Help me get into the Atelier series.

BalancedPro

So there are a lot of RPGs I want to play now that I got the free time. The first is the Atelier series. However after reading the wiki, I realized that there are over 15+ games in the franchise. And unlike other RPGs, each one is connected. I don't know which one to start on. I'll take any advice.

I bet it's about the Atelier Sophie on steam. The game is fun, really fun, not deep or epic but fun. Basically, you and your party go to maps, collect materials, fight monsters and craft a lot of stuff. The crafting mini game is fun and can be complicated for high end item especially if you want to get a certain trait. Every material has traits, everything you craft have effects. Traits can combine and create a better trait. Effects, up to your (not Sophie) skill and calculating can be pumped up to maximums. You dont simply pick the right materials but you also have to places them well to get the most out of them.

The combat is shallow and simple but the fact that you can use the items you created and throw them at the monsters is always fun. At least the grinding is fast, even after you get to lvl 20. While there are many things to collect, it has never felt like being a chore since getting in and out and collect items can be done very fast and except boss materials, all materials are very common and you gonna get a ton of them without trying. Monsters usually dont last for more than one or two round unless you fight really strong boss. It's also very easy to earn money. The story is simple but it is there at least. The characters are kinda generics but cute and have a lot of banters with you and with each others so you wont get bore of them. They have personality and are similar to Harvest Moon characters more than Final Fantasy ones.

Now that I thought about it, Atelier Sophie is very familiar to Rune Factory, a light heart game with unique, fun but simple gameplay you play to relax. If you want to craft items and have fun then pick Atelier Sophie. If you want to play Final Fantasy with crafting feature then play Mana Khemia 2. If you want to play good Atelier game with good combat system then pick Shallie or Escha & Logy. I hate Iris games, they bored me. I have always prefer the new game for their better crafting system and moe girls.

Edit: holy! I have always pronounce it "At-lee-er".

Edited by Magical CC

I've only played one game of the entire series (I lack a PS3/Vita and never got it for the PS2).

I first attempted to play Atelier Sophie she's dubbed by Diana from Zero Time Dilemma that's amazing, checking how it is before I decided to buy it. I found it fun, but kind of hollow on storyline and purpose despite the rather fun crafting system. The characters are also one dimensional/two dimensional at best and don't add much to the plot. The battle system is what you'd expect from Hyperdimension Neptunia or any generic JRPG battle system you can imagine. Good for some relaxing, casual gaming, I guess. I'll probably play it when it isn't costing 56 bucks in my country (around 30 bucks is ok I think). Those are my thoughts after roughly 1 hour of playing.

Also, the Mana Khemia series are also part of the Atelier series. I guess I'll play it later. It seems more serious and character/story oriented.

Edited by Rapier

Atelier Sophie pretty much has no story worth mentioning, yes. Only its crafting system has any depth, and many Atelier fans seem to consider it the weakest in the series.

1 hour ago, Rapier said:

serious

That adjective doesn't really have a place in these games, haha.

I haven't played through Atelier all that much yet (have played Shallie for a bit; haven't started three other parts yet), but my first impession was that this game is more focussed on characters than on a real plot. It goes a bit in the same direction as Neptunia in term of cuteness. I didn't really mind because I normally play this genre for its gameplay, and Shallie has done it alright so far yet. I find synthesizing a bit complicated, but it's nothing you won't be able to learn.

It's funny that you mention Shallie, as it's the one game that had plot elements removed from the PS3 version. I still can't believe Gust went that far... I blame Tecmo Koei.

Frankly, though - while Sophie's story is weaker than other Ateliers', conflict and plot twists just aren't a strong suit of this series. Cute alchemists, robust crafting systems and beautiful soundtracks would be the main selling points.