Your favorite minor antagonists/bosses in the series and why?

Extrasolar

So these aren't the world-ending, godly-powerful guys, or the main plot-spanning antagonists of their games or anything, but it's undeniable that FE has given us some pretty memorable (or even memetic) bosses and minor villains in the course of its history. Which ones are your favorites, and why?

I always remember Jarod of RD, because not only was did he show some measure of cunning (his plan at creating a trap for Micaiah, which would have worked had the Black Knight not swooped in to save the day), but he also stood his ground and fought to the bitter end to try to keep his hold on Daein (whereas the likes of Ludveck gave up and surrendered soon as he was defeated). He didn't even flinch when he was facing down the Black Knight, who previously decimated every member of Jarod's force that fought against him. The guy also showed some more redeeming traits, in his rage and sadness at Alder jumping in and taking a bullet for him. If only the Capture mechanic had existed in RD, I would have loved to add him to the Dawn Brigade's team. :lol:

Glass from Blazing Blade also sticks out in my mind, because despite being weak as hell as a low-level myrmidon with terrible stats has the gall to refer to himself as "godly," and scream to the heavens about his "peerless swordplay." Lol, that's just amusing in general. Never realized how fitting his name was for his awful defensive stats until now...

Edited by Extrasolar

I always liked Aida from FE4. She never attacks your army, and kills the enemy with meteor. But it's all part of a ruse....

Plus she's a mother of a Thracia 776 character. She has an interesting story to her.

EDIT: I also liked Ishtore too. Too bad he isn't around much longer though.

Edited by Dandy Druid

5 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

So these aren't the world-ending, godly-powerful guys, or the main plot-spanning antagonists of their games or anything, but it's undeniable that FE has given us some pretty memorable (or even memetic) bosses and minor villains in the course of its history. Which ones are your favorites, and why?

I always remember Jarod of RD, because not only was did he show some measure of cunning (his plan at creating a trap for Micaiah, which would have worked had the Black Knight not swooped in to save the day). He fought to the bitter end to try to keep his hold on Daein (whereas the likes of Ludveck gave up and surrendered soon as he was defeated). He didn't even flinch when he was facing down the Black Knight, who previously decimated every member of Jarod's force that fought against him. The guys also showed some more redeeming traits, in his rage and sadness at Alder jumping in and taking a bullet for him. If only the Capture mechanic had existed in RD, I would have loved to add him to the Dawn Brigade's team. :lol:

Glass from Blazing Blade also sticks out in my mind, because despite being weak as hell as a low-level myrmidon with terrible stats has the gall to refer to himself as "godly," and scream to the heavens about his "peerless swordplay." Lol, that's just amusing in general. Never realized how fitting his name was for his awful defensive stats are until now...

I tend to think Ludveck, if he'd been properly expanded upon would have made a really memorable antagonist. I mean, if you think about it, he and Elincia are really two sides to the same coin, in that they both want what they believe is best for Crimea. The villain is always the hero of his/her own story, and I think he truly believes that Elincia cannot keep Crimea secure - it's not that he wants power for power's own sake, although he doesn't hesitate to use force when it suits him. Don't get me wrong, I think he is despicable for what he planned to do to Lucia, but as the extended script mentioned, he wanted to see if Elincia could be the queen Crimea needed, even if it cost his him his life. Plus, I get the idea he never really thought it through, if he had claimed the throne.

As for his surrendering, I think that was probably more a sign of his intelligence. He knew with the arrival of Geoffrey, he was outmanned. He knew he could no longer win by force alone, so he had to try something else, which he would have been unable to do if he'd been killed.

10 minutes ago, TheFreelancerSeal said:

I tend to think Ludveck, if he'd been properly expanded upon would have made a really memorable antagonist. I mean, if you think about it, he and Elincia are really two sides to the same coin, in that they both want what they believe is best for Crimea. The villain is always the hero of his/her own story, and I think he truly believes that Elincia cannot keep Crimea secure - it's not that he wants power for power's own sake, although he doesn't hesitate to use force when it suits him. Don't get me wrong, I think he is despicable for what he planned to do to Lucia, but as the extended script mentioned, he wanted to see if Elincia could be the queen Crimea needed, even if it cost his him his life. Plus, I get the idea he never really thought it through, if he had claimed the throne.

As for his surrendering, I think that was probably more a sign of his intelligence. He knew with the arrival of Geoffrey, he was outmanned. He knew he could no longer win by force alone, so he had to try something else, which he would have been unable to do if he'd been killed.

I definitely agree that Ludveck was interesting as an antagonist in that his motivations seem to be unselfish, as opposed to wanting power for power's sake, but Part II being extremely short robbed him of a lot of his potential, and I believe that the extended script and the game itself writes him a little inconsistently.

I see Ludveck surrendering immediately not so much as a sign of intelligence, but as a sign that he wasn't truly devoted to his cause, and/or thought that saving his own skin was more important than Crimea's future.

If he really, truly believed that Elincia wasn't fit to rule Crimea, and wanted the best for the country, he would refuse to accept her leadership even when captured, even if it means death for him. If anything, I can see him thinking that it would make him a martyr, and the others in his group would renew his cause with even more fervor.

And if he really intended his rebellion simply to be a "test" of Elincia's leadership and worthiness to be queen, he caused a lot of stress and heartache for both the people in his own group as well as a lot of the common villagers, not to mention the Crimean knights having to cut down their own countrymen to get to him. He comes off bad in both cases, imo.

Edited by Extrasolar

4 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

I definitely agree that Ludveck was interesting as an antagonist in that his motivations seem to be unselfish, as opposed to wanting power for power's sake, but Part II being extremely short robbed him of a lot of his potential, and I believe that the extended script and the game itself writes him a little inconsistently.

I see Ludveck surrendering immediately not so much as a sign of intelligence, but as a sign that he wasn't truly devoted to his cause, and/or thought that saving his own skin was more important than Crimea's future.

If he really, truly believed that Elincia wasn't fit to rule Crimea, and wanted the best for the country, he would refuse to accept her leadership even when captured, even if it means death for him. If anything, I can see him thinking that it would make him a martyr, and the others in his group would renew his cause with even more fervor.

And if he really intended his rebellion simply to be a "test" of Elincia's leadership and worthiness to be queen, he caused a lot of stress and heartache for both the people in his own group as well as a lot of the common villagers, not to mention the Crimean knights having to cut down their own countrymen to get to him. He comes off bad in both cases, imo.

Can't argue with a lot of that. I'd also attribute his surrendering to his arrogance as well, in that he is absolutely convinced that he can force Elincia to release him by threatening to quite literally dangle Lucia in front of her. Plus, given that he believes only a strong ruler is needed, it probably was about saving his own skin to.

Still, I think we can both agree he would have made an interesting antagonist, but instead we got a wasted one.

4 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Aye I have to agree with these more negative assessments of him to be honest he felt  self motivated because he prioritized his life over his cause even if the story tried to paint him more unselfishly in regards to Elincia's rule. Really a wasted opportunity... 

I'm partial to King Mannu of Pyrathi. He had no ambition of conquering the world, he just wanted his kingdom to remain sealed off to the outside world no matter the cost. 

Some of my favorite minor antagonists are Ephidel and Limstella. The former for his scheming and sinister behavior and the latter for her tragic last words:

“I am not human. This mind and body are constructs. Yes, as is this sorrow."

It's interesting to think about the large variety of morphs in Blazing Sword,  the mindless sort like Denning, Ephidel and Sonia who seem to have feelings and independent thoughts and morphs like Limstella who were essentially puppets but still had some emotion.

3 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

If only the Capture mechanic had existed in RD, I would have loved to add him to the Dawn Brigade's team.

I think the capture mechanic is a pretty dodgy mechanic, in terms of the writing. "Here, take 30 cabbages. You work for me now, so help me murder your friends." Jarod in particular was a cruel and spiteful person so I can't see him joining the team or anyone wanting him on the team. 

RE: Ludvek conversation, I don't think he was ever portrayed as noble or well intentioned. He may have sincerely believed that Elincia was a poor leader for the country but it was also a power grab. The "I was just testing you when I raised a rebellion and almost executed your best friend" seems like a weak "Please don't kill me" plea.

Edited by NekoKnight

1 hour ago, Hardin said:

I'm partial to King Mannu of Pyrathi. He had no ambition of conquering the world, he just wanted his kingdom to remain sealed off to the outside world no matter the cost. 

Yeah can get with that sentiment though that old dragon likely had seen better days mentally...(Of course basically every dragon in that game was crazy/an enemy...) Even technically Tiki though she was under a spell... 

Honestly the Dragons are always in horrible or Dire straights in basically every FE world... (W/ the end of RD don't tell me you think the dragons are going to do well after their army was wiped out and factoring that Ena/Rajaion's child was supposedly the first to be born in centuries... 0_o)

1 minute ago, NekoKnight said:

Some of my favorite minor antagonists are Ephidel and Limstella. The former for his scheming and sinister behavior and the latter for her tragic last words:

“I am not human. This mind and body are constructs. Yes, as is this sorrow."

I think the capture mechanic is a pretty dodgy mechanic, in terms of the writing. "Here, take 30 cabbages. You work for me now, so help me murder your friends." Jarod in particular was a cruel and spiteful person so I can't see him joining the team or anyone wanting him on the team. 

RE: Ludvek conversation, I don't think he was ever portrayed as noble or well intentioned. He may have sincerely believed that Elincia was a poor leader for the country but it was also a power grab. The "I was just testing you when I raised a rebellion and almost executed your best friend" seems like a weak "Please don't kill me" plea.

Outside of the "bribery system used in fates I actually like capture as a mechanic especially if it was used to acquire say intelligence (and or perhaps skills) Sure not every unit should be able to be captured storywise but I really enjoyed that mechanic... 

3 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Very true, fair point. I agree that Capture is questionable in terms of writing and Jarod most definitely would fight tooth and nail if forced to fight alongside the Dawn Brigade, and that they most definitely would despise him. I could see the Dawn Brigade taking him hostage for leverage against Begnion at that point (though then again, the senators are just as liable to shrug their shoulders and ignore his being captured).  I think it would have been an interesting angle  to see him as a spiteful, hateful prisoner forced to help out the Dawn Brigade (and later, Daein army) cause simply because they want more manpower...and he'd try to escape and run to Begnion at the first opportunity.

Dang. Now I kind of wish he stuck around as a reoccurring villain before he was finally finished off.

Though just for simplicity, it makes a lot more sense purely strategically and story-wise to kill him, since his hatred of Daein, the Dawn Brigade, and Micaiah in general ran deep...and Alder's death just aggravated it. They saved themselves potential trouble, if anything.

5 hours ago, Hardin said:

And when you think of how utterly screwed the dragons of Archanea were by the humans, Mannu's isolationist tendencies make a lot of sense, even if he was ruling over humans himself. The dragons in general got the short end of the stick, especially the Earth Dragons, to the point that Medeus' rage against them is justified (but not his actions, of course).

Edited by Extrasolar

I'll always be biased in this case towards Selena in FE8, I just loved her from the get-go.

the way she's loyal to her country, does doubt the kings motives, fights for what she believes is right and does fight to the last straw even though she knows stuff is going wrong within her country.
her caring act to help the citizens of Renais by paying Eirika as she thinks she's a mercenary even furthers her role as a loveable enemy general in my book.
She can't be openly seen helping the citizens of the enemy, but she still does what she can in that situation.
She also lets Myrrh go even though she can't give back the dragonstone, but she atleast saves Myrrh from dying.

I really really felt dreaded that I had to kill her. In my playthrough I went so far as to make her run out of tome uses and just being really sad I couldn't do anything at all to save her... so in the end I just had to let Ephraim spear her to death. It was the worst feeling I've had in the Fire Emblem games killing an enemy unit (so far).

55 minutes ago, Limstella said:

Denning, because he is the second most beautiful morph ever created by Nergal. and memes

I like Oliver, for similar reasons.  He is the most beautiful creature to grace Tellius.

I'd like it if they gave Aida a soliloquy or Saias some talk of what his mother was like/thought of Arvis or something in the eventual Jugdral remakes.

To name a good minor antagonist- Bryce wasn't bad for the little time he had. A relic of the past simply unable to move on due to his age, pitiable. Levail was a young and idealistic fanboy, but not the worst.

Jarod seems a little too angry to be likable. I have no problem with him being discriminatory to the people of Daein, but randomly stabbing people when angered is a bit much. If he was "well this job sucks, but it's my duty, and my way to advancement" I think he would have been better.

On Ludveck- do recall this is the guy that casually abandons his home base and leaves every soldier there to die or be captured. Like Jarod, he was made too nasty to be truly likable. Not that all villains have to be ones that you can empathize or sympathize with.

On that note- Valter I'd prefer if he wasn't insane due to a cursed lance. And Valtome can be held in the air by Zelgius for eternity for stealing Kefka's laugh.

Travant appears decently complex, as is Naesala (if you could call him an antagonist at all), who I wouldn't be surprised if he was inspired by Travant. Jugdral inspired Tellius just as Archanea inspired Elibe and Valencia Magvel. The hawks and ravens one lived together in the southern islands, only to break apart- like the Thracian Peninsula. Tibarn as not-Quan and Naesala as not-Travant seems very feasible. Both Travant and his successor are undercut (made out as too innocent) by their subseries sequels though.

Also, why the heck did they invent Kishuna? He plays zero role in the plot or anything really. So he was an early morph of Nergal with a touch of emotions made to be a copy of Renault's best friend and who yearns in his final chapter to be killed. So what? How does that matter in the grand scheme of FE7's plot? Honestly, I would have preferred three chapters that could allow the player to piece together Nergal's past, too much of which is left too vague. Basically: A Glimpse in Time, a chapter hinting at what happened to Nergal post-Aenir's death, and another showing his initial turn to darkness. Though I'd put the turn to darkness in place of Genesis, and the post-Aenir death scene in place of the Value of Life. So you see Nergal good and normal, Nergal turning bad, Nergal in grief, and then "Aenir? Don't understand." fills in the one remaining gap.

I really liked Gomez from FE5.  Before the map starts, he comes off as a power hungry bandit who took over after Dagda left.  Sure, there's a hint of him having deeper motivations in play, but he still comes across as very much in the wrong (also he calls Evyal a bitch, which pretty much cements the player's desire to Grafcalibur him in the face).  However, after he dies, he says: “Dagda…I’m sorry… I had to… We’d all starve otherwise…”  At least for me, this really recontextualized his actions.  OF COURSE he had to resort back to banditry because there really was no better way.  It's not the right thing to do, but it's a very real and understandable reaction to being in such a shit situation.  FE4 and FE5 as a whole were pretty good at contextualizing the efforts of war as a whole, but this is definitely one of the standout moments.  Of course, what makes it truly great isn't his one off death quote but the entire conversation Leaf has with August at the end of the chapter.  The chapter on its own had a good self contained story, but this makes it so that it affects the protagonist and in turn, the greater narrative.

And FE5 does this with so many of its chapter bosses!  Honestly, the narrative of the game seems like one of its most underrated aspects.

6 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

I always remember Jarod of RD, because not only was did he show some measure of cunning (his plan at creating a trap for Micaiah, which would have worked had the Black Knight not swooped in to save the day), but he also stood his ground and fought to the bitter end to try to keep his hold on Daein (whereas the likes of Ludveck gave up and surrendered soon as he was defeated). He didn't even flinch when he was facing down the Black Knight, who previously decimated every member of Jarod's force that fought against him. The guy also showed some more redeeming traits, in his rage and sadness at Alder jumping in and taking a bullet for him. If only the Capture mechanic had existed in RD, I would have loved to add him to the Dawn Brigade's team. :lol:

His character during the last few chapters seemed weirdly juxtaposed with the cartoonishly evil persona he had displayed before.

Edited by Refa

If I had to choose one, I'd go with Brunja from FE 6 (I misspelled har name).  She just wants her senpai King Zephiel to notice her.  And how she behaves in chapter 23 gives her respect points in my book.  Sure, you have your Valters, your Callachs (Don't get why some fancy him anyway), Jared (RD) your Camus Archetype, the one off bosses for comedic effect, and even those that become memes.  
However; Brunja is the last commander (that we know of) of a dead country, with no reason to fight, and true compassion and feelings for her soldiers.  They don't have to fight, and she makes it so that people with vulnerable families are forbidden to fight in that last battle.  What other boss (aside from mustafa) puts that kind of care in for the soldiers, who are willing to lay down their lives for a dead cause?  
It makes me question what kind of loyalty exists in a soldier that drives him/her to do the unreasonable.  It is always a theme present in FE that one would fight even though it is foolish.  But when there is nothing left to risk, and you'd just be throwing your lives away, is it pride that pushes these people onward, or something more?  
These kind of thoughts makes me love bosses and minor characters like these.  It's not just some attempt to make the player feel bad for some camus archtype; (selena) there's some prideful, unyielding driving force behind each battle, and finding out what each one is will always be one of my favorite things about fire emblem bosses and characters.  There's just something there that I'm not getting, and that mystery and sorrow makes me appreciate Brunja and her cause for fighting so appealing.

1 hour ago, Refa said:

His character during the last few chapters seemed weirdly juxtaposed with the cartoonishly evil persona he had displayed before.

I thought it was consistent. Having friends and courage aren't exclusively heroic traits.

As much as I usually like sympathetic villains, two of my favourite antagonists from the FE series were utter jerkasses who were nonetheless extremely realistic and not completely devoid of humanity. These two guys are Caellach from Sacred Stones and Jarod from Radiant Dawn.

Caellach, unlike the other two "evil" Grado generals, was not there for the sake of evil. He was simply an ambitious and hypercompetent mercenary who seized an opportunity. He is also arguably shown as the best commander is Grado's army. So his nomination is not completely absurd. And his goal of becoming king? Well, there have been many, many putsches in human history. So people like Caellach actually do exist (and mostly make terrible rulers). His conversations with (or about) Joshua show that he can be quite likeable at times.

Jarod was a jerk, but he also really felt like a true soldier. His speech near the end of the Dawn Brigade arc was a great one. He had some wicked charisma that most FE villains lack.

Orson was also good. His descent into madness was as scary as it was entertaining. Really enjoyed the subtle differences in his portrait.

Edit: And how could I forget about Naesala! Great king, with always ambiguous motivations. Charismatic, wicked and entertaining. Seems like he will do anyhting for the right price, yet ultimately shows that he has some standards (and a soft spot for the Herons) and is completely devoted to his country and people.

Edited by Heptade

5 hours ago, Heptade said:

Edit: And how could I forget about Naesala! Great king, with always ambiguous motivations. Charismatic, wicked and entertaining. Seems like he will do anyhting for the right price, yet ultimately shows that he has some standards (and a soft spot for the Herons) and is completely devoted to his country and people.

Naesala's douchiness should be legendary...He proves again and again that he shouldn't be trusted as far as he can be thrown, and yet gets people to trust him almost immediately again anyway. Too good. Lol.

Plus his relationship with Leanne is pretty cute

6 hours ago, Heptade said:

Jarod was a jerk, but he also really felt like a true soldier. His speech near the end of the Dawn Brigade arc was a great one. He had some wicked charisma that most FE villains lack.

Agreed. Jarod showed pretty good leadership skills, a penchant for planning, and amazing bravery. Along with Ike and Ranulf, he's the only guy who faced down the Black Knight without fear. I feel like he's underrated as far as FE antagonists go.

19 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

Naesala's douchiness should be legendary...He proves again and again that he shouldn't be trusted as far as he can be thrown, and yet gets people to trust him almost immediately again anyway. Too good. Lol.

Plus his relationship with Leanne is pretty cute

Agreed. Jarod showed pretty good leadership skills, a penchant for planning, and amazing bravery. Along with Ike and Ranulf, he's the only guy who faced down the Black Knight without fear. I feel like he's underrated as far as FE antagonists go.

I can agree on Jarod but I had discounted Naesala because well you know... he is Playable in Both FE 9 and 10... (That said There really is no reason to chose anyone other than Tibarn (outside of the Boss dialogue) in POR so...)

15 minutes ago, Dragrath said:

I can agree on Jarod but I had discounted Naesala because well you know... he is Playable in Both FE 9 and 10... (That said There really is no reason to chose anyone other than Tibarn (outside of the Boss dialogue) in POR so...)

Sure, he's playable and eventually ends up on the good guys' side for real, but that doesn't mean he's not an antagonist (and a spectacularly slimy one at that).

On 3/6/2017 at 5:36 AM, Extrasolar said:

Glass from Blazing Blade also sticks out in my mind, because despite being weak as hell as a low-level myrmidon with terrible stats has the gall to refer to himself as "godly," and scream to the heavens about his "peerless swordplay." Lol, that's just amusing in general. Never realized how fitting his name was for his awful defensive stats until now...

I've seen some people talking about how noble and brave Jarod is before. Said people seem to forget that the whole reason Micaiah is fighting him at the end of part 1 is because he's literally massacring citizens for absolutely no reason other than to force the liberation army into killing him and all his soldiers. That's not in anyway noble or redeemable behaviour. It's goddamn monstrous. I don't have any issue with people liking monstrous characters (in fact I think people are sometimes too passionate about disliking characters with negative traits) but this is a point that's generally glossed over about Jarod's last stand even though it's a critical aspect of his character. All because he made a decent speech just before the chapter starts.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I've seen some people talking about how noble and brave Jarod is before. Said people seem to forget that the whole reason Micaiah is fighting him at the end of part 1 is because he's literally massacring citizens for absolutely no reason other than to force the liberation army into killing him and all his soldiers. That's not in anyway noble or redeemable behaviour. It's goddamn monstrous. I don't have any issue with people liking monstrous characters (in fact I think people are sometimes too passionate about disliking characters with negative traits) but this is a point that's generally glossed over about Jarod's last stand even though it's a critical aspect of his character. All because he made a decent speech just before the chapter starts.

Oh, I'm definitely not saying there's anything noble about Jarod, but I would say he's brave, considering he claims he'll kill the Black Knight when he's got absolutely no chance to beat him in the first place. The guy's the strongest mortal on Tellius barring Dheginsea, Ike and Sephiran, and massacred Jarod's unit during the night he tried to set his trap, and was untouchable by the men under Jarod's command during his last stand. I mean, bravery isn't just a trait of heroes, after all.

The guy was an asshole to be sure, and a racist (do Daeins count as a race? should I just say "nationalistic"?) one at that, but he was a brave guy just the same.