Effy - Hopes and Expectations

I hope she's more than the token female in a group of males. Do something with her (that isn't just a forced love interest for another member) and not have be their just so they can avoid criticism about Alm's sausage fest of a group. In terms of gameplay, just be useful.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see Effy being Cliff's sister. Also she could be "stronger" than Cliff and that she joins Alm to save Zofia and to protect her brother. Since Gray married Clair, she could marry Tobin.

Gameplay wise, I can see her getting different classes from the male villagers. 

She would probably have the female Mage class allowing her to have a different promotion from the males. The other exclusives could be Priest/Cleric and the Pegasus Knight class.

Since FE1/11, FE2, FE3/12 Mercenaries are a male only class, I can see her being able to promote into a Myrmidon and the Myrmidon class being a class added in the game like in FE11/FE12.

I could see her being a glass canon so she would have a good Speed and Power/Strength and a poor Defense.

43 minutes ago, Thunderstar said:

I could see Effy being Cliff's sister. Also she could be "stronger" than Cliff and that she joins Alm to save Zofia and to protect her brother. Since Gray married Clair, she could marry Tobin.

Gameplay wise, I can see her getting different classes from the male villagers. 

She would probably have the female Mage class allowing her to have a different promotion from the males. The other exclusives could be Priest/Cleric and the Pegasus Knight class.

Since FE1/11, FE2, FE3/12 Mercenaries are a male only class, I can see her being able to promote into a Myrmidon and the Myrmidon class being a class added in the game like in FE11/FE12.

I could see her being a glass canon so she would have a good Speed and Power/Strength and a poor Defense.

I am not sure if there will be a Myrmidon class in this game considering the fact that mercenaries were the only generic sword specialty units (excluding Villagers).

I hope they do add in new classes, though.

Edited by Leif

4 minutes ago, Leif said:

I am not sure if there will be a Myrmidon class in this game considering the fact that mercenaries were the only generic sword specialty units (excluding Villagers).

I hope they add new classes, of course.

Myrmidons didn't exist in Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem until their respective remakes, so there's a chance we'll see more classes than what was in Gaiden.

I think in regards to what @Thunderstar said about mages, it could be a branching promotion for both genders; either sage or priest from the mage class.  I mean technically, villagers already have a branching promotion in this game, so you might get other branching promotions as well.

1 hour ago, I'm a Spheal said:

I hope she's more than the token female in a group of males. Do something with her (that isn't just a forced love interest for another member) and not have be their just so they can avoid criticism about Alm's sausage fest of a group. In terms of gameplay, just be useful.

I always hate when devs do things for the sake of filling a quota without putting further thought into it.  I'm hoping that for Efi and any other new characters, they'll put some actual effort into making them actual characters instead of just numbers with half-baked writing and stats.

10 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I always hate when devs do things for the sake of filling a quota without putting further thought into it.  I'm hoping that for Efi and any other new characters, they'll put some actual effort into making them actual characters instead of just numbers with half-baked writing and stats.

Meh, Fire Emblem is actually the perfect series for quotas. What's a Fire Emblem game without the token myrmidon, token pegasus knight trio, token knight, etc.? If Effy doesn't have any character development at all, I wouldn't care, because her addition as a female villager is already freakin' awesome.

btw the original Gaiden had pretty much zero character development for any of the villagers. The dialogue we're seeing in cut-scenes and stuff in the remake is brand new. so you probably shouldn't worry. they've gone all out to actually make these characters round.

Edited by bufkus

12 hours ago, Thunderstar said:

Since FE1/11, FE2, FE3/12 Mercenaries are a male only class, I can see her being able to promote into a Myrmidon and the Myrmidon class being a class added in the game like in FE11/FE12

The Mercenary line in Gaiden is basically a primitive version of the Myrmidon line as it is. Alm fills the role of the 'Hero' in this game, much like Ike. Mercenary promotes into the 'Sword Fighter' class, which is effectively just Myrmidon with Hero graphics... and then it promotes again into Dread Fighter, which is basically Swordmaster before Swordmaster was a thing.

To put it another way, Mercenary/Hero/(Vanguard?) and Myrmidon/Swordmaster/Trueblade can't really co-exist in Gaiden for the same reason they don't co-exist in Tellius: Alm and Ike already fill that role. The main difference between here and Tellius is that instead of Myrmidon picking up the slack entirely, the two ideas just sorta fuse from the second tier onward.

28 minutes ago, Iridium said:

The Mercenary line in Gaiden is basically a primitive version of the Myrmidon line as it is. Alm fills the role of the 'Hero' in this game, much like Ike. Mercenary promotes into the 'Sword Fighter' class, which is effectively just Myrmidon with Hero graphics... and then it promotes again into Dread Fighter, which is basically Swordmaster before Swordmaster was a thing.

To put it another way, Mercenary/Hero/(Vanguard?) and Myrmidon/Swordmaster/Trueblade can't really co-exist in Gaiden for the same reason they don't co-exist in Tellius: Alm and Ike already fill that role. The main difference between here and Tellius is that instead of Myrmidon picking up the slack entirely, the two ideas just sorta fuse from the second tier onward.

Spoiler

I am just really curious to know what class this is. It's supposed to be Geyse (top right in the video) the boss of Celica's desert chapter. He's supposed to be a dread fighter, but his overworld sprite is a bit chaotic. I can't really see what it is.

I bring this up because I wonder if they really are keeping the old class system and following it to a "T".

4 hours ago, Leif said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I am just really curious to know what class this is. It's supposed to be Geyse (top right in the video) the boss of Celica's desert chapter. He's supposed to be a dread fighter, but his overworld sprite is a bit chaotic. I can't really see what it is.

I bring this up because I wonder if they really are keeping the old class system and following it to a "T".

Geyse is a Dread Fighter.
Also for what it's worth, Awakening and Fates' decision to give the class high resistance actually corresponds to what they were like in Gaiden-- they have 15 base resistance compared to 11 base defense.

26 minutes ago, iavasechui said:

...If Alm's army is getting a new villager does that mean Celica's army will be getting a new character too?

It probably means we'll be getting a few new characters.  I mean, I'm definitely not expecting ten, but I think around two or four is a good number to expect.

Though I don't think we'll be getting very many more villagers since five is already quite a large number of trainee-type characters.

On 2/22/2017 at 0:31 PM, bufkus said:

Meh, Fire Emblem is actually the perfect series for quotas. What's a Fire Emblem game without the token myrmidon, token pegasus knight trio, token knight, etc.? If Effy doesn't have any character development at all, I wouldn't care, because her addition as a female villager is already freakin' awesome.

btw the original Gaiden had pretty much zero character development for any of the villagers. The dialogue we're seeing in cut-scenes and stuff in the remake is brand new. so you probably shouldn't worry. they've gone all out to actually make these characters round.

I guess that's just a difference in opinions, though I'm not sure if you mean that those that you listed are tokens so much as tropes.  Like, how is the pegasus knight trio a "token"?  There're three of them!  That's about as non-token as a class can get in this series.  I know Efi is token because she's the only female villager among a pool of five villagers, and she's (probably) the only female character in Alm's initial gang.

And I'm well aware that Gaiden had little character development.  So did Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem.  Everyone craps on the DS Shadow Dragon remake for not adding supports or whatever, but I played through it and enjoyed it well enough.  Really, if Echoes is more the same, I can't complain.  It is a remake, after all.

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

It probably means we'll be getting a few new characters.  I mean, I'm definitely not expecting ten, but I think around two or four is a good number to expect.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did add at least ten, since Gaiden has one of the smallest playable casts in the series at 32. Especially if they revamp the class system to add more classes.

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

Though I don't think we'll be getting very many more villagers since five is already quite a large number of trainee-type characters.

I was going to say "but there are only four with Effy" and then I remembered that Atlas exists.

10 hours ago, AzureSen said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did add at least ten, since Gaiden has one of the smallest playable casts in the series at 32. Especially if they revamp the class system to add more classes.

I hope so, it would add something else a bit new to the game - if they did this though I would hope for quite diverse classes, personalities, appearances and definitely slightly more new female classes because I feel Gaiden lacks a gender balance. To be honest as long as the characters they add have personalities as great as the Awakening characters then I will be happy :)

By the way, did Gaiden have support conversations? Even if they exclude marriage I think its nice to have just C-A supports to learn more about each character and what they are like

37 minutes ago, Hoshidokoala said:

By the way, did Gaiden have support conversations? Even if they exclude marriage I think its nice to have just C-A supports to learn more about each character and what they are like

There were no support conversations, and pretty much every character aside from Alm, Celica and a few others like Mycen only spoke like once or twice.

My biggest hope writing-wise is that they add at least some support conversations, base conversations or more dialogue in-between chapters. It would feel like a massive step backwards to go back to a system where you hardly learned anything about the characters. Of course, we've seen Saber with new lines in the main story, so I'm sure they'll add at least some new text (which is good, because Gaiden's script is short).

5 hours ago, BlueBloodEmblazer said:

I've heard some people speculating that she's an avatar. Think about it, white hair, a flexible class, who knows?

Most likely not. With both Fates and Awakening, they showed screenshots with both a male and female version of the avatar character. Plus, Effy isn't a gender neutral name. 

Edited by Leif

On 2/27/2017 at 0:49 PM, BlueBloodEmblazer said:

I've heard some people speculating that she's an avatar. Think about it, white hair, a flexible class, who knows?

I think we'd know if we're getting an Avatar by now.

Actually, I'm speculating they'll give us some of the freedoms we had with avatar units super-imposed onto Alm and Celica. Supports, classing, stats.

Everything but the hair.

9 hours ago, Altrosa said:

Everything but the hair.

Their hair already looks pretty nice, so the option isn't really necessary, in my opinion.

A bit late to the party - but as a not-so-proud Greek I can confirm that Effi (Or Efi most commonly in Greek) is indeed a name. 

And also the past form of a verb in ancient Greek meaning "said" IIRC. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2017 at 8:59 PM, Ertrick36 said:

I guess that's just a difference in opinions, though I'm not sure if you mean that those that you listed are tokens so much as tropes.  Like, how is the pegasus knight trio a "token"?  There're three of them!  That's about as non-token as a class can get in this series.  I know Efi is token because she's the only female villager among a pool of five villagers, and she's (probably) the only female character in Alm's initial gang.

And I'm well aware that Gaiden had little character development.  So did Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem.  Everyone craps on the DS Shadow Dragon remake for not adding supports or whatever, but I played through it and enjoyed it well enough.  Really, if Echoes is more the same, I can't complain.  It is a remake, after all.

Token or trope, it doesn't matter, and it's kind of disgusting that your sole complaint is that she's female. Really? If it was a new male villager you probably wouldn't have batted an eye.

There doesn't need to be a requirement that IntSys can only add a new female character if they provided her with sufficient character development and backstory, even though said requirements aren't necessary for male characters. That's just idiotic.

Edited by bufkus

13 minutes ago, bufkus said:

Token or trope, it doesn't matter, and it's kind of disgusting that your sole complaint is that she's female. Really? If it was a new male villager you probably wouldn't have batted an eye.

There doesn't need to be a requirement that IntSys can only add a new female character if they provided her with sufficient character development and backstory, even though said requirements aren't necessary for male characters. That's just idiotic.

Look at the descriptions for each of the villagers we got from the official website.  I'll post them here in spoilers for ease of access:

Spoiler

Gray
Initial class: Villager
Voice actor: Kishō Taniyama

A childhood friend of Alm’s who lives in Ram Village. Has an aloof personality. Since he was born in a merchant family he’s chatty and well informed. Along with Alm, he joined the Deliverance.

Tobin
Voice actor: Atsushi Abe

A childhood friend of Alm’s who lives in Ram Village. He’s the eldest son of a big family and fights for the Deliverance to earn money. He’s straightforward, simple and serious, but terrible at reading the mood.

Kliff
Voice actor: Mitsuki Saiga

A childhood friend of Alm’s who lives in Ram Village. Loves reading books and studying history, and acts surprisingly maturely for his age. Because he was interested in seeing the world, he joined the Deliverance.

Faye
Voice actor: Atsumi Tanezaki

A childhood friend of Alm’s who lives in Ram Village. Has admired Alm ever since childhood. She joined the Deliverance to keep close to Alm.

The male villagers have more fleshed out personalities in their descriptions than Faye does.  What kind of family does she have?  What are her interests aside from Alm?  Is there any other reason for her to join the Deliverance besides Alm?  What even is her personality besides wanting to be close to Alm?  Why is it that literally every sentence of her description has the name "Alm" in it, while the guys' descriptions don't?

The concern I had at the time I wrote that response is that every other villager would be fuller characters, whereas Faye would just be this fangirl who'd be obsessed with one of the guys.  And if this list of descriptions is any indication, my concern wasn't far off.  Not even Catria or Cordelia have a description as egregious as Faye's; they at least only have the name of their crush listed once.

Also, to your "if Faye was a male character, you wouldn't bat an eye" comment...  Yes I would if there was something to imply he might be poorly written (hell, just make Faye a guy as is, keep the description the same, and he could still fall under a trashy trope; see: Ricken or Vaike and their obsessions with Chrom).  The simple fact that Faye is a token female is already a red flag because there are so many examples of the token female either being a filler tomboy with less plot involvement than the guys or the love interest of/someone who crushes on one of the guys.  I just don't have faith in the writers to subvert this trope or make it more interesting.

And I'm not asking for more from Faye than the males, or for her removal; I just want characters who aren't solely tropes.

Not gonna lie. Faye will probably end up being far more one-note than the guy villagers but a superb unit combat wise especially if she gains acess to pegasus knight. Among these descriptions, hers is pretty lame overall. Tobin's only somewhat generic by the end since that's a common personality type in many types of games but everything before hand makes it more fleshed out.

Faye will also lose out to Celica because that's just how the story goes. You'd think it'd be better if she liked Tobin since he gets the short stick regarding Clair.

Faye's certainly cute and all and I'll probably use her. I just hope she has actual character apart from "likes Alm". Hopefully she'll be more like Oboro where, while she does have a crush, she (or other characters) doesn't keep bringing it up like with what happened to Cordelia.