Defense Team Theories

Katrisa

So I've started trying to come up with some Defense team theories.  I've personally pushed my way up to Tier 3 and I'm having trouble getting defense team "hits".  I've gotten high scores both of the last two weeks.  But last week I only had one score @260 points and no other win encounters.  I'm getting curious if my defense team is even being approached (Eirika is my front person at the moment) or if they're simply loosing.  My current theory is that with all four start on my team, my team should flag as Advanced... which probably means only fairly serious people are clicking on me.  Given that Cordelia is on my team, she's easy to bait being a flier and my team probably gets dismantled from there.

Anyway because of the above theory I'm wondering what other options I have.  I could try to compose a better level 40 team... or I could maybe compose a well thought out lower level team.  Possibly in the 20-30s where people likely still trip up during arena battles.  It sounds very silly but I have a suspicion this may be a good way to get defense entries.

Has anyone else tinkered much with Defense team composition and had any luck?  

1 minute ago, Katrisa said:

So I've started trying to come up with some Defense team theories.  I've personally pushed my way up to Tier 3 and I'm having trouble getting defense team "hits".  I've gotten high scores both of the last two weeks.  But last week I only had one score @260 points and no other win encounters.  I'm getting curious if my defense team is even being approached (Eirika is my front person at the moment) or if they're simply loosing.  My current theory is that with all four start on my team, my team should flag as Advanced... which probably means only fairly serious people are clicking on me.  Given that Cordelia is on my team, she's easy to bait being a flier and my team probably gets dismantled from there.

Anyway because of the above theory I'm wondering what other options I have.  I could try to compose a better level 40 team... or I could maybe compose a well thought out lower level team.  Possibly in the 20-30s where people likely still trip up during arena battles.  It sounds very silly but I have a suspicion this may be a good way to get defense entries.

Has anyone else tinkered much with Defense team composition and had any luck?  

Dont compose a team of lvl 1 heroes im in tier 4 atm and got 660 points from a defense team that had a full lvl 1 team. so putting in your strongest defense team is wise. u want to think many steps ahead when setting up a defense team. for me i use a dancer/singer which basically throws off enemy teams since the ai is harder to predict since azura can sing to a random unit thus throwing you off quite a bit. also since the enemy expects takumis and hectors as well as sword units you want to keep this in mind and find out what counters those units. then set up to countering them. this season i only have 1 win but that is probably due to the fact that i am fighting enemies with +5-+10 all around so as your tier is raised it gets harder defensively and offensively

Thank, you're right about the dancer.  They still trip me up sometimes when I'm tired.  I saw someone do an all red team as their defense.  That was an interesting tactic (though failed on me since I had a triangle vs red character).  I am seeing that having unites who all have equal speed is likely very wise.  I'm considering right now trying to get all characters with counter skills or maybe Counter + Counter + Counter(Hector) + Sing and hope they sing Hector forward.  I've seen that work well sometimes as a defense as well.

6 minutes ago, Katrisa said:

Thank, you're right about the dancer.  They still trip me up sometimes when I'm tired.  I saw someone do an all red team as their defense.  That was an interesting tactic (though failed on me since I had a triangle vs red character).  I am seeing that having unites who all have equal speed is likely very wise.  I'm considering right now trying to get all characters with counter skills or maybe Counter + Counter + Counter(Hector) + Sing and hope they sing Hector forward.  I've seen that work well sometimes as a defense as well.

Yeah a defense like that ruined my streak 2 randoms and a hector with a azura sing ofc i misplayed horribly as i thought ai was stupid and would put hector forward instead the lucina came into view and 1 shot my tiki which fked my streak over horribly and 2 of my other heroes died. no point in resetting my streak since i was at 5 wins already and i had no more crests

Full red teams are free candy. Just always run 1-2 blue's in your team.

I got 9 succesfull defenses last season with:

5* Azura
5* Ryoma
5* Corrin F
5* Lucina

A mostly red team running characters, like: Tiki and Lyn will have a hard time.
Ryoma will kind of always give 1 big hit, since he cannot be dragged, without taking damage (same as Hector).
And Corrin F debuffs can screw up your team pretty bad. Azura makes everything unpredictable.

My most succesfull defensive team right now.
Would replace someone for Takumi though if I had him.
Got Jeorge but he miss 6att stats, so pretty much useless :(.

Put two blue units...Profit

RLY, i´m not joking...A LOT of people use two red units in the team, the meta right now is 5* red~infantry because most people get that from the pool...So stuff that kill red and infantry (takumi is infantry too) is king at defense.

It doesn't matter how many succesful defenses you have, only how good your best one is.  So, set up your defense with units with the highest rating and you should be able to win one defense per week.  

I'm hoping they change the system, but thats how it works right now.

I had a bunch of successful defenses (~8-10 or so I didn't count but I can scroll for it), and I run the same team I run for offense, which is Ryoma (+spd -atk), Takumi(+spd -res), Robin (+atk - spd), and Olivia. 2 high atk Counter units, 1 ranged blue, and dancing will probably fuck someone over.

Edited by Thor Odinson

One thing I feel confident saying is do NOT use Camilla for defense lol. I can only recall one instance where I ever found her threatening and it was when I was unprepared and underleveled. Her movement and WTA disadvantage are hella easy to exploit.

Dancer and/or two blues sounds like a solid option. I know that I always struggle against enemy Robins.

I find somewhat difficult units that can counter from any distance+Azura, because as said above sometimes predicting them is kinda difficult,something like Ryoma+Hector+Takumi+Azura should be solid enough to give you some defense points.

Units with poor range that cannot counter like Effie are sometimes easy to play around if you have a dancer/singer or a unit that can reposition other units(since you can jus attack with a 2 range unit then take it out of range), and also tend to not move together with the team and left behind, so the attacking team only needs to deal with 3 units at most if Effie gets left behind.

On the other hand unit with a lot of movement can also be difficult to fight against, Abel comes to mind, since its range makes killing it problematic since is more easy for him to have the chance to attack first.

I'm starting to think my problem is that I lack both a sing/dancer AND a ranged option (and that Hector is getting picked off by left over reds).  I think I'll have to finish leveling Tiki (counter) and Olivia and run a dragon comp + Hector and Sing.  

I'm tempted to put Lisa back on my team until I have sing for Hector.  Her attack up buff was less predictable than Hectors slowass.

My defenses have been super erratic. I usually had 2-3 in Season 1 with 4* F!Corrin, M!Corrin and Merric, plus 5* M!Robin. That same team suddenly snagged 7-8 in Season 2 with nothing other than levels changed. Season 3 only saw them get 1 win the entire time. They didn't get any the first day of this season and I've been kinda fiddling with other characters since last week's performance was so poor. Haven't had any bites yet, though. :/

Honestly im tier 4 and i win every single game on defense its weird ive literally never seen it say loss i dont really get it and my teams not that good not even 40th level, like 37 average

Also, just curious, are you guys aware you can have the same hero multiple times in the same team? i wasnt until i ran into a team with 3 lyns on it lmao

Edited by Sir TouchMe
added

31 minutes ago, Sir TouchMe said:

Honestly im tier 4 and i win every single game on defense its weird ive literally never seen it say loss i dont really get it and my teams not that good not even 40th level, like 37 average

Also, just curious, are you guys aware you can have the same hero multiple times in the same team? i wasnt until i ran into a team with 3 lyns on it lmao

That's because only wins show up in your score screen, noone sees their losses in defense.

If you want to win in defense, don't put in any tanks like Effie. They move one square at a time and because most people let the enemy come to them, they will almost always arrive when their companions are already dead and it makes them easy to pick off.

If you have good enough characters, consider fielding 4 of the same type. It might make you lose some matches easily, but if you have 4 blues and the enemy didn't take a green (or only one) and two reds (which is pretty common with all the red focus characters) then they'll have a hard time and chances are high that you win. Since AI is actually pretty easy to predict/manipulate, I like this strategy more since it makes it hard to deal with for some teams regardless.

Had another top score defense (I'm starting to think the defense score is based off team stats and a win).  But again its like only one this week.  I still need to shore up my defense team... but my last 5 draws were horrible... very few 4 stars and no 5... makes me cranky.

Edited by Katrisa