Astra Vs Galeforce for Lyn

dragonlordsd

Which is better? I can't decide. I like being able to have Astra for that extra punch. I mean, being able to act twice doesn't mean anything if the enemy just kills her on the counter attack.

But on the other hand, it is galeforce... and it doesn't require that you defeat the targeted enemy...

They're somewhat interchangeable as they serve different roles. Sometimes I wish I had equipped the other, but I usually just run galeforce. However, if your team doesn't have a dancer then Astra is probably better.

Personally I find it relatively rare to charge up Astra or Galeforce on Lyn during my Arena no death runs.  Or once they are charged she is done fighting.  So instead I use Night Sky which frequently gets a hit in and often can tip the scale on an unfavorable Red duel or help finish off Hector.  

Now if things go super freaking sour Galeforce can result in a <50% HP Lyn sweeping the team.  Likewise this can occur on Lunatic maps.    Also this can occur if you have a dancer with Lyn.  Though typically you'll use Galeforce to pull away from the fighting area.

Now oddly I frequently proc Galeforce on Cordelia, but she has Triangle Adept allowing her to face tank red hits and with Brave Lance she can double quite a few different units (she has higher coverage than Lyn with the current Meta).  So roughly every other arena match I will proc and use Galeforce on Cordelia.  

So like Korath said both have benefits, but on Lyn Galeforce like many other long charge procs, can become irrelevant in the arena.

I prefer astra cause there have been WAY more times where Astra saved my life and galeforce would've cost me the game.

Edited by Arcanite

I think the majority of people would use Astra, or atleast benefit from it the most. I have a Lyn on my previous account and I don't recall ever using Galeforce over Astra. It could've been different if I had an Azura but I'm not that lucky ^.^ Galeforce needs a workaround with certain teams to reach it's full potential.

I have a -hp/+att Lyn, so I'm sitting at comfortably 47 att.

combined with Azura and Lissa I don't have to worry about dying if I do the player phase well, so I mostly run Galeforce to deal with a lot of units in one sweep after luring out 1 unit to charge 2-3 on. favorably 2 because that can get me into a 1-turn sweep range if there's no good blues on the enemy team *kugh* cordelia *kugh* meaning I kill off 1 unit, dance with azura, kill the next, proc Galeforce and kill the last one. (or proc galeforce kill the next, dance kill the last).

1 hour ago, Trymer said:

I have a -hp/+att Lyn, so I'm sitting at comfortably 47 att.

combined with Azura and Lissa I don't have to worry about dying if I do the player phase well, so I mostly run Galeforce to deal with a lot of units in one sweep after luring out 1 unit to charge 2-3 on. favorably 2 because that can get me into a 1-turn sweep range if there's no good blues on the enemy team *kugh* cordelia *kugh* meaning I kill off 1 unit, dance with azura, kill the next, proc Galeforce and kill the last one. (or proc galeforce kill the next, dance kill the last).

I loled while reading this.  And that is a very nice roll for an aggressive Lyn, I'm envious!

On defense, probably Astra, since AI Lyn will attack any unit in range, even if it's blue [and get herself killed, unless Astra can save her]

On offense, I prefer Galeforce, since good placement means you can kill 2 units in one turn w/ her, and there aren't too many units which you would want to engage w/ Lyn that you can't kill w/ her normally/without Astra. This could mean the difference between winning w/o losing a unit and waiting for the enemy turn and losing someone.

20 minutes ago, Katrisa said:

I loled while reading this.  And that is a very nice roll for an aggressive Lyn, I'm envious!

Indeed it was amusing to read. Alas, my Lyn is −Atk. At least, she's +Res, so, yay, I guess?

57 minutes ago, Katrisa said:

36 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Indeed it was amusing to read. Alas, my Lyn is −Atk. At least, she's +Res, so, yay, I guess?

Yey for being somewhat amusing! I guess? xD
but yes she's really nice :D she's been my main unit since getting her and she clears the arena really well.

1 hour ago, Vaximillian said:

I kind of want a +Def - Res Lyn.  I feel like it would lend itself to clearing any magic users and then having her def tank to 50 and facesmash everything into oblivion... though +Att or + Spd may ultimately be better.

1 hour ago, Trymer said:

Yey for being somewhat amusing! I guess? xD
but yes she's really nice :D she's been my main unit since getting her and she clears the arena really well.

I really love my Lyn aswell.  Even my +HP - Res hits like a truck.  But that + Attack is juicy

I tend to think Galeforce is better (once you have access to it; it is expensive).

-Astra gives you +150% damage.
-Galeforce gives you either +100% or +200% damage, depending on if you double. Lyn usually doubles, but not always, so it's fair to say that Galeforce has a greater increase in average damage, but not by a large margin.

Additionally, Astra has the other following benefits:
-You don't provoke a second counter if your goal was to do more damage to the same person. This only really applies in situations where the extra Galeforce attack would provoke a counter (due to both attacking at melee AND not killing on the first strike)
-It can activate on the enemy phase, should the opening enemy attack drop Lyn's timer to 0.

Galeforce has the following benefits:
-You can attack a second person instead! Too often, Astra can be overkill; Galeforce will rarely be. This is the single biggest reason I would rate Galeforce above Astra.
-Galeforce essentially activates faster because if you make your second (or only) swing at time = 1, Astra will not kick in, but Galeforce will, since the timer will drop to 0 and activate at the combat's end. This is a big deal since both are slow to activate.
-There are tactical applications to Galeforce beyond damage: you can retreat to safety instead of pressing the attack, for instance.
-By giving you a whole new attack of 1-3 swings, Galeforce starts "paying for itself" in terms of giving you a second shot at it, though few fights are long enough for this to matter.