Worst arena maps

Korath88

After 3 seasons of the arena, which maps do you feel are the worst to play on?

Personally, the bridge map and lava map from this season are some of the worst, being skewed in favour of ranged units(Takumi) and making repositioning very hard. Then there's the diagonal split map from last season that separates your party to opposite corners. Who thought that was a good idea?

Alternatively, which maps are your Favourite to play on?

I hate that map that starts both sides behind breakable walls in a single file.  It makes it impossible to reposition on the first turn, and I always seem to start in the worst possible spots.

Diagonal split map is the bane of my existence. I tend to work well if my squad starts together since they have a bunch of boosts they all like to attach to each other and I run Olivia for reposition, so it sucks extra in that map. It's also very hard to manipulate the AI into going in the direction you want them to short of having to just eat the counter.

Incidentally I do quite well on the lava map, since I can just Robin nuke the shit out of incoming reds at will across the lava.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I have the worse luck ... In the fire map...

Like...

========

| |
========

| |
========
   | |      | |

worse map alive.

Edited by Ryuke

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

I have the worst win rate on the bridge map.  Completely screws over a lot of repositioning.

Honorable mention to the lava map.  Ugh.

I love the lava map. position effie in a choke point and as enemy physical units pour in she soaks all damage. i will say if the enemy has a robin or any other mage i have to trap him or her and really think harder but it is rewarding if you are able to get the ai into your trap

36 minutes ago, Shiro said:

I love the lava map. position effie in a choke point and as enemy physical units pour in she soaks all damage. i will say if the enemy has a robin or any other mage i have to trap him or her and really think harder but it is rewarding if you are able to get the ai into your trap

I use the lava map to kill enemy Effies, but that's about it.  Crowning moment IMO was when Sakura solo'd Effie.

I actually don't mind the split map, but the number one map I hate is probably the one that has a bunch of water tiles in a mosaic pattern right in front of your spawn, and then two brick blocks in the middle. The bricks actually give me the advantage most of the time I think, but those water tiles are extremely annoying. They force me to funnel units into two paths, essentially hoping the AI does what I want it to do. I don't lose all the time on there, but my worst losses are definitely on that map.

This is really funny to read.  I have Cordelia (with max attack) so I often prefer the split maps and mountains since I can fly over water and pick off  Takumi and other ranged units.  What bothers me are the hard corridor maps like the one with all the pillars and a few water tiles.  I get funneled hard on that map and have to very carefully bait to keep everyone alive.  Often times I use Eirika to buff from behind and then pivot over a damaged unit to block attacks on that stupid map.  Its always a nail biter.

Ironically wide open maps can also give me a bit of trouble (the map with nothing but breakable walls.  As the enemy doesn't like to split up and will sometimes end up blobbed in the middle.. which usually ends with a death.

I hate the lava map and the map where practically every other spot is either a wall or water tile. The split map is great if the enemy units match nicely with my units as I can bait them and basically annihilate them on turn 1., otherwise I usually end up losing 1 unit. 

I actually love the lava map, but I have Robin. If the enemy team has a bunch of reds or Takumi, they almost always rush out to where Robin can just snipe them from across the lava (or in Takumi's case, bait him without any other units getting in the way). I also run Draug, so although it's kind of difficult to move him into position, he can sit at chokepoints really easily.

I haven't had the map with the two bridges very much, but I didn't like it when I got it. The one with the mountain range where your units are split is manageable since you can at least regroup and bait one of the enemy pairs into chasing one of your units around the mountain into a trap, but the map in which your units are split into pairs on opposite corners of the map? Regrouping is too difficult and I almost always seem to get at least three, sometimes all four of the enemies rushing after one pair, and they get overwhelmed. It's no fun when you've got an armored unit to lug around and he has no chance of getting away from the mages. Ugh.

I like the Lava map, I have Tharja, I can usually kill or at least dent whatever comes my way, so I might be a bit biased.

The maps I hate are the two bridges, I can never reposition myself well, or the one where both parties are split between a wall, in which it's hard to find a good way to position myself.

I highly dislike the Lava Map, but then again my main team is Melee based, so there you go.

Also, I normally don't mind the Split Up maps, but with the latest Arena I may need to reconfigure my team slots so Ryoma can be paired with a healer. Right now I put him in the middle of my team so I can take advantage of his Spur SPD, but he is still the best unit I have and if I lose him, I tend to lose the match.

I got at least three times the same map today in the arena, where both you start behind bricks with plains in the middle. Then twice the one with the water tiles and pillar which is tough to position with so i'm a bit sick of them >_>

My least favorite is probably one with this layout (x= your units y= enemy units)

y                      x
y                      x

x                     y
x                     y

You could have two sword users and someone with Robin and Takumi on the opposite side chasing you and you're cornered by the other enemies. It causes a lot of problems especially if you can't plan out your units starting positions.

For people who get messed up by the split map, you should really take that map into account when deciding the order of your team members. It's something you can manipulate out of the fight, and there's honestly no advantage that you can get from the other maps in this season that outweighs setting up for the split map properly.

Definitively the one where your team and the enemy's one are set apart behind walls.

I don't hate the Lava orthe Pillars&Water cause it's where my Merric shines (though I sometimes have to rely on cowardly "running around the lava/water spots" methods to win... :s )

14 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

For people who get messed up by the split map, you should really take that map into account when deciding the order of your team members. It's something you can manipulate out of the fight, and there's honestly no advantage that you can get from the other maps in this season that outweighs setting up for the split map properly.

Agree with that, especially if your team has 2 units with the same color or weakness.

I actually love the split map. My usually comp is Roy, Azura, Shanna, and Cecilia, so a dancer a flier and a horse unit might have something to do with it. I usually struggle with the lava map and I'm only about 50% on the map with the breakable blocks in a line. Lucina always seems to be on that team, and mine is set up to be versatile and doesn't deal well with straight up shots back and forth.