The Geek

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Vaximillian said:

Cordelia also holds her lance very much like a cuestick:

*snip*

I'd totally be down to play pool with Cordelia and Camus.

31 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Isn’t forbidden by the Geneva Convention?

Reveal hidden contents

XExqIRi.jpg

You can only be tried for war crimes if you lose the war. This is why it's a very good idea to stuff weapons in hospitals and ambulances. It's a war crime to do so, but it's also a war crime to bomb hospitals and ambulances.

Generally speaking, the 'real' deterrent to war crimes is 'eye for an eye,' ex. you gas our people, we gas yours. But in certain situations tit for tat simply doesn't work because the two sides are unequal.

A terrorist organization (I believe 'freedom fighters' is the technical term) can afford to use ambulances as munition trucks, but the army of an established nation can't do the same for political reasons. A nation that uses a volunteer army, for example, needs to keep the army and the civilian population's morale high. This means: The army can't afford to commit war crimes unless the civilian population understands that 'war crimes' are just another way to say 'bullshit we'll cite as the reason for shooting you if we win the war.' I imagine most European nations, as well as USA and Canada actually think war crimes are actually crimes, however.

This, combined with the fundamental practice of terrorism, means that it's often favorable to commit war crimes.

The very point of terrorism is to invite reprisals, because, assuming you setup your organization correctly, the 'enemy' can't hit your power base, because they're hidden, so they're forced to either do nothing* or hit your people. Hitting your people creates a background of discontent and hatred which you can use to build up your power base---more manpower from recruitment, more cash, materiel, and safe-houses etc. (Established countries can't simply nuke your people out of existence, again for political reasons, so any reprisal they do against your people won't significantly impact your power base.)

*At least, nothing noticeable. Because your power base is hidden, if the enemy does manage to hit it, nobody except you and the enemy will notice.

If a terrorist organization uses ambulances as a very safe way to deliver munitions, then, assuming the organization was setup properly, the nation it's fighting would be caught between a rock and a hard place. The nation can either: a, stop the ambulances, and get shredded by the terrorist organization's PR department for committing war crimes, b, do nothing, in which case logistics just got a lot easier for the terrorist organization (logistics wins wars), c, threaten, and possibly carry out, acts of reprisal against the 'people' of the terrorist organization.

Unfortunately, the 'people' of a terrorist organization isn't its power base. The 'people' is a source of manpower and materiel, but, unlike an established nation, a terrorist organization can't simply conscript from the population unless a certain amount of hate and discontent is present. (Not very much hate and discontent, mind, humans are built to hate other humans.) An established country posing as a terrorist organization is another matter entirely, and beyond the scope of this post.

Choice A (bomb\raid the ambulances and hospitals) causes discontent inside the country's civilian population---and sometimes the army as well. Once the civilian support drops enough, a country will be forced to pull out*. This is actually one of the end-goals of a terrorist campaign---to force a stronger side to pull out despite that side's superior war capacity by striking their support base as opposed to their army. A terrorist organization is a terrorist organization precisely because it can't match the other side's army in an actual fight.

*This doesn't apply to countries like Russia or China, most likely. There are advantages to being a dictatorship.

Choice B (do nothing), means that logistics becomes exceedingly simple for the terrorist organization. Hospitals become safe houses, and ambulances become plot-armored transport trucks. And you can choose to commit other, also advantageous war crimes in addition to this hospital and ambulance thing.

Choice C (punish the terrorist organization's 'people') usually means that, rather than the terrorist organization's 'people' think of the organization as a bunch of gangsters and criminals, the 'people' more and more start to align with the terrorist organization's thought of 'fuck this nation we're fighting.' This is because, except in the rare case where the terrorist organization and the nation it's fighting are based in the same country (strictly speaking, that'll be more like a civil war than a terrorist operation, and beyond the scope of this post), the 'people,' by default, think of both the nation and terrorist organization as 'them.' However, if the nation punishes the 'people' in an attempt to force the terrorist organization to make concessions, what actually happens is that the people start thinking of the terrorist organization as 'us' and the nation as the 'enemy.' This is a huge boon to recruitment, donations, and access to safe-houses. (A safe-house is safe even if people know about it, so long as nobody wants to tell the nation you're fighting. This is a lot easier when your 'people' hate the nation rather than your terrorist organization.)

1 hour ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Since Lucina: Future Witness is getting a clone character in FE Heroes...

Okay, can you explain for those (like me) who didn’t play Smash and have no idea beyond “every FE rep is a Marth clone”?
What happens in the last two frames?

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

Okay, can you explain for those (like me) who didn’t play Smash and have no idea beyond “every FE rep is a Marth clone”?

I think it's actually a pokemon reference about how Mewtwo is a clone of Mew.

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

For those who didn't play the Pokemon games, Mewtwo is a genetically engineered Pokemon created using Mew's DNA, effectively making Mewtwo a clone of Mew, albeit one tampered by science.

4 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

I think it's actually a pokemon reference about how Mewtwo is a clone of Mew.

3 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

For those who didn't play the Pokemon games, Mewtwo is a genetically engineered Pokemon created using Mew's DNA, effectively making Mewtwo a clone of Mew, albeit one tampered by science.

Ah, okay, I know even less of Pokemon than I do of Smash. So Lucina used to technically not be a clone, but now she herself got an actual clone.

I think the joke is that Lucina hurt Mewtwo's feelings by saying "worthless clone" and Mew's glaring at her.

56 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Actually the only Marth clone is Lucina (and by extension Roy but thas really only in Melee, now he plays quite different)

While Marth is a fast, low damage character (but he still has lots of KO potential), Ike is a slow heavy damage brute that easily KOs foes. Robin is magic.

This probably isn't even needed lmao but I jump at any chance to discuss smash bros. love it

12 hours ago, Midori Mage said:

Artoria from the Fate series show Girl Marth the true power of being a cash cow:

tumblr_or7ilqh5JW1twzr2mo1_1280.png

Ha.

Honestly never dd get how Jeanne is supposed to be a Saber clone in terms of design, since they actually look pretty distinct from each other.  The only real source of that is Caster confusing Saber for Jeanne in Fate/Zero, and it's pretty well established that Caster is not-all-there mentally.