Leveling beyond 20

wolfxdown

12 minutes ago, wolfxdown said:

Best way to level +25 training tower or running appropriate lunatic level missions guys are kind of at a stand still

What's your team?  Preferably in screenshot form.

I overheard they will be expanding the XP range for killing lower level units.  Personally I find there is a notable bump around level 31+ where the training tower difficulty shoots up, XP gains shoot down, and Stamina required shoots up.  And at this hill level grinding is painful.  Likewise you have to put actual thought in leveling many characters at this point.  With this said its not functionally bad but due to the Stamina requirements it makes that period super frustrating.

I find the rate of gaining xp significantly lower in the lv30-40 range. If you are training your first set of units, just doing story mode should bring you in the mid-high 30s. After that training tower is your best bet as story mode lowers the amount of xp after finishing it once. I find it easier to train if you have a team of higher lv units to help baby the one you are training and feed it kills. 

Tiki and two nukes?

Remember that Matthew, way back when?  He's perfect for training newbies, since he's ranged, doesn't do a ton of damage, and gets Poison Strike (guaranteed damage on units, but Poison Strike can't kill).  Azama gets Pain, which does the same thing.

Remember, you only need your "baby" to deal 1 HP to get the experience.  My rule is no higher than 3 above the level of the unit I'm training.  The growth isn't explosive, but it's there.

39 minutes ago, ZXApocrypha said:

hopefully you have olivia w/ dance (maybe obtained from the hero battle and lvl'd up w/ crystals?); you can use her to get more kills w/ the unit you want to train.

True I do have Olivia never thought of doing that method trying to get her to 4 star ATM

40 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Tiki and two nukes?

Remember that Matthew, way back when?  He's perfect for training newbies, since he's ranged, doesn't do a ton of damage, and gets Poison Strike (guaranteed damage on units, but Poison Strike can't kill).  Azama gets Pain, which does the same thing.

Remember, you only need your "baby" to deal 1 HP to get the experience.  My rule is no higher than 3 above the level of the unit I'm training.  The growth isn't explosive, but it's there.

Yeah true I'll look into building that too

Is it worth upgrading your castle for the xp?

11 minutes ago, wolfxdown said:

The first 60% is a bargain (1+2+5 total 8 orbs), the last 40% (8+10 total 18 orbs) is more questionable

18 minutes ago, wolfxdown said:

True I do have Olivia never thought of doing that method trying to get her to 4 star ATM

Yeah true I'll look into building that too

Got rid of the double post.

As for the castle exp, YES.  It's permanent, and makes leveling a lot less painful.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has already collected some useful tips on leveling past level 20 (which seems to be an issue for some people according based on grand hero battle experiences some people have).

Tips above:

-Upgrade up your castle and be at level 40 (essentially) twice as fast. You decide if that's worth it.

- Go through the main story on various difficulties with your first (and preferably strongest team team). My advice, use your 5*s here for quicker progression.

- Fight in the training tower. Preferably around 4-6 levels of the level of the unit being trained (after a first team of 40s has been achieved)

- Fighting in the arena sets you up against comparably strong teams, and you gain experience. My experience is that this is much slower than tower grinding.

Additional advice:

- When training healers: Heal, whenever you can. Try to get those 200-300exp every time you fight.

- When training for the first time: take advantage of units with triangle adept or gem weapons. You can easily kill opponents which have a much higher level than you, if you fight a disadvantaged opponent

- Make a team of high level high res/def healers, and to block incoming attacks and soften up the opponent

-Prepare some units like Azama or Matthew who have Pain, or Poison Strike and the such. These units are good at damaging units and softening them for weak team member to kill off at 1 hp or so

- A dancer like Olivia can give an attack buff of 3-4 and dances for you. This can make the difference of killing off a unit or not.

- Stamina is limited. Therefore spend time to consider how to kill off enemies, so your weak unit(s) can net as many kills as possible. (this is if you have time for grinding)

- Face tower opponents at levels at least 4 levels higher than yourself (but don't overextend. Salt should remain a spice for food)

- In the tower, read your opponents' abilities. The tower is a cruel, cheating mistress at times.

In my experience a unit can be trained in this manner up to level 36-39 in one day using no potions (my Ursula is at 35 and she came out today).

Just take 3 high lvls to the training tower and the unit you want to gain exp.
I usually take lvl 25+ to 8/9/10th stratum.

If you wanna exp a healer you should look out for Armored enemy units.
They usually got low res & spd, so they are pretty easy to finish off with a healer.

You can make a unit (even healers) lv 40 in 1 day, without spending stamina potions.
I'd agree you should spend orbs on atleast 40/60% exp boost.