Favourite Prince/Princess

While the Heroes Voting Gauntlet is going on, let's flush out a little bit of an opinion here. Who's your favourite prince and princess from the entire Fire Emblem series? Try to choose royalty by birth.

My prince would have to be Ephraim. It's a long-standing personal bias of mine that I tend to overlook male characters when choosing favourites, but Ephraim is a character who has managed to impress on the battlefield, even if he's not particularly exciting off it. Honourable mentions to Lewyn, for his character arc in both generations.

My princess has got to be Tana. She's got a nice charm to her in her personality, and my luck with pegasus knights means she quickly finds herself a terrifying force to be reckoned with. I've got one sitting around somewhere with capped strength, speed and luck without stat boosters. Honourable mentions to Eirika, Caeda, Elincia, and to a lesser extent, Lissa.

Actually running a poll to see proper numbers? Genealogy alone makes me terrified to try!

Ryoma and Ayra are my favorite male and female characters overall and are royalty, so naturally they would also be my favorite royals.

Edit: Might as well elaborate a bit.

Ryoma, or as I jokingly call him, "IS stalked me and made a fanservice just for me", hits many things I like in the sense of appearance, personality, and stats. I tend to like the low-investment OP units, and Ryoma's a shining example of that. Appareance wise he has heft/muscle/bulk, but a really pretty face and long dark hair, things I like to look at in drawn dudes. Personality wise he gives off the impression he's wise and serious--and often he does have a lot of wisdom to dish out, but he still has a fiery core. Without writing an essay, his character makes a ton of sense given the trauma he's been through, and a lot of his behavior (and less-than-perfect things) can tie into that. He's a man of good intentions but sometimes fucked up deliveries, which is also consistent with his general portrayal. Also he's low key a bit vain and a bit of dork, which I find endearing in apparently-serious characters.

Ayra is just a fucking badass. There are a lot of badasses in this series, but Ayra has one hell of an introduction. Yeah there's a lot of other people who are described as "powerful" and even "pin 2 tigers" but her introduction just feels powerful. Like it projects that whole "trump card" feel. I also like that she's not fighting to become the best swordperson or whatever, but to protect the hope of her country--and that she did raise Shanan while also fighting a war. The evolution of her friendship with Sigurd is also something I really enjoy.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Favorite prince is Ephraim definitely. He's a super cool badass. ^^ Ryoma is a close second though. He's badass too.

Elincia is best princess. Beautiful, well written, and just simply admirable. If princesses who became queens in-game don't count though, then Sharena. I love her optimistic and friendly personality. She's pretty much what I always wanted to be. Someone that tries to make friends with people with little problem and someone that's greatly optimistic. Sharena is cute too. ^^

Edited by Anacybele

For prince, yah b0i Lyon. For Princess, yah gurl.... none of them (okay, maybe Ayra, Lyn or sakura...)

Edited by Tuvy

L'Arachel is my favorite princess because she is adorable and charming and have you seen her dialogue? A+

Elise is a close second because I like her a lot, partly because she's a little tragic with how she wants everyone to be happy when that isn't possible.

My favorite prince is Leo because other than Corrin cockstroking he's got a lot going on (I like Takumi a lot for this reason, too).

Besides him though I like Joshua a lot - him wanting to learn about his people is very cool

Edited by YouSquiddinMe

Argh, this question is agonizingly hard for me to answer.

For princess, I'm definitely going to go with Elincia for princess. It was until I really went back and replayed Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn that I noticed just how far she comes, from scared, essentially helpless young woman who still tried her damnedest to help despite having no combat or world experience, to badass queen, leading her own army. The fact that she does become a queen on-screen and we see her leadership skills is just a perk for me. At the same time, she never loses her gentle nature and compassion, even even through a steely resolve.

As for prince, my automatic response was going to be Xander...but then I remembered how inconsistently written he is, and how downright stupid or hypocritical he comes off a lot of the times in Conquest. So no, I'll pass, no matter how much I love the Xander supports with the royal Nohrian siblings and Corrin.

As for prince, I'm going to throw a curveball and say Kurthnaga of Goldoa, just due to his kind nature. And the fact that he's faces down and helps kill his own father for the good of all of Tellius, and becomes king of the dragons (or what remains of them) by the end of the game. His being Almedha's support and shoulder to cry on is very sweet too, and I liked their interaction scenes in Radiant Dawn. And Black Dragons in general are just awesome...even if the guy is horrendously underleveled and you have to grind him out for him to be of any use. Thank God for Bonus Experience

As much as I like Ephraim, I'm not too big a fan of his cockiness at the end of the day, and Marth is sweet, but FE12 shoving him out of the spotlight and downplaying his achievements in favor of Kris soured things a bit for me. As for Lewyn, the majority of him as a character is in the various manga rather than the game itself, so I don't think he counts on principle (I would choose him if his manga self was depicted in the game, though).

Edited by Extrasolar

Eirika wins princess for me quite easily, unless Micaiah counts since she's

Sanaki's sister despite not knowing it

For prince... I don't know, man.  Zephiel?  Marth?  Takumi?  Seliph?  Leo?  My only real set in stone top characters only has Roy, whose dad was a marquess, not a king... I guess I'll say Lyon.

#TeamFE8 I guess haha

Prince: Joshua. At first, he seems like your average Navarre archetype mercenary (i.e. just an awesome badass). And then you realise he's the long-lost prince of Jehanna masquerading without even creating an alias for himself, yet no one sees through him. He was just so likeable for some reason. Really enjoyed his conversations with Caellach, with the two of them talking casually like the old friends they are, despite the circumstances.

Lyon was a great tragic villain. And his theme... So much nostalgia in that music even if it's the first time you hear it.

FE7!Zephiel: I finally got my hands on FE6. Seeing his cutscenes in FE7 afterwards is just heartbreaking, knowing how broken he will become mentally. He was such a cutie... 

Does Soren count?

I also like Innes. Favourite Sniper from the GBA years (not that it means much). An arrogant, pompous jerk, but you know that deep down he's a good guy. And he basically (he had a healer next to him, and his support partner wasn't very far, but he dealt almost all the actual damage) soloed the last floor of the Lagdou Ruins for me. Not because of some self-imposed challenge, but because it was the safest way I found to do it.

Princess:  L'Arachel. I usually hate the religious fanatics. But damn was she a compelling one!

Elincia was pretty cool, too.

And Leanne, simply for being worthy of the great Naesala.

Almedha. For once, the Dragons are neither lolis nor godly beings. While they live MUCH longer than anyone else, and thus are often wiser than the average human, they still struggle with human issues like mental illness. I thought that was a nice touch.

Note that I haven't finished Fates yet, so I won't comment on these characters for the moment.

Joshua is best prince and will always be best prince. And best myrmidon. And best swordmaster. And best SS character. And best everything. I just really, really, really like Joshua.

As for best princess, that's actually pretty hard. I love the SS Princess (kinda meh on Eirika though), the younger sisters in Fates, and although I've never played their games, RD!Elincia, Ayra, and Caeda all interest me.

However, if anything, I'll just pick Lucina, because out of all the games I've played, I've always liked how she seemed more "grounded" than the other characters in Awakening, and I admire her resolve. She's a great unit too, but I hate how she was dropped from Awakening's story entirely not even half-way through the game.

L'Arachel and Tana get honorable mentions for just being L'Arachel and Tana. They're simply too great to ignore.

For princesses it just has to be Minerva. I just found her so compelling and brave. Everything she did was for family and country. Caeda was also very memorable. She had a very good balance between being compassionate and badass. 

Other memorable ones are: Elise in Fates. She just so bright and kind hearted despite growing up in a place like Nohr. And Tana in FE8, and Liliana from FE6. 

Princes: Like many people has said on the thread: Joshua. He was so charismatic in Sacred Stones, there's no much to add that isn't already written there. Is the best prince for me too.

As much as I dislike Leo from Fates as a unit, I like him as a character. That incredibly intelligent, tomato loving prince with two out-of-control retainers is too adorable. And a mention to  Hector (I like him more as a unit than personality though) and Michalis (for being such a good antagonist). 

Favorite princess would probably be L'Arachel. Yeah, she's almost useless as a unit without grinding, but she's hilarious and has a lot of personality. Elincia is cool, but I prefer her queen self over her princess self. Sakura I like mostly in the context of Fates. Compared to all of FE, she falls behind Eirika for one. I don't think Sanaki is a princess. She's the empress.

Favorite prince is ... uh, I dunno. Eliwood and Roy aren't princes, Marth is okay but a bit inconsistent (and lol FE12), barely used Kurthnaga, don't like Ephraim too much ... I think I'm just going to have to go with Takumi. Because most of my favorite male units aren't princes. (Does Alfonse count? I do actually like him, but I guess it's not quite fair to put him above Takumi at this point because Alfonse barely has a personality.)

Edited by Sunwoo

My favorite princess was Elincia. Granted, I'm counting her entire growth from PoR and RD, but I did enjoy her without getting annoyed like I do with most princess characters.

I like practically all the princes (except maybe Joshua), so I can't really pick one.

Ooh, fun topic! I think you need to look hard for a series with more princes and princesses than Fire Emblem. Speaking of which, it's always princes and princesses, huh? It's never king and queen. I'm sure there's a TV Tropes entry for that.

Anywho, I think the prestigious award of Thane's Favorite Prince goes to Takumi. I really like Lyon as well, but he works better in a group with Eirika and Ephraim. Edit: oh crap, I forgot about Owain! He's also high up. Edit 2: Oh crap! Reyson too! There are too many of them!

As for the princesses, L'Arachel is definitely up there, as is Lissa and Lucina. Sanaki might be my favorite female noble/leader, but she's an empress and thus disqualified, I'd assume. 

Edited by Thane

Lyon is my favorite although Support!Xander is the best allied prince. Micaiah technically doesn't count, even though she can become a queen, so I'll say Elincia for her RD character development.

Oh gosh...that's a hard choice. There are so many royals that I really like... Lyon is an amazing character. Joshua is a lot of fun as well. Reyson gets a lot of points for shoving his fist up Oliver's nose. Actually, I'd give all of the heron siblings points just because I'm a little biased. Leanne may be my favorite princess because she's sassy and cute. But I also like Nyna. To be honest, she's probably not the best character in the world, but I like her story enough, and in my opinion, she has one of the most beautiful designs in all of the games.

I like pretty much each princess... lol... but L'Arachel is my absolute a favorite due to her charming and funny personality.

Honorable mentions go to

• Caeda
  • Ayra
  • Raquesis
  • Nanna
  • Linoan
  • Miledy
  • Eirika
  • Tana
  • Elincia
  • Leanne

As for prince I like Leif and the two herons the most.

I actually quite like BR!Elise, even though her Conquest incarnation just annoys me with her constant OMGOMGIMSOCUUUUUUUTE (also technically an adult so it's totally fine to bang me) modus operandi. But in Birthright, she is the only Nohrian royal who reacts sensible to Corrin's decision (although Leo does come around later).

Runner-up (or winner, if I count all Elises as one) would be L'Arachel, purely for her comedic value.

I feel kinda indifferent towards most princes in the franchise, so I'll go with Soren, even if I'm not a huge fan of his character as a whole. But I do like the revelation that he is the actual prince of Daein and how Almedha reacts when she recognizes him (i.e. not at all) because she thinks he would be happier that way.

is eliwood a prince? i don't think eliwood is a prince

i guess marth would be my favorite prince, but in fe11 and nothing else

for princesses there's a few more that I like, but I think i'd go with minerva. i do also really like elincia, though

Edited by unique

Prince: Lyon, without a doubt. He is my favorite character in the series one of my favorite villains ever due to how reliable he is and how well his "rivalry" with Eirika and Ephraim is done. Ephraim deserves a mention because I really like him and his development.

Princess: Elincia, mainly due to her development in RD part 2. I also really like Eirika, personally.

1 hour ago, unique said:

is eliwood a prince? i don't think eliwood is a prince

Nope, he's the son of a marquess (does that even have an official title?) until he becomes a marquess himself. Someone mentioned Seliph, who's a duke rather than a prince...but people still call him "The Prince of Light."

Favorite Prince: Either Levin or Joshua. They practically have the same story arc and they're both pretty awesome. Ephraim is awesome too.

Favorite Princess: Definitely L'Arachel, the real lord of FE8. She is the champion of justice, prevailer over the darkness, fighter of love, and more. She's awesome, bottom line cut and dry. Shoutout to Ayra (for being awesome), Caeda (for the best recruitment dialogues ever), Minerva (she's awesome), and Guinevere (despite being from the enemy nation, she knew what they were doing was wrong and tried to fight it). Guinevere is so underrated, mainly because she's not playable until after 9 playthroughs of the Binding Blade.... yeah. 

On 3/8/2017 at 9:29 AM, Extrasolar said:

Someone mentioned Seliph, who's a duke rather than a prince...but people still call him "The Prince of Light."

To be fair, doesn't Seliph become King of Grannvale at the end of FE4? Doesn't make sense with Julia around, but, like Azura, I guess IS assumes innocent girls are incapable of being good rulers (never mind Elincia and Guinivere) and that the perfect pretty boys/avatars are.