PVP Red tome users good idea?

Raybrand

Hi just did a pull and got 5* Tharja and Lilina, I'm soo happy but since I know how heavy hitters they are but I'm wondering if they are a good idea for pvp.

The reason being that with the current pool of characters most of the most powerful characters are sword wielders, followed by lance wielders so except for Hector so there is not really much threat from pool of Axe champions, green tome users like nino, julia and axe wielder Camilla are counters by sword wielders than red tomes due to their high res.

I was thinking they could be used to fight other red characters but I feel that in defense it is easy to lure them close then jump on the target, so for defense the opponent is always going to lure you into an ambush so I believe the key is to get more tanky characters for defense, Also with most of the best characters being sword wielders I prefer to use my blue characters like Nowi and Catari.

What do you guys think, what has your experience been using these characters or fighting them. The team I use is Chrom/Korrin(M), Takumi, Catari & Nowi. Sturdy red front-liner to take a hit and deal with possible green color, Takumi to take out air units and ware down melee characters (practically no downside to this character) and Catari & Nowi to deal with red color units plus they are really tanky in both defense and resistance

Tharja is my main attaker, she eats EVERYTHING, even Robin. Sometimes though she has problems with Linde, lol. And she's my main Hector/Takumi/literally everything else killer.

She doubles everything except Effie on her phase and almost everything on enemy phase, she oneshots Hector with either enough buffs or venegance, she two-shots almost everything else... she's really amazing and probably the only character in my arena team I won't let go of because of her importance. Her weapon ablility is just THAT good. She does lack in defence of course but if you do your calculations right there's nothing to fear. And, but of course, you should have at least one buff in your team to use her efficiently.

upd: Oh, and my Tharja is +spd -def. I think even without +spd she's still as deadly on her phase, but it certainly helps me on my phase. 

Edited by Avestus

Tharja's Raudhrblade+ weapon adds all of her buffs a second time as Atk. This includes Atk buffs. I've been using her in the training tower with Sharena, who has Rally Attack (+4 Atk) and Fortify Defense (+4 Def) for a total of +12 Atk and +4 Def, and she demolishes literally everything. You just need to watch out for enemies capable of inflicting Panic, but that goes without saying for any buff-centric team composition.

Lilina has the highest Atk in the game among mages at neutral 53 (equal to Chrom even though Bolganone+ has 3 less Atk than Falchion), though her speed is rather low. I haven't used her yet, but I assume she's used as if she were a red Julia. There aren't many enemies in the arena that you'd be able to kill in a single hit, but she should have no problem softening up enemy reds and greens for your front line to clean up.

As a Lilina user I would say that is dependant on your team, because with the right team it can make wonders, for example a +ATK Lilina with an attack buff (through FCorrin, Eirika,etc.) can one shot Takumi,Lucina,Ryoma,Hector,etc some of the variants dont even require the buff.

Lilina also deals with mages pretty well aside from Linde, and including non  +SPD RobinM variants.

With a Dancer/Singer Lilina just gets much better, because  she 2OKOes basically everything, even things like Effie and Abel,and aiming for setting up a Growing Flame is more reasonable.

So Lilina is good if you can use units to reposition her and buff her to reach certain ohkoes IMO.