If you could create a sidestory/gaiden game starring any character(s) of your choice, who would you choose and why?

Extrasolar

So we all know that Leif got his own game after Genealogy, with him taking the fight to Travant in Thracia 776, but if you had the chance to make a canon sidestory game starring any character or characters of your choice, who would you choose and why? What would the plot of your game be?

Personally, I'd go with a prequel to Path of Radiance, starring Gawain, Elena, and the Four Riders, because that time period is rife with potential considering we only get vague references to it at best. And this time, we'd actually see Lanvega and Lillia. I'd have it start in the middle of Gawain's heyday as one of the Four Riders and Ashnard would come to power suddenly and start ordering things like raids and extermination missions in Gallia, with Zelgius as a brand new recruit training underneath Gawain. I'd have Rajaion as a really tough boss that Gawain and the Riders have to bring down when Ashnard holds baby Soren and Almedha hostage. It would end around the time that Gawain and Elena flee to found the Greil Mercenaries, and when they recruit the original mercenaries.

A few optional/sidestory chapters in the game would be some of the Greil Mercenaries' earliest missions, which are mentioned in supports in Path of Radiance.

Edited by Extrasolar

A new game taking place on a new island off the coast of Magvel. And L'Arachel's the protagonist.

Okay, I guess you can't write a serious story if she's the protagonist. But her, Dozla, and Rennac are definitely the characters from SS I most see showing up in a far off land getting wrapped up in a conflict that shouldn't concern them. 

A prequel to SS staring the five heroes of Magvel and Morva.

SS, despite being my favourite game, has literally no history what so ever other then 'Oh BTW, there was a war and five people sealed away the Demon King and then founded the different countries. But also, the dragon is the secret hero cause all but one of the five heroes got corrupted by the Demon King.'

I think a game where we see the five heroes, Morva, Dara plus other characters obviously (Especially Carcino characters since we got like what three or four characters with semi-development and only one playable) and got development on Magvel as a whole would be good.

Edited by Azz

Either a game about the Scouring, or about Chrom's Dad.

More likely the latter.

We never learn much about the war Chrom's dad started, hell, we don't even know his name.  The supposedly gigantic crusade is mentioned all of once in Awakening proper.  I want that expanded.  

I always wondered what happened to Lachesis, Sylvia, and Ayra after Generation 1...

And where did Stefan learn how to wield a sword so well despite living in solitude in Tellius.

I also feel that Zelgius and Shirahan were mysterious, so their story may be interesting too.

Lastly, Nailah and Volug came from a country that isn't on the Tellius map, so I wonder what Eastern Tellius is like. The map just cuts off and we don't see the ocean on the eastern side. I'm curious what may be over there. Is it just Hatari, or are there more countries?

31 minutes ago, Azz said:

SS, despite being my favourite game, has literally no history what so ever other then 'Oh BTW, there was a war and five people sealed away the Demon King and then founded the different countries. But also, the dragon is the secret hero cause all but one of the five heroes got corrupted by the Demon King.'

I think a game where we see the five heroes, Morva, Dara plus other characters obviously (Especially Carcino characters since we got like what three or four characters with semi-development and only one playable) and got development on Magvel as a whole would be good.

Exactly, that would be cool! I remembered creating a short fan fiction story about those heroes who sealed Formotiis. 

Reyson because bias

But realistically, I would say maybe one of Tibarn, Ranulf, or maybe Naesala. I would really like some spin offs based on the laguz experiences after the events of RD and I'd think it'd be interesting to explore how they're doing after all the beorc are gone (sadly). 

So I might be cheating here but all of them.

I want a download service that provides the player with single maps or mini campaigns (say 3-5 chapters). Instead of a traditional train the same characters for 20 chapters, it would provide the player with preset characters and weapons, sort of like Fate's DLC (though in the mini campaigns like Heirs of Fates you should keep the same characters). Basically a revival of the Archanea Saga except covering the whole franchise. The series does have a lot of side stories like that which can be focused on but I feel trying to force a full game out of them would feel contrived. Like the Greil example brought up in the OP. Sounds good but would the climax be some basic missions for money? Not all that climactic. You'd need to shove in some kind of threatening side villain but then why were they never mentioned before? The nature of the story would also mean the number of recruitable characters would need to be pretty small since Gawain fled his country. He didn't flee it with forty to sixty people (unless he did and the Greil Mercenaries had some monstrously high casualty rates!). Overall it'd work as a shorter more focused story with about five or so chapters dedicated to it. aside from a Greil story, pretty much any idea someone mentioned here could fit into this framework (though something like Chrom's dad where we have so little information could also work as full game). They could call it Fire Emblem Legends or Fire Emblem Chronicle. Something like that. It's an idea I've mentioned before and it's something I want discussing and wanting. Because in modern times the fanbase actually has the power to make stuff like that happen.

1 hour ago, Gustavos said:

A new game taking place on a new island off the coast of Magvel. And L'Arachel's the protagonist.

Okay, I guess you can't write a serious story if she's the protagonist. But her, Dozla, and Rennac are definitely the characters from SS I most see showing up in a far off land getting wrapped up in a conflict that shouldn't concern them. 

39 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

I always wondered what happened to Lachesis, Sylvia, and Ayra after Generation 1...

And where did Stefan learn how to wield a sword so well despite living in solitude in Tellius.

I also feel that Zelgius and Shirahan were mysterious, so their story may be interesting too.

Lastly, Nailah and Volug came from a country that isn't on the Tellius map, so I wonder what Eastern Tellius is like. The map just cuts off and we don't see the ocean on the eastern side. I'm curious what may be over there. Is it just Hatari, or are there more countries?

These would be my two, but more like what the first gen people who survived the Battle of Belhalla were doing during Thracia and 2nd Gen.

Also, a side story for Nino, Linus, and Lloyd.

1 hour ago, Dandy Druid said:

In my hypothetical game, we'd get some backstory from Stefan:

Spoiler

He'd have originated from a backwoods Daein village during the height of Daein racism and anti-Branded sentiment; when he was little more than a toddler, his father would have tried to kill both him and his mother upon seeing the child's Brand, suspecting infidelity. She fled with him, but despised him as well, to the point that she wouldn't feed or care for him. So he'd have been on his own for a good portion of his life, taking up the sword out of necessity to feed himself.

He'd show up as a wanderer basically searching for purpose, bitter and angry at the world (around the same as as he is in POR/RD, if not a bit younger-looking, since Branded age shenanigans), and would fall in as a sellsword for Gawain's group. He'd participate in their battles for a bit, chat up Gawain about how the world sucks, participate in their flight from Daein, and vanish mysteriously after Greil and Elena reach Gallia, as not to be killed during Greil's rampage with the medallion.

Zelgius would definitely be one of the focus characters in my game, while Shiharam would have an expanded role as a party member. He'd be one of the people incredulous over Ashnard's rise to power, but powerless to do anything to stop him or disobey his orders handed down from the senators. Also, young Haar as the green, awkward recruit to Shiharam's dragon riders would be there too.

But I really like your idea of seeing the other side of Tellius, with hopefully the wolves playing a much larger role. Hopefully there's more countries over there, with their own struggles and such. That would be interesting to explore. With Ike having taken off (possibly with Soren and Ranulf in tow) for parts unknown at the end of Radiant Dawn, a sequel game with him and company falling into a conflict over on the other side of Tellius could be pretty interesting.

1 hour ago, Ciarre said:

Reyson because bias

But realistically, I would say maybe one of Tibarn, Ranulf, or maybe Naesala. I would really like some spin offs based on the laguz experiences after the events of RD and I'd think it'd be interesting to explore how they're doing after all the beorc are gone (sadly). 

A game starring Reyson would be pretty sweet. But what would even the plot be. Lol. Funny enough, I actually wrote a fanfiction at one point about what happened after Ike and company mysteriously disappeared from Tellius for a time...and let's just say it went bad quickly, especially for the laguz in question.

Spoiler

Basically, an invading force from the other side of the world came in and conquered Tellius. Ike overheard what had happened and come back to fight it, but by then it was too late, and they had conquered pretty much every corner of the continent.

Partially out of pressure from the invading force and partially out of greed, Naesala sold his wife Leanne for a gigantic sum of gold (enough to literally have a horde of gold filling his throne room), and had a tapestry woven of her to hang in his throne room. He's crazy enough that he continues talking to it like it's her. Kilvas went isolationist, with no ravens allowed to leave the island. They kind of just stand around paying lip service to their crazy king.

Tibarn was beaten by a younger, more powerful hawk and stripped of his title as king. He kind of fell into a depression. He's still alive, but the hawks basically turned savage underneath the new hawk's rule and eat any humans that stray into their waters. Janaff and Ulki try to snap him out of it, but to no real avail.

Caineghis went missing, with many presuming him dead. Skrimir was kind of catapuled into leadership far before he was ready, and thus, is stressed out and disorganized, with Ranulf desperately trying to run damage control.

Reyson was kidnapped by the conquering army to serve as essentially a slave keeping their armies energized.

Kurthnaga is a well-meaning, but slightly weak-willed king, who is threatened into subservience by the conquering force because they're currently holding his nephew, Rajaion (son of the original Rajaion) hostage, and if the dragons make any move against him, they promise that the child will be killed.

The wolves haven't been seen on Tellius proper in years; they retreated to the Hatari desert with Stefan, whose community of Branded is thriving due to the influx of refugees from main Tellius. Rafiel is with them, worried about his siblings. Naiah is mostly content with her people safe.

In a last ditch effort, Ike leads an army of willing rebels against the capitol... He disappears, and is presumed dead. Then Ike from the past travels to the Bad Future, but that's a story for another day.

54 minutes ago, Jotari said:

So I might be cheating here but all of them.

I want a download service that provides the player with single maps or mini campaigns (say 3-5 chapters). Instead of a traditional train the same characters for 20 chapters, it would provide the player with preset characters and weapons, sort of like Fate's DLC (though in the mini campaigns like Heirs of Fates you should keep the same characters). Basically a revival of the Archanea Saga except covering the whole franchise. The series does have a lot of side stories like that which can be focused on but I feel trying to force a full game out of them would feel contrived. Like the Greil example brought up in the OP. Sounds good but would the climax be some basic missions for money? Not all that climactic. You'd need to shove in some kind of threatening side villain but then why were they never mentioned before? The nature of the story would also mean the number of recruitable characters would need to be pretty small since Gawain fled his country. He didn't flee it with forty to sixty people (unless he did and the Greil Mercenaries had some monstrously high casualty rates!). Overall it'd work as a shorter more focused story with about five or so chapters dedicated to it. aside from a Greil story, pretty much any idea someone mentioned here could fit into this framework (though something like Chrom's dad where we have so little information could also work as full game). They could call it Fire Emblem Legends or Fire Emblem Chronicle. Something like that. It's an idea I've mentioned before and it's something I want discussing and wanting. Because in modern times the fanbase actually has the power to make stuff like that happen.

That's kind of a neat idea...I like it for the smaller bits of story we get.

Answering questions about my idea: I wasn't thinking that the climax would be the first few Greil Mercenaries missions (the climax is the fleeing from the pursuing Daein army, where Zelgius and the other three Riders are fought in their attempts to stop Gawain from leaving), but that they'd be side content. The main game would end after Greil and Elena settle down to start the Mercenaries.

For instance, one map is the chapter where Rhys is recruited to join, with a bunch of bandits having kidnapped Rhys because they want a healer, and are menacing him and his parents. There's another where Oscar is with a detachment of Crimean Knights, and has to rush to the aid of a village that is being attacked, and runs into Gawain and company when the knights are the verge of being wiped out. Stuff like that.

The villains of those chapters would be small-time, generic bandit thugs, of course.

Edited by Extrasolar

I'm going to say the Scouring. It would be cool seeing the legendary heroes in their prime and it would be interesting to see the conflict that eventually leads into a full on war between humanity and dragons. There is also the plots of Idunn, Jahn and the founding of Arcadia. I think if would be interesting if there were factions within the dragons and humans with mixed loyalties that duked it out before the final conflict that was purely dragons vs humans.

4 hours ago, Azz said:

4 hours ago, Gustavos said:

These two, especially the second one because I love L'Arachel.

Besides SS is the only FE game taking place in the continent of Magvel

@1japanfan Yeah. Most of the men died at Belhalla, but all of the women survived. Well except maybe Ayra, but her fate was MIA. So nobody knows what happened to her. And Lachesis and Sylvia disappear afterwards too (Lachesis much later though). It would be interesting to know their whereabouts, since their fates are the most unknown.

@Extrasolar That's a cool backstory for Stefan, and it makes sense for his character. Maybe a game for Paris, Ike's descendant, can take place on the other end of Tellius, and that Tellius is actually bigger than what we thought.

I just remembered that Judgral has the interesting backstory of the 12 Crusaders. That also may be interesting to make into a Gaiden-like game. It would clear up why they allowed Maira to live and reproduce.

EDIT: Oh I like your idea about the Nino, Linus, and Lloyd backstory. The Black Fang made for such interesting villains.

Edited by Dandy Druid
I wanted to add more.

1 hour ago, Dandy Druid said:

@1japanfan Yeah. Most of the men died at Belhalla, but all of the women survived. Well except maybe Ayra, but her fate was MIA. So nobody knows what happened to her. And Lachesis and Sylvia disappear afterwards too (Lachesis much later though). It would be interesting to know their whereabouts, since their fates are the most unknown.

@Extrasolar That's a cool backstory for Stefan, and it makes sense for his character. Maybe a game for Paris, Ike's descendant, can take place on the other end of Tellius, and that Tellius is actually bigger than what we thought.

I just remembered that Judgral has the interesting backstory of the 12 Crusaders. That also may be interesting to make into a Gaiden-like game. It would clear up why they allowed Maira to live and reproduce.

EDIT: Oh I like your idea about the Nino, Linus, and Lloyd backstory. The Black Fang made for such interesting villains.

Maria's rebellion was a separate event from the Crusaders...crusade. It took place decades (maybe even over a century) before hand. At least that's what I remember from the timeline. I suppose I could go look it up to find out exactly how many years but that would take effort.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Maria's rebellion was a separate event from the Crusaders...crusade. It took place decades (maybe even over a century) before hand. At least that's what I remember from the timeline. I suppose I could go look it up to find out exactly how many years but that would take effort.

I know there is a WIP fan game with Galle as the main character on his quest for power, imagine when you first saw hundred of giant dragons killing each others and you are the witness.

I'd be interested in seeing how the Galle family actually functioned at the height of its power. We know there were with hunts (and Maria exists) so that implies there were brothers, cousins, nephews etc of Galle. It'd be interesting to see how they were treated by the empire and Loptosu himself. The emperor would also always have a son called Galle that would basically be Lopt's next host. I wonder would he swap over when his current one was getting too old. Would the heir basically be confined to house arrest until its time to become emperor or would he be a field commander putting down rebellions. A lot of potential for some interesting, horrible and tragic characters with the set up.

6 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Lachesis

didn't she get petrified or something? I do remember that happening to Briggid (Eyvel), but iirc, something like that also happened to her.

4 hours ago, SullyMcGully said:

The Adventures of Matthew! Legault!

YUP! I would totally want this.

EDIT: I feel like I sounded rude, but yes, I think a side game with Legault as the main character sound interesting. Maybe a game about his time as part of the Black Fang?

Edited by Flee Fleet!

3 hours ago, SullyMcGully said:

The Adventures of Matthew! A game that follows everybody's favorite spy in the period between FE7 and FE6, with stealth-based gameplay and cameos from Raven and Priscilla!

Not denying that a Matthew-based game would be cool, because I just like him in general, especially if he was voice-acted like he is in Heroes. Not quite sure how "stealth-based gameplay" would work in a strategy RPG setting...what exactly do you mean by that?

3 hours ago, Tuvy said:

A game about Donnel's dad. (I'm half serious and half joking)

It might be interesting. I think it would be fun to play as a villager having some sort of off-the-wall, way-over-his-head adventure before settling down with a wife and having a son. I think it would be a pretty cute game. A little depressing, since you'd know what would become of him in the end, lol.

4 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

didn't she get petrified or something? I do remember that happening to Briggid (Eyvel), but iirc, something like that also happened to her.

Yup. She did. I believe that in the notes, Raquesis, Azelle and Sylvia were petrified out in the desert, as the intention was that they'd come back in the hypothetical third generation of the game that never came to light.

10 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Thanks! Yeah, one of my goals was to flesh out Stefan, since he's a lot of missed potential as he is in the canon series, imo. Also as a way to explain his whole "world weary and wise" personality. The guy's been around and seen things. So my idea of a prequel is to give him context, and my idea in a potential sequel is to feature him and his Branded village a whole lot more.

The adventures of Priam on other side Tellius could be cool, and we'd end with him going through the Dragon's Gate and stumbling upon Ylisse. Though by his time, a good number of the original Tellius characters would be dead or very old, barring the dragons and some of the laguz. So you'd feature a cast of pretty much all original characters (with hopefully some Branded and wolves in the mix).

Ooh, a game featuring the Crusaders would be pretty awesome, from the rough start of their rebellion against the Loptyr Empire to them hitting god mode (basically literally) and powering up with the Holy Weapons.. We already have the designs for all 12, a lot of personality for them to start off with. Final boss is already made for us too. Not to mention, it would finally put to rest that whole debate over whether Ulir is male or female (I always thought she was a woman, personally).

Edited by Extrasolar

The crusaders war with the Lopt empire lasted nearly 40 years. Even after getting the Holy Weapons it took them over fifteen years to finally defeat Loptyr. Seeing such a long protracted conflict with the same characters all aging up throughout the game would be interesting. We could actually have a combined 1st and 2nd generation fighting together without it being monstrously forced.

My bias would pick Ryoma or Freddy, but I don't know what kind of story could star them...

So I'll say another Magvel game, doesn't really matter who's the main character. :P

Probably one about Ashera's 3 Heroes. Or the beginning of PoR from Elincia's retainers perspective and how they were forced to go into hiding after Daien invades (shrugs). Undercover stuff and all that.Her retainers are just an interesting all-round group that I felt were just a little too neglected ( and not only in the stats department -_- save for Geo ).

14 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

My bias would pick Ryoma or Freddy, but I don't know what kind of story could star them...

So I'll say another Magvel game, doesn't really matter who's the main character. :P

Hmm, I could see Jotari's mini, 3 - 5 chapter game idea working for Ryoma and Frederick. For Ryoma, maybe we find out what he was up to while he was mysteriously missing for all of those chapters in Birthright, and Frederick could...I don't know, do something knightly while away on a mission assigned by Chrom.

8 minutes ago, tailfin said:

Probably one about Ashera's 3 Heroes. Or the beginning of PoR from Elincia's retainers perspective and how they were forced to go into hiding after Daien invades (shrugs). Undercover stuff and all that.Her retainers are just an interesting all-round group that I felt were just a little too neglected ( and not only in the stats department -_- save for Geo ).

I would love to see a game starring the Three Heroes, but it always seemed to be like they won the war against Yune solo, in more of a hack and slash fashion than a field an army fashion. Not saying a game with just the three of them wrecking face against an army of chumps couldn't work, but I think it would feel a little strange. It would give us an opportunity for more development with Dheginsea, we'd give Soan a personality, and get more development of Altina and Lehran's relationship. Not to mention, dual-wielding Altina would just be cool to see.

Your second idea is a cool one, and could work for the smaller format game. Anything that gives Kieran more screen time. :P: Seeing more Lucia would be neat too.

Edited by Extrasolar