How hard is it for a new player to get into trading card games?

BalancedPro

The first and only TCG I played was Yu-Gi-Oh during 2005. 12 years laters I decided to try it again and got destroyed. The power creep was too real and all my cards were worthless.  Is this common for most TCGs? Is the FE cipher any better?

Edited by BalancedPro

Keep up with the meta, or fall behind.  However, Yu-Gi-Oh! is a weird case - every now and then, some random old card suddenly becomes really valuable (Emergency Teleport comes to mind).

I'm happy with Cardfight! Vanguard.  It's relatively cheap and easy to build a half-decent deck (~$35 for one of the more accessible ones).

Can't really speak for Cipher, but I know that some of the older cards still see play.

Power creep is pretty much inevitable in TCGs, but good designers can minimize it. Alternatively, they can be like Yugioh and use power creep as an indirect "subscription fee", whereby if you stop spending money, your deck stops being playable.

I haven't played any other card games, but I don't intend to unless someone else recommends me one AND buys me a deck. Card games have way too much RNG for my taste anyway.

Edited by Zera

I hear that magic: the gathering has very little power creep. This is entirely because old cards stop being tournament legal in the most common format after a while (which the developers did both to minimise power creap, and to minimise unintended interactions between new cards and cards that were published 10 years ago). That being said, it creates a situation where, even in the legacy format where all cards are legal, some of the earliest cards are also the best ones, because the designers got better at balancing over time. Old copies of cards also become tournament legal if a new copy is printed in a new set, so you can still use many of your old cards (this happens a lot, especialy with special land types). My couson plays magic at the tournament level, and i once saw him packing up his childhood room after he got maried. He put aside old magic cards for latter use, often saying something like "awesome. I can use this".

If you want to have fun with tcg mechanics without spending loads of money, there are games that have the advantages of deck construction during play. THis includes both vidio games (like the pokemon tcg game boy game, which is on the 3ds virtual console). and physical games. I personaly love "Quarriors", a game in which everyone starts with the same (bad) deck and then improves it during play. THe game also has a random element so that the potential cards in each game are different. Oddly enough the "cards" are actualy special dice.

Edited by sirmola

If you want to play YGO outside of Asia you better have $500-1000 laying around to buy all the staples and cards that allow you to play and stop the opponent from playing because YGO is fucking retarded. AND if you want to keep up with the meta you better have $300-500 or lying around to just buy the new cards.

Honestly you're better off just playing YGO casually. Pick a low tier deck you like and play with other people who don't want to just play the latest cards and decks.