Choose Your Legends Poll Results - In-depth analysis

Kirokan

So when reading replies to the Developer Interview thread, I saw some people were curious about different aspects of the poll results (such as why someone may have placed higher or lower here or there).

So! I decided to post a very in-depth analysis I did over the last week where I explore a lot of data that we got from the polls (in its own thread, as it is quite massive). I had a ton of help from @Elieson and collaborated with him to make this possible, as he organized the original graphs which I used as the basis for my data and organization, and eventually modified for different uses.

I include some fun hypothetical situations too, such as showing combined votes for some games, or how Anna would've done if all her votes were combined (quite well!).

My summary page can be found on the blog, but also in spoilers below. They provide images and brief summaries, which each link to a main article which goes even more in-depth on the game of your choice.

Remember, this is all fun speculation in the end based on the results we got. Feel free to ask any questions, and of course comment away with your own thoughts on why something may have been the way it was on the poll. : ) I'm always open to editing/adding more to the analysis, as sometimes people point out things I may have missed. Experts in FE4/5 are especially welcome as I have less familiarity with those games。

I hope you learn something new!

(Images are harder to edit, so for any errors such as me accidentally forgetting that Nealuchi was playable in the Tellius combined votes, they have already been addressed on the main post).

Spoiler

Note:

• Click Right click and “View Image” to view them in higher resolution.
  • To view all images in a single imgur gallery, go here.

Analysis of Top 20 Male & Female Characters

Link to article.

Summary: A look at the winners and original goal of the poll. The top 20 male characters and female characters.

Analysis of the Poll as a Whole

Link to article.

Summary: A macro look across all the games and the entire poll. Limitations in voting format and selection are discussed in-depth and games are compared at a macro level. Some summary graphs below. The full chart is omitted from below, but can be seen here.

Games by the numbers:

DG4XigZ.png

Gender Distribution:

fLFZCZ1.png

Highest Scoring Characters (by gender):

hQHZQ6k.png

Lowest Scoring Characters (by gender):

CkkJ0Yh.png

Archanea Saga Analysis

Link to article.

Summary: A micro look at FE1/11 (combined on the poll), as well as FE3/12 (also combined) which together form the Archanea Saga of games. See how Marth performed compared to the rest of the cast from his games. I look at both individually, and combine the numbers to show hypothetical performance.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (FE1/11)

j5ehuet.png

Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (FE3/12)

i5GrETv.png

Archanea Saga Games (Combined)

1yGR2nn.png

Fire Emblem: Gaiden (FE2)

Link to article.

Summary: A micro look at FE2, known as Gaiden. The game generally placed low, its two protagonists high. It is the game that the upcoming Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia is a remake of.

newS6Td.png

Jugdral Saga

Link to article.

Summary: A micro look at Genealogy of the Holy War (FE4) and Thracia 776 (FE5). The games placed low, with Thracia 776 as the lowest overall. FE4 first featured the marriage/child system, but these two were never released outside of Japan, which greatly lowered their numbers. The last of the Shouzou Kaga Fire Emblem games.

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (FE4)

SpoQ1lj.png

Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (FE5)

NGWZ8f4.png

Elibe Saga

Link to article.

Summary: A micro look at The Binding Blade (FE6) and The Blazing Blade (FE7). Roy stars in the former, and the latter is the first Fire Emblem game that came west –and the numbers show. FE7 also featured the overall poll winner, Lyn.

Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade (FE6)

XDGaVfj.png

Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade (FE7)

V3B3TWJ.png

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (FE8)

Link to article.

Summary: A micro look at The Sacred Stones (FE8). It is (thus far)  a standalone Fire Emblem game that takes place on Magvel with a small cast of characters. It stars the siblings Ephraim and Eirika.

ebGtlpC.png

Tellius Saga

Link to article.

Summary: A micro look at the first console Fire Emblem game to come west on Gamecube: Path of Radiance (FE9) and its sequel on the Wii: Radiant Dawn (FE10). These are the games that star Ike, the winner of the male character poll (and overall winner if votes are combined). The games sold relatively poorer than the other games in the series. See how it changed the numbers. Features a hypothetical combined poll.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (FE9)

HaSw7CY.png

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (FE10)

JG9IOD7.png

Tellius Saga Games (Combined Votes)

jR5lasE.png

Fire Emblem: Awakening (FE13)

Link to article.

Summary: A micro look at Awakening (FE13) which is known as the “game that saved the series.” With it came an influx of new fans and “new era” of Fire Emblem. I refer to this as the first of the “Kozaki” games, named after the character artist. The game features the most votes given to a single game and its characters. See what an impact this game had purely by the numbers on this poll.

RXYIBSl.png

Fire Emblem: Fates (FE14)

Link to article.

Summary: A micro look at the second of the “Kozaki” games: Fates (FE14). It is actually three games (Birthright, Conquest, and Revelation). The latest game as of this writing that features a unique “choice” which determines the path the main character takes. The game did not have as many votes as Awakening, with possible reasons included in the main article.

s0932EG.png

Additional Data / Food for Thought

There is no main article as these are miscellaneous charts I created just to put some data into perspective, and am open to requests (so may be constantly updated). Take a look!

Awakening votes split by generation:

j1z4Gx6.png

Fates votes split by generation:

Zg34xdq.png

Performance of the “expies” in Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates

Jj1w5NA.png

How the Fates royal family stacked against each other:

QW9jz7M.png

The secret winner of the poll (and loser of the split vote): Anna

DhYRDro.png

Edited by Kirokan

Thank you for the very interesting list of charts showing the popularity of chracters for each game, it was very interesting to look through and on that note soren ranked wayyy higher then i thought but deserves it. lastly in the fates royal family rank poor hinoka waifu :(:

A thought just occured to me: what if we didn't add split votes for characters in multiple games, but rather average them?

This would ruin Ike's standing though, as he would drop below Hector with 25k average votes.

Nah, it's a bad idea overall. Some measure of weighting would be necessary to be applied. 

24 minutes ago, Suichimo said:

Why is Roy's overall ranking 5 when there is nothing between him and Ike? Shouldn't he be number 4? Wouldn't that shift everyone after him up by one?

Overall ranking includes both genders so Lyn is at 1st place, Lucina at 2nd, PoR Ike at 3rd, Tharja at 4th, Roy at 5th, etc.

Edited by Roflolxp54

Hm. That's some really nice work and interesting to read through. Good job.

Though you may want to redo/reupload/edit the analysis about Anna, it's kind of small. 

Holy smokes, that is a lot of very detailed and beautifully organized data. It was all a super fascinating read, and I really loved being able to see all the rankings alongside reading your notes, Some of the ranks were pretty surprising to see!

Thank you both for the hard work and for sharing it all!

This is terrific! Fantastic read, thanks for putting this together.

You didn't comment on FE4 Arden, the first Dorcas.

I'm still sad to see how horribly underrated Elincia is. She deserved a lot more love for how well written she is and how lovely both her designs are. She's far better than one note and flat, boring-looking characters like Mia and Nephenee. There are characters I dislike a lot, yet can understand their appeal to others (such as Soren), but Mia and Nephenee aren't two of them. Nothing about them ever seemed special to me.

But this is really well done and thought out, Kirokan. Excellent job!

Edited by Anacybele

It's good to see Mia so high. Easily one of the best characters in her game. It puzzles me that Largo and Hetzel are so low though, easily better than Soren and Elincia.... But I suppose they're both NPCs in radiant dawn which doesn't help them out. 

Brunnya did really well in binding blade for an NPC boss, beating out a lot of playable characters just like Ursula in FE7 and to a lesser extent Selena in FE8. I can think of 2 main reasons why..... 

Ursula also beat out Sonia and Limstella which deserves credit. 

Good job making this, it was a fun read. If you could breakdown the generations in FE4 like you did for Awakening and Fates that would be cool. Seems like Gen1 does better with almost every mother getting more points than her daughter. 

I'm very glad Lucharba narrowly beat out his brother Luchar, despite the later having a horse and usually being the mutually exclusive choice more chosen. 

And old man Reptor does what I wanted Hetzel to do... as a boss with little development beating out nearly half the characters in his game..... But I suppose he wields S thunder which is cooler than S staves.... And he has a monocle... 

13 minutes ago, tailfin said:

I find it amusing that Miccy beat out both Mia and Nephenee's combined votes. Guess she isn't hated after all. =)

This, and Lyn and Roy being as popular as they are is surprised me most of all (other than Elincia being so low, I thought she'd be popular). I thought all three were hated to various degrees in certain parts of the world (Roy in the west, Lyn in Japan, and Micaiah everywhere).

Largo barely appears in either game, I don't see why he's better than Elincia or Soren. In fact, if Gareth didn't exist, I'd call Largo the least developed and fleshed out character I ever saw. Elincia and Soren are easily two of the best written Tellius characters, with nice designs to boot (even if I don't dig girly-looking boys, Soren's design works for him somehow). The only reason I don't like Soren is that I can't get past how much of an a-hole he can be.

Edited by Anacybele

Largo is a comical ex-male chauvinist with a heart of gold who adopts a young branded girl, opens a bar, and is highly superstitious and naive. He's a great pre-promote, recruits himself, and hangs out with laguz in a world where there are huge rifts between the species. He's the hero we needed, but not the hero we deserved.

Soren and Elincia hoewever just suffer from lack of self esteem and self worth and bring it up every chance they get. In soren's conversations with Ike and Stefan he's just all "I dont have friends, you'll never like me, I have a troubled past so now you must hate me". And then he goes out of his way to make it so no one will like him because he thinks that's all that matters. Largo would have been his friend. 

Elincia faints in a forest surrounded by dead guards, doesn't speak up for herself in Bengion, almost gets usurped by Ludveck, and has a 'teehee' laugh and ridiculous lines such as "oh happy day"... And who could forget her battle quote when fighting BERTRAM.... (aka :Mysterious helmet wearer/ Masked Man 1.0) "EEEEP" She says she pays/hires Ike, but no gold is ever exchanged......  Sadly Elincia's development all seems to happen off screen between POR and RD where suddenly it's like Elincia 2.0 appears.  But she's very respectful which is nice, and she miles ahead of Soren. She also is able to use staves but refuses to help out in POR chapter 5.... cheesed. 

Grand Hero Battle Hetzel Hype! He'd use the Goddess Staff to fully heal all his allies every turn. He'd also mumble and cower in the corner while saying He never meant for anything bad to happen and he just was going along with the other senators. Great guy. 

Largo has no development, little personality, and isn't even playable in the second game. He's the ONLY playable PoR unit that's not playable in RD, in fact! He's boring and flat.

Elincia has a lot of character development, she never seems to lack self-esteem at all, she just knows she's inexperienced. Admitting inexperience =/= lack of self-esteem. Her design is also one of the best in the series, imo. Elincia didn't speak up for herself in Begnion because she didn't really get a chance to with Sanaki playing around with her and Ike jumping in after that. Fainting in a forest surrounded by dead guards makes you a bad character? lolwut. Also, she DOES pay Ike, what the fuck are you talking about? That gold Ranulf hands her in Gallia is Ike's payment from her. This was even Ranulf's idea. He gave her the gold, and then she gave it to Ike right after.

Soren, while a dick a lot, has a deep background and understandable reasons for who he is. all he knows is hate because that's all he was shown before Ike found him. He never really got to understand feelings of being appreciated and cared for. He has all the reason in the world to assume no one else will like him, because it already seemed like no one would! I also found it amusing how he gets Aimee off Ike's back. lol

Hetzel isn't ever playable at all, has few conversations, and all we get of him is that he saved Rafiel. And he's a weakling that can't stand up for himself. Nothing else. Another flat insignificant character.

As a bonus for ya, I find Mia's design ugly and her "personality" to be annoying and nothing but "I like your sword skills, spar with me!" and "I must find my rival!" Yawn. One of the worst characters in the series, if you ask me.

Marcia is easily better than most Tellius characters to me. Her personality is actually entertaining and rather fleshed out and she's relatable to lots of girls who have brothers that tend to piss them off. Like me. At the moment, my brothers are great, but before that, oh boy... Her dialogue is so great and creative. Her design is nice too, though I like it more in RD. I'm not big on girls with hair as short as she had it in PoR (plus I discovered it made her look like an Est copy. :/)

Jill is also one of the best females. She has the best development outside of Ike and Elincia, imo. And she's really pretty. She doesn't just blindly believe a lot of Daein teachings like some Daeins do, she goes out and finds out answers for herself and learns!

Another thing, your opinions are not fact. I'm feeling like you're acting like they are such.

Edited by Anacybele

17 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Another thing, your opinions are not fact. I'm feeling like you're acting like they are such.

A friendly reminder: neither are yours.

No need to get all high and mighty simply because somebody doesn't agree with you.

Opinions indeed.