How Much Feathers Should Promotion Cost?

Rezzy

How Much Should It Cost to Promote a Unit to 5*?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. How Much Should It Cost to Promote a Unit to 5*?

• 20,000 (What it is now)
    • Less than 2,000

Pretty much everybody agrees that the promotion cost from 4* to 5* is steep. After a month, most people have barely enough Feathers to promote a single unit.

Nintendo seemed to have partly heard out pleas, with the 10K feather giveaway and the Arena quests last month, but the giveaway was not a viable long term source of Feathers, and the Arena Quests have strangely not returned this month.  To put that into perspective, if you get max Offense and Defense scores in the Arena for a week, as well as Rank in the top 100,000, it would take you over 7 weeks just to promote one unit from 4* to 5*.  Almost two months for one unit seems way too long.  Sure, you might eek out a few more Feathers by ranking higher, but that's not a sure thing, and getting any Defense Wins at all isn't either, so it might take even longer to accumulate 20K.

Dropping the cost down to 5K seems a lot more fair, since that would mean a couple decent weeks in the Arena could give you enough Feathers to raise a character to 5*.

What are other people's thoughts?

I'm for 10,000, because if they keep the + mechanic, it brings the cost of promoting to 5* down to something a lot more reasonable.  I don't mind if 5* promotions cost a bit more, since it should be a decision that isn't taken lightly (unlike the 4*, which I can do once a week).

7 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I'm for 10,000, because if they keep the + mechanic, it brings the cost of promoting to 5* down to something a lot more reasonable.  I don't mind if 5* promotions cost a bit more, since it should be a decision that isn't taken lightly (unlike the 4*, which I can do once a week).

That would be reasonable.  Hopefully, we'll get some sort of feedback soon.  Maybe as we approach the end of the launch event.  On that note, since they've already extended it, maybe they'll decide to extend it indefinitely, like the reduced Stamina cost for Training Tower.

Yeah, 20,000 seems a little crazy. I have so many four stars haha. If they made it easier to get feathers, then maybe 20k wouldn't be too bad. So if they rework how to get feathers, and give us a better and more chance, that would be amazing. If not then they really should lower the feather cost. 5 to 10k maybe?

Honestly I'm fine the way it is now. I was able to make quite a few 4 star units before I made it to 20,000. Now I'm at 20,000 and I'm unsure what to do lol. If they do decrease the amount then they should make limit break cost feathers. This is a gacha game, They want people to have no five stars and spend money because they feel lonely. But I decided to be patient instead of cracking under pressure. I used to think it was too hard but now that I have it its not as hard as I thought, with help from the arena quests. probably even easier for people who have more five stats than me too.

Edited by Arcanite

I can understand why the 20,000 feathers is really steep for a lot of reasons *Shakes fist at list of non 5* pull able characters* but in one form or another they gave out over 15,000+ feathers last month through giveaways and quests so for the most part i was totally ok with it. If they continue finding random events to give us more feathers like that every month i'll be ok with them keeping it at 20k to promote to 5*. If not then yeah make it 10k.

The problem with 20k feathers for promotion is that you have to rely on Nintendo to give a tons of feathers - it takes WAY too long to get feathers for F2P, especially if you don't have a team of 5* Lvl 40-s. Something like 10k is much more reasonable.

I personally voted for 10,000. 20,000 Feathers is far too much to promote a 4* to a 5* unit. I understand wanting to keep 5* units somewhat at a "premium" and should be a goal to work towards, but 20k is ridiculous. A good player should be able to 5* a unit every month, not every two months. Then, there is the factor of merging units, which is easily the craziest Feather Sink in the game.

In terms of progression, having a 5* team brings the player to "endgame" status and can reasonably compete against other players that also have a 5* Level 40 Team. The next step after making a 5* unit is merging them together until they reach 5* Lvl 40 +10, which is the current highest cap (and I hope it stays that way).

As it stands, players will have to get lucky with their pulls to get 5* units. Some have been playing since launch and used up all of their free orbs and still do not have a full 5* team of four characters, much less a 5* team that actually synergies with each other. Then there is the matter of using non-5* draws who have to be promoted to 5* status manually such as Sharena and Olivia.

Fire Emblem: Heroes is more about diversity and using one's favorite characters instead of relying solely on a "super hero" team. I would love to train up 5* heroes and then start using alternative progression (Merging & Inherit Skills) instead of trying to slog my way through the Training Tower using 3* or 4* units. (3* units far off sharply after Level 20 since opponents in the "TT" become 4*, making playing with them somewhat cumbersome.) I want to level up alts to eventually merge them with their "prime" counterpart, but the costs are too expensive.

This new "Voting Gauntlet" system looks like a reliable way to possibly obtain new Orbs, another scarce (F2P) resource in Heroes. Either FE:H needs to up the feather rewards or lower the 5* cost as the other promotion options have reasonable prices. The former may be nice (and is a lot more useful to those mass promoting instead of 5-starring), but I'll be content with the latter.

Edited by Sire

I think 10k sounds fair. 20k really is too steep, even for a f2p game. People should be rewarded for consistently playing, and 10k (meaning ~1 5 star a month) sounds like it is the best balance. Of course, if Ninty keep up the promotions, then I don't mind the current cost, but I don't think they will past a certain point... and players shouldn't really have to rely on it.

As it has been 20k a while now it wouldn't be fair to decrease it.. increasing feathers gained from arena/rewards sounds better (double them). And it would be nice to grind them from TT.

I'm on the side of keep the current price with occasional discounts but increase the number of ways or amount of feathers we earn. It's a double win if we can promote to 5* faster and have more to do. Something does need to change. 

I like that it isn't easy to just keep promoting units to 5*, so I don't think steep is necessarily bad. The issue lies in the fact that feathers are pretty hard to come by, and unless one just dumps money into the game and releases their units, then it seems like it would take several weeks at best to get enough feathers. So, I think there should be more/easier ways to get feathers, as I'm sure the arena may not be a viable option for some people who may not have good enough units.

5 hours ago, Armend said:

As it has been 20k a while now it wouldn't be fair to decrease it.. increasing feathers gained from arena/rewards sounds better (double them). And it would be nice to grind them from TT.

It would benefit everybody, so I wouldn't say it's unfair.  There might be slight buyer's remorse, if you just promoted a unit, but hopefully, this game will be out for a while, and they're still working out the resource exchange rate, hopefully.  They've already changed their plans for stamina in the Training Tower and Buying Skills.

4 hours ago, Locked Apple said:

I'm on the side of keep the current price with occasional discounts but increase the number of ways or amount of feathers we earn. It's a double win if we can promote to 5* faster and have more to do. Something does need to change. 

I was thinking, maybe they could give Feathers for individual Arena Wins, maybe 50 for Advanced wins, 25 for Intermediate, 10 for Beginners.  That would be an extra 1000 or so Feathers a week, if you do all Advanced matches.

I actually would say 12,000. Because if you notice, each cost has the number 2 in it. 200, 2,000, 20,000 (don't know how much it is for 1 star to 2 star, probably 20). 20,000 is just too much though.

15 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

I agree with the notion of keeping it at 20k but increasing the number of ways we can earn feathers. 

One method I had thought of would be to award Feathers for individual Arena wins.  Like 50-100 Feathers for a victory.  As it is now, at least since they took the Arena Quests away, there's not much to go for once you get your 7 streak.  If they gave out at least a decent amount of Feathers for victories other they the season bonuses, you'd have a reason to keep going and it would be a nice way to get extra Feathers.

The daily feathers we receive from your units and guests in the castle should be increased tenfold. 150 feathers a day would be much more reasonable. As it stands, 15 feathers a day is worth basically nothing with the current costs of upgrading. For the effort, doubling the feather rewards from arena offense and defense scores (not rank score) would do a lot of people good.

10K seems fair game. However, if IS gave us more feather-related quests ( 1K minimum for Normal, going up to maybe 2.5K for Lunatic missions ), then the 20K would have been fine as is.

I voted for 10,000.  I get that 5* characters should still be somewhat rare, but given how difficult it is to get feathers in Heroes outside of special events, 20,000 is just absurd.

It's an awful, vicious cycle too.  The best way to get lots of feathers in-game is through the Arena.  The best teams (read: Pay2Win) will get the higher ranks in Arena, thus getting them more feathers than Joe Average player.  This will not only give them an even greater advantage over Joe Average player, but the Pay2Win player doesn't need the feathers nearly as much the average, random player.

The entire Arena/feather system needs to be redesigned from the ground-up.  Seeing as how it's the only "regular" content, and feathers are the main form of character/team progression, it's pretty broken.

The 15 feathers per day though is like a bad, trolling joke from IS.

Edited by Eselred

6 hours ago, tailfin said:

10K seems fair game. However, if IS gave us more feather-related quests ( 1K minimum for Normal, going up to maybe 2.5K for Lunatic missions ), then the 20K would have been fine as is.

I'm really surprised they didn't have the Arena Quests from February carry over into March.  Those extra 4000-6000 Feathers helped a lot.

9 minutes ago, Eselred said:

I voted for 10,000.  I get that 5* characters should still be somewhat rare, but given how difficult it is to get feathers in Heroes outside of special events, 20,000 is just absurd.

It's an awful, vicious cycle too.  The best way to get lots of feathers in-game is through the Arena.  The best teams (read: Pay2Win) will get the higher ranks in Arena, thus getting them more feathers than Joe Average player.  This will not only give them an even greater advantage over Joe Average player, but the Pay2Win player doesn't need the feathers nearly as much the average, random player.

The entire Arena/feather system needs to be redesigned from the ground-up.  Seeing as how it's the only "regular" content, and feathers are the main form of character/team progression, it's pretty broken.

Sadly, even ranking high in the Arena only gives an extra 500-1000 Feathers a week.  I think the biggest whales get most of their Feathers by mass Pulling and sending home units.

I had an idea about promoting. I doubt it'll get implemented but...

Basically, make each level after 20 make promotion cheaper by 2.5%. This way promotiong, say, 3* lvl 20 hero will cost 2000 feathers, while promoting the same hero at level 40 will cost 1000 feathers. This both cheapens promotion, and gives the incentive to level low star heroes beyond lvl 20.

37 minutes ago, Eselred said:

Yeah, ranking feathers is pretty much only obtainable for guys who already have a set team for the arena - and they don't need feathers as much.

37 minutes ago, Eselred said:

It still helps get those 1* to 2*))) But yeah.

7 minutes ago, Kruggov said:

I had an idea about promoting. I doubt it'll get implemented but...

Basically, make each level after 20 make promotion cheaper by 2.5%. This way promotiong, say, 3* lvl 20 hero will cost 2000 feathers, while promoting the same hero at level 40 will cost 1000 feathers. This both cheapens promotion, and gives the incentive to level low star heroes beyond lvl 20.

I really like this idea, actually.  I would make leveling after 20 not a waste for characters you plan to promote, and it would drop 5* promotion down to 10K.