Grand Hero Battle Before Dawn: Ursula

SatsumaFSoysoy

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

@mcsilas Excellent use of HP. And poor Gerome as a meat shield. He played his part well. I remember that I struggled a lot on this map with fliers. But Caeda was my saving grace. Great work again!

It's okay, his mask makes for a good shield! :P

Oh yeah, I forgot Caeda exists. She would've been really useful baiting the green cav mage. It's just that Caedas are rare for me and I still don't have one with good IVs. Will make a mental note next time though especially with her weapon refine!

@Zeo @mcsilas @Poimagic @Infinite Dreams @DLNarshen @tobuShogi

One Turn Clear, even if I didn't think it would work so soon. First time with DEF Ploy: 

So I was sitting yesterday and trying to calculate if a GF Oscar would help with this GHB. Turns out he wouldn't, buton the bright side I already had the necessary units sitting in my roster! 

After getting an idea of the rough layout of my clear (letting Camus and Sigurd kill 3 units on EP), I had to figure out how to kill the Axe Knight and the upper right Thief (46 SPD!) with Roy. He needs (Hone Cav + LnD3 + ATK+3 seal) for the DEF ployed Knight and (Hone Cav + LnD3 + SPD+3 seal) to double the thief. Since Camus couldn't give Goad because of the distance, I had to grind Summoner Support A for Roy to get extra 2 SPD. 

Recorded One Turn clears so far:

Spoiler

Lloyd (Infernal GHB):

Chrom & Lissa (Infernal BHB):

F!Grima (Inferal LHB):

Michalis (Infernal GHB):

Minerva & Maria (Infernal BHB):

Narcian (Infernal GHB):

Navarre (Infernal GHB):

Robin (Infernal GHB):

I have done also Arvis at least, but didn't make a video. 

@Zeo @mampfoid @Rafiel's Aria @Vaximillian @Cute Chao

The Frederick and Chrom duo returns, alongside the Nohrian brothers Leo and Xander! 

Actually this was a fluke when I went to clear it the first time. I wasn't sure if going in with 3 red units against Ursula was a good idea...and it turns out it was!

Team is +HP/-Spd Leo (with Triangle Adept 1 and no B skill), neutral Xander, +Atk/-Res Frederick and +HP/-Spd Horse Chrom.

Music is Venator Ballare from The King of Fighter XIV soundtrack.

-Chrom really likes to be damaged, he welcomes Savage Blow with open arms. Does that mean he is masochist? 

-High defense cavaliers work really well against the thieves, especially after the mages are out of the way. I was so surprised my 3 red cavalier team worked so well, but I guess it helps that Ursula is the only blue unit (albeit a very dangerous one with her Wolf tome).

-The sword cavalier using Draw Back towards the right (instead of the bottom) was unexpected in my first clear, but VERY welcome. It made this map simpler since the Wolf mages were separated and their ranges didn't overlap anymore.

-Leo needs to have Quick Riposte unequipped, otherwise the green mage won't attack him (and the thief will battle him instead). I also accidentally forgot Leo and Frederick had an S support back from one of the Tempest Trials...which worked out in the end, since Leo managed to JUST survive both the Gronnwolf mage and the Axe knights, also thanks to Triangle Adept 1 and his +HP boon. In later experiments, I noticed that if Frederick isn't near Leo, then Leo wouldn't deal enough damage to the Gronnwolf mage and the axe knight can't teleport with Wings of Mercy.

- @Zeo Leo (hey that rhymes) originally had the red blade tome but I wanted to do a run with Brynhildr for style points. I didn't exactly need the Gravity effect in this run, but it feels great when a unit uses his personal weapon. I didn't even need to refine it which is nice! Also the +HP boon was a real...uhh..boon in this run. It's great to see seemingly meh natures work out despite not being the most 'optimal'.

-Frederick's Wings of Mercy does its magic once again, demolishing Ursula. My first clear ended a bit different, without using Wings of Mercy, but it doesn't matter too much because Frederick has WoM in his default kit anyway so might as well use it.

-Freddy and Leo gaining HM together was pretty funny, especially since they have an S support together haha.

@Zeo @mcsilas @mampfoid This took me along time, but I finally finished the horse emblem quest for Ursula’s GHB. Here is the video: 

Sigurd was the MVP for this, tanking the dagger user and Ursula as well as counter killing the sword armor. And he survived with one hp. I was on the edge of my seat for this one. 

@Poimagic Wow, calculated on point! Sigurd ate a lot of hard hits here. Funny how all the three of us used two Sword Cavs today for Ursula's map. 

@mcsilas The return of Chrom and Freddy, cool! I like the use of WoM in the end and Leo barely surviving so many fights. You directly got your reward in 1,000 HM. :-)

I didn't know the track, but I like it and somehow it fits to the map. 

Edited by mampfoid

@mampfoid thanks! 

Also i did some testing and Leo really needed the Triangle Adept- he can survive the gronnwolf mage fine but because the axe armour can’t activate WoM, it becomes more crowded the next turn and my red units can’t run away from Ursula in time (or Freddy can’t reach her in time as well).

also yeah I like it when the music ends perfectly with the map haha.

but yeah your clear is really neat as well. Love that Roy.

@Poimagic now you make me want a Sigurd again haha, that guy sure can take hits!

@mcsilas Thanks! 

Interesting how some small details can turn the favor of the battle. That's why I try to kill everyone before they can move.

Speaking of retesting: I just remembered my Roy had an Armor Slayer+ ready (inherited together with LnD3 from a poor Hana). He could have killed the Axe Knight, the Thief and Ursula without grinding Summoner support ... 

Well, he'll need S Support for Xander anyway ... 

Too bad Zanbato is so rare, it would have been handy for Roy on maps like these (not to speak of Berkut and Camus). 

On 4/5/2018 at 3:06 AM, mampfoid said:

@Zeo @mcsilas @Poimagic @Infinite Dreams @DLNarshen @tobuShogi

One Turn Clear, even if I didn't think it would work so soon. First time with DEF Ploy: 

[Video]

So I was sitting yesterday and trying to calculate if a GF Oscar would help with this GHB. Turns out he wouldn't, buton the bright side I already had the necessary units sitting in my roster! 

After getting an idea of the rough layout of my clear (letting Camus and Sigurd kill 3 units on EP), I had to figure out how to kill the Axe Knight and the upper right Thief (46 SPD!) with Roy. He needs (Hone Cav + LnD3 + ATK+3 seal) for the DEF ployed Knight and (Hone Cav + LnD3 + SPD+3 seal) to double the thief. Since Camus couldn't give Goad because of the distance, I had to grind Summoner Support A for Roy to get extra 2 SPD. 

Whoa, this one is super impressive!  Ursula's GHB is one of the hardest, IMO. :lol:

Your Roy is just too good!  Nice use of Lunge!

6 minutes ago, Infinite Dreams said:

Whoa, this one is super impressive!  Ursula's GHB is one of the hardest, IMO. :lol:

Your Roy is just too good!  Nice use of Lunge!

Hey thank you! 

Look forward to Sunday, Xander is the last of the daily GHB rotation remaining (not for long). 

@Poimagic Good simple clear. Really makes me wish I had a Sigurd. His tanking ability is just fantastic.

@mampfoid Oh wow your Sigurd has Distant Counter. A controversial choice to be sure, but it definitely worked out here. This has to be one of the hardest maps to 1-turn but you pulled it off and a lot quicker than you said you would. Nice work there!

@mcsilas As someone who runs a very tanky team. I really appreciated this run. There was nowhere to run so everyone, even the mage cav tanked everything like a champ. Chrom especially. Running nearly a mono-red cav team against a blue wolf tome mage was a gutsy move. Can't believe you pulled it off!

2 hours ago, Zeo said:

Oh wow your Sigurd has Distant Counter. A controversial choice to be sure, but it definitely worked out here. This has to be one of the hardest maps to 1-turn but you pulled it off and a lot quicker than you said you would. Nice work there!

Thanks, it was fun to ponder out a way for this. 

Sigurd got DC immediately after I pulled him from his first banner. At that time I had my first spare Hector (of 3 ever) and wanted to build a DC Eliwood, but Sigurds sword is just perfect for DC. 

@mampfoid I wish I was as decisive. 2 DC fodders I have, something I never thought I would. But between Chrom, Eirika, Lukas, Effie, Amelia, Sheena and Anna, I'm... well.. in limbo as to who should have the privileged skill.

Edited by Zeo

17 minutes ago, Zeo said:

@mampfoid I wish I was as decisive. 2 DC fodders I have, something I never thought I would. But between Chrom, Eirika, Lukas, Effie, Amelia, Sheena and Anna, I'm... well.. in limbo as to who should have the privileged skill.

My second DC went to Titania. The decision process was easy: 

high utility (check) > own niche (check) > low HM (check) > no armor (check) > shiny new unit (check) > why wait? 

3 hours ago, mampfoid said:

My second DC went to Titania. The decision process was easy: 

high utility (check) > own niche (check) > low HM (check) > no armor (check) > shiny new unit (check) > why wait? 

My issue with DC is that each unit benefits greatly and I have a Niche for nearly every field. On top of that unit appeal is also a thing. Camilla and Titania are great users of DC, but I have no interest in them, on the other hand the only DC blue I have is Camus who's maxed HM. Then you look at the units I'm considering...

• Chrom becomes a colorless and Nino slayer with it.
  • Lukas becomes a mixed tank (with Berkut's Lance+).
  • Effie becomes a better Lukas with 1 MOV.
  • Eirika becomes a swirling whirlpool of death.
  • Amelia becomes Hector #2.
  • Sheena can actually be something other than a wall.
  • Anna becomes a Reinhardt check.

Then you factor in that I like (almost) all of these units equally so bias can't sway me in any particular unit's favor and you have me in perpetual limbo. Doesn't help that half of said units also really love Steady Breath. Objectively Eirika would love DC, but then I'm taking it away from Chrom who could run it if I never acquire Steady/Warding Breath fodder.

@Zeo Chrom and Lukas are members of your endgame main team, that would make them top of my list. Just start with one of them (if you aren't in a desperate need of a Reinhardt counter), perhaps with Lukas because of the lack of blue native DCs. 

@Zeo @mampfoid @Rafiel's Aria @Cute Chao @Poimagic @Vaximillian

Gee Poison Daggers are fun when doing infantry only clears...

So here is my infantry clear using +Spd/-HP M!Robin (with Draw Back, Triangle Adept 3 and Quick Riposte SS), +Def/-Spd PA!Azura (with Wings of Mercy 2 and Distant Def SS), neutral Lyon (with Triangle Adept 1, Iceberg and Breath of Life SS) and +Atk/-Spd Adult Tiki (with Swap and Obstruct SS).

Yes you saw that right. Obstruct seal played a role in this video.

-So yeah Poison Daggers means Triangle Adept mages. In the end, everyone had TA in some form (you can probably tell my lack of Roys since only Robin has Level 3). Although maybe Adult Tiki didn't really need TA but it was just my A skill for her whenever I use her anyway.

-Specific position assists were required in such a tight map like this. Swap and Draw Back were really integral moves in 2:24. This one took me the longest to figure out, but lucky Tiki and Robin already have the necessary assists in their movepool.

-Rare vision of Lyon doubling at 2:38. Also I used Lyon because I haven't build a Sophia yet and Lyon's base kit works well in this map (as seen later).

-Obstruct Tiki does her job in 2:53. Basically, Obstruct prevents the Swordie from reaching the low health Lyon, so he is forced to attack Tiki instead. This breaks Tiki's Obstruct, so the green mage cav attacks Axura- who is thankfully protected by both the Distant Def SS and Lyon's Drive Res. She needs all the health that she can get, and Lyon's Breath of Life helps with that.

At 4:10- Axura takes the stage, completely tanking Ursula's attacks. She needs the Distant Def SS to completely invalidate Ursula's Death Blow + Threaten Res combo. She still gets hit by the AoE attack, but she doesn't care for any blue wolves attacking her thanks to the seal. Not having the seal meant Ursula could still do a tiny amount of damage, which is bad when the AoE attack activates.

-------

Replying to the cavalry clear:

@Zeo Thanks! I couldn't believe it worked the first time as well. I guess it helps that Ursula is the only blue unit, so if you can keep her far back then it gets easier to deal with her once you clear the crowd.

Also I'm a defensive, enemy phase player so I love using tanky units. Chrom in particular is so good once Sealed Falchion activates, he can be deceptively bulky.

@mcsilas I really like how you integrate the music. Making my first steps with video editing, I'm becoming a little aware of those details. 

Nice clear! I watched it on my TV to better listen to the music, it fits to the map like always. Cool how you used obstruct in your clear, I have yet to find the opportunity. I think Azura didn't need Drive Res by Lyon, on the last EP she was out of range but took 0 damage anyway. 

13 hours ago, mampfoid said:

@mcsilas I really like how you integrate the music. Making my first steps with video editing, I'm becoming a little aware of those details. 

Nice clear! I watched it on my TV to better listen to the music, it fits to the map like always. Cool how you used obstruct in your clear, I have yet to find the opportunity. I think Azura didn't need Drive Res by Lyon, on the last EP she was out of range but took 0 damage anyway. 

Thanks! Well i just did a simple fade but it’s nice when the music randomly fits what you see on screen haha. That said i’m currently running out of themes that sort of fit a Fire Emblem game haha.

Well when you’re killing things in 1 turn you probably don’t need Obstruct anyway haha

I didn’t think putting Obstruct on Tiki would actually be such a lifesaver, i was just testing out different SS combinations so it was a happy surprise.

As for Drive Res i think it was important from an earlier try when Azura would still get damaged without the Distant Defense seal but Ursula’s AoE would still knock out Azura if she didn’t have the seal. It was more for when the green mage slips past Tiki and attacks Azura, to try and survive as much as possible. Plus Lyon already has it in his base kit anyway so might as well equip it.

@mcsilas Seeing this made me remember that I kind of wanted to build my Lyon, Sophia is so good though. It was cool seeing PA!Azura playing a more active role here and seeing Ursula deal 0 damage was extremely satisfying. Also funny how 99% of all players runs of this map involve counter killing the Poison Dagger+ ninja on the first turn. He's just too much of a problem.

Also neat use of Obstruct. It's worthless as a B skill, but as a seal it's got possibility in unique maps like this. And I wouldn't worry about the music. There's an endless supply of music for video games. Wide and vast. You won't run out. You'll just eventually widen your horizons, but even if you don't there's plenty of great KOF music you haven't used yet. Like... anything from KOF 98, 99, 2000.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to beat Ursula with fliers today. L!Robin with QR3 seal and flier buffs from Est, Caeda and Ward Fliers from Minerva were the key here. She tanked the ninja during the first round, then the green horse mage attacked Minerva which she barely survived. Ursula and the red horse took care of themselves by attacking L!Robin and then I just had to beat the armor with Caeda and the other ninja with Est.

Now I've just got Xander and F!Robin to beat.

49 minutes ago, pullofthebush said:

Finally managed to beat Ursula with fliers today. L!Robin with QR3 seal and flier buffs from Est, Caeda and Ward Fliers from Minerva were the key here. She tanked the ninja during the first round, then the green horse mage attacked Minerva which she barely survived. Ursula and the red horse took care of themselves by attacking L!Robin and then I just had to beat the armor with Caeda and the other ninja with Est.

Now I've just got Xander and F!Robin to beat.

Wish you luck. Tear them to shreds

@Zeo @mampfoid

Next in line is Ursula. I really like this one. It gives Niles some time in the limelight. I did have small (ok big) screw up in the middle but it wasn’t anything that couldn’t be fixed and didn’t feel like re-recording for it so I just left it there.