Talk Me Out of Promoting Nino to 5*

Rezzy

Well, I think I'll finally break down and promote a unit to 5*.

I've got a few options.  Robin, Roy, Lilina, Kagero, Olivia, and Nino

Robin, and Roy both have bad IVs, both are -Atk.

Olivia is mainly a Dancer and doesn't get as much from the boost.

Lilina has a nature of -Def,+Res, so not really good or bad.

Kagero actually has a decent IV, I think with -HP,+Atk, but she is super fragile.

Nino actually has the best Boon/Bane available at +Spd,-Def.  It lloks like we'll get a Nino focus soon, but there's no guarantee that I'll get her and almost certainly get a worse nature.

So, what do you guys think?  Hold onto the Feathers or pull the trigger?

4 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

So, what do you guys think?  Hold onto the Feathers or pull the trigger?

Just dump Orbs into Nino's focus when it comes out (with hopes to score a 5* Azura too), since it's confirmed, and bump Sharena to 5* for that RallyAttack/Fortify Def combo to stick her with.

Alternatively, if you have good Buffbots, then gopher it

Edited by Elieson

What are your current 5*s? If Nino is you best candidate I'd say hold onto them for now because of how likely a Nino focus is. Unless she is your only decent green unit I don't think it's worth it, as you could get by for now with her as a 4*.

Having watched 5* Nino tear up almost every Arena battle over the past week and a half, I'm hesitant to talk you out of this =P . +Spd/-Def would probably do it even more effectively than mine (+Def/-HP). From my perspective, Kagero would be the only other worthy person of that group. As for getting a natural 5* from the Focus...merge into the great one you have now? I'm seriously considering saving orbs for that focus because Effie & Nino are just that good.

Edited by LordFrigid

10 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

Dooooooo it.

If you pull another Nino, you can always merge the duplicate into your current one.

I think I might.

9 minutes ago, Elieson said:

Just dump Orbs into Nino's focus when it comes out (with hopes to score a 5* Azura too), since it's confirmed, and bump Sharena to 5* for that RallyAttack/Fortify Def combo to stick her with.

Alternatively, if you have good Buffbots, then gopher it

Azura's in the next Focus, too?  I could certainly use her.  I've got my Sharena at 4* right now.  I'd like to promote her eventually, but my Abel works so well, right now.

9 minutes ago, immatx said:

What are your current 5*s? If Nino is you best candidate I'd say hold onto them for now because of how likely a Nino focus is. Unless she is your only decent green unit I don't think it's worth it, as you could get by for now with her as a 4*.

I've got Hector, Camilla, and Julia as my Green 5*s.  Julia is also a Green mage, but much slower.

9 minutes ago, LordFrigid said:

Having watched 5* Nino tear up almost every Arena battle over the past week and a half, I'm hesitant to talk you out of this =P . +Spd/-Def would probably do it even more effectively than mine (+Def/-HP). From my perspective, Kagero would be the only other worthy person of that group. As for getting a natural 5* from the Focus...merge into the great one you have now? I'm seriously considering saving orbs for that focus because Effie & Nino are just that good.

Yeah, I could always merge the Ninos.  Once I get my Feathers from this Arena session, I'll see how I'm sitting.

42 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Don't do it! Save your feathers for event heroes, like female robin, Ursula, narcien, etc.

you CAN'T get five star versions of them, the only way is to promote them, for which you need feathers.

There. That's my argument. You're welcome.

Maybe once I get 40K Feathers, I will have a bit more freedom to promote a 4*.

25 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Nino is godlike, but if you have Hector, he's always a better option, simply because his high stat total bumps up your Arena standings. That's all there is to it.

Yeah, Green is blocked, and I've got a serviceable Green Mage in Julia.

24 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

I'd just wait until you have the opportunity to promote a unit that you really like. If you have to ask if it's worth it I wouldn't recommend doing it, you know?

Yeah, but Nino is a unit I really like.  I was using her day 1, before I found out she was top tier.

Is Nino your FAVORITE of all the characters currently in the game (or with any realistic chance of being added, IE Ike/Micaiah/etc.)? If so, do it. If not, maybe wait for someone you like better. 

1 minute ago, BANRYU said:

Is Nino your FAVORITE of all the characters currently in the game (or with any realistic chance of being added, IE Ike/Micaiah/etc.)? If so, do it. If not, maybe wait for someone you like better. 

She's not my absolute favorite, but she's up there.  I'd say she's my favorite FE7 character.  Most of my other favorites are either already only available as 5* (Leo), aren't viable in Arena (Est), or aren't out yet.

I like a poop ton of the Tellius characters, but I'd imagine I'd have enough feathers to promote a second 4* by the time they come out, hopefully.

If Nino is serving you well and you love the character, go for it. Also, if she is a mainstay on your offensive Arena team, the stat boost from 4* to 5* will help in obtaining better scores for improved ranking.

As for other scenarios...
- You pull a 5* Nino from the new focus with a more preferable Boon & Bane. || Guess who now has a 5* +1 Nino with a good Boon and Bane?
- You pull a 4* unit with favorable Boon and Bane that can serve you well in the Arena. || One cannot predict the future and RNG is RNG. One could play it safe, but it may be more beneficial to promote now to "help" with feather production.
- FE: Heroes does something crazy and adds your favorite character of all time to the roster (sometime soon), and is actually viable in the Arena. || Unless you have a character that is already in the current roster or in the current Focus, I can see there being a period of "no new heroes" (besides Grand Hero Battles) until March 14. During that time frame, it is possible to get at least 4k-8k Feathers from the Arena (assuming a successful defense and max offense score for minimum, then assuming at least the 2k feather ranking for maximum). // If IS decides to do a Feather event or reward Feathers, then it may be possible to get 20k before March 14. However, this does not consider if there will be any new heroes you really like on March 14, granting even more time to build up a feather stockpile for that "one desired hero."

In short, just do it. Unless you really need to be hyper efficient about feather usage and do not have a solid 5* Arena team, then go ahead and promote your Nino.

Honestly I'm in the same position. My 5* units are Tharja, Eirika, Lyn, Camilla, Robin-M, Takumi. I'm very happy with their performances overall, and maybe I'll have just too much ranged units if I swapped out Camilla for Nino (if you don't count Takumi's close counter).

These are all my 4* units:

BL35qTR.png

I am particularly liking Olivia, Sharena, Gwendolyn, and Felicia, too. Still heavily leaning towards Nino though. If I didn't spend so much on upgrading my favourite 3* units to 4*, maybe I'd have had enough to have a 5* Nino already.

Promote her. She has a great boon/bane, and she is amazing.

I have the same 4* Nino and she is on my short list of candidates for promoting to 5*.

She is a powerhouse with good buff support and she has great utility with draw back. Plus she can buff your other heroes as well with her Hone Atk.

Being totally honest, I believe you should wait for the Inheritance System's unveiling before you decide to promote anymore units. If I recall correctly, they're releasing the mechanic around mid-March which honestly isn't that far away. From the sounds of it, it feels like the meta can change quite significantly since characters will gain access to skill combinations that were impossible before, and what happens to be a good hero now might be completely supplanted by another that can use the same skills even better. Nino is definitely a solid hero right now, but if her weapon can be inherited, it's totally possible she'll drop a tier or two soon enough. It feels like it's 'safer' to first wait and see what happens to the meta when skill inheritance becomes a thing, as 20,000 feathers is really a painstaking amount and anyone would hate to regret wasting that many on what later turns out to be a bad decision. 

Of course all of that was based on an 'end-game' mentality. If you simply want to bump Nino to 5* because you like her and don't care that much about viability, go right ahead really.