think each campaign suffered to some degree due to having to split so much between the three games. It hurts the story telling of Fates, and I feel like we could have gotten one really tight, really cohesive game instead, and Fates would have been better off for it.

While it hasn't ruined my optimism for my the franchise(It reinvigorated it to some degree, knowing that IS can still put together compelling strategy scenarios that are just fun to think your way through), I think Fates soured me on the "Waifu Emblem" shit that I was indifferent to, and I really don't want to see another FE like it and Awakening ever again. Like. Ever ever. I might respect the games more in hindsight if we move away from it and they're looked at as the time IS threw everything at the wall to see what stuck, but I really don't want FE to continue in the direction that Fates is going.

So yeah. Right now, I'm indifferent.

Edited by Slumber

I began playing the game in June of 2015 (making me realize I'm on my way to becoming an old man), so I had pretty much stopped playing it for the most part when a lot of people here started picking it up. 

My opinions remain unchanged for the most part. Conquest has amazing gameplay, the music is stellar, several gameplay improvements are super welcome and I like a few characters very much, with some being among my favorites in the series. That being said, I still think this is the worst written game I've ever played and the things that can be praised in terms of writing pale in comparison to the sheer incompetence of the overall story. This game should serve as an example to the entire industry as to how you can mess up a good premise and how trying to appeal to too many people can have dire consequences for how the game is perceived.

Edited by Thane

Saying that I either love or hate it would imply I have some strong emotional attachment to it. I don't. I'm more or less indifferent to the game. 

I still play it now and again because I want to complete the support library, but, other than that, I only use it for reference for short stories and what-have-you. Of course, I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the game for what it was when it first came out or I didn't appreciate it for introducing some characters that moved on to become my favorites or I didn't like having some pretty awesome concepts for head!canon. Gameplay (of Conquest) was the best in years. Musical score was pretty good. Map design was great. The plot is something of a mess, however, and the way people flock to create head!canon out of dubious pieces of dialogue should be an indication of how much.

At this point, I'm ready for the newer FE game to released so we can move on from Fates and the shit storms it's brought about. 

I've certainly slowed down on it....

But I only have Birthright and am hoping they'll do another sale soon enough, as at the time I decided I wasn't getting the rest of the game when I'd only gotten Birthright in the previous week (I think it was that short a time). So no, for me it's been 3 months, after the fact Europe didn't get it until May. IMO the gameplay is nice, but I don't have much to mess around with at present.

Still replay Conquest often. It's right there with Blazing Sword as my "i want to play fire emblem, so i'll play it" game. It's really great.

Birthright and Revelation bore me nowadays. Definitely don't have any will to play them now.

Edited by Nobody

Still playing and still enjoying it~ the reclassing aspect has given the game replayability for me since it allows me to experiment with wacky unit + class combos which is always a lot of fun. 

I've been playing it for only seven months, but I still like it. Conquest is now among my favorite FEs, thanks to its gameplay and characters. I love replaying it, it's the most fun I've had with Fire Emblem.

While I don't regret getting the Special Edition, I gotta admit that's a lot of Fire Emblem at once. Almost too much. My experience of Birthright was hurt by starting it immediately after beating Conquest and how I kept constantly comparing them with each other. I can see myself returning to both paths in future, but I really need to take longer breaks in between them. I could live without Revelation. Just a few days ago I decided to stop playing it, at chapter 24. I felt so burned out by it.

I'm also pretty burned out by fandom nonsense and controversies after following Fates' Japanese release and early localization news so closely. I'd probably avoid all the Shadows of Valentia news if the gap between the Japanese and the Western release was any wider, heh.

i was really excited for fates when it was announced

i was trying to pick up every bit of information i could before it came out

it was a fun time

then the actual game came out and I played conquest to around chapter 20 and stopped because I realized that I was not enjoying the game

so yeah I kinda hate it

I played it; I had my fun. I put in about 200 hours. I enjoyed it more than a lot of people. But I've had my fill.

47 minutes ago, Carnation said:

I'd probably avoid all the Shadows of Valentia news if the gap between the Japanese and the Western release was any wider, heh.

Considering Siliconera had to disable comments on their article about SoV having only English VO, I'm scared we'll see another shitstorm go down over here between the Japanese and English release.

Ah, Fates. Definitely one of the games I was hyped for the most. I barely managed to pre-order the Special Edition, and I don't regret it in the slightest.

I was so excited to start playing it. I loved it. I started with Conquest first, since even though it definitely was the hardest of the three, it appealed to me more in terms of characters and story.

...a story that, unfortunately, was not that good. At all. But due to hype blinding me, I actually ENJOYED the story. At first. But as I took a hiatus from Fates some time during Revelation--and now that I am done with Fates entirely--I realized just how awful it was. It truly was nothing but wasted potential (and Corrin couldn't stop whining about how "so-and-so happened because I joined Nohr!!"). However, I still to this day rather like many of the characters. I still loved PLAYING it. The maps were definitely challenging, sure, but still a lot of fun. I spent over 100 hours on this route.

Birthright was okay. Definitely a lot easier than Conquest. Of course. But it was still fun. However, I didn't care much for the Hoshidan characters--or at least not as many. (and I actually dislike BR!Corrin more than CQ!Corrin). Or the story. Actually, Birthright's story I enjoyed even LESS than Conquest's. Unpopular opinion, I know.

...as I started to play through Revelation, however, I became bored. So much Fire Emblem back-to-back started to really tire me, and since I wanted all the kids and Support conversations between siblings/parents/royals, that required a lot of grinding. Grinding I didn't want to do. So I stopped playing for months before finally coming back to it at the end of last year. I got all the kids, but not the Support conversations I was planning on. At this point, I didn't care. I just wanted to be DONE with Fates. Oh, yeah. And Revelation's story wasn't all that amazing, either.

...overall, though. I still don't regret buying this game. I had fun with it--Conquest especially, and even Birthright. I could probably see myself coming back to at least Conquest...juuust not anytime soon. There are many more games I'm currently playing which will take me quite some time.

And even with Fates's shortcomings, I'm still looking forward to FE Switch. Let's just hope there isn't a whole lot of wasted potential in that one, yeah?

Anyway, sorry if it seemed like I was rambling a lot. Or ranting. I just wanted to give how I experienced playing Fates in...sort of detail. xP

I am still playing to unlock all supports, and I'll probably play through each route properly again, but I'm in no rush. I stop for a few months before playing a lot for a week or two, and so on and so forth.

I made the mistake of starting with Conquest, which was really enjoyable, then Birthright and finally Revelation. Each subsequent route was worse than the previous one. While I'll probably play Conquest a lot more than the other two, each route had such a poor story that I can't stop having negative feelings anytime I think about Fates. A good story, or a least one that can stand on it's own two feet, is so important to me that I simply can't ignore it, which in turn really sucks if it's subpar. The DLC is a shame as well, the marriage, children and dialogue are even more superfluous than Awakening.

But the worst thing of all, is that Fates was made with cold calculation. It doesn't feel like any love was put into it. A checklist game will stand out for all the wrong reasons.

That being said, Fates also did a few things very well. Namely, the gameplay and the music (I bought the soundtracks for Awakening and Fates). Those two aspects alone make Fates a fantastic game to play. I think this is proof enough that Intelligent Systems is able to improve itself and make good games. Fates may be a bittersweet entry to the Fire Emblem franchise (Fates leans more towards bitter OR sweet for me, depending on the day) but I think the future of Fire Emblem is still bright.

9 minutes ago, spiderbrush said:

(and I actually dislike BR!Corrin more than CQ!Corrin). Or the story. Actually, Birthright's story I enjoyed even LESS than Conquest's. Unpopular opinion, I know.

I agree with you on both points, actually, for various reasons. We just have to avoid the angry mobs who want to burn us at the stake for such heresy ;):

Edit: This poll is very interesting, so far no one hates Fates.

Edited by Slyfox

I haven't played it in a while, mainly for three reasons: 1. University. 2. For Honor. 3. FE Heroes. So it isn't really the game's fault (though I do admit that, instead of 2nd gen units, they should have spent the time and effort refining the story instead, and that I might still be playing it if the story had been as good as I thought it would be). I really thought the plot would be great. The trailers put such an emphasis on the ambitious plot that I thought it was going to be really good.

Edited by vanguard333

I still play it and it's a lot of fun. Gameplay is spectacular, and my goal is to get nearly all the supports.

But I voted for indifference because I've been playing others, and it's starting to get slightly repetitive. But it's still a lot of fun whenever I do play it.

So its time for me to chime in on me own thread. 

Honestly, im still enjoying it. But the thing is, i put the game down for a  long time. I spent most of the first half of 2016 playing Fates and since i had the Special Edition, i didnt have to wait for anything (other than people online gettin' gud skillz lmao) so i just went at it. The story was mediocre to bad, but honestly, i just didnt fucking care cuz i was having a good time playing the game(s) and the characters were enjoyable for me. Coming back to Fates after letting it sit for like 7 months or something, i find that theres still plenty here for me to enjoy. Conquest is my favorite route because of the maps and characters. I dont NEED the story to have fun with it, so i just push start and play the maps. Plus, the visuals and the music are just, yes please. Thing is, my opinion of one of the paths has changed in the past year. 

Revelation. Like, at first it was "oh this is a huge cast party wheeeeee look at the love and the togetherness and whatever! Wheeeee" now its like  "I must really consider whether or not its a good idea to play this route." And i often find myself saying that no, it is not worth it. The maps of Revelation are fun first run through, but on subsequent runs, they are tedium incarnate. The final leg of the journey, literally nothing happens. You just have Corn and company chasing this Obviously Not Trustworthy wet shit around Valla for a while. Once thats over, its "oh lets have unnecessary and cheap feels moments with zombie fam members." Ummm...and then all the sudden its GUNTER IS THE MOLE and then battling wannabe Lovecraftian Horror in a weird world. Its just...really bad. Its still fun for min max/optimization reasons and the cast party for pairing Hoshidan peeps with Nohr guys and the hilarity that ensues. But i gotta really think hard and long if i ever want to replay Revelation again. 

As for the other two routes, yeah its fine. Ill probably be replaying those hella as the years wear on. Birthright was alright, its story was only mediocre (compared to the bad of the other two. Rev is the worst of the lot tho) and has some ok moments. Plus the uniqueness of the music, visuals, and classes make me wanna to return to it a few times. Conquest is just great fun still. 

I always like the gameplay, and always hated the story, but I'm mostly indifferent to it now. I have a big gaming backlog and more important things like studying and cleaning so when it comes to using my limited time, I prefer to spend it on other things these days. I'm eager to hear some news about FE Switch.

My strong dislike for the game has transitioned from frothing rage to a cooled disowning of it. I will say that for all the headache and heartache the game gave me, I at least got a kick out of seeing others express their disbelief of the game (in real life, where not a single gamer I know personally bought the game for various reasons regardless of proximity to my FE preferences). I turned Fates' OST into a weekly game of "dissect this poor orchestration and motivic development" among my composition classmates. Trying to piece together a way to fix the abomination of a narrative was also fun, even if it came at the caveat of the narrative being a swiss cheese plot.

At least other people were able to enjoy it. Unfortunately, I can't be counted among them.

I actually played the Japanese version of the game first, so I was burned out on Fates by the time it released in the U.S. But playing the U.S. release just reinforced my issues with the game, story, and characters anyway. Haven't played either the Japanese or English version in ... I don't know, about half a year or so?

While my dislike for the game has cooled at this point, I still don't like it much and it's still my least favorite FE game and I still have the same problems with it as I did some months ago. Just not as vocal about it anymore.

8 minutes ago, Party Moth said:

I turned Fates' OST into a weekly game of "dissect this poor orchestration and motivic development" among my composition classmates.

What did you not like about about the OST? Among the sea of games out there, the Fates OST is comfortably above the average quality of video game music (and not just video games honestly)

Perhaps the OST isn't all that consistent, and some tracks fall flat. That's really all I can think of.

And what do you think about the Awakening OST, which I consider overall superior to the one in Fates.

I'd say some of my favorite composers are Yuzo Koshiro, Michiru Yamane and Yoko Kanno. Although, that list would be longer if I added people from around the world.

I am indifferent, since I imported the Japanese version so beating all paths of lunatic for the Japanese and English versions kind of got all of the hype out of my system. Still doing support grinding in this game though.

I most definitely have moved on from it after I played each route on vanilla and did a new file after homebrewing my 3ds. I haven't seriously played it since Pokemon Sun/Moon was released.

I'm mostly burned out from the shitstorms about it (both rumors/telephone over jpn release and localization), I still managed to look forward to it despite that because I spoiled myself to make sure I wanted to buy it/knew what I was getting into.

I was pretty pissy about a lot of things in the game itself but I've chilled out since the last year, my overall view that "It's okay"/"I liked all three routes for what they were but I personally wouldn't recommend it" still stands.

Edited by Gyges

I love Fates. Despite agreeing with its critics (including just about everything Thane says re. story) I think it's super fun. I've put hundreds of hours into it and spent hundreds of dollars on Fates merchandise, oops. I skip the story scenes when I replay the paths, which tells me how fun the gameplay must be, because often I play games *for* the stories. 

I'm really upset that IS appears to have abandoned it so quickly. :(

Edited by Res