how many 4*+ merges would it take to be roughly equivalent to a regular 5*?

geozeldadude

i haven't looked, but from what i recall there are at least some characters that don't have a new 5* attack. +5 or 6 merge isn't that bad actually. it might be worth going that route if you have a lot of extras hanging around. i already have like 4 matthews. :p

A 4-star at level 40 is approximately 2 points lower in every stat compared to a 5-star at level 40. It takes 5 merges to gain 2 points in each stat.

The 5-star weapon is 3-5 points of Atk higher than the 4-star weapon it upgrades from. You won't be able to make up for the missed Atk (you can get at most 2 more points of Atk from merges), but additional merges can eventually give you 2 points in every other stat.

You obviously won't be able to equivalently make up for the loss of 5-star only skills.

23 minutes ago, geozeldadude said:

i haven't looked, but from what i recall there are at least some characters that don't have a new 5* attack. +5 or 6 merge isn't that bad actually. it might be worth going that route if you have a lot of extras hanging around. i already have like 4 matthews. :p

Every 5-star character has a new weapon because every 4-star weapon has a 5-star version with a "+" appended to the end of its name.

33 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Every 5-star character has a new weapon because every 4-star weapon has a 5-star version with a "+" appended to the end of its name.

ah, okay. i was thinking of tiki in particular b/c i was remembering she had an attack called fire breath+, but she actually upgrades to Lightning Breath and Lightning Breath+. but i guess in terms of support characters it's maybe still worth doing.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

A 4-star at level 40 is approximately 2 points lower in every stat compared to a 5-star at level 40. It takes 5 merges to gain 2 points in each stat.

The 5-star weapon is 3-5 points of Atk higher than the 4-star weapon it upgrades from. You won't be able to make up for the missed Atk (you can get at most 2 more points of Atk from merges), but additional merges can eventually give you 2 points in every other stat.

You obviously won't be able to equivalently make up for the loss of 5-star only skills.

Even healers?  I know everyone else does, with most of them being pretty good (Olivia well and truly doesn't care what's in her hands, her job is to dance).

7 hours ago, eclipse said:

Even healers?  I know everyone else does, with most of them being pretty good (Olivia well and truly doesn't care what's in her hands, her job is to dance).

Not staff-users since they don't really use the same weapon upgrade system as the other weapon types. If I recall correctly, staves get their second weapon at 3 stars and their third staff at 4 stars, so the only benefits of getting a 5-star staff-user is the 1 or 2 extra points to each stat and any 5-star skill unlocks.