Who is your favorite Fire Emblem Retainer

Who is your favorite Fire Emblem Fates Retainer?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite Fire Emblem Fates Retainer?

• Saizo
    • Kagero
    • Hinata
    • Oboro
    • Setsuna
    • Azama
    • Hana
    • Subaki
    • Laslow
    • Peri
    • Odin
    • Niles
    • Selena
    • Beruka
    • Arthur
    • Effie
    • Felicia
    • Jakob
    • Flora
    • Gunter

You should create a poll to go alongside this thread. Just edit your post and click on the "create poll" tab, and then fill in the information (Giving you directions on this one because I noticed that you're new.) I'm curious to see exactly who would win.

So this question is actually really difficult for me to answer, because I like the vast majority of the royal retainers to at least some extent (barring Peri, who I'm just irritated by in both her design and personality).

The more I think about it, the more I like Jakob, because he reminds me a lot of Soren, whom I really like. He's cold and mostly antisocial to everyone else, but extremely devoted to Corrin simply due to the kindness that they paid him, which I think is sweet. His supports with Mozu are among my favorites in the game, simply due to how surprisingly tender and understanding that he is due to her predicament.

Hinata is a generally all-around sweet and energetic guy, which I like, and in a lot of his supports he shows that he's more in-tune with peoples' feelings and emotions than he comes off at first glance; his naming his sword after his son, just so he could feel like he's close to him, was very sweet.

Similarly, Laslow is a cheerful nice guy, and I like his attempts at keeping everyone's spirits up.

Odin is as amusing and fun as ever, though honestly I much prefer him as Owain to Odin. His supports with Ophelia are still cute, as well as his supports with Selena and Laslow, when he drops all the acting in order to have genuine heart-to-hearts with them.

But at the end of the day I'm going to have to give it to Niles. He's witty, cunning, and his penchant for innuendo and love of being a tease is extremely amusing. At the same time, he's got a sympathetic backstory that makes me feel pretty sorry for the guy (he got a freakin' eye gouged out, for crying out loud) that explains some of his more assholish behavior, as well as a hidden good side (his conversation with Nina where he tells her he doesn't want her going down the path he went down, and his locating Mozu's lost trinket).

Edited by Extrasolar

Yeah, I am still figuring out how to post things such as polls. I have to agree, I am not a big fan of Peri. I just don't like her personality, and she isn't that strong either. I'm not a big fan of Odin and Laslow either.

With that being said, I really like Saizo, Beruka, Niles, and Effie. They all have really great personalities and support conversations. Its so hard to choose just one favorite!

Okay, I will try to add the poll now. Please vote on the poll when I get it up.

Thanks for answering!

9 minutes ago, KadenTheKitsune said:

I have to agree, I am not a big fan of Peri. I just don't like her personality, and she isn't that strong either. I'm not a big fan of Odin and Laslow either.

Same. I found Peri's childishness and penchant for crying at the drop of the hat much more annoying than I found it endearing, plus she tends to make other characters go suddenly out of character (*cough* Xander support with her *cough*), which I'm not a fan of at all. I feel like Peri is a failed attempt to be as popular and hilarious as Henry was in Awakening, but they botched it. Hard.

I forgot to mention how much I love Azama, just for how hilariously dickish he could be at times. Plus, his solo ending is amazing. How many people can say they managed to start their own cult of personality after being assigned to some backwoods position? Azama's a close second to Niles being my favorite, and Laslow would probably be third.

5 minutes ago, KadenTheKitsune said:

I added the voting poll up.

Thanks for helping me figure it out!

You're very welcome. :^_^:

Edited by Extrasolar

I like several of the retainers: Arthur, Niles, Odin, Saizou, Beruka, Jakob and Tsubaki. My favorite, however, is Hinata.

He is truly underappreciated, more often than not in the shadow of his partner and lord. Granted, it is to be expected - it isn't as if any effort was put into producing him with a backstory of any kind. That said, his cheerfulness and energy is very much endearing, and, while he tends to be oblivious, he does come through for his allies when it counts. Of his supports, the one I enjoyed the most was his with Hinoka. It is quite sweet, giving Hinoka a bit of characterization due to Hinata's well-meaning pestering, and it is the reason I ship her exclusively with him even though i ship him with oboro on the side.

Oboro, both as a retainer and as an individual. A nuanced character who doesn't have a single trait completely dwarf her character. She's basically a better Cordelia (although I like her too), having a romantic interest, a solid work ethic and grieves for her lost ones, but none of these are taken to absurd extremes. It also helps that she's such a beast on the battlefield.

It's a tough one, but I'd have to go with Oboro. She's a well-rounded character with a romantic interest that doesn't completely overtake her personality, has well-defined goals and interests of her own, and in general is one of the prime examples of Fates' good writing because she actually feels like a person and not a trope.

Oh gosh... It's hard to choose... I'd probably go with either Arthur, Effie, Odin, Niles, or Laslow... I like both of them as characters and units. But just as units, I get a lot of use out of Oboro, so she deserves some props. (I ended up going with Niles. He and Odin are my favorites of all time because of the relationship they have with Leo.)

Oboro is clearly the best one, although Niles came pretty close (only like his Japanese self though, so that's how he lost). Other ones I like are Saizou, Hinata, Selena and Odin. Clearly the younger bros have the best taste when it comes to retainers.

Snake is best retainer. Why? Because she managed to bring herself to take a helping hand despite...well, her entire life before that point, meaning that she could actually appreciate benevolent intent in spite of everything that is stacked against such a notion. Additionally, she isn't the sort of person who would harass someone just for the sake of it, despite having the chance to do something of the sort as an outlet and get away with it.

Felicia, Arthur and Effie deserve honorable mention for being the honest and true people that they are in spite of everything (as in, at least the last decade-or-so of their lives) that is stacked against such a notion as well.

Edited by RedEyedDrake

Pretty sure my answer is obvious

Really, from all the retainers, Oboro and Kagero are the only one that caught my attention, both as a character an as a unit. But, from between the two, Oboro is the winner no doubt.

I can't deny that my bias for Oboro started because of her class, but after playing the game and reading her supports, the bias got bigger, I really like her a lot.

Saizo and Beruka are definitely the best ones in Fates. I like how they're both too good for the game and clearly know it.

Hinata's a pretty cool dude, he's energetic and a bit dim without being annoying and he has some good supports. I kind of like Kagero too for reasons I can't explain. And Selena is more like Shinon in this game than in Awakening, so that's a plus. Fuck Odin though, he's about as funny as Dane Cook and Carlos Mencia.

Disappointed that the best Fire Emblem retainer isn't on this poll though (hint, it's Palla).

I like Saizo, because of one IMPORTANT reason.

Spoiler

Screw ninjitsu, let's throw explosives around because i'm at half heath.

This is why I like Saizo more. (Actually it's because he's a reference to Jaffar, which is awesome, and he can actually take hits when dumb people like me use him)