Unfitting VAs

After hearing a good amount of the Fire Emblem Heroes cast's VAs, older characters now have new voices to represent them. But some aren't as fitting as others. For example I think they really nailed Cecilia's VA. Nice and Mature, mostly how I imagined it. But some, like Lilina, aren't how I pictured them at all. Lilina was supposed to have a kind soft voice, but in Heroes she has a high squeaky voice. Maybe I am the only one who feels this way... but if anyone does feel similarly, which character do you feel this about and why?

Also, is it me, or is Travis Willingham doing a MUCH deeper voice for Lon'qu than he did in Awakening? Cause whatever he is doing I don't like it either. Same goes for Karen Strassmen and Olivia. She delivers her voice more like she did with Nanako in P4, which is a great voice, just not Olivia's semi maturish voice.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't know about Lon'qu or Olivia since I don't use them. Lilina's voice isn't too different from my expectations. Perhaps a bit squeakier than I thought, but it's in the general area.

Overall, I love the voice cast, with only a couple standing out to me as eyebrow-rising.

There's Raigh, in which Sam Riegel sounds way too old, and Peri, where I think Cindy Robinson went overboard on the "cutesy" thing.

2 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

The only thing I can think of isn't even Heroes. Someone on another site said male Kana sounded like an old lady and omg, cannot unhear.

That's far from the truth. Male Kana may not have the best voice, but saying he sounds like an old lady is a huge overexaggeration.

I agree that Lilina's sounds a bit strange. It has a similar quality to Sharena's voice, which I also sometimes find annoying. I would say that Marth's voice -- while it isn't bad -- isn't what I expected him to sound like. I guess I was expecting somebody who sounded more ... wise.

Also, who made the decision to give Tiki a British accent? I'm still caught off guard every time I hear either of them say a line.

lilina's isn't like what I expected at all either

it's way cuter oh my god lilina is adorable I love her so much

anyway the voice acting for characters that didn't previously have voices was pretty much the only reason I was actually really excited for this game because i'm dumb and get excited about things like that and it did not disappoint although I guess there are some I didn't really like

lyn's is okay but not really anything like i thought she'd sound???? but it's alright

the weirdest one for me though is palla. she's supposed to be the oldest of the whitewings and the kind motherly one but she sounds way too young (catria actually sounds older than her????). still alright but I really wish her voice was different

caeda's is a bit odd too but still decent overall

i really want serra but i don't have her yet so i've only heard her in battles in stuff but her voices seems like it's deeper than i'd expect??? but maybe when she actually talks she sounds different

aside from that I don't really like marth's voice but that's about it for voices I didn't like

Edited by unique

I think i was a little iffy on Gaius and Takumi
but i don't have takumi so it's from the small clips i heard outside of heroes
and shareena? I wasn't expecting squeaky but whatever i'll get used to it

6 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

There's Raigh, in which Sam Riegel sounds way too old…

Yeah, I'd agree with that, although I think half of the problem is also that his artwork being done by the Etrian Odyssey official artist makes him look even younger than in his original official artwork. To the voice casters' credit, I do think that's about what Raigh would sound like at an age where his voice would've gotten that deep, at least.

I also didn't really like the voice casting for Lyn very much… It sounds too high-pitched and, like… not quite the right attitude, I guess? I guess I'd imagine her voice sounding more like Caitlin Glass's performance as Winry Rockbell. I mean, not that exact personality, but like, that sort of pitch of voice.

15 minutes ago, Fly_or_Die said:

I agree that Lilina's sounds a bit strange. It has a similar quality to Sharena's voice, which I also sometimes find annoying. I would say that Marth's voice -- while it isn't bad -- isn't what I expected him to sound like. I guess I was expecting somebody who sounded more ... wise.

Also, who made the decision to give Tiki a British accent? I'm still caught off guard every time I hear either of them say a line.

I don't think that was the intention. That's just how Mela Lee sounds like most of the time.

20 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

That's far from the truth. Male Kana may not have the best voice, but saying he sounds like an old lady is a huge overexaggeration.

Well idk...it wasn't me who originally thought it after all. I'm just saying I can see the point. He's raspy and kinda high pitched. 

Agreed on Raigh, he sounds older than he looks.

1 minute ago, unique said:

mela lee is not british

No, but she has a very....how should I say this...a very posh way of talking. You look at the majority of her roles in anime and such and she kind of has that same tone in most of them.

Liam O'Brien isn't too different. He often has a very feax-British tone in many of his roles as well.

I found Hector's voice a bit unexpected.  It's not bad per se, and it would be perfect for Old Hector from FE6, but I think FE7 Hector is supposed to be 17 or 18, and I had always expected his voice to be a lot more youthful.

I can see tiki sounding sorta british; I guess they were shooting for 'wise'.

Anyways, I can really only really have qualms with awakening and fates, since they're the only ones i've played :(

Out of the heroes I've obtained;

• Olivia is a bit higher, but still quiet... It's reminding me of Fluttershy. (I should not babysit as much as I do.)
  • Niles seems... off. Can't exactly pin point what though.
  • Donnel's was good, but it felt just a touch soft.
  • Virion. Why does he sound like Dracula? lol.
  • Henry sounds, a bit younger than he did in awakening... At least the optimism was caught well.
  • On the other hand, some VA's did a spectacular job;

• Sully. Yeah, she was spot on
  • Azama sounded almost the same in Fates
  • Takumi. I like the intonations on his lines; feels like a well rounded character (even more so now). More personable, in a sense.
  • Hinata feel very... Hinata.
  • Lissa was well done.
  • Honourable mention;

Laslow. Though it seems off, it was close. It's good considering a different VA voiced him in Heroes.

3 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Raigh sounds way past puberty.  The kid's 13, he should more than likely be right in the middle of it...

That's the only thing that really stuck out to me though.

Raigh didn't bug me too much. Since I haven't played the game he's in I can't really criticize either. It is a bit deep for a child (VA sounds like he tried, but the youngest sounding he got out of it was 15 at best XD), but really every guy's voice deepens at a different time. My brother's voice deepened significantly when he was 13.

I feel that Seliph and Ephraim would fit better if they switched VA's. Seliph sounds a bit low and Ephraim a bit high.

Narcian sounds a bit too masculine.

And... that's it. I generally play with the sound off. Julie Maddalena as Sharena seemed unfitting at first, but I'm used to it at this point.

Raigh and Roy both sound way too old. Lucina always sounded bland and boring to me. Adult Tiki's voice is plain weird. And Minerva's grunts sound like she thinks she's a jungle cat. And Effie's voice always sounded too forcibly deep and it just doesn't work for her. But this is really more a complaint about her design than anything, because she's meant to be a very strong and tough woman, yet her design doesn't look like it at all. She doesn't look strong at all with those skinny arms and legs. Her face looks as feminine and delicate as a lot of other typical females in this series. When I think of a tough strong woman, I think of someone like Echidna or Flavia, not Effie.

Otherwise, nobody's voice really bothers me much.

Edited by Anacybele

Roy, Roy, and Roy. Also Raigh a little bit. But did I mention Roy? Because holy jeez I can't think of a more egregious instance of 'anime kid who was clearly VA'd by an adult'-- Isn't Roy supposed to be like 13? Because he sounds like 30. I dunno what exactly I was expecting, maybe something along the lines of Pit's voice in KI:U / SSB4...? But hell, I'd at least expect the VA to TRY to pretend to do a kid voice. Raigh is a similar situation, just not quite as bad.

But jeezus. Roy so much.

2 hours ago, Fly_or_Die said:

@ Marth yeah, I could see something that's kinda deeper and softer rather than just high-pitched. I suppose it's more or less in line with his JP Smash voice, at least.

For Tiki, she sort of had a slightly English inflection to her VA work before IIRC (thinking of lines like 'guess what'), though granted there wasn't a lot to get it from... And while some of her lines like 'not a step closer' and 'this might get unpleasant' aren't as good as they were in Awakening, the voice is still pretty good IMO. Also I frickin' love her snarls for her attacking clips... s-so cool... I may or may not have a bit of a monster/dragon-girl kink don't shame me

48 minutes ago, Smog said:

I expected Narcian to have a similar voice to Gangrel. Instead, he ends up sounding as if Odin was a Butler instead of a Dark Mage. 

I could definitely see that as well, but his seems fitting enough to me. Seeing as he's kind of a pampered blowhard though, the snooty voice seems appropriate, haha.

EDIT: Agree about Effie, but that's pretty much always been the case with the asynchronosity between her voice and design shrug.

Edited by BANRYU

Laslow being one of my favorite characters in the series, I am just so sad that Liam O'Brien doesn't voice him in Heroes. Mick Wingert's Laslow isn't bad, but obviously not as good.

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

I found Hector's voice a bit unexpected.  It's not bad per se, and it would be perfect for Old Hector from FE6, but I think FE7 Hector is supposed to be 17 or 18, and I had always expected his voice to be a lot more youthful.

Chrom and Ike are also teenage lords (to start at least) and their voices are pretty deep, too. In the case of Chrom, I did not know he was so young for a long time because Mercer and Sugita both have deep voices that I don't initially imagine for teenagers.

Just now, twistedxgrace said:

Laslow being one of my favorite characters in the series, I am just so sad that Liam O'Brien doesn't voice him in Heroes. Mick Wingert's Laslow isn't bad, but obviously not as good.

Chrom and Ike are also teenage lords (to start at least) and their voices are pretty deep, too. In the case of Chrom, I did not know he was so young for a long time because Mercer and Sugita both have deep voices that I don't initially imagine for teenagers.

They're a little deep, but still pretty youthful sounding, especially Ike.

How did this thread go on for so long without any mention of Raven, I mean damn. His voice actor, despite what he's most famous for in anime, is exceptionally bad at playing angsty/edgy characters and his angsty/edgy voice for Raven is hilariously bad and unfitting. Dude sounds like a kid trying to sound cool and grown up.

If this voice had to be in the game it would've been more fitting for Raigh, probably.