Heroes Leveling Growths in Future Games

Rezzy

I've found that I actually kinda like the way Heroes leveling works.  RNG can be nice, but with fixed stats at max level, I don't feel bad if I get a really good level and have to reset for whatever reason.  I also don't feel tempted to savescum if I get a bad level.

In future Games, they could give us the option for "Fixed' growths or RNG as usual.  And in this case, it would be real fixed growths, instead of PoR, where it depending on what weapon your unit had, what enemies they fought, and what they had for breakfast.

Anyone else think this might be a nice thing to add for future FE titles as an option?

4 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I've found that I actually kinda like the way Heroes leveling works.  RNG can be nice, but with fixed stats at max level, I don't feel bad if I get a really good level and have to reset for whatever reason.  I also don't feel tempted to savescum if I get a bad level.

And the level that you get upon re-earning it is always worse. Always. It's one of the unwritten laws of FE.

But I definitely see no harm in adding an option for fixed gains in later games (so long as it's optional, as personally I enjoy the random factor of main series FE growths, even if it sometimes results in a unit getting screwed on a stat or two, it can also result in an unusually godly unit). Though I assume for fixed growths, they'd use average stats for all of the final numbers, which could make the game more challenging. Not like that's a bad thing, especially for people who like that sort of thing.

One thing I'm not too keen on, though, is that the fixed stats mean that certain units are just flat-out incapable of beating other units or inferior to other units, no matter what. Hard counters aren't really something I like much in FE. Of course, battle RNG would alleviate this somewhat, but still.

I'd definitely be a fan of fixed rates. It becomes much easier to plan your endgame on higher difficulty levels. The law of large numbers, isn't always as effective as could be with 20-40 levels of stat growths. (RNG in battles is already a pain enough... humans aren't good at accounting for high variance :(: ... Battle for Wesnoth is more frustrating than Fire Emblem in that regards though.)

I wouldn't mind mashing them all together. The way Heroes' growth rates work, the Dynamic Growth from the DS era, the way the growths worked for the Training Grounds in FE12...Bring them all back in a single game. Just up the penalties for that last one so that it couldn't be exploited.