Custom Battler and Pointer Questions

turtleofdoom

Question 1: Creating custom battle animation: I am going to create my own battle animation using the brigand sprite as a base. In fact, the animation is entirely the same except for a custom look (i.e. the brigand has hair and beard). I was wondering if there is a template used to get this working in FEditor format. Even if someone has the base structure of the original brigand that would be super helpful as I would know where to position each frame. As a whole, I was a little confused by the makeup of what is described in the tutorial with how all the sprites are compiled and with sound effects.

Question 2: Pointers for additional characters and portraits: I would like to add more characters, portraits, and battle animations to Fire Emblem 7 for a mod. For adding additional characters, I assume I need to repoint the character block to free space. However, for adding additional portraits and battle animations, is it safe to increase the maximum portraits/animation in FEditor to a higher value? I would assume that this could cause issues. Do these need to be repointed to free space as well?

Moved this topic to the Questions subforum.

Question 1: Use the render edition of FEditor and dump the brigand frames (the script will get exported to). Then edit the animation from there.

Question 2: If you're trying to add more than 255 characters, you'll need to repoint. 255 is a lot though, and there's plenty of generic enemies to overwrite. I find it unlikely you'll need to repoint the character array.
255 (0xFF) battle animations is the hard limit and due to how you set up animations, there is no increasing this unless you're very assembly savvy.
As for portraits, I think the most common version of FEditor supports up to 0xFF, though I recall another version floating around that supported 0xFFFF (search on FEU). There's also the EA oriented tools.

Thank you for the tips. What is the render edition of FEditor? When I dump the file I get a frame data.dmp and a sheet png, but I do not know what to do with these. Sorry, this is newer for me.

Just to clarify, in FEditor, if I increase the portrait editor default index from E4 to E9, the new character portraits are added to free space and will not mess up the ROM. Similarly, if I increase the max index of the class animation editor from A2 to say B2, the new animations will be added to free space and not mess up the ROM.

There's a download link to the Render Edition in the Resource Directory (pinned in the Resources subforum). You tick a little checkbox that says 'Dump Frames' and it'll do what it says on the tin.

FEditor generally tries to add new portraits/animations/stuff to the end of the ROM. So, to answer your question, yes so long as you stay out of FEditor's way.