So with Echoes: Shadows of Valentia likely being the start of a remake side series, that'd make Genealogy of the Holy War next in line for a remake. While I don't want to talk about the story per se, rather, I would like to talk about the customization of the second generation. If you're unfamiliar, FE4 was the first FE to feature the pairing/child mechanic. Unlike Awakening and Fates, the children weren't optional and had a story all to themselves in the second half of the game. Because of this, players were given the freedom to basically customize nearly a whole party class with different types of holy blood, or even not pair a potential mother, which will result in substitute characters (so a completely new set of characters).

What I had in mind was to take some inspiration from the later games. While child characters had a signature look to them, their hair color was always dictated by whoever their permanent parent married. I think it would be interesting if this was implemented in FE4. While this may seem like a very minor and trivial thing to discuss, I think this minor change of hair color depending on their father can maybe increase the players' interest in their generation 2 characters. So not only do they inherit their mother's looks, they can inherit one of their father's as well. So everytime you play Genealogy and if you make different pairings each time, it would feel like you're playing with a new cast because nearly all of your characters' looks will be somewhat altered. 

For example, let's say you paired Aira with Holyn in your first playthrough. Larcei and Ulster will have blonde hair. But on your next run, you pair her with Lex, resulting in the children having dark blue hair. Although it's a small change, I think a more visual indicator could be significant enough to make an impact on the player that their pairings really affect the second generation cast.

The only characters, aside from the permanent G2 characters (Celice/Oifay/etc.), I can see being an exception to this are Arthur and Tine... for reasons... But they could have highlights or ribbon or something to sort of be that visual indicator.

Maybe if IS had the resources to do so, maybe their armor color palette can also vary as well, to match more closely. But I think I'd rather stick with a cool redesign.

So, thoughts? Yay or nay?

Well does each pairing result in two kids in FE4? Then maybe it can be one kid gets their dad's hair color and the other gets their mom's. The one that has the same hair color as the set/permanent parent can get the other parent's eye color. 

Fun fact: I once was making a whole big thing on FE color genetics. Blue seems to be a dominant gene. There was a lot of incomplete dominance going on since FE characters have more possible colors for hair and eyes than irl. I think I also made red dominant, so if someone gets a blue gene and a red gene, they end up with purple for example.

4 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Well does each pairing result in two kids in FE4? Then maybe it can be one kid gets their dad's hair color and the other gets their mom's. The one that has the same hair color as the set/permanent parent can get the other parent's eye color. 

Fun fact: I once was making a whole big thing on FE color genetics. Blue seems to be a dominant gene. There was a lot of incomplete dominance going on since FE characters have more possible colors for hair and eyes than irl. I think I also made red dominant, so if someone gets a blue gene and a red gene, they end up with purple for example.

Yes, each pairing results in 2 kids, because you're essentially replacing your entire army for an upgraded one (or a really shit one if you hate yourself). 

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

It'd be a nice touch if you paired Holyn and Aira if Ulster and Larcei have extra toes and fingers.

LMAO

Only if Leen and Corple get webbed feet if you pair up Sylvia with Claude.

10 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Lol somehow I think if it's remade, the incest possiblity would be taken out.

Ok but one incestuous pairing is part of the plot though. I'm not sure how they can work around it. They could make them cousins, since it wasn't abnormal for royal cousins to be married in medieval times. The other couples sharing the same holy blood are second cousins I believe.

1 minute ago, unique said:

the incest is kept intact in heroes, so i doubt they'd change it

Plus, Awakening/Fates is full of all sorts of cousin/uncle/niece/aunt/nephew fucking. Fates toned it down a bit, but I think it was still there.

Edited by Slumber

11 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Ok but one incestuous pairing is part of the plot though. I'm not sure how they can work around it. They could make them cousins, since it wasn't abnormal for royal cousins to be married in medieval times. The other couples sharing the same holy blood are second cousins I believe.

Yeah, the one that's part of the plot would still be there. All the others will either be removed or toned down.

3 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Yeah, the one that's part of the plot would still be there. All the others will either be removed or toned down.

They're kind of already toned down. Holyn and Aira are like second cousins or something and it's the same case for Claude and Sylvia allegedly.

The only other "incestuous" pairing I can think of is Celice and Yuria, but that's only possible with a glitch though.

I thought...crap, forgot his name, red head evil fire mage who barbecues Sigurd and steals Deirdre from him, weren't he and Deirdre related somehow? Was his name Alvis? Isn't that the incest pairing that's part of the plot?

Also, second cousins are the closest relation that can have a kid without any risk of deformities. So Holyn and Aira will NOT have kids with extra fingers. Just throwing that out there...

53 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I thought...crap, forgot his name, red head evil fire mage who barbecues Sigurd and steals Deirdre from him, weren't he and Deirdre related somehow? Was his name Alvis? Isn't that the incest pairing that's part of the plot?

Also, second cousins are the closest relation that can have a kid without any risk of deformities. So Holyn and Aira will NOT have kids with extra fingers. Just throwing that out there...

Yeah Alvis is Deirdre's half brother. Their kids didn't get deformities though, they just became the vessels of two super powerful dragons that are in an eternal battle. Go figure.

16 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

They're kind of already toned down. Holyn and Aira are like second cousins or something and it's the same case for Claude and Sylvia allegedly.

The only other "incestuous" pairing I can think of is Celice and Yuria, but that's only possible with a glitch though.

Sylvia's implied to be Claude's little sister.

That's one I could see change.

5 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Yeah Alvis is Deirdre's half brother. Their kids didn't get deformities though, they just became the vessels of two super powerful dragons that are in an eternal battle. Go figure.

Reading this made me wonder if part of the reason they needed such a specific breeding could, in addition to "holy blood", there was some deformity in their brains that made them susceptible to possession... Just potential food for thought...

3 minutes ago, Dragrath said:

Reading this made me wonder if part of the reason they needed such a specific breeding could, in addition to "holy blood", there was some deformity in their brains that made them susceptible to possession... Just potential food for thought...

Interesting idea...I really shouldn't be commenting on it since I know very little about FE4, but I think it's more like Grima and Robin. The bloodline itself produces ideal vessels for the god. Deformities caused by inbreeding are like...an entire royal family that could bleed to death from a paper cut if they weren't careful because their blood didn't clot, which was an actual thing in medieval Europe, forgot which country. Idk how realistic extra fingers/toes is though, that's just an lol idea I guess.

The Claude-Sylvia thing could go, but it'd be meaningless if they only got rid of it in translation. It has to be retconned in the Japanese as well, because otherwise we'd find out about the change and some would call it censorship and thus false.

Also, the game is a bit mixed on the Arvis-Deidre thing.

Pro-incest: Julia is awesome with her 100% Magic growth. Arvis has been suffering since his mother left and father committed suicide- he's Freudian in a sense- having Deidre eases that pain. Both Julia and Julius are perfectly healthy both physically and mentally (well... until Loptyr got in the way).

Anti-incest: The entire thing was manufactured by a plain evil very evil old man who evilly manipulated much of the continent for the sake of creating a vessel for his dark god of evil. In the process, Sigurd loses his wife and is barbecued to keep Deidre from recalling her real husband. It also keeps Aida from ever having a chance to become close to Arvis and giving her son by him a present father. The son born of incest eventually becomes possessed, kills the mom he loved, tortures his father by keeping him alive as he destroys the empire he worked to make a good one, and then is killed while still possessed by his sister and half-brother. And don't forget said possessed child of incest is responsible for the deaths and sufferings of many unnamed others.

I think the emphasis tells you my opinion on how Arvis-Deidre is portrayed.

Also, FE is not so realistic to be concerned with deformities. Sufficient Holy/Dark blood is all that is needed for possession, plus a magic item or dragon god capable of/willing to possess.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

Interesting idea...I really shouldn't be commenting on it since I know very little about FE4, but I think it's more like Grima and Robin. The bloodline itself produces ideal vessels for the god. Deformities caused by inbreeding are like...an entire royal family that could bleed to death from a paper cut if they weren't careful because their blood didn't clot, which was an actual thing in medieval Europe, forgot which country. Idk how realistic extra fingers/toes is though, that's just an lol idea I guess.

I believe the last prince of Russia had that illness. Nickolav or something. But I'm not sure if his parents had any relation. The Tsarina had Germanic origins, and I'm not sure about the Tsar. I think he was also English and was somehow cousins with the German Kaiser, but I can't remember atm.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Claude-Sylvia thing could go, but it'd be meaningless if they only got rid of it in translation. It has to be retconned in the Japanese as well, because otherwise we'd find out about the change and some would call it censorship and thus false.

Also, the game is a bit mixed on the Arvis-Deidre thing.

Pro-incest: Julia is awesome with her 100% Magic growth. Arvis has been suffering since his mother left and father committed suicide- he's Freudian in a sense- having Deidre eases that pain. Both Julia and Julius are perfectly healthy both physically and mentally (well... until Loptyr got in the way).

Anti-incest: The entire thing was manufactured by a plain evil very evil old man who evilly manipulated much of the continent for the sake of creating a vessel for his dark god of evil. In the process, Sigurd loses his wife and is barbecued to keep Deidre from recalling her real husband. It also keeps Aida from ever having a chance to become close to Arvis and giving her son by him a present father. The son born of incest eventually becomes possessed, kills the mom he loved, tortures his father by keeping him alive as he destroys the empire he worked to make a good one, and then is killed while still possessed by his sister and half-brother. And don't forget said possessed child of incest is responsible for the deaths and sufferings of many unnamed others.

I think the emphasis tells you my opinion on how Arvis-Deidre is portrayed.

Also, FE is not so realistic to be concerned with deformities. Sufficient Holy/Dark blood is all that is needed for possession, plus a magic item or dragon god capable of/willing to possess.

I think the audience could finally learn a lesson from this game that incest is bad, it will destroy the world.

It's still better than remove the incest completely, but who know.

May the Forced be with you.

I'll be honest, I am surprised they didn't go with remaking FE4, since its 2nd gen would of left it pretty similar to Fates/Awakening and would of been a good entrance for the new fans to enjoy an older style. Then again, they probably didn't due to the fatigue of child units.

I think that would be cool though. I love the idea of various armor palletes based on their parents too. Anything adding different armor colors/appearances is ok in my book. And sure the hair color is a small detail, but sometimes those small details make it even more fun, especially a bunch of small details together.

Overall, I would love a FE4 remake, and hope they do that next rather than Elibe or Tellius (Tellius I highly doubt will get a remake anytime soon. Maybe an HD rerelease like the FF12 HD rerelease coming out). I would like to see all the japan only games get official versions in the US, even if its a remake. 

3 hours ago, Tolvir said:

I'll be honest, I am surprised they didn't go with remaking FE4, since its 2nd gen would of left it pretty similar to Fates/Awakening and would of been a good entrance for the new fans to enjoy an older style. Then again, they probably didn't due to the fatigue of child units.

I think that would be cool though. I love the idea of various armor palletes based on their parents too. Anything adding different armor colors/appearances is ok in my book. And sure the hair color is a small detail, but sometimes those small details make it even more fun, especially a bunch of small details together.

Overall, I would love a FE4 remake, and hope they do that next rather than Elibe or Tellius (Tellius I highly doubt will get a remake anytime soon. Maybe an HD rerelease like the FF12 HD rerelease coming out). I would like to see all the japan only games get official versions in the US, even if its a remake. 

My three hopes for the series right now:

- FE4/5 remake/s.

- FE Switch being good

- Tellius HD on Switch

I think an FE4/5 remake is a more logical next step after Shadows of Valentia/FE Switch. They'll have the engine/design of the Switch done, they'll (hopefully)establish Echoes as its own series of remakes, and with these two things together, development should be relatively easy/fast/cheap.

Plus, 3DS to Switch is effectively a 2.5 generation jump, so Jugdral Echoes should look pretty nice. So as long as we eventually get a Jugdral Echoes, I'm fine not getting it right now.

Edited by Slumber

7 hours ago, Slumber said:

My three hopes for the series right now:

- FE4/5 remake/s.

- FE Switch being good

- Tellius HD on Switch

I think an FE4/5 remake is a more logical next step after Shadows of Valentia/FE Switch. They'll have the engine/design of the Switch done, they'll (hopefully)establish Echoes as its own series of remakes, and with these two things together, development should be relatively easy/fast/cheap.

Plus, 3DS to Switch is effectively a 2.5 generation jump, so Jugdral Echoes should look pretty nice. So as long as we eventually get a Jugdral Echoes, I'm fine not getting it right now.

I think Echoes might be a subseries to ride the 3ds out until it is finally done personally. I wouldn't be surprised to see the next Echoes on 3ds as well. The Switch has had a pretty rocky start, so it will take a little bit to fully phase out the other systems. If anything, the games at least will be dual release like Warriors. 

At at least that is what I think is going to be the case. Slowly phase out the 3ds. But really hoping for those as well. HD Tellius makes a lot more sense than a remake, and I am really hoping they will take the best parts of the games they have been working on the past few years for Switch. Essentially try and find a good middle ground between traditional Fire Emblem and the new afire Emblem.