The Lore of Magic

1 hour ago, Extrasolar said:

That's the interview I was looking for! I couldn't find it for the life of me.

I understand how a tome could have a user restriction, in that the magic simply wouldn't activate for people who weren't designated as users.

Though I never really understood how the "only the designated person can wield this" weapons, or what exactly stops people from picking it up and trying it anyway? What, does it activate and shock anyone who holds it that isn't the wielder?

I liked the change to the Jugdral Holy Weapons in that one fan GBA remake of FE4 romhack, which let people without major blood wield the weapons, but not at their full potential; they didn't get the amazing stat boosts that the major-blooded wielders got. It makes much more sense, in my opinion.

My guess its the locks are more like a password i.e. without the "key" (which would likely be set based on the creator's preferences) the weapon's affects are disabled. (I'd speculate that if a non user tried to use it it would just be any other weapon(in case of physical weapons or an empty book(in case of magic) the only possible exception would be if they actually put an aspect of the wielder inside them.(i.e. Loptyr or Forseti)

One possible theory on the holy weapons of Jugdral is that for the most part they might not have initially planed for their long term use by descendants thus explaining why such excessive inbreeding would be needed to use them(i.e. closely related enough to trick the weapon into thinking the user is its hero) This line of though is more along the line of if they are like computers i.e.

If "password" Valid can use

Else can't use.

Put they could be far more complicated we really just don't know.

The only real way to check the limitations of the dragonstone seals would be to actually try and hack or trick them (which so far we haven't seen done unless the Jugdral weapons in FE 13 were subjected to that rather than it simply being an oversight). 

Aside from that instance the only real insight we have is the support between Lucina and her sibling regarding the Falchion where we are told that the weapon acts "dull" if used by a non registered user. That is what I used to base my speculation regarding it working like a password(where the password is blood related).

24 minutes ago, Dragrath said:

My guess its the locks are more like a password i.e. without the "key" (which would likely be set based on the creator's preferences) the weapon's affects are disabled. (I'd speculate that if a non user tried to use it it would just be any other weapon(in case of physical weapons or an empty book(in case of magic) the only possible exception would be if they actually put an aspect of the wielder inside them.(i.e. Loptyr or Forseti)

One possible theory on the holy weapons of Jugdral is that for the most part they might not have initially planed for their long term use by descendants thus explaining why such excessive inbreeding would be needed to use them(i.e. closely related enough to trick the weapon into thinking the user is its hero) This line of though is more along the line of if they are like computers i.e.

If "password" Valid can use

Else can't use.

Put they could be far more complicated we really just don't know.

The only real way to check the limitations of the dragonstone seals would be to actually try and hack or trick them (which so far we haven't seen done unless the Jugdral weapons in FE 13 were subjected to that rather than it simply being an oversight). 

Aside from that instance the only real insight we have is the support between Lucina and her sibling regarding the Falchion where we are told that the weapon acts "dull" if used by a non registered user. That is what I used to base my speculation regarding it working like a password(where the password is blood related).

I like this idea. I feel like it makes sense; it may be another reference to tabletop games, where a lot of magical weapons behave this way if they're "coded" to work only for certain classes. For example, a powerful magic sword could act just like a regular iron blade if held by anyone who isn't a paladin. I supposed FE took a page out of that book. Though I don't necessarily think the weapons are "tricked" into thinking it's the original user, but when they pick up on vestiges of a magical "signature" (the heroic bloodlines or something similar), then they activate.

Though considering the weapons are just flat-out unusable (grayed out and cannot be equipped, which makes sense for tomes, but not for physical weapons) by anybody but the designated user, I think it would be a bit better if they were usable, but with comparable stats to low-ranked weapons and without any of their perks.

Another thing I don't understand. So dragon-created/god-created weapons like the Falchion, Ragnell and Alondite are indestructible, which makes sense due to the high amounts of power flowing through them. But then the Jugdral Holy Weapons inexplicably drop this, and have limited uses like any common weapon. What...? How does that make any sense, considering these weapons were blessed by the gods eons ago and passed down through the generations.

Only the Falchion's hilt had to be reforged, while the blade was untouchable and remains the same as when it was originally used. The Jugdral weapons are made by dragons (and the Book of Naga by Naga herself, just like the Falchion is), so what changed?

How exactly do you "fix" the Blaggi Staff when it runs out of magic, for example?

Edited by Extrasolar

The whole uses on legendary weapons thing in Jugdral and other games is likely a gameplay balance concern (outside of Byron's broken Tyrfing, which is basically evidence of what he had to endure to get to his son), though repairability in Jugdral still allows the Holy Weapons to break the game. Unlimited uses on say Durandal and Armads in FE6 would be kinda broken, even factoring in the slow pace of weapon rank increases in that game. I would endorse unlimited uses on the Binding Blade though, and I would on all main character ultimate weapons save maybe the Renais Sacred Twins (they come a little too early).

I'll concur that letting non-Holy Blood users use the physical Holy Weapons, albeit without them being as good, should be permitted in FE... 17? Whenever the Jugdral remakes come. That said- why would a player bother having anyone use these weapons other than their true masters? That being the case, IS would likely use that as an excuse to avoid writing a few extra lines of code. Reduced but still extent stat bonuses for minor Holy Blood units, as I heard the FE Binary mod does, would also be fine by me and something IS should totally consider. Minor blood users could handle some draconic power without suffering from bodily or mental harm, but not as much as a full blooded person.

In FE13, thousands of years have passed since the Miracle of Darna where the Holy Weapons were created. A dragonstone over a long enough time I'd imagine would begin to have its power seep and dissipate into the surrounding environment if new energy wasn't being added and the stone itself repaired. Probably the power of the seals on the Holy Weapons faded away, allowing anyone with enough weapon mastery to access the residual draconic energies of the weapons. The Falchion would endure the same fate in all likelihood were it not for Naga reforging, sealing, and then unsealing and reforging again the sword every so often.

55 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The whole uses on legendary weapons thing in Jugdral and other games is likely a gameplay balance concern (outside of Byron's broken Tyrfing, which is basically evidence of what he had to endure to get to his son), though repairability in Jugdral still allows the Holy Weapons to break the game. Unlimited uses on say Durandal and Armads in FE6 would be kinda broken, even factoring in the slow pace of weapon rank increases in that game. I would endorse unlimited uses on the Binding Blade though, and I would on all main character ultimate weapons save maybe the Renais Sacred Twins (they come a little too early).

I'll concur that letting non-Holy Blood users use the physical Holy Weapons, albeit without them being as good, should be permitted in FE... 17? Whenever the Jugdral remakes come. That said- why would a player bother having anyone use these weapons other than their true masters? That being the case, IS would likely use that as an excuse to avoid writing a few extra lines of code. Reduced but still extent stat bonuses for minor Holy Blood units, as I heard the FE Binary mod does, would also be fine by me and something IS should totally consider. Minor blood users could handle some draconic power without suffering from bodily or mental harm, but not as much as a full blooded person.

In FE13, thousands of years have passed since the Miracle of Darna where the Holy Weapons were created. A dragonstone over a long enough time I'd imagine would begin to have its power seep and dissipate into the surrounding environment if new energy wasn't being added and the stone itself repaired. Probably the power of the seals on the Holy Weapons faded away, allowing anyone with enough weapon mastery to access the residual draconic energies of the weapons. The Falchion would endure the same fate in all likelihood were it not for Naga reforging, sealing, and then unsealing and reforging again the sword every so often.

Hmm I agree regarding the limited durability of legendary weapons in many of the older games after all Look at a certain Lobster Lord *Cough*

The time aspect does make a good bit of sense regarding the Holy weapons. Though the neglect with regard to the book of Naga does bother me in that context as after all Naga has managed to remain around so couldn't she fix her Tome? Though that would probably be more of a weakness on FE 13 rather than time passing.

It does bring to question whether a skilled enough mage(it might be beyond humans though) would be able to hack a locked weapon I would argue it is possible the limitation being that a being of that level of power would have little to no reason to do so :P

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I mean, I definitely understand the balance reasons, but I'm still confused over the in-universe reasons. No matter how look at it, having a finite durability weapon with literal godly power just doesn't make any sense, nor does it make sense that it can be "repaired." Do they just have a fountain of holy, magical dragon energy just lying around that they can pour back into the broken Tyrfing to get it working with its powers again? If that's the case, why couldn't they tap into it when forging regular swords and give those swords godly/magical powers? It boggles the mind.

Ragnell in POR/RD was unlimited uses - was it unbalanced in a lot of cases? Sure. But imo it would have been worse had it been limited uses, because then it just plain wouldn't make sense. Imo, making them limited uses causes far more narrative problems than it solves balance problems. I think they should have just pulled a Book of Naga (which should have also been unlimited use); make them unlimited uses, but don't give them to the player until the climax or very near it.

As for the Falchion, as seen in the Lucina/Owain supports, I believe that the blade itself went untouched, so it's literally the same blade that Naga forged for Anri 2000 years before Awakening, magic and all intact that prevents people without Anri's bloodline from using it. The hilt, however, had been broken and needed to be reforged... So I see no reason why the Holy Weapons of Jugdral would lose any of their magic

Edited by Extrasolar

I'd say it's just one of those cases that don't have an in-universe explanation, and don't need one either. It's quite clear it's just for the gameplay. In Genealogy, every single weapons has 50 uses, except for the few (mainly staves) that have 10. And also take note that every single weapon, even if it's just an iron sword, has unlimited uses when used by an enemy or NPC (not entirely sure on the last one). Even if said weapons are those that you received after their defeats. Trying to say there's an in-universe explanation for why only enemies have unlimitted use weapons even for things like iron weapons is just plain silly, I'd think.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd say it's just one of those cases that don't have an in-universe explanation, and don't need one either. It's quite clear it's just for the gameplay. In Genealogy, every single weapons has 50 uses, except for the few (mainly staves) that have 10. And also take note that every single weapon, even if it's just an iron sword, has unlimited uses when used by an enemy or NPC (not entirely sure on the last one). Trying to say there's an in-universe explanation for why only enemies have unlimitted use weapons even for things like iron weapons is just plain silly, I'd think.

Well yeah, but that's the easy (and imo boring) answer. There's always going to be things that exist purely for gameplay mechanics, like the inexplicable boomerang hand axes, but considering this is a lore thread, it would be nice to have in-universe consistency and justification for these oddities.

I mean, even if it's as simple as "the Holy Weapons drain the user's stamina/energy, and thus can only be used a safe number of times or the user risks dying" or something similar would be better than nothing, especially when other magical/holy weapons in FE have been unlimited uses.

Edited by Extrasolar

16 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Well yeah, but that's the easy (and imo boring) answer. There's always going to be things that exist purely for gameplay mechanics, like the inexplicable boomerang hand axes, but considering this is a lore thread, it would be nice to have in-universe consistency and justification for these oddities.

I mean, even if it's as simple as "the Holy Weapons drain the user's stamina/energy, and thus can only be used a safe number of times or the user risks dying" or something similar would be better than nothing, especially when other magical/holy weapons in FE have been unlimited users.

Being the easy and/or boring answer doesn't make it any less correct, though. You need to be aware where the line is drawn, especially in a lore speculation thread. Otherwise it unnecessarily convulates things.

To be fair, there's actually very few compared to ones who do. Not counting the games where weapon durability doesn't exist (Gaiden/SoV and Fates), it's just been the Falchion (every incarnation), Ragnell, Alondite, and Amiti. Unless you want to count those wielded by enemies, like Imhullu and the Exceshacs. Other than that you only have weapons who are part-time unlimited. Like the Holy Weapons of Jugdral when used by an enemy or NPC, and Holsety in Thraccia776, which has unlimited uses when Sety is an NPC, but then switches to 20 uses when he becomes a PC. Would that really need an explanation other than "it's a game"?

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I'm considering the Awakening ritual to be a reforging of the Falchion. Not quite a literal one, but Naga is unleashing its power, and probably adding a little fresh power to it too. I mean the blade looks nothing like it does in Marth's games. I speculate that the first Exalt took the Falchion to Naga, and Naga modified it to make it extra effective on Grima, changing its physical shape in the process.

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Being the easy and/or boring answer doesn't make it any less correct, though. You need to be aware where the line is drawn, especially in a lore speculation thread. Otherwise it unnecessarily convulates things.

To be fair, there's actually very few compared to ones who do. Not counting the games where weapon durability doesn't exist (Gaiden/SoV and Fates), it's just been the Falchion (every incarnation), Ragnell, Alondite, and Amiti. Other than that you only have weapons who are part-time unlimited. Like the Holy Weapons of Jugdral when used by an enemy or NPC, and Holsety in Thraccia776, which has unlimited uses when Sety is an NPC, but then switches to 20 uses when he becomes a PC. Would that really need an explanation?

You can't really say something "unnecessarily convolutes" things in, again, a lore speculation thread. If you don't want to think about it, fine, but don't say that I'm wrong for trying to come up with an in-universe explanation.

I mean, we can bring up gameplay to dismiss literally every piece of lore in the series. Why are regular tomes limited uses in most of the games? Well, because the game wants you to spend money to buy more once they run out, think strategically and be careful with when and where you use them. Sure, that may be the technically "correct" answer, but that doesn't explain why the magic runs out in-universe, and imho, is a boring way to think about it. I'm a creative person. I like lore and fiction.

And yes, there are fewer, but they still exist, and thus, can be brought up as a strange inconsistency in-universe.

And I can think of one right now: The weapons when in enemy hands have durability, but it's invisible to the player and other units. When they switch over, you get the uses left of what they had.

Edited by Extrasolar

10 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

You can't really say something "unnecessarily convolutes" things in, again, a lore speculation thread. If you don't want to think about it, fine, but don't say that I'm wrong for trying to come up with an in-universe explanation.

I mean, we can bring up gameplay to dismiss literally every piece of lore in the series. Why are regular tomes limited uses in most of the games? Well, because the game wants you to spend money to buy more once they run out, think strategically and be careful with when and where you use them. Sure, that may be the technically "correct" answer, but that doesn't explain why the magic runs out in-universe, and imho, is a boring way to think about it. I'm a creative person. I like lore and fiction.

And yes, there are fewer, but they still exist, and thus, can be brought up as a strange inconsistency in-universe.

And I can think of one right now: The weapons when in enemy hands have durability, but it's invisible to the player and other units. When they switch over, you get the uses left of what they had.

On the contrary. It is because we are discussing a video game series. This isn't a book, or a movie, where there's only one reality. Video games have two: the reality of the setting, and the reality of the gameplay. And while the wall between them can blur or even disappear in some areas, in others it will be as solid and sturdy to segregate instead of integrate.

It's up to the writers if they want to assign an in-universe explanation for such things. For your weapon durabilty example, that's why people in-game bring up that weapons break, and the magic in the books/tomes rans out. But as a video game, the gameplay has to come first. And you're right, the uses thing is so you don't just use them without restrain. That's why for Fates they instead gave the weapons stat penalties rather than uses.

Well, we can put that to the test. We'd just need the game itself, and have an enemy use its weapon, then see how it passes over to a PC. Sadly, I don't, but we could ask around if anyone has tried to test that, or do the test now.

10 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

On the contrary. It is because we are discussing a video game series. This isn't a book, or a movie, where there's only one reality. Video games have two: the reality of the setting, and the reality of the gameplay. And while the wall between them can blur or even disappear in some areas, in others it will be as solid and sturdy to segregate instead of integrate.

It's up to the writers if they want to assign an in-universe explanation for such things. For your weapon durabilty example, that's why people in-game bring up that weapons break, and the magic in the books/tomes rans out. But as a video game, the gameplay has to come first. And you're right, the uses thing is so you don't just use them without restrain. That's why for Fates they instead gave the weapons stat penalties rather than uses.

Well, we can put that to the test. We'd just need the game itself, and have an enemy use its weapon, then see how it passes over to a PC. Sadly, I don't, but we could ask around if anyone has tried to test that, or do the test now.

I don't understand... You came here to a lore speculation thread to bring up "well this is this way because of gameplay mechanics which don't exist in universe, so stop thinking about it." Do you realize that you're literally running contrary to what this thread is about?

Yes. You're right. This is a video game. But the characters and the game world don't know that. Nobody in Jugdral says "Well, Seliph, sorry but your magical ancestral sword forged by a god only has 50 uses because game balance, of course!" This is a video game, yes but it's also a fantasy world, with its own rules and lore, comparable to a fantasy novel or film. Stand to reason that in-universe reasons could exist (and should exist) for a lot of the gameplay weirdness or inconsistencies.

And yes, it is up to the writers to assign an in-universe explanation. But here's the thing. Sometimes they don't. And fans can come in and fill in the gaps. Are you saying that it's wrong to do so, and people should just shut up and accept the "it's gameplay so yeah" explanation? Because, I'm sorry, but I'm not content with that.

I have never seen anyone explain why the magic of a tome runs out in-series. Do you have a citation?

Edited by Extrasolar

13 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

I don't understand... You came here to a lore speculation thread to bring up "well this is this way because of gameplay mechanics which don't exist in universe, so stop thinking about it." Do you realize that you're literally running contrary to what this thread is about?

Yes. You're right. This is a video game. But the characters and the game world don't know that. Nobody in Jugdral says "Well, Seliph, sorry but your magical ancestral sword forged by a god only has 50 uses because game balance, of course!" This is a video game, yes but it's also a fantasy world, with its own rules and lore, comparable to a fantasy novel or film. Stand to reason that in-universe reasons could exist (and should exist) for a lot of the gameplay weirdness or inconsistencies.

And yes, it is up to the writers to assign an in-universe explanation. But here's the thing. Sometimes they don't. And fans can come in and fill in the gaps. Are you saying that it's wrong to do so, and people should just shut up and accept the "it's gameplay so yeah" explanation? Because, I'm sorry, but I'm not content with that.

I have never seen anyone explain why the magic of a tome runs out in-series. Do you have a citation?

It's not running contraty, it's just advocating for restrain and reason.

Maybe not in Jugdral... but over yonder in Elibe...

Hugh: Hey!
Ray: Oh.
Hugh: There you are! I never would’ve guessed you’d be here in this army. I’ve been looking all over for you!
Ray: …Well, I sure wasn’t looking for you.
Hugh: Taking advantage of my kindness like that… This is why I don’t like kids. Now give me back my Resire book.
Ray: Ah, yes. That thing.
Hugh: …You haven’t used it up already, have you?
Ray: ……
Hugh: …Hey…
Ray: …Calm down, I’ve got it. I was just borrowing it. I was planning on giving it back to you some day.
Hugh: Y-You little runt… You said you just wanted to see it for a sec, so I lent it to you. I wasn’t expecting you to take it and run off!
Ray: Look, I’ve said this a million times. I’m borrowing it, not stealing it.
Hugh: Well, when are you going to return it?
Ray: Well, let’s see… I suppose I’ll give it back to you after I use it twenty times.
Hugh: You’d better keep your word!
Ray: Of course.

*Ray leaves*

Hugh: …Oh, well, I guess I’ll just have to wait… …Whoa, wait a minute! It’ll be gone by the time you use it twenty times!

From their C support.

Well, you need to ask yourself, do the writers don't add an explanation due to design, or oversight? I would doubt they don't fully integrate the story and the gameplay for no reason.

I can go look if there's someone explaining why they ran out of magic. But as seen in the support I've quoted, we know at least that Elibian tomes do, in fact, ran out.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

23 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's not running contraty, it's just advocating for restrain and reason.

Maybe not in Jugdral... but over yonder in Elibe...

From their C support.

Well, you need to ask yourself, do the writers don't add an explanation due to design, or oversight? I would doubt they don't fully integrate the story and the gameplay for no reason.

I can go look if there's someone explaining why they ran out of magic. But as seen in the support I've quoted, we know at least that Elibian tomes do, in fact, ran out.

Honestly I think the developers either plain just don't bother to create in-universe explanations for a lot of the gameplay weird things if they're minor enough, or have them for more important things, but don't have the space or time to include them.

For the latter point, take the interview on Archanean magic quoted up there; none of that is anywhere in the game(s), but it shows that they definitely thought out their magic system and how it works using in-universe explanations of deities and nature spirits, and what have you, so I honestly wouldn't put it past them for there being an in-universe reason for limited use Holy Weapons (the closest I can theorize I've already given, because other than that, it doesn't make much sense)...oh, and also, Siegfried, Fujin Yumi, Raijinto, and Brynhildr adding to the pool for infinite use sacred/blessed weapons. Forgot to mention them. (Granted, all from the same game, but still...)

On the contrary, I think that the boomerang hand axe example is more of what you're saying - that it's pure gameplay, and doesn't necessarily need an explanation, because how else would the unit get their axe back after throwing it? It's less strange than depicting them having to jog over to where the axe fell and pick it back up again...or just have them inexplicably clone more hand axes out of nowhere like Awakening/Fates hand axes. Point is, it's a very minor thing that I doubt has much real significance in the long run.

Magic is much more important/significant to the worlds and lore of FE, and as we're trying to speculate as much as we can about how it works given the somewhat limited information that the stories themselves give us.

That explains that they do run out of magic, which is obvious, but not why they run out of magic. I don't think there exists a why reason that's been officially stated. It obviously can't be because of game balance in-universe.

Edited by Extrasolar

11 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

That explains that they do run out of magic, which is obvious, but not why they run out of magic. I don't think there exists a why reason that's been officially stated. It obviously can't be because of game balance in-universe.

If the "tomes and staves are batteries" lore caries over to Elibe, doesn't that imply that the magic runs out and they have to infuse magic into a new object? Seems pretty straight forward to me.

5 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

If the "tomes and staves are batteries" lore caries over to Elibe, doesn't that imply that the magic runs out and they have to infuse magic into a new object? Seems pretty straight forward to me.

You're right, I went back and reread the excerpt. So it seems like the breakable tomes has an explanation after all. But I still don't think it explains the godly ones...theoretically, they'd have an infinite well of energy to draw from.

Not to mention, if you need to reinfuse magic into them, is it a case of spontaneously drawing on the same godly power again? Are they recommunicating with Naga, Holsety, and Salamander again to get it "re-blessed" or something similar? That would be an interesting angle to spin it.

Edited by Extrasolar

Just now, Extrasolar said:

You're right, I went back and reread the excerpt. So it seems like the breakable tomes has an explanation after all. But I still don't think it explains the godly ones...theoretically, they'd have an infinite well of energy to draw from.

Pure speculations here (and it may just boil down to gameplay balance) but perhaps the power source of legendary items are unlimited but the actual materials of the book are "mortal" and will eventually degrade with usage.

1 minute ago, NekoKnight said:

Pure speculations here (and it may just boil down to gameplay balance) but perhaps the power source of legendary items are unlimited but the actual materials of the book are "mortal" and will eventually degrade with usage.

Hmm, I can kind of see how that makes sense, but how would they have survived the century between the Twelve Crusaders' use of the weapons and their descendants' use of the weapons? Unless they had some way to "repair" them in the meantime.

Hmm, I can kind of see how that makes sense, but how would they have survived the century between the Twelve Crusaders' use of the weapons and their descendants' use of the weapons? Unless they had some way to "repair" them in the meantime.

It could be that the process of restoring from the source requires a channeling process (though this wouldn't explain the rest of items in that game being repairable so It probably is a mute points)

In a way, I think you answered your own question.

7 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

Only the Falchion's hilt had to be reforged, while the blade was untouchable and remains the same as when it was originally used. The Jugdral weapons are made by dragons (and the Book of Naga by Naga herself, just like the Falchion is), so what changed?

If what you said about the Falcion only needing the hilt to be reforged is true, then one could speculate that all legendary weapons have some eternal component combined with more base materials. The base materials can and need to be repaired over time but the part of the weapon that was blessed/empowered will stay the same.

4 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

In a way, I think you answered your own question.

If what you said about the Falcion only needing the hilt to be reforged is true, then one could speculate that all legendary weapons have some eternal component combined with more base materials. The base materials can and need to be repaired over time but the part of the weapon that was blessed/empowered will stay the same.

Oh, that's a good point! I never thought of it that way; that definitely makes sense, and since Genealogy is in the same world as Awakening, perhaps legendary weapons on their planet aren't 100% indestructible the way that Ragnell and Alondite are. Perhaps instead of the blades of, say, Tyrfing or Gae Bolg needing to be reforged/fixed, it's the hilt or shaft that needs to be repaired due to stress and wear. I can get behind that. Headcanon accepted.

And as for tomes, I'm going to theorize that only a set amount of the godly power is within at any time; once it's all used up, the tome user (or staff user in the case of the Blaggi staff) must communicate with their patron and get the magic restored in some sort of ritual.

Edited by Extrasolar

12 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

Another thing I don't understand. So dragon-created/god-created weapons like the Falchion, Ragnell and Alondite are indestructible, which makes sense due to the high amounts of power flowing through them. But then the Jugdral Holy Weapons inexplicably drop this, and have limited uses like any common weapon. What...? How does that make any sense, considering these weapons were blessed by the gods eons ago and passed down through the generations.

How exactly do you "fix" the Blaggi Staff when it runs out of magic, for example?

Complete speculation, but this is what makes sense to me, what makes the weapons so special is indeed the dragonstones on the weapon, and they are otherwise made of a normal alloy, ornate but still quite ordinary weapons. Meaning that when the components of the weapon wear out, they only need to repair said part of the weapon, but the dragonstone will never run out of their dragon power. This would make it possible to the weapon to break, but the energy source doesen't run out.

The exception to this is the Falchion, which is made from a fang of Naga, giving it it's unbreakable quality.

But this is just specualtion

This is again solely for the Akaneian universe, and the others might have some deviations depending on the universe and creation of the weapon

Edited by ClassyWolf