Grand Hero Battle Before Dawn: Ursula

SatsumaFSoysoy

Completed Lunatic with a variant of @Korath88's build. I used...

Physical Tank: 5* Cain (+DEF, -HP)
Magical DPS: 4* Robin (Balanced)
Non-Infantry Decoy: Lvl 26, 4* Beruka (+DEF, -HP)
Dancer: Lvl 34, 4* Olivia (Balanced)

Specifically, the two units of note are Robin and Cain. Olivia is a dancer to move things around, and Beruka (with 29 DEF) was only a decoy target. With this in mind, one only needs two real combat ready units. So, the team composition should be 1. Mage || 2. Tank & Physical DPS || 3. Dancer || 4. Non-Infantry Decoy. Since Olivia is free and F!Robin was obtainable from the previous Hero Battle, all that is required is a decoy and physical tank (and training up Robin).

Benchmarks:
- Mage: F!Robin needs to have 31 ATT (25 Damage) to Ursula to kill her in one round (using Blue Tomebreaker). If using another mage, make sure you can one-round Ursula if using this strategy.
- Decoy: The Decoy should have lots of DEF. The Thief deals 33 damage (my Beruka had 29 DEF). The Decoy needs to live for 2 rounds of combat. // An alternative to using a Decoy is to field a ranged unit that can retaliate and kill the Top Thief, making the map go by slightly faster.

Strategy
Maneuver your units into position using the safe zones. Robin and Cain should be up front, Olivia in the middle, and Beruka in the very back (on the 1st tile from the top left).
2. Send Robin out to bait Ursula. Ursula will die during the enemy phase. (Other enemies cannot reach Robin.)
3. Retreat Robin and dance her to safety. Robin should end up in the 2nd tile from the top left. Move Cain to the 4th tile from the top left. (Olivia should be on the 3rd tile and Beruka is on the 1st tile.) || On the enemy phase, the Sword Cavalier will attack Cain and the top Thief will attack Beruka.
4. Retaliate with Cain. Kill the Sword Cavalier, support Cain with Olivia's Dance, and have him also kill the Thief. || On the enemy phase the top thief will attack Beruka and the Axe Knight attacks Cain.
5. Kill the Axe Knight with F!Robin. After that, finish off the Thief at your leisure.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to beat Lunatic!

Edited by Sire
Fixed an error

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pulled it off with a Level 31 4* Effie, Level 40 4* Fem!Robin, Level 21 3* Olivia, and a Level 25 4* Azama. Followed the Effie strat outlined before. She just had enough HP and Defence. If she had one less of either one she would have gotten doubled post heal at a key point and I would have lost the map.

It is nice that you don't need 5*s at all for this map. Doesn't even need Level 40 4*s: Fem!Robin probably could have pulled it off somewhere between 30-35 depending on her RNG.

16 minutes ago, Sire said:

- Mage: F!Robin needs to deal 31 damage to Ursula to kill her in one round (using Blue Tomebreaker). If using another mage, make sure you can one-round Ursula if using this strategy.

She only needs to deal 25 damage, which requires 31 Atk. Might have gotten mixed up a little there lol.

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

She only needs to deal 25 damage, which requires 31 Atk. Might have gotten mixed up a little there lol.

Thanks for catching that! I'm a little sleep deprived at the moment and also trying to somewhat celebrate Ephraim's victory over Chrom.

I have to admit, the Ursula battle was more cheesable than the F!Robin one. My team of M!Robin, Leo, Camilla, and Serra cleared both difficulties, no problem. I admit I had a lot of close calls though. (If Serra didn't survive one of the Poison Dagger+ thieves, I couldn't have gotten Leo out of Ursula's range on the second turn which would have failed the mission.)

12 hours ago, salinea said:

I actually found I needed NOT to ORKO Ursula and had to not use Nino because of that *points to post just above* in order to finish it. Obviously rest of the team counts.

Sweet, I will try your strategy since I have all those characters. Maybe should try to level up Frederick a bit though since he's just level 30 right now though. Also found a video using the drag back thing and a similar set of characters, but it relied on Julia being able to kill a thief after it switches health with Ursula, and my Julia is -atk and couldn't do it.

I finally beat this. Some notes from my personal experience: 

• This is definitely difficult if you don't have the ideal units (ranged units who can kill the ninjas make this much simpler) but it's certainly doable without spending any orbs. I did it with 4* Olivia, 4* F-Robin, 4* Fredrick, and 5* Catria (Subaki should work even better). I think an equally effective team would be Olivia, F-Robin, Stahl, and Lissa but I didn't try it.
  • Related to the above, I found that when using Frederick as a tank, you can't use a healer; you'll need a blue unit to kill the sword cavalier. Frederick's Hammer is nice for the knight, though he doesn't one-round him.
  • I boosted F-Robin to 4* level 34 just for this. At that level she needed Olivia's Hone Attack to one-round Ursula. I would not recommend trying this without F-Robin.
  • Right after she killed Ursula, I found that moving F-Robin left & up to attack the knight through the wall was a safe move because the ninja would heal the knight instead of killing F-Robin.
  • This map gave me quite a hard time and took 5 stamina potions.. I am already leveling Ursula in case Xander's map is also cancer.

I made Lunatic work with Marth(I almost never use him otherwise), Nowi, Kagero and Takumi. I got Kagero to counter-OHKO the assassin at the bottom, then had Takumi take care of the other one at the top over 2 rounds. Meanwhile once the enemy teams broke down the walls, I placed Nowi just far enough that that red cavalry could reach her (She utterly destroyed him in a counter) and she also tanked a hit from Ursula while hitting back rather hard. I then used Kagero to finish off whatever life Ursula still had, and then there was only the armored unit left. Unfortunately space was so limited that I had trouble moving Nowi away from his path, but I used Marth's pivot to get him between them and slaughter the armor unit. Was a close call, as Kagero can only barely survive a hit at 1 HP and Takumi was in danger of being doubled if not for Marth's Spur Spd. Not having a non-Infantry 40 made this pretty troublesome in general...

4 minutes ago, Raven said:

Has nobody posted the video of some guy beating Lunatic with 3* units yet

Not just that but they could be the free units. F!Robin for sure but Lissa, Subaki, and Olivia are among the special maps. Interesting.

Subaki: proving he's the tankiest flier around.

7 hours ago, TheNiddo said:

I pulled it off with a Level 31 4* Effie, Level 40 4* Fem!Robin, Level 21 3* Olivia, and a Level 25 4* Azama. Followed the Effie strat outlined before. She just had enough HP and Defence. If she had one less of either one she would have gotten doubled post heal at a key point and I would have lost the map.

It is nice that you don't need 5*s at all for this map. Doesn't even need Level 40 4*s: Fem!Robin probably could have pulled it off somewhere between 30-35 depending on her RNG.

I have no idea how you did this, because I just used the same characters and lost. Robin is max level, Effie is almost max level, other two are under 30. This map has been so aggravating for a character that will probably just sit there and just be unused. But I still feel like I have to do it for completionist's sake. Oh the joys of this game...

14 hours ago, salinea said:

Woot! I did it!

Two energy potions got into there, but I stopped counting the attempts.

Team was Frederick (4*), Klein, Eirika, Julia.

There was a weird thing that often tripped me off in various try outs where, depending on the boost Julia had to attack (Eirika +3 vs Olivia +4) and speed (Eirika +4) or maybe some other slight differences of initial positioning, the AI would have the cavalry draw back the lower-left Thief (and I need them NOT to do that if i want to murder him before he murders me) rather than Ursula herself (also she needs to be alive, Nino ORKO her in the first enemy phase with Eirika’s boosts also didn’t work because of that); and also the Armor teleporting could vary (less problematic but still).

Anyway, initial positioning has Frederick baiting the lower-left thief, Julia to bait Ursula. The right draw backs happened (Ursula) and the armor teleported in on the gate to protect Ursula. Klein goes down on the lower left to assassinate the first thief. Then everyone retreats with only Julia and Klein in Ursula’s zone still (I think that was it….) he survives her first blow and finishes her off. Next phase I have him assassinate the second Thief and put Eirika on the front line to take the Sword Cavalry coming in. And then it was just finishing the left overs. Klein offs the Cavalry. Julia starts the Armor, and Frederick finishes him.

Just want to say that this strategy ended up working perfectly for me too, once I figured it out. Didn't even have to level up Frederick who was lvl 30. The problem is right at the beginning making sure that the cavalier drags back Ursula and not the thief. If Klein is in range of the corner where the bottom left thief stands and has the atk boost from Eirika, the thief will be moved. You have to position them at the beginning so Klein doesn't get the boost from Eirika once turn 2 rolls around, in which case Ursula gets pulled back instead and Klein can actually reach to kill the thief. After that Ursula will attack Klein and get counter killed and everything after that is just mop up.

My fred was too weak to attack the armour though, but considering all that is left is a slow armour and you have two ranged attackers, that was hardly a problem.

28 minutes ago, Eleanore said:

Just want to say that this strategy ended up working perfectly for me too, once I figured it out. Didn't even have to level up Frederick who was lvl 30. The problem is right at the beginning making sure that the cavalier drags back Ursula and not the thief. If Klein is in range of the corner where the bottom left thief stands and has the atk boost from Eirika, the thief will be moved. You have to position them at the beginning so Klein doesn't get the boost from Eirika once turn 2 rolls around, in which case Ursula gets pulled back instead and Klein can actually reach to kill the thief. After that Ursula will attack Klein and get counter killed and everything after that is just mop up.

My fred was too weak to attack the armour though, but considering all that is left is a slow armour and you have two ranged attackers, that was hardly a problem.

So that was the difference!! Thanks, I'm glad to know now :) and I'm glad it worked out well for you :D

1 hour ago, sdgj1994 said:

I have no idea how you did this, because I just used the same characters and lost. Robin is max level, Effie is almost max level, other two are under 30. This map has been so aggravating for a character that will probably just sit there and just be unused. But I still feel like I have to do it for completionist's sake. Oh the joys of this game...

From what I remember, healer in slot 1, dancer in slot 2, Effie and Robin in slots 3/4 (matter less as they have access to the exact same squares). Had Robin snipe Ursula while Effie moved up. Robin pulled back the turn after and took out the knight through the wall... I think there was a turn wait in between the Ursula attack and starting to go after the knight to make sure the ninja couldn't hit her. After that it was just using the healer to keep Effie topped up and being careful with my movements/making sure Effie wasn't in danger of dropping below 50% HP and getting doubled due to multiple attacks.

Would recommend almost any other healer, Azama sucks for actual healing numbers.

Edited by TheNiddo

I did Lunatic with my full team of *5: Sanaki, Nino, Effie and Abel.

The point is to bait the the Ninjas with Effie (Zero damage from both) and make Ursula break the wall. Next turn send Nino right away to kill Ursula, in a spot where she ends up out of the danger zone. Later, move Nino back to the left corner, Use Effie to kill the Ninja on the right, and Sanaki to kill the Armor through the wall. After that, it's super easy since you can just tank at the choke point and kill the other Ninja and the Cavalier. I used Abel to kill one of them, but that's pretty much superfluous.

Effie makes this map pretty much a cakewalk, you just need someone to OHKO Ursula and someone to OHKO the Armor.

20 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Definitely train up F!Robin. Since you have Kagerou, you don't need Cherche to really do anything, but her Fortify Def will let Kagerou survive. If she has Shurikenbreaker and Retribution, you're set. This comp won't really need Olivia, if you mind your positioning. Bait the lower Thief with Kagerou and kill him, then leave and have F!Robin kill Ursula. Kagerou should have Retribution ready, which will one-shot the second Thief when he comes up on turn 3. Have F!Robin chip out the Armor guy a bit, then Young Tiki can swoop him in for the kill. She won't die to the Cavalry, and will likely kill him. Good luck.

Okay, I gave this a shot now that Robin is level 40 (still 3* though) and uh... Kagero can't kill the second thief in one shot with Retribution EDIT: OH I've been using Reprisal, but I guress yo'ure saying use Ret? well that aside, I can't get the positioning right so that someone doesn't die (can't figure out how to get Kagero into position for that thief on turn 3 like you're saying anyway)... having Robin bait Ursula on turn 1 just leaves her in range of the thief with no one to block her from the Cav.

So uh... not sure if this is doable for me ;; at least not with that kit... I'll keep trying but we'll see....

If nothing else, I've got Ursula as 3* at least. 

Edited by BANRYU

3 hours ago, Raven said:

Has nobody posted the video of some guy beating Lunatic with 3* units yet?

Subaki...he's really perfect ain't he!

12 hours ago, LordFrigid said:

Results are in on the Olivia, Sharena, Julia, Setsuna team. Run went almost exactly as I thought it would, the only difference being that I forgot to Rally Setsuna on the 2nd turn lol. Vid in the spoiler, for curious folk.

Hide contents

I've got my SEtsuna up to the Benchmark stats. Sharena needs 42 Atk and 30 Spd to ORKO the Sword Cavalier, and enough HP to survive a hit from both Ursula and SwordCav should be achieved by about level 35. Just gotta grind her up some and I think I'll have this. Sorry F!Robin.

@Kiran I've been grinding up Fred with her so I'm gonna try both your strat and Frigid's to confirm effectiveness.

Done it in hard with M!Robin (29), Nino (28), Hana (40) and Lissa (39). But Robin just did everything, with the support of Lissa in healing. Hana take some hits from on of the ninjas in the end of the battle, for the time to deal with the other ninja and the general.

Lunatic... will be hard to do. I didn't have the good characters. And with the time to train them...

2 hours ago, TheNiddo said:

From what I remember, healer in slot 1, dancer in slot 2, Effie and Robin in slots 3/4 (matter less as they have access to the exact same squares). Had Robin snipe Ursula while Effie moved up. Robin pulled back the turn after and took out the knight through the wall... I think there was a turn wait in between the Ursula attack and starting to go after the knight to make sure the ninja couldn't hit her. After that it was just using the healer to keep Effie topped up and being careful with my movements/making sure Effie wasn't in danger of dropping below 50% HP and getting doubled due to multiple attacks.

Would recommend almost any other healer, Azama sucks for actual healing numbers.

Alright, I managed to do it now! Thanks for the guide! I put Serra in place of Azama in the end but the healer didn't really do that much, but better to be safe than sorry, I guess! Hard is good enough for me, forget Lunatic haha

12 minutes ago, sdgj1994 said:

Alright, I managed to do it now! Thanks for the guide! I put Serra in place of Azama in the end but the healer didn't really do that much, but better to be safe than sorry, I guess! Hard is good enough for me, forget Lunatic haha

I did lunatic with this same setup ( 4*Effie lvl 40, 4* F Robin lvl 40, 4* Lissa lvl 25, 3* Olivia lvl 23.) Super easy just need to be patient. 

I'm still struggling with this one though I have a plan.

Can someone confirm if my math is correct here?

The sword cav has 49 health, 25 speed and 30 resistance.

My RobinF has 33 atk, 27 speed and 26 defence.

33*0.8*2-30=22.8 damage. So if I dance for Robin and have a single Ignis proc she can 2HKO the sword cav. Right?

(Ps. I don't have any tanky units other then Bartre who sadly is green and infantry.)

32 minutes ago, Silith13 said:

I'm still struggling with this one though I have a plan.

Can someone confirm if my math is correct here?

The sword cav has 49 health, 25 speed and 30 resistance.

My RobinF has 33 atk, 27 speed and 26 defence.

33*0.8*2-30=22.8 damage. So if I dance for Robin and have a single Ignis proc she can 2HKO the sword cav. Right?

(Ps. I don't have any tanky units other then Bartre who sadly is green and infantry.)

Robin does 10 damage. But with cav's aegis pre-charged, the damage becomes 5. Your ignis will add 20 dmg to your second attack. So doing a total of 35 dmg. Not enough to kill it.

Edited by Kiran

Beat it after prostratting hard and trying out several different team variations. Ended up using M!Robin, Eirika, Camilla, (all 5* level 40) and Sakura (4* level 39). 

Between today and yesterday it took me about 10 stamina pots but that's okay because I never use them for anything else.