The Geek

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Zeo said:

@mampfoid They did him dirty.

A unique refine ... for one day. 

I didn't even realize Lilina's weapon did what Matthews new refine does but with better debuffs (no self buffs though) until I saw this one.

2 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

I didn't even realize Lilina's weapon did what Matthews new refine does but with better debuffs (no self buffs though) until I saw this one.

Considering how easy it is to buff units in today's meta, the the inheritable version is arguably the better one which is truly sad. Yes, the Rogue Dagger effect is good if you're going for a tank build, but instead of rolling with that and building on Matt's bulk, they just slapped on the reverse blade effect. 

They missed a chance to give him something truly unique and in the end he remains overshadowed. You can just inherit this weapon onto Sothe and for offensive purposes it's 100% better on him. Still, I'll make this dagger work. It's a new toy, it could come in handy for Abyssal maps as well.

1 minute ago, mampfoid said:

As if that means anything. I don't see people complaining about units that get an existing skill for a refine. I don't see people gushing about Luke's refine despite it being extremely unique.

Blizzard is one of the strongest effects in the game, and having Rogue Dagger as a base effect is generally better than having Silver Dagger as a base effect.

18 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Blizzard is one of the strongest effects in the game, and having Rogue Dagger as a base effect is generally better than having Silver Dagger as a base effect.

Lilina's weapon doesn't just have the silver dagger effect at base. It has the blizzard effect at base too which means it can be refined for extra stats of your choosing and still keep one of the strongest effects in the game.

Matt's only gets the Blizzard effect with the prf refine and loses out on extra stats and slightly better debuffs for buffs that are pretty common to get through the C slot, Seal, or Assist supports.

Imo, either blizzard should have also been part of the base weapon or they should have just given him another effect for his prf.

Just now, NegativeExponents- said:

Lilina's weapon doesn't just have the silver dagger effect at base. It has the blizzard effect at base too which means it can be refined for extra stats of your choosing and still keep one of the strongest effects in the game.

Matt's only gets the Blizzard effect with the prf refine and loses out on extra stats and slightly better debuffs for buffs that are pretty common to get through the C slot, Seal, or Assist supports.

Imo, either blizzard should have also been part of the base weapon or they should have just given him another effect for his prf.

If you remove Blizzard from Spy's Dagger, you get refined Rogue Dagger+ (+2 Atk, -2 HP, minus additional refine effect). If you remove Blizzard from Broad-Leaf Fan, you get refined Silver Dagger+ (-2 Atk, minus additional refine effect).

Having the weapon refined is the default state for a complete build. Weapons have no business being compared when not refined. The comparison is accurate.

6 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Being common or not doesn't change the fact that having that effect frees up skill slots for other skills. The beauty of visible buffs is the fact that they don't stack, meaning any visible buff you can offload onto a different skill slot (like the weapon slot) is one visible buff that you no longer have to use a more valuable or more competitive skill slot for, freeing up that slot for a buff that does stack.

38 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

If you remove Blizzard from Spy's Dagger, you get refined Rogue Dagger+ (+2 Atk, -2 HP, minus additional refine effect). If you remove Blizzard from Broad-Leaf Fan, you get refined Silver Dagger+ (-2 Atk, minus additional refine effect).

That's inaccurate. The extra +1 extra debuff in both def/res essentially bring it up to par with Spy's Dagger damage and a +atk refine would make it surpass Spy's Dagger (prf) damage capabilities while giving more hp.

Weapons have no business being compared when not refined.

I'm not comparing an unrefined weapon to refined one though? I'm comparing Spy's Dagger (prf) to Broad-Leaf Fan (all refines). Because Broad-Leaf is able to output the same or more damage as Spy's dagger (prf) regardless of refine but has the benefit of giving extra hp and extra stat boost in any of atk, spd, def, or res and that flexibility in allocation of stats is what makes Broad-Leaf so much better.

Being common or not doesn't change the fact that having that effect frees up skill slots for other skills. The beauty of visible buffs is the fact that they don't stack, meaning any visible buff you can offload onto a different skill slot (like the weapon slot) is one visible buff that you no longer have to use a more valuable or more competitive skill slot for, freeing up that slot for a buff that does stack.

Sure, rouge dagger gives you buffs but it gives it to you after combat which makes it unreliable. You can't expect there to be an enemy that can't counter attack or knock you out before the buffs are applied. Hones, tactics, rallies, link skills are much more reliable since all of those can be applied before combat.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

5 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

That's inaccurate. The extra +1 extra debuff in both def/res essentially bring it up to par with Spy's Dagger damage and a +atk refine would make it surpass Spy's Dagger (prf) damage capabilities while giving more hp.

That's relative to Silver Dagger+. The parentheses are modifiers to the weapon immediately preceding the parentheses as parentheses do. Broad-Leaf Fan+ is 12 Mt, +5 HP, +other refine effect, Blizzard, and Dagger 7. Silver Dagger+ is 14 Mt, +5 HP, +other refine effect, and Dagger 7. If you remove Blizzard from Broad-Leaf Fan+, then you get a Silver Dagger+ with -2 Atk.

5 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I'm not comparing an unrefined weapon to refined one though? I'm comparing Spy's Dagger (prf) to Broad-Leaf Fan (all refines). Because Broad-Leaf is able to output the same or more damage as Spy's dagger (prf) regardless of refine but has the benefit of giving extra hp and extra stat boost in any of atk, spd, def, or res and that flexibility in allocation of stats is what makes Broad-Leaf so much better.

And I'm comparing Spy's Dagger minus Blizzard with Broad-Leaf Fan minus Blizzard, which ends up being almost identical to the comparison between a Rogue Dagger and a Silver Dagger.

When you compare Spy's Dagger directly to Broad-Leaf Fan, the only difference is that Spy's Dagger has +2 Mt, -2 HP, minus the other refine effect (1 Mt, 2 Spd, 3 Def, or 3 Res) and has the Rogue Dagger base instead of the Silver Dagger base.

When you compare Rogue Dagger directly to Silver Dagger, the difference is that Rogue Dagger has -2 Mt and has the Rogue Dagger base instead of the Silver Dagger base.

These comparisons are much the same except that the raw stats are slightly different. Assuming Rogue Dagger is considered better than Silver Dagger (which it is), then Spy's Dagger is better than Broad-Leaf Fan if you consider +4 Mt a fair trade for -5 bulk.

On 7/13/2019 at 1:35 AM, Dayni said:
This is kind of beautiful.

Also too true, back to the bench Wolt.

As someone who played Binding Blade a lot I can say that this post is perfectly accurate.

This worked better than I expected.

I also finally know where the "YES! YES! YES!" memes are from thanks to it.

I saw this image today.

I got pitybroken by her.

This image might be cursed.

Edelgard: Excuse me, but have you seen the professor?

Mordecai: Oh. Yes. By Lethe.

Edelgard: Yes, that's right. Have you seen her?

Mordecai: ??? By...Lethe.

Edelgard: Um... Yes, we've established that. Could you tell me where you saw her?

Mordecai: By. Lethe.

Edelgard: *sigh* This is not your first language, is it? I'll ask someone else...

Mordecai: (Am I really that bad at the Beorc language?) ;-;

On 7/24/2019 at 8:36 PM, Mercakete said:

Edelgard: Excuse me, but have you seen the professor?

Mordecai: Oh. Yes. By Lethe.

Edelgard: Yes, that's right. Have you seen her?

Mordecai: ??? By...Lethe.

Edelgard: Um... Yes, we've established that. Could you tell me where you saw her?

Mordecai: By. Lethe.

Edelgard: *sigh* This is not your first language, is it? I'll ask someone else...

Mordecai: (Am I really that bad at the Beorc language?) ;-;

I know I'm being that guy, so apologies. Lethe, unless Heroes altered it, is two syllables, Leth-ee. My pedantry aside, I do very much like it :D:

2 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

I know I'm being that guy, so apologies. Lethe, unless Heroes altered it, is two syllables, Leth-ee. My pedantry aside, I do very much like it :D:

I always pronounced it "leth" (like how "shopppe" is pronounced "shop." The whole "if there are two consonants separating a vowel from a silent e, the vowel has a short sound" thing.) But in Heroes, it's apparently pronounced "leeth."

9 hours ago, Mercakete said:

I always pronounced it "leth" (like how "shopppe" is pronounced "shop." The whole "if there are two consonants separating a vowel from a silent e, the vowel has a short sound" thing.) But in Heroes, it's apparently pronounced "leeth."

Well that answers that part. Guess that's what I get for always playing with sound off. The name itself comes from one of the rivers of Hades, which is where I got the pronunciation.

19 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

Well that answers that part. Guess that's what I get for always playing with sound off. The name itself comes from one of the rivers of Hades, which is where I got the pronunciation.

I see. That's some neat trivia. I'm glad you liked the joke regardless. 🙂

• 1 month later...

I'm about to get this locked aren't I?

Bantu got in!

Some real PoR/RD spoilers here:

Spoiler

BK's armour was insane, considering it guarded him against multiple Aethers and and a castle.

This was a thing.

The other version also works.

I leave you with the best thing to have come out of FB so far, even unmemed this is a fucking beautiful line.

(Dance through the danger intensifies?)

Thrasir's "killing intent" icon is her shoes. Dem stilettos are evidently signs of murder. No wonder they're somewhat intimidating. Like, "those could stab me." Dem shoes, man. With them, her enemies are de-feeted.