Is SoV the Only FE Echoes game?

On 2/28/2017 at 6:57 PM, Jedi said:

Its more we need a localization, there are translations and you can play the game on your DS in its original format. 

We don't need a remake of a remake as I said.

Technically a remake of a remake of a remake, because FE3 was actually a remake of FE1. Then New Mystery was a remake of it. So another remake would be its third reinvention. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Tolvir said:

Technically a remake of a remake of a remake, because FE3 was actually a remake of FE1. Then New Mystery was a remake of it. So another remake would be its third reinvention.

Super technical because Book 2 was its own thing back then :P: 

Edited by Jedi

7 hours ago, Jedi said:

Super technical because Book 2 was its own thing back then :P: 

Yep, got that kind of wrong. Forgot it is sectioned off in two books, with book 2 being a sequel  of sorts.

1 hour ago, Tolvir said:

Yep, got that kind of wrong. Forgot it is sectioned off in two books, with book 2 being a sequel  of sorts.

No biggie, its kind of an easy mistake.

On 2/28/2017 at 10:44 PM, EvilElectro said:

I'm still waiting for a continuation or maybe a remake of Scared Stones, as every other game that has been released, I mean the only game (apart from Fates) has a story based in the same universe (FE1 and FE3, FE4 and FE5, FE6 and FE7, FE9 and FE10, FE11 and FE12, and Awakening was based in FE1's continent).

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: There's really nothing worth revisiting in SS. The world was bland and there were no "Oh, this could have been a neat story if we saw these characters 20 years ago" moments, there were no side stories going on that would be deserving of its own game, and they didn't set-up anything that would warrant a sequel. Every FE that got a sequel/prequel/sidequel has done this. There was some kind of world-building that went on that warranted exploring. The only iffy one is Gaiden, since the connections to FE1/3 were barely a thing. But SS did none of this. It was concerned about the Lyon story, it told it, and it ended. 

If you want a remake, cool, but asking for a sequel would be asking for the most unnecessary game in the franchise. 

Edited by Slumber

16 hours ago, Slumber said:

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: There's really nothing worth revisiting in SS. The world was bland and there were no "Oh, this could have been a neat story if we saw these characters 20 years ago" moments, there were no side stories going on that would be deserving of its own game, and they didn't set-up anything that would warrant a sequel. Every FE that got a sequel/prequel/sidequel has done this. There was some kind of world-building that went on that warranted exploring. The only iffy one is Gaiden, since the connections to FE1/3 were barely a thing. But SS did none of this. It was concerned about the Lyon story, it told it, and it ended. 

If you want a remake, cool, but asking for a sequel would be asking for the most unnecessary game in the franchise. 

Perhaps a Sequel would be more interresting

58 minutes ago, EvilElectro said:

Perhaps a Sequel would be more interresting

It could be, but they could also just do a new story, rather than shove shit unnecessarily into a story a lot of people already liked. 

SS was really self contained for an FE. It doesn't seem like it was written to have sequels/prequels or anything like that. People who like the SS story like it for the Eirika/Ephraim/Lyon story, and that was pretty conclusively told. Not every FE needs a multi-game story. And that's fine. 

Edited by Slumber

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2017 at 11:26 PM, Tolvir said:

You're still technically correct, but you're thinking of FE11 which was a remake of Book 1 which jammed the removed chapters back in (while keeping retconned aspects Book 1 had, like the five holes in the emblem and Iote's Shield being a thing). So FE11 is a remake of FE3B1, which is a remake of FE1; FE12 is just a remake of 3B2.

id be totally down for a remake of 11 AND 12 as one game on the Switch, for the 30th anniversary; "Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadow Dragon and the Mystery of the Emblem".

1 hour ago, Cat Villager said:

Whether SoV gets good sales or not, people will be getting more obsessed with the idea of FE4 remake with each passing year. The moment SoV was announced we arguably entered into FE version of Pokemon remake cycle.

Pokemon will always sell. Big difference. Let's not forget how Nintendo almost axed the franchise if it didn't meet projections. This is still a business.

I don't think Nintendo should remake other FE games after this one unless its for the purpose of localization. Only thing that they can truly improve is the graphics and Story; most gameplay changes they will make will likely be met with negative reception (looking at both shadow dragon and SoV, most people are unhappy with the gameplay changes). there is pretty much 0 chance that map design will be changed and thats a key issue most people have with fire emblem games (particular FE1, FE2, FE3, and FE4) (not saying that i have issues with the map design in these games)..

On 2/27/2017 at 11:19 PM, Heruseus said:

So, I recently read a theory that states that Echoes is a series of remakes. Do you think so? The theory states we will get a Gaiden, Thracia 776, Binding Blade, New Mystery and Geneology of the Holy War remakes. 

Oh God I hope so. It would be especially perfect to remake ones that we're never released outside of Japan. I've been holding off playing Thracia and Geneology of the Holy War for this reason. 

Given the recent, and hopefully continued, sucess of the series they will see the need to do this. 

Edited by wslegolas

On 4/15/2017 at 8:45 PM, FoxyGrandpa said:

I don't think Nintendo should remake other FE games after this one unless its for the purpose of localization. Only thing that they can truly improve is the graphics and Story; most gameplay changes they will make will likely be met with negative reception (looking at both shadow dragon and SoV, most people are unhappy with the gameplay changes). there is pretty much 0 chance that map design will be changed and thats a key issue most people have with fire emblem games (particular FE1, FE2, FE3, and FE4) (not saying that i have issues with the map design in these games)..

So what you're saying is you hope they remake the games that weren't released outside of Japan (1-6) and not remake (7+) because the only things they would be remaking is updated graphics. I agree entirely! However, in 10 years from now or so, I would be okay with them remaking (7+) because people might not have had the chance to play them and they would be on pretty "old systems."

On 4/15/2017 at 7:45 PM, FoxyGrandpa said:

That's not 100% true. SoV looks like it has plenty of mapwork for modern appeal and game flow. Just look at the early snapshots of game comparison. Famitsu gave the game glowing scores, and while a couple gameplay features may be questionable choices, the game as a whole looks like a very good rework of the original. 

As for potential other remakes, I would love 4-6 especially to come over to the Americas. I have heard too many people praise Genealogy and not having a good way to play it is a bummer. Having Roy and Marcus with actual good growths would be nice too... And remakes of 7/8 would be a nicety, if not necessary right now. The former is the oldest western release, of course, and being able to manage Lyn's tutorial chapters would be nice. 

A Sacred Stones sequel would be pointless? Uhh... The potential fight over the final Stone isn't an interesting concept? And we learned too little of the countries whose names weren't Renais or Grado. 

Yes, Shadows of Valentia will be the only Echoes video game because nobody (except literally only Ghast) cares about Gaiden and the 3DS is old news in 2017 and thus the game will be the worst selling FE game ever and IS will lose faith in creating remakes and thus we can kiss Judgral remakes goodbye for eternity. 

Edited by Dandee Leone

5 hours ago, Dandee Leone said:

Yes, Shadows of Valentia will be the only Echoes video game because nobody (except literally only Ghast) cares about Gaiden and the 3DS is old news in 2017 and thus the game will be the worst selling FE game ever and IS will lose faith in creating remakes and thus we can kiss Judgral remakes goodbye for eternity. 

Excuse you good sir, there is a very sizable amount of people that enjoyed the original Gaiden and this remake blows it the fuck out of the water.

Even for myself Gaiden was in my top 4 FE games.

saying "no one cares about Gaiden" is very presumptuous.

Also, let's not forget Nintendo is doing a Heroes cross promotion with Echoes units in order to promote Echoes, so I have no doubt it will sell at minimum average for a 3DS game  and better than at least Tellius which was a commercial flop.

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

Well, for a while, I've believed that Echoes could be a subseries, but now I'm not so sure.

It might be the weirdest example, but in Fire Emblem Heroes, the world where the Valentian characters showed up is called the World of Echoes in Japan (World of Shadows over here). Given that, it sounds like they're tying the Echoes name to Gaiden specifically so I don't think we'll see another one.

Doesn't mean there won't be more remakes, just that I don't think they'll carry the Echoes name.

39 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Well, for a while, I've believed that Echoes could be a subseries, but now I'm not so sure.

It might be the weirdest example, but in Fire Emblem Heroes, the world where the Valentian characters showed up is called the World of Echoes in Japan (World of Shadows over here). Given that, it sounds like they're tying the Echoes name to Gaiden specifically so I don't think we'll see another one.

Doesn't mean there won't be more remakes, just that I don't think they'll carry the Echoes name.

Really? Well, if that's the case it's simultaneously obvious and sad. Obvious that it could get confusing as a subseries, sad that it would be kinda cool to give these "echoes of the past" some love.

Speaking of past, why is Awakening still in medieval... Never mind. Topic for another post. 

Well we're getting Gaiden so that's one. I would love for genealogy, thracia, and binding to get remade *especially since they have official names in the west due to the hero ballot* IDK if blazing will, if anything just normal VC would be fine. New Mystery so needs to just add in english text and ported to VC. They don't have to be in a echoes series for me, just as long as we get the remakes/release.

18 minutes ago, Isaacgs459 said:

Really? Well, if that's the case it's simultaneously obvious and sad. Obvious that it could get confusing as a subseries, sad that it would be kinda cool to give these "echoes of the past" some love.

Speaking of past, why is Awakening still in medieval... Never mind. Topic for another post. 

The only reason I can think of is that like with real world history, blades, bows/arrows, and armor were used for thousands of years. Guns were only introduced and became mainstream within the past 700 years tops.

22 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

Here's a weirder example.

Nintendo of Europe keeps referring to the game as "Fire Emblem Echoes" without the SoV subtitle in their eShop messages. So they're clearly intending for Echoes to be this game and this game only.

Granted, they could simply use the subtitle for a theoretical 2nd Echoes game to distinguish between the two games. Or call it Echoes 2 etc.

Either way, it's far too early to tell as I mentioned before, I think.

23 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

Excuse you good sir, there is a very sizable amount of people that enjoyed the original Gaiden and this remake blows it the fuck out of the water.

Even for myself Gaiden was in my top 4 FE games.

saying "no one cares about Gaiden" is very presumptuous.

Also, let's not forget Nintendo is doing a Heroes cross promotion with Echoes units in order to promote Echoes, so I have no doubt it will sell at minimum average for a 3DS game  and better than at least Tellius which was a commercial flop.

Try not to feed the person just trying to get a rise out of you. Its what he wants.

On 4/18/2017 at 8:09 AM, Isaacgs459 said:

That's not 100% true. SoV looks like it has plenty of mapwork for modern appeal and game flow. Just look at the early snapshots of game comparison. Famitsu gave the game glowing scores, and while a couple gameplay features may be questionable choices, the game as a whole looks like a very good rework of the original. 

The map designs are the literal same from gaiden though, so its going to be weak compared to say Conquest, Sacred Stones etc in that department. Echoes look very good visually and the mechanics seem to be touched up, but the map design is going to turn some off by default, which is what happened for some in Shadow Dragon even if the difficulties ramped that up. 

New Mystery did some alterations, so theres a chance they'd do a few, but if they end up doing 4 or 6 i'd rather them leave the maps alone, as they are good in their own ways, not for everyone, but quite good in scope and tactics in a few cases.

Also I wouldn't go off review scores in this day and age, reviewers are bias'd towards or against certain things, you have to make the calls and shots yourself.

Edited by Jedi

33 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Try not to feed the person just trying to get a rise out of you. Its what he wants.

The map designs are the literal same from gaiden though, so its going to be weak compared to say Conquest, Sacred Stones etc in that department. Echoes look very good visually and the mechanics seem to be touched up, but the map design is going to turn some off by default, which is what happened for some in Shadow Dragon even if the difficulties ramped that up. 

New Mystery did some alterations, so theres a chance they'd do a few, but if they end up doing 4 or 6 i'd rather them leave the maps alone, as they are good in their own ways, not for everyone, but quite good in scope and tactics in a few cases.

Also I wouldn't go off review scores in this day and age, reviewers are bias'd towards or against certain things, you have to make the calls and shots yourself.

Review scores are sometimes the best we have. Case in your favor would probably be the negative review scores of Yooka Laylee and it's poor framerates. Those were unfair with the day one patch. Yet were the majority of Zelda and Horizon are in agreeance that they were good games.

As for maps, Conquest had some bad maps. For example, chapter... 8? The ice village was unfair. Too many cheap deaths from being unable to move. Sacred Stones, however...  Outside of Ephraim desert, quality design looking back.

Edited by Isaacgs459

To be honest, I would love to see more remakes, especially Genealogy and Sacred Stones (Sacred Stones for dat Valter though).  But I suppose that the potential to get remakes depends on how well SoV does.